Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2020, 13:17   #16
BHPian

72000 km with my Ford Endeavour 3.2L - Ownership Experience

Ford India just needs to do a few engineering changes as mentioned by Prateek and Ace here on Team BHP and the endeavour will continue to give them good Sales. I have a hunch they are reading the reviews here too like Tata has done? But it maybe too late for FY 21 as the BS6 version is imminent.

The Endeavour is now on my Pre owned buy list for sure. Fan base of the car is no less passionate than Fiat/BMW cars in India.

Last edited by Ford5 : 7th February 2020 at 13:19.
Ford5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 23:59   #17
BHPian

Re: 72000 km with my Ford Endeavour 3.2L - Ownership Experience

Indeed a fantastic review . Thanks very much . I am thinking of getting an Endy as I find Fortuner a bit dated. But I have some concerns .
1. Can you provide a link or some more information about the side-step modification. I have some concerns of side step due to a) may not be usable to old persons like my parents b) may get damaged in case of off-roading
2. Due to its length did you find it difficult to make very sharp hair-pin turns in a narrow road ?
3. Is the ramp over angle good enough for roads in Bum La (Arunachal), Sandakphu, Spiti , Sach Pass ?
4. Does it comes with a underbody protection skid plates or you need to fit it post delivery ? In case of later can you let me know what did you use?
brownianmotion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 07:48   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownianmotion View Post
Indeed a fantastic review . Thanks very much . I am thinking of getting an Endy as I find Fortuner a bit dated. But I have some concerns .
1. Can you provide a link or some more information about the side-step modification. I have some concerns of side step due to a) may not be usable to old persons like my parents b) may get damaged in case of off-roading
2. Due to its length did you find it difficult to make very sharp hair-pin turns in a narrow road ?
3. Is the ramp over angle good enough for roads in Bum La (Arunachal), Sandakphu, Spiti , Sach Pass ?
4. Does it comes with a underbody protection skid plates or you need to fit it post delivery ? In case of later can you let me know what did you use?
Hey,

Let me attempt to answer some of these and we can surely connect offline for more details:

1) The side step modification was a simple removal of the current side step which is great for stepping into the car (especially for elderly folks) but poses challenges during off-roading and increases the probability of beaching. You can google rock sliders and find a lot of information about it. My design is sort of between a traditional footstep and the most effective rock-slider design so that it can serve the needs of both getting into the car and being usable as a slider in off-road conditions. It does a fair job at both (I have purposefully increased the width of the slider below rear seats to achieve this)

2) No - never felt that at all. It is just a matter of calibration if you have driven a hatch or mini-sedan before. Between say driving this or a Fortuner, I do not have to be extra careful with this as far as length is concerned. In-fact, the steering makes hair pin bends all the more easier to manage

3) Yes - been to some of those places, never had any challenge at all. The ramp-over angle issue is only apparent if you take it off-road for extreme climbs and descents - stuff you would normally not come across in any of these places

4)It has skid plates upfront which do a decent job and underbody fuel tank protection which I found inadeuquate because of off-road use. For highway/general overlanding purposes - the protection is decent enough. Think about adding only if you plan to off-road heavily with it.
prateekvidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 17:22   #19
BHPian

Those are some really nice pictures. Really great fun being able to go to the places you went, you must be glad that you compromised your 20L budget and went for this car instead of the Creta.
I've always thought that the Endeavour looks the best in class and with Ford offering a pretty good after sales experience, it makes a great offering.

Between the Fortuner and the Endeavour, was there a situation where you thought one car fared better than the other?
BMvW.Rajat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 10:13   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMvW.Rajat View Post
Those are some really nice pictures. Really great fun being able to go to the places you went, you must be glad that you compromised your 20L budget and went for this car instead of the Creta.
I've always thought that the Endeavour looks the best in class and with Ford offering a pretty good after sales experience, it makes a great offering.

Between the Fortuner and the Endeavour, was there a situation where you thought one car fared better than the other?
Thank you so much - glad your enjoyed it !

I am pretty sure with the options I had on a possible 20L car, I would have been pretty flat on the energy curve by now and the car would, in all likelihood, not have done anywhere close to 72k as quickly as this one did !

The two cars (Fortuner & Endeavour) match in a number of aspects. In my opinion - here are some areas where I find things to be different :

On-road driving experience - Significant advantage with the Endeavour (unless you are a manual gearbox buff) for regular on-road (city/highway) drives - light steering, great gearbox, abundant engine power combined with the quality interior features like noise cancellation, tech (android auto and the likes) and speaker systems.

Off-road driving experience - Fortuner with its better power-to-weight ratio and ATRAC holds an edge. To elaborate a bit more - Endeavour's weight and poor breakover angle makes it disadvantageous in certain offroad situations so things may not be as easy to manage as in a Fortuner.

Maintenance - While Ford has been prompt in changing parts under warranty - the fact is that a lot of cars have had part changes done - the reliability on electronics and motors is a bit too much compared to the Fortuner (where such replacements are much lower). Barring that, Ford has done a good job in keeping service costs rather low for an engine of this size !

Last edited by Sheel : 26th April 2020 at 13:42. Reason: Duplicate post deleted.
prateekvidya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed