Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2020, 13:16   #16
BHPian

Re: Living with a Volvo V40 Cross Country

Congratulations VJbox. Thanks a lot for your review which explains all the important aspects. I wanted to check some details of V40 hence visited Volvo India website but they have not listed V40 there which surprised me.
amolathalye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 13:45   #17
BHPian

The V40 model has been discontinued globally.
dsvikki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 14:55   #18
BHPian

Congrats! V40 in white color looks stunning
SJQIL87 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 15:18   #19
BHPian

Congratulations!

I have done 4K plus on ODO in EUROPE in Volvo V60 from car rental. I absolutely loved adaptive cruise control, lane correction features.

If only our Indian car makers can bring some of those features, with improvement in camera and sensors not sure if it will be prohibitive cost wise.
efgritesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 16:28   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbox View Post
Exterior
The car has had one annual service so far at 10,000 KMS. It was a standard service with the regular Engine oil, coolant, multi filter, air filter that were changed and the software was upgraded. The total service bill after all discounts was 24k INR. I have generally been happy with the service centre and their customer treatment has been good with occasional invitations to certain events and regular follow ups from their customer service desk. In recent service they did miss out on some areas that followed up on and they promptly got it checked and rectified.
Congratulations on your purchase, its thrilling to buy something you have always wanted. Just something amiss in your service bill, I did not understand the need for the Coolant and Air Filter change, Air Filter replacement on S60 has been happening at 20000 Km interval and Coolant change happens at 40000 Km interval.

Last edited by vb-saan : 26th February 2020 at 18:21. Reason: Quote tags fixed
M.Dua is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 17:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Rated a well deserved 5 star - a very well written, neatly laid out thread. Congratulations on the car and wish you many more happy miles.

V40 is really an underrated car, but I love the design and have been always a fan of the understated design of Volvos. Please do add more photos taken outside.
Thanks, Anoop. I will certainly add more photos from some of the recent trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvikki View Post
Congratulations! Great review. Its a great car. I got one in July 2018, have done 20K KM so far and its been a great experience.

The only complaint i have is the tyres. The Pirelli P7 Centuratos (225/45 R18s) are not fit for our roads. Have had a tyre burst (sidewall damage) and a tyre bulge (side wall) happen back to back in the first 18 months. The sad part is that 225/45 R18s (non RFTs) don't seem to be available outside Volvo dealerships and they cost almost 30k/tyre. The good part is that my Volvo insurance covers tyre damage and so the pinch to the wallet has been minimal. I did have to change the battery (under warranty) as it died on me. Guess that was a one off. The Volvo roadside assistance was prompt and the vehicle was towed to the service center and battery replaced under warranty and all was well. I would recommend you figure out how change the car to neutral when the electricals fail. I had to google it when my car was stuck (thankfully just outside my workplace) and not in a busy road.
Nice to learn you are enjoying the car too. I got to agree on the Pirellis. While I was happy to get Pirellis, it did surprise me to hear its cost when I checked with the SA. At that time, he quoted 25k per tire. It is one of the reasons I drive the car very carefully on bad roads and at times people give me stares seeing me crawl on those sections.

Well, on the battery issue, let's say two-off? As mine died on me too and its a story to be written on its own. Long story short, my wife planned a trip to Yelagiri for a weekend with her colleagues and they are assembled with their cars. I took the car out of the building, switched it off and waited for the parties to get in. While they were getting ready to get in, I start the car and boom, things go blank on the dash and instrument cluster. After a few minutes, I realized the battery was dead. I called the RSA and they showed up in under an hour. They jump-started the car, waited to see if the battery was taking some juice but it didn't. They eventually put the car on a tow bed and took it to the service center who then tell me its a rare issue and changed the battery under warranty. I had to face the embarrassment with my wife in front of her colleagues and to this day they joke around how a Volvo can fail! We only thanked ourselves that it didn't die when climbing a hill !

So it looks like it not that rare after all given it happened to you too

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the same thread. To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by vb-saan : 26th February 2020 at 18:25. Reason: Please refer to the Mod Note above. Thank you for your understanding!
vjbox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 18:31   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk007 View Post
congratulations mate! Beautiful car! I agree 100% on the understated nature of VOLVO. Quick Q - did you get the ceramic coating done at Volvo or an outside vendor? Also, did it come with any warranty? Those rims look nice. Does it have Apple Play and Android Auto?
Thanks! I got the coating done at third party vendor in ECR who gave me the cheapest quote while ceramic pro quoted 70k!

Yeah, the RIMS called the Mettalah - you can find it here on their site. I did start to like them.

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-509896/2019

Sensus Connect in the V40 is based on the last-gen system and it doesn't support Apple Carplay and Android Auto. Only the new Volvos with the CMA and SPA architecture that come with the portrait screens support Carplay and Android Auto.

I honestly don't miss it though since a phone mounted does the job well and Sat Nav is decent enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolathalye View Post
Congratulations VJbox. Thanks a lot for your review which explains all the important aspects. I wanted to check some details of V40 hence visited Volvo India website but they have not listed V40 there which surprised me.
Thanks! V40 as a platform has reached the end of its life and Volvo moved to their new CMA based platform where they are producing the new hit model XC40. Thats a sweet car too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgritesh View Post
Congratulations!

I have done 4K plus on ODO in EUROPE in Volvo V60 from car rental. I absolutely loved adaptive cruise control, lane correction features.

If only our Indian car makers can bring some of those features, with improvement in camera and sensors not sure if it will be prohibitive cost wise.
V60 is a great car too! Yes, the Driver support pack features are great and I love Lane-keeping Aid. At times it surprises you by correcting you into a lane and it does it so intuitively.

While I believe Indian Manufacturers can certainly look a slice of these features on their 15L+ cars, I am not certain if their R&D is up there yet. On the flip side, I don't think our mainstream users are sold on safety features yet as much as they do with the looks and gizmos. Its a long process and I wish the mentality changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Dua View Post
Congratulations on your purchase, its thrilling to buy something you have always wanted. Just something amiss in your service bill, I did not understand the need for the Coolant and Air Filter change, Air Filter replacement on S60 has been happening at 20000 Km interval and Coolant change happens at 40000 Km interval.
Thanks! Certainly, a great feeling to drive a car like this.

I am not sure if it's any different for the V40 but they did change it and was mentioned in the invoice. Perhaps I need to check with them on what the deal there?

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the same thread. To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th February 2020 at 05:39. Reason: Please refer the note posted above.
vjbox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 23:11   #23
BHPian

Great review ! As a fellow chennai based v40 cc owner I was thrilled to see it. Mine is a late 2017 model. I was quite jealous to see the inclusion of BLIS and paddle shifters !! I still have fantasies that Volvo will offer us an updated ICE with CarPlay via an update one day, but I’m also quite certain that will remain just a fantasy :-)
reihem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 09:29   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
Great review ! As a fellow chennai based v40 cc owner I was thrilled to see it. Mine is a late 2017 model. I was quite jealous to see the inclusion of BLIS and paddle shifters !! I still have fantasies that Volvo will offer us an updated ICE with CarPlay via an update one day, but I’m also quite certain that will remain just a fantasy :-)
Thanks mate! Good to meet a fellow V40 member from Chennai- we should definitely catchup sometime. Yeah the 2018 models they sold here were fully loaded and that was a major USP for me. No other car even in a couple of segments above offered all of this together. On carplay I did do some basic research and it doesnt look possible given the platform on which its written. There are some third party mods that enables this but it looked too much of a pain to go through. Will DM you my contact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Thankyou for this review. This is a devastatingly beautiful car. A complete head turner and a joy to drive. Wish you many miles of joyful driving.
Thank you! It is indeed a Scandinavian beaut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash2424 View Post
Great review, I just purchased a V90 Cross country and its amazing how Volvo hasn't deleted any safety features across the range. But unfortunately some of these features are going to be removed from 2020.
Congratulations on your V90. I loved the car when I saw it in the flesh here!

Its a unique trait that Volvo has kept on so far to keep all safety systems as standard. It will definitely be a shame if they are removing some of these features and it can lose that Volvo pedigree.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 27th February 2020 at 09:43. Reason: Back to back posts.
vjbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 10:20   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Nano Ceramic Coating - 27k

Attachment 1972903

In its full glory
May I ask what prompted you to choose ceramic coating over ppf ? Or was ppf never a consideration to begin with ? I was mesmerised by the finish that ceramic coating offered, but finally decided on ppf because of highway usage and the fear of my bonnet chipping from loose gravel etc. I don’t have buyers remorse but I always feel jealous when I see the shine that ceramic customers enjoy.
reihem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 15:14   #26
BHPian

Congratulations! The V40 looks really great in white with tan interiors. Simple and ageless. Happy miles to you and your family.
Gixxy.danger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 16:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations VJBox!! Lovely ride there! Excellent built quality!

I really really like this car except for the D3 tune and 6 speed AT, as you have mentioned. This can be a Rockstar with D4 + 8 Speed Asin GB.

Wish you a very happy ownership! Drive safe!
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 21:43   #28
BHPian

Congratulations on your V40. That is one beautiful car you got there! Drive safe.
motorotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 01:48   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Well, on the battery issue, let's say two-off? As mine died on me too and its a story to be written on its own. Long story short, my wife planned a trip to Yelagiri for a weekend with her colleagues and they are assembled with their cars. I took the car out of the building, switched it off and waited for the parties to get in. While they were getting ready to get in, I start the car and boom, things go blank on the dash and instrument cluster. After a few minutes, I realized the battery was dead. I called the RSA and they showed up in under an hour. They jump-started the car, waited to see if the battery was taking some juice but it didn't. They eventually put the car on a tow bed and took it to the service center who then tell me its a rare issue and changed the battery under warranty. I had to face the embarrassment with my wife in front of her colleagues and to this day they joke around how a Volvo can fail! We only thanked ourselves that it didn't die when climbing a hill !

So it looks like it not that rare after all given it happened to you too
I own a red 2017 V40 in Chennai too! Mine is the new Thor's hammer 4-cyl D3 as well, but I'm missing adaptive cruise control, lane keeping aid and BLIS :(

The battery issue is definitely not one-off. Mine was a Volvo-branded AGM battery that died in exactly two years. I even got the Bosch C7 to help revive that battery but it was totally dead. I was advised to have it changed outside and I had it replaced with an Amaron and had no problems since.

I've replaced the stock rubber with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, and there's a considerable difference in handling and NVH compared to stock. You could look at those. I got sidewall tears in my stock set, and had to replace them.

Quote:
Thanks mate! Good to meet a fellow V40 member from Chennai- we should definitely catchup sometime. Yeah the 2018 models they sold here were fully loaded and that was a major USP for me. No other car even in a couple of segments above offered all of this together. On carplay I did do some basic research and it doesnt look possible given the platform on which its written. There are some third party mods that enables this but it looked too much of a pain to go through. Will DM you my contact.
A weekend meetup with our Scandinavians does sound great! I've never done one of those before

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th February 2020 at 02:45. Reason: shortening quoted posts
hortons15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 09:28   #30
BHPian

Thank you for the detailed review.

That is a beautiful car, I must say. Very understated, but the lines are truly classy. Also being a Volvo, there is a certain exclusivity in owning one, in midst of the plenty of German trio to be seen on the roads nowadays.

Their design language seems to have taken a massive shift from the very dependable but boxy designs of the past. The car also seems to be packed with a lot of desirable features.

Enjoy your ride and wishing you miles and miles of enjoyment.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks