Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2020, 10:33   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Driven: Jaguar XE Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
This was again one big dilemma during my purchase - XE uses regular high profile tyres which are relatively easily available in the market and light on pocket compared to low profile RFTs of 330i. But after more than a year of driving the 330i, I am really happy with the RFTs. The low profiles look smashing too, which is an added bonus. There is a price to pay for this though and the current devaluation of my mutual fund portfolio keeps bringing back the thought of that Jag running on regular tyres
The higher profile tyres in the XE do let it down during hard cornering, where the 3 would not miss a beat. That being said, the chassis is excellent and may be a bit better than the 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus1134 View Post
That is one badass looking car! Love the deep blue paint job which strikes a great contrast with the black grille and rims, rather than all-black.
The blue shade this car had really did look good, but nowhere as good as the red colour also available on the XE. That would be my choice of colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The car looks sharp. It is unfortunate that Jaguar did not spend enough time on tuning the gearbox. Hopefully; this can be corrected over time with a software update.

The dashboard can benefit from an update in look and materials. Also; the HVAC stack is different to the car sold in New Zealand. We get some graphics along side the physical controls. You can see this here:
The gearbox probably can be helped a fair bit with a software update, hopefully Jaguar will do something about it soon.

We get the basic ac controls, while in other markets there is an optional higher end version which is similar to the Ranger Rovers, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
One more thing I noticed was that the speed alert at 80 kph and 120 kph were extremely subtle. I could barely hear it even with the AC off. Completely non-intrusive and very muted single tone.
Yes you are right, the speed alert was very bearable to deal with. And I was pleasantly surprised to see this. Its the same in all JLR cars. Big thumbs up to them.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 21:31   #17
BHPian

I took the TD of C Class and the pre-facelift XE recently and I somehow found the rear seats of XE to be lot more comfier than the baby merc in terms of support, specially the under thigh support. I see a lot of criticism for the rear seats of Jaguar XE contrary to my observation so it's my advice to dear BHPians that please do have a look personally because everyone might have a different definition of comfort. For some it may be outright leg room for some it may be well bolstered seats, you got the gist right.
sachin_cs is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 14:38   #18
BHPian

I was looking forward to the launch of this car, but now I think a BMW 3 series might just be a slightly better option - I love Jaguar and all, but there’s some slight feeling of missing out on something that I just can’t lay my finger on. It’s not a wholesome package, I think.

Has too many quirks (weird dashboard, ugly alloy wheels, etc), but that’s just me.

The 330i Sport line BMW would be the best alternative.
Old 23rd April 2020, 13:46   #19
BHPian

IMHO, leaving aside the digital tacho-console, the cockpit design (especially the centre console) does not befit a luxury vehicle. It looks pretty average in comparison to other competitors and even some 20 lakh price range vehicles have better design.
Old 26th July 2021, 13:49   #20
BHPian

Happy to report that I’ve closed on an unregistered (ODO 3.6k km) XE P250 SE at a mouth watering ex showroom price & I cannot stop grinning at having this bad baby in my humble garage
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: Jaguar XE Facelift-8a8fe9d876b34a849ff6ae96a13cea20.jpeg  

Tutenkhamen is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 08:21   #21
BHPian

Having recently sold my 2016 Jaguar XE for the low twenties, I was curious as to what that sort of money could buy in the used car market. Quite honestly, I believe this is the best way to burn a 20-25L hole in your pocket. Here are all the reasons why, illustrated through the love story with mine.

Just from the test drive, it was love at first sight. It had to be the one. It sounded incredible, it looked beautiful and it just felt right in all ways possible. More-so than its German counterparts.
Apart from the price. That didn’t feel right at all. Commanding an almost 10L premium over the C, it was a hard bullet to bite. But I knew, it was either the XE or nothing. It was game, set, match. I’ll take one in odyssey red please!

August 13th, 2016: Delivery day! A (somewhat) smooth delivery process quite early in the morning. Regardless, I just wanted to done with it so I could go out and drive! Here are some beauty shots from the day.

Driven: Jaguar XE Facelift-20160814_113729.jpg

The experience till now: The Jaguar XE is something quite special. I really do wonder why we don’t have more of these on the roads considering you see a C class or a 3 series around every corner. But perhaps, that’s a blessing in disguise as the XE feels a lot more exclusive.
If I could sum up the last 5 years and 46000kms in one sentence. I’d say the XE is characterfully flawed, but you forgive it for what it does best. And that is DRIVE!

Driven: Jaguar XE Facelift-img_6210.jpg

What Sucks:
The infotainment. Old, laggy, quite useless at anything you ask it do and overall, you’re much better off just using google maps.
The wheels: Tiny little 17 inch wheels look quite small and don’t seem to fill the arches as nicely as you’d hope.
The features (or lack thereof): Ventilated seats? Nope. 360 degree Cam? Nope. Keyless Entry? Nope. LED headlamps? Nope. Just the DRLs for you. Digital dash? Nope.
Not that I ever craved for rear seat leg room, but this one is best enjoyed up-front. The back seats are quite cramped and you’d rather just drive anyways.
Some of the fit and finish is sub-par. But that’s okay, its a Jag after all.
The AC feels like an old man blowing through a straw.

Now, does any of the above matter? Not too much. Because it does the important stuff incredibly well.

What really doesn’t suck:
The Engine: The car sounds incredible for a 4 cylinder. It crackles between shifts and pops when you rev it (albeit not like a hooligan). Its got a healthy wave of torque and ample power to push you right back into your seat.
The Looks: Oh it’s a head turner alright. In my numerous journeys across the country with her, seeing the joyful reactions of children and adults alike when they see the car is priceless. Ian Callum did an incredible job with the proportions of this car. As he did with the DB9. As he did with the XK.
The Handling: This is my favourite thing about the XE. It handles like an absolute delight. An aluminium monocoque paired with one of the best feeling EPAS I have driven to date and well tuned suspension, it devours a twisty road like nothing else. The balance is intoxicating. The way it grips and the way it lets go (it does get a bit tail happy sometimes) is so linear, predictable, and rewarding to get right.
The Theater: Yes. Like any other Jaguar fanatic. I must mention the rising gear selector (dubbed the Jaguar handshake). But what makes more of a theatrical impression is the way the interior is laid out. The ambient lights, the dials turning red and the Riva loop around the cockpit. It is genuinely a very nice place to be. Pair that with a panoramic sunroof, the sublime meridian surround sound system and the rather excellent looking dash. Combined with the aforementioned pros, it is such a special place to be.
Driven: Jaguar XE Facelift-img_0677.jpg

The running costs: People say Jags are expensive to run and notoriously unreliable. My experience has been quite the contrary. Despite receiving a fair share of abuse from my end, nothing has gone wrong with it so far! Living proof that if you take care of the car (let it warm up etc.) then even the heaviest right foot won’t do your car much harm.

I’ve had fond experiences with this one. From hitting V-Max at high 3-digit speeds to shredding its tires with some celebratory donuts shortly thereafter. It does everything very well. Even sitting in traffic is quite fun with the engine gently purring away. Perfection in imperfection is what makes you absolutely fall for this car.

As you can probably tell, I’m very fond of the XE. Dare I say it, I’m quite in love with it. Having driven everything from an Indica to a Huracan (and everything in between), I always feel content getting back into mine. Alas, all good things come to an end. I had to part ways with her as it was time to get something new again. But I wasn’t done with the XE yet. So I bought another one! Albeit the facelift. Will post a full review on the updates once I get the car delivered if you guys are interested.

If I can leave you with one thing from reading this. I would say, if you have 20-25L to spend on a car, buy a 2016-18 Jaguar XE in petrol. If you don’t, sell your house, sell your kids, sell your kidneys. Buy one. Trust me. I’ve bitten the same bullet, twice.

Driven: Jaguar XE Facelift-img_0665.jpg

Driven: Jaguar XE Facelift-img_9438.jpg
Driven: Jaguar XE Facelift-img_2748.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 13th August 2021 at 13:20. Reason: High-speed reference edited.
ParthVyas777 is offline   (71) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 11:21   #22
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

What a fantastic machine and a very nice and short review. Would definitely want to own one someday.

I just have a question. The ground clearance is 110mm (I'm not sure). How does it fare on outstation trips and bad roads? From what I've experienced, anywhere from 155-165mm is somewhat usable for me and any less would cause panic (Superb and C220D would scrape at a lot of speedbrakers, not the case with Vento).

Last edited by vredesbyrd : 14th August 2021 at 11:34. Reason: Lol I wrote 110m
vredesbyrd is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 11:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
How does it fare on outstation trips and bad roads?
Thank you!! The ground clearance is actually not that bad. 110mm is spot on. I've encountered some absolutely horrendous roads on my way to Goa and the car has dealt with them just fine! It does scrape occasionally but if you drive cautiously and with only two occupants (as I do most of the time) you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Now, loading the car up with 4 people and luggage, it will definitely scrape. But like my review says, its best enjoyed upfront so you wouldn't want adults in the back anyways .
ParthVyas777 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 13:14   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParthVyas777 View Post
If I can leave you with one thing from reading this. I would say, if you have 20-25L to spend on a car, buy a 2016-18 Jaguar XE in petrol. If you don’t, sell your house, sell your kids, sell your kidneys. Buy one. Trust me. I’ve bitten the same bullet, twice.
You are a man of exceptional taste. There is one place where no car in the price bracket and even 50% more can outdo the Jaguar XE, which is CHARACTER. I feel like the Jaguar XE takes a very different approach to making the 50-lakh rupee sedan. Character, soul, poise, and all the imperfections that come with it. As competent as the 3 series and the C-class are, they just feel that much more run of the mill, commercially viable mass produced cars then the XE does. Sense of occassion and a passion for cars aren't things you can put a price on, as you've proven. Here's to many more years of delightful ownership behind the wheel of something truly special.
brohanv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 13:22   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohanv View Post
There is one place where no car in the price bracket and even 50% more can outdo the Jaguar XE, which is CHARACTER. I feel like the Jaguar XE takes a very different approach to making the 50-lakh rupee sedan.
Absolutely agreed Rohan! Thank you for your kind words too. I do still think the 330i is better in every practical way (performance, features, ride etc.) but the XE makes a great case of heart over head .
ParthVyas777 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 14:09   #26
BHPian

Oh, thank god! Finally, someone who throws caution to the wind and holds heart over head.
Having gone from a 3 pot 1.2 Fabia to a 1.8L Superb to a V6 3.0 Supercharged (and pernially angry & thirsty) German, all in a span of 10 months, I was so used to words like "what were you thinking?", "you shot yourself in the foot", "deep pockets, eh"? When I was NONE of any of the above. But having taken on the bricks, very little fazes you anymore.
And every time you hear the V6 ROAR, the child within you chuckles. I hope the new XE fills you with delight and a million happy & safe (s)miles.
Just a few quick questions:
1. service at A.S.S or F.N.G?
2. How easy or not was it finding parts (I realize it's easier in Mumbai & NCR than the rest of India). Was there ever that voice playing in the back of your mind (if the car gives up on me here, I'm miles from technical help)?

Last edited by bhargav2015 : 14th August 2021 at 14:11. Reason: Typo
bhargav2015 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 15:07   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargav2015 View Post
Having gone from a 3 pot 1.2 Fabia to a 1.8L Superb to a V6 3.0 Supercharged
A 3L supercharged V6 hits you right in the heart doesn't it? An orgasmic exhaust note for sure! Can't say im not little bit envious! Major respect

Quote:
Just a few quick questions:
1. service at A.S.S or F.N.G?
The first three years were at the A.S.S (Modi Motors JLR here in Mumbai) for the sake of warranty. Wasn't too pleased with their overpriced services and rookie mechanics so I trusted European Performance Automotive (in Pune) for the remaining 2! Absolutely thrilled with their work, knowledge, and reasonable prices.

Quote:
2. How easy or not was it finding parts (I realize it's easier in Mumbai & NCR than the rest of India). Was there ever that voice playing in the back of your mind (if the car gives up on me here, I'm miles from technical help)?
Ooph thats a tricky one! I never had that voice playing the back of my mind actually because the car has been so reliable. I do remember thinking about it once when I drove from Mumbai to Udaipur but, quite honestly, I shrugged it off having utmost faith in my trusted steed haha! Parts so far have been quite easy to come by! Sharing most of its parts with the XF and the F-pace, its not hard to find rubber bushings, ABS sensors and so on relatively quickly.

P.S, I absolutely love your signature haha!

Last edited by ParthVyas777 : 14th August 2021 at 15:09. Reason: Adding a sidenote at the end
ParthVyas777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 09:34   #28
BHPian

Parth,
Firstly, thank you for your kind words.

Actually, my dad isn't very used to loud engines; so when the V6 growls, he gives me a cold hard stare, asking me to be more gentle on the throttle. It's incredibly hard to pacify him, given it starts growling at 2000rpm.
Thank you for the lead; I needed a few parts myself. I hope they are able to help me with them.

Owning an old 2010 low-volume model translates to abyssmal parts availability.

It is heartening to see you sharing positive stories of JLR family of cars. I've been secretly eyeing the 6.0L Jaguar, but have had doubts on long term reliability and cost of parts. Besides, for a regular Joe like me running his household on a 9 to 5 job, it's WAAAYYY outside my affordability range.
bhargav2015 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 16:04   #29
BHPian

I was referring to the 5.0 Liter 3rd gen AJ series V8 engine that was on the post 2009 XJ Supersport/ XJR/ XKR. The one putting out more than 500 horses and 600+ Nm of Torque?

Sorry, my bad
bhargav2015 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 18:55   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the lead; I needed a few parts myself. I hope they are able to help me with them.
Quite confident that they should be able to help you there! Ask for "Shardul" at EPA and he should have you covered. You're more than welcome to give him my reference.

Ooooo now the 5.0 is something else. I remember a friend of mine had the 5.0L XF a long time ago and it was an absolute thing of monstrosity. It had two very bad habits. Eating through rear tires and churning through fuel. Although it only churned out 300hp so I'm not too sure if the car even makes any sense today when you have 4 pot petrols doing almost the same. But hey, heart over head right? haha!
ParthVyas777 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks