Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2020, 10:38   #16
BHPian

Re: My French Quirkiness - Peugeot 3008

I have to say, it takes guts to own a French car in the Gulf! My dad used to be a fan of French cars during my childhood in Kuwait and we owned three - a 2002 Citroen Xsara 2.0 (which was specially ordered by the previous owner, only 1.6 was officially available in Kuwait), a 2004 Citroen C5 2.0 (with a cool self-leveling hydro-pneumatic suspension) and a 2004 Renault Clio 1.4. While the Citroen C5 was trouble-free (despite the complicated suspension), the Xsara and Clio constantly had engine-troubles and repeatedly broke down due to engine overheating. The dealerships never figured out the problem in either!

I always thought French cars are unreliable before I saw how popular they were in Europe. Maybe they it's the heat in the Gulf Offcourse, it was a long time ago and French cars have improved leaps and bounds in terms of reliability.

How's the AC in the 3008? Back in the day, French cars had terrible AC but I heard that Peugeots and Renaults these days are tested in the Gulf for their AC before launch and actually get better AC units for the Gulf.

Anyway, congrats on your gorgeous purchase, Vive la France!

Last edited by dragracer567 : 24th February 2020 at 10:48. Reason: Typo
dragracer567 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 11:52   #17
BHPian

Sorry to ask a noob question but all the amounts you quoted...what is the currency you are using? AED?
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 12:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
It was back in 2017 when I was at the Geneva Motor Show when news broke that the 3008 had won the Car of the Year 2017.
Peugeot has proudly displayed that in all their 3008s. Even my car had a sticker on the rear glass - 2017 Car of the Year.

That sticker is the first thing I removed when I went for tinting.

Quote:
As you have said, Peugeots have moved on from the ugly cars they used to make a decade back to desirable ones, the new 208 and the 208 GTi for example, and even cars from their sister brands Citroen and DS.
When I went to buy the 3008, there was a pre-owned blue 308 GT Line in the showroom. My heart called out to that car, it was damn sexy!

The car was priced just a tad over our 3008, had many more features and of course, looked cool. But wifey did not want a hatch & it was never in the consideration list. Ironically, it was delivered on the same day I went to pick my car and it was standing next to my car in the delivery area!

My French Quirkiness - Peugeot 3008-peugeot_308_5.jpg

Quote:
just like any other French car, lots of quirkiness in the 3008. The placement of the start/stop button for example.
It is actually quite convenient as it is in line of sight instead of hidden behind the steering. But the long press required to start or stop the engine was unnecessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
I have to say, it takes guts to own a French car in the Gulf!

Quote:
the Xsara and Clio constantly had engine-troubles and repeatedly broke down due to engine overheating. The dealerships never figured out the problem in either!

I always thought French cars are unreliable before I saw how popular they were in Europe. Maybe they it's the heat in the Gulf Offcourse, it was a long time ago and French cars have improved leaps and bounds in terms of reliability.
As of now, the car is in warranty for the next 3 years. And it will be sold before the warranty expires!

Quote:
How's the AC in the 3008? Back in the day, French cars had terrible AC but I heard that Peugeots and Renaults these days are tested in the Gulf for their AC before launch and actually get better AC units for the Gulf.
It is fantastic. In fact, anything more than blower level 2 will chill your spine!

Quote:
Anyway, congrats on your gorgeous purchase, Vive la France!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Sorry to ask a noob question but all the amounts you quoted...what is the currency you are using? AED?
I have mentioned all amounts in Indian rupees. It has been converted from AED .

Last edited by raj_5004 : 24th February 2020 at 12:43.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 14:45   #19
BHPian

Congratulations on the brilliant car. Was eagerly waiting excitedly for the launch of this in India. Now the company has chosen to launch Citroen instead. IMHO, this is one of the best looking cars in the planet at present. Can't get enough!

Happy miles and enjoy your sexy ride!
rangarx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 09:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
Congratulations on the brilliant car. Was eagerly waiting excitedly for the launch of this in India. Now the company has chosen to launch Citroen instead. IMHO, this is one of the best looking cars in the planet at present. Can't get enough!

Happy miles and enjoy your sexy ride!
Thanks buddy.

The Citroen range was discontinued in the UAE somewhere back in 2016 I guess. But even now, I personally feel that Peugeot models are more apt for the Indian market, especially the 208, 308, 2008 & 3008.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 15:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Updating this thread after a long time now.

The 3008 is primarily used by my wife and I drive it only during weekends. The car has been a reliable performer till now. Due to Covid, we have work from home and hence my wife did not drive the car much.

However, since the service was due as per the time limit, I took it to the authorized Peugeot service centre. This was my first experience with the Peugeot service team and I was both impressed and unimpressed at the same time due to reasons mentioned below -

+ Raised a request for service on Saturday night 10.30 pm on their website, got a call by 8.30 am on Sunday morning and service was scheduled for 8 am on Monday morning. That is very prompt and efficient, especially considering my Chrysler service team who takes 7~10 days just to give me a service appointment.
+ Could drop off the car to the service centre at my convenience the previous night. The service advisor promptly called me the next morning and updated me the approx cost of service and when the car would be ready and also asked if I had any issues. He even called me back in the afternoon giving me an update on the car and to inform me that it is ready to be picked up.
+ The SA was pretty responsive and has sound technical know-how, which is nice since you feel your car is in good hands.

- Coming to negatives, the service centre ambience was pretty basic and not swanky/posh like the Chrysler or Ford facilities. It felt more like an upmarket garage rather than an authorized service centre.
- It costed me approx INR 22,500 for a basic service which includes change of oil, oil filter, air filter & a general vehicle check up. That is very steep considering my Chrysler with a V8 costs me only INR 15K.

Apart from the above, the SA recommended me to change the tyres and everything else is okay with the 3008.

It is a peppy little city crossover and the small & light steering just adds to the fun of zipping around town. The engine is a very decent performer and sips very little fuel and and NVH inside the cabin (both engine & ambient noise) is very well controlled.

Overall, we are happy with the purchase barring the high service costs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks