Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2020, 08:14   #31
BHPian

Re: Nissan Kicks XV Diesel - Ownership Report

Nice review Godzilla. That's a pretty well loaded car for 12.xx lakhs. It's a terrific product at that price point. Please keep updating us from time to time about your car as well as the service experience.
Storm2.0 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 09:35   #32
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Other things

Thanks to all BHPians who made this an awesome space for all automotive things and this is also one of the most passionate spaces in the universe. I am thankful to the moderators who approved my TeamBHP membership. Proud BHPian
Congrats Godzilla
The car looks amazing in Blue and it a real VFM car with a really good proven 1.5L diesel engine and lots of nifty features. The ride also should be first class something similar to Duster/Terrano. I think this one of the most undervalued car due to the brand image of Nissan in India. It is a very sensible buy. It is amazing that you took time to evaluate so many cars and so many details. A good guide to new buyers.

Is the TPMS display permanently fixed above the center console ? Is there any space where it can be seen by driver but not so visible to other passengers, else your beautiful center screen won't give all the praise

Wishing you many miles with your Ikran
sgm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 09:35   #33
BHPian

Congrats on your new Kicks. It looks smashing in this colour. Nissan must be stupid not to make this- Kick's flagship colour in all their marketing. Kicks is a great car. It is very well engineered car. Even though it rides on previous-gen platform, it looks ultra-modern and miles ahead of its cousins Captur and Duster in terms of design and premium feel. Its engine is competent, reliable and efficient. It has all the latest tech too. Nissan needs a lot of such great cars to resurrect its image in India.

However, there are some glaring flaws that made me drop the idea of buying Kicks.

Quote:

Gearlever: Gear throws are medium throw and feel nice. I would not call them sporty. For reverse we need to pull the collar and use the same action as first gear. No complaints.

Attachment 1964401
Attachment 1968228
This was the first deal-breaker for me. I had decided on AT firmly. At least one variant must've come with CVT/TC. Nissan must have lost lakhs of units in sales because of this one omission.

Quote:
Interiors

There is a third stalk. It looks ugly, but this is quite nice to use, especially the rotary button to switch to next song, I dig it. This stalk can be used to toggle between audio sources, attend or cancel phone calls, use in-built voice command to call numbers. The voice commands are restricted to a finite number of commands, I feel it is easier to use Siri.

Attachment 1964419

Attachment 1964412
This was the second deal-breaker. Not just ugly, it looks like an aftermarket fitment. It is totally counter-intuitive to keep rarely used cruise control on the steering wheel but hide the most used controls - audio and telephony at the back of the steering. Also, it doesn't move along the steering. This design is by Renault's "un-ergonomic" designers. They need to be fired for this design IMO. Also, Nissan's part-sharing experts need to be fired for adopting this flawed design.

Yes, I have heard justifications that audio controls might distract from driving, so it is hidden while cruise control is an active control for driving, so it needs to be at the front. By that logic, there should be no Audio/Telephony features at all. Besides, there is enough space on the steering to accommodate all the controls.

Quote:
Though not a deal-breaker, is this the best they could come up with? They could've put an LCD display and eliminated 100 LED lights that mark the selected temperature. It would've looked simple and clean. Also, all buttons are clumped together, making it hard to find what you are looking for. The problem with part-sharing is, when carmakers don't have the sense of which parts to share, they will end up making such silly mistakes. Again Renault designers and Nissan part-sharing experts to be blamed.

These part-sharing blunders stick out like a sour-thumb on an otherwise superbly designed car. It may not look like a big deal, but for customers who are still wary about Nissan, even small misses like these drive the potential customers away.

In summary, adding an AT box and not sharing un-ergonomic parts from Renault would've made this a perfect product. Also, Nissan has to repair its image in India on an urgent basis for its survival.
manjunathkl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 12:26   #34
BHPian

Wonderfully detailed review. Voted 5 stars!

Noticed many of these details on our rather short test drive of the Kicks as well. I liked it, gave it more credit than other people seemed to. Overall a decent car spoiled by an incompetent brand network. Enjoy her for uncountable miles
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 21:22   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Other things

Other items that I keep in the boot:
Attachment 1968195

Proud BHPian
Cracker of a review Godzilla! Your attention to detail is apparent not just in your review but also through the items kept in the boot picture 👍

Wishing you happy miles and till we get official TBHP review (if we do) yours will act as good reference point.
Diesel_Drives is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 17:30   #36
BHPian

Very well done Godzilla!

Lots of time invested in taking pictures and writing content. Highly appreciated !

I see people suprised by how good the car is!. Just a classic example of applying our own brains and exploring all the options instead of blindly following the crowd.

Nissan has everything needed to be among the top three in India, but IMO they are not getting the most important thing right at this stage-pricing.

To capture the market share from the established players (the big two-Maruti and Hyundai) first thing they need to is to attract the crowd with mouth watering prices. They simply cannot price their products at par with the hot products and hope somehow people will lean towards them watching commercials and online reviews.

Get some numbers in with attractive prices to spot their cars more regurarly on the road.

Another very very important criterion for an average Indian buyer is to spot the cars more on the road to lean towards them.

As pointed out earlier in another post, they could have resolved the ergonomic issues. But having said that you will get used to them in a short period .

It is good that you have pointed out the minor 'faults' in the car.

But it is great to know that the positives out number the negatives which ulimately is the decision maker for all buyers.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 00:01   #37

An excellent and exhaustive report on Nissan Kicks XV Diesel.

The XVD Pre Mono / Dual variant has four cameras for parking assistance. These cameras help the driver to view obstacles on all four sides!

Can anyone comment on their practical usability in actual conditions?
mukkavil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 07:45   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukkavil View Post
An excellent and exhaustive report on Nissan Kicks XV Diesel.

The XVD Pre Mono / Dual variant has four cameras for parking assistance. These cameras help the driver to view obstacles on all four sides!

Can anyone comment on their practical usability in actual conditions?

Thanks Mukkavil. I have experienced the 360 camera for a short time while test drive. The feature is super useful in tight spaces, especially if you live in a city with cramped streets and parking in tight spots.

However, the resolution was OK. I am not sure if adjusting the brightness level of display would have made it look better. I would suggest checking the resolution in person. May be others who are using it on a regular basis may be able to guide you.
Old 5th March 2020, 17:09   #39
BHPian

Fantastic review man, 5 stars from my side! And the car is certainly a looker.

By the way, is the referral connection still possible? Would like to check, if possible. Sorry, couldn't PM you (my account's still limited).
ridehard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 21:23   #40
J.r

Quote:
The Floormats used here are a third-party accessory
- Hi Godzilla, a great thread for reference. I am buying Kicks. Wanted to know where you brought the floor mats from? Is it local shop or online? Can you please share details and the cost you paid. Thanks in advance.
J.r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 23:30   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.r View Post
- Hi Godzilla, a great thread for reference. I am buying Kicks. Wanted to know where you brought the floor mats from? Is it local shop or online? Can you please share details and the cost you paid. Thanks in advance.
Congrats on your purchase. Do update the pictures and experience.

I bought the car mat from KarX Adyar. It was around 6500 if I remember correctly. Address: New No: 31, 1st Ave, Shastri Nagar, Adyar, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600020, India, Phone: +91 89036 27352.
Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 23:32   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridehard View Post
Fantastic review man, 5 stars from my side! And the car is certainly a looker.

By the way, is the referral connection still possible? Would like to check, if possible. Sorry, couldn't PM you (my account's still limited).
Yes, email me here krsnadas88@yahoo.com and let me know know, I can connect you with someone who could help.
Godzilla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 12:58   #43
BHPian

Awesome and pretty detailed review @Godzilla ! The Kicks is the under dog of the Indian compact SUVs. A very competent and well rounded package. If Nissan had under priced it right it could have turned their fortunes. Bad pricing at launch and dicey image of Nissan brand was disastrous combination. When I brought the Creta recently the only reason I didn't go for the kicks was the scary thought that Nissan India would shut shop making the net value of my new purchase. Also ASC was 200 kms away.
mh09ad5578 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 07:29   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, email me here krsnadas88@yahoo.com and let me know know, I can connect you with someone who could help.
Thank you! I've dropped you an email.
ridehard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 08:49   #45
BHPian

Congratulations Godzilla on your purchase. Its a very comprehensive and to the point review. Nissan makes vehicles that are built to last, not tin box to suit the mass segment. I own a Nissan Micra Xv diesel, with 9 years and 1,37,000 kms of happy ownership. Wish you years and kms of happy ownership. Just a caution: Due to low volume of cars, the workshops often trick you into repair/ replacements of perfectly fine working parts (eg timing belt, brake disc, pads, suspension), ac overhaul, etc. Just check the user manual for what company recommends for each service/ take a second opinion before taking the final call. Also take the car personally to the workshop and keep and eye while your car is being serviced.
bravo82in is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks