Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2020, 11:58   #16
BANNED

Re: Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel

As usual excellent write-up Sir. Attention to detail and communicating it crisply plus putting everything in points made it easy to read too. Thank you for sharing and please do update the thread as and when possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Headlamp Low beams
I seriously suggest you look at upgrading the whole projector setup to Morimoto Mini D2S 5.0 kit with 35W 5500K bulbs with plug and play harness.

I can't emphasize the difference in lighting output over the Osram HID kit. I have tried that kit in my Creta too before getting the Morimoto.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 11:59   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.iyer95 View Post
Great write-up, and you've carried out quite a lot of thoughtful modifications. Nexon is indeed a befitting replacement for the Vista.
Thanks ram! Glad you liked it & so true. A perfect replacement for a Vista (or a similar hatchback i.e.). Similar cabin space, much bigger boot, higher seating & GC. Perfect daily car. And that's why all the sub-compact SUVs are selling like hot cakes. A good blend of both worlds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.iyer95 View Post
A question, if I may ask. How do you find the Nexon's rear-seat comfort (the bench, specifically) and legroom to be, compared to the Vista? I've travelled a lot in the Vista and have found its rear seat legroom and seating comfort to be the best in its class, and it can easily trump many sedans from a class above in this regard.
  • My relatives used to prefer travelling in the back of the Vista over sedans (Honda City) and other premium hatchbacks in the family thanks to the comfortable ride.
  • The overall bench, back angle, space on offer is pretty much identical to the Vista.
  • The area is slightly darker since Vista had a much bigger window + quarter glass in the door frame. Nexon's is smaller.
  • The place is a bit more comfortable thanks to the very good cooled rear AC (July 2019 onwards). It makes a remarkable difference.
  • On a flip side - the higher seating, stiffer ride isn't like the Vista. The people who used to fall asleep in 15 minutes in the Vista, stay awake for an hour in the Nexon. I have monitored it. I think that is a clear reflection on the ride quality of the two .
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
As usual excellent write-up Sir. Attention to detail and communicating it crisply plus putting everything in points made it easy to read too. Thank you for sharing and please do update the thread as and when possible.
I seriously suggest you look at upgrading the whole projector setup to Morimoto Mini D2S 5.0 kit with 35W 5500K bulbs with plug and play harness.
I can't emphasize the difference in lighting output over the Osram HID kit. I have tried that kit in my Creta too before getting the Morimoto.
Thanks a4anurag for the kind words! Happy you liked it.

I have read your Creta + Morimoto project at least 20 times by now . Right now the HID fog lights are turning night into day for me. So I think I'll stick to the stock head lamp projectors during the warranty period. Opening up the headlamps & replacing the projectors would be asking for too much of goodwill from TASC afterwards if I need to claim electrical warranty. After the warranty period, I might take the plunge for Morimotos.

Last edited by Reinhard : 8th April 2020 at 12:10. Reason: Removed 3rd smiley.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 12:51   #18

Thank you Reinhard for this wonderful thread, rated it 5 stars. Love the KRAZ edition green grille insert, subtle touch. I have been following your modifications for quite some time now, hopefully I will be doing a few of them in future.

Wishing you lot of happy miles.

A question:
I have a Nexon XZ+ Petrol, purchased in Jan 2020. The car has done 3.9k KMs so far. There is a very low squeaking noise from both B pillars whenever I go over bad patch of road. It wasn't there when I took delivery of the car. My home town is in the west coast and I have to cross the ghats where roads are pretty bad. I have driven 3 times to my home town after purchasing the car. The squeaks started after the recent trip. Is this normal? Do you have this problem?

Here is my Tayo ( My son's favourite cartoon character ).

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-img_20200125_133434.jpg

And here it is in lock-down mode .

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-img_20200325_141716.jpg
evinay is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 15:13   #19
BHPian

A very nicely written review. Loved the attention to details you have given to all the finer points during your ownership. Our family too recently got a Nexon XZA+ diesel. We love every ride in it. Though I found the AMT to be a bit notchy in the beginning it has settled down really nicely now and shifts very smoothly. Primarily got it for dad to move around. Sharing a few pics below:

The day the Nexon came home :-)

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-img_20191122_163939-2.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-img_20200226_170532.jpg  

MadRasTan4986 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 08:41   #20
BHPian

Excellent write up Reinhard. Very detailed indeed.
I fully agree with you that Nexon gives the impression of a naughty boy. I believe it is because of the "impish grin" that comes through due to the design of the front grille and head light/indicator combined (This is lost in the new 2020 Nexon design).
I have a diesel xz+ and it is named after a male cartoon character from Disney too. His name is Genie, because he is blue.
Enobarbus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 10:17   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinay View Post
Thank you Reinhard for this wonderful thread, rated it 5 stars. Love the KRAZ edition green grille insert, subtle touch. I have been following your modifications for quite some time now, hopefully I will be doing a few of them in future.
Thanks evinay! Yes - Nexon is fun to work on DIYs with. You'll have fun.
Quote:
A question:
I have a Nexon XZ+ Petrol, purchased in Jan 2020. The car has done 3.9k KMs so far. There is a very low squeaking noise from both B pillars whenever I go over bad patch of road. It wasn't there when I took delivery of the car. My home town is in the west coast and I have to cross the ghats where roads are pretty bad. I have driven 3 times to my home town after purchasing the car. The squeaks started after the recent trip. Is this normal? Do you have this problem?
Oops! Where exactly in the B Pillar? Generally the B pillar has nothing in it. Just few wires passing through and the front seat belt rolling mechanism near the bottom. Surprising that both of the B Pillars are squeaking. No I don't have this issue yet. See if you can capture a video of it & post, can help identify a bit. Probably after lockdown now.
Quote:
Here is my Tayo ( My son's favourite cartoon character.And here it is in lock-down mode
I know Tayo - its the bus isn't it? My son watches that one too! Haha - yes Ironhide also looks similar, just with the colour of the cover different. Ironhide currently is in NylonHide mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRasTan4986 View Post
A very nicely written review. Loved the attention to details you have given to all the finer points during your ownership. Our family too recently got a Nexon XZA+ diesel.
Thanks! And congratulations on your Nexon AMT. Lovely shade, this one & the blue are the most striking ones & stand out in the crowd quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
Excellent write up Reinhard. Very detailed indeed.
I fully agree with you that Nexon gives the impression of a naughty boy. I believe it is because of the "impish grin" that comes through due to the design of the front grille and head light/indicator combined (This is lost in the new 2020 Nexon design).
I have a diesel xz+ and it is named after a male cartoon character from Disney too. His name is Genie, because he is blue.
Thanks Enorabus! Glad you liked it. What an apt name! The powerful yet friendly blue Genie. And so true indeed! Now you mention it - I saw it too. The face indeed has a really naughty "impish" grin, ear to ear!. Thats what it is. And yes - honestly - the new Nexon lost character with face-lift. Yes - it looks more contemporary & even more similar to the RR Evoque, but it has sure lost what defined it. It was so much identical to the concept in gen 1. Now thats gone. Moreover - the rear still remains curvy & cutsy while the front is boxy now. The two aren't working well together IMO.

Over the years - that is one aspect that the Ford EcoSport has retained & I thank god for that! Facelift shouldn't change a car's personality altogether IMO. That should happen in a new generation release.

BTW blue is my favourite shade of the Nexon. Was colouring a line-drawing to keep son engaged & here is what I went with. (I didn't pick the blue Nexon simply because its practically not possible to keep it gleaming like new in my open, road side parking).

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-img_20200408_234918.jpg

Last edited by Reinhard : 9th April 2020 at 10:45.
Reinhard is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 08:40   #22
BHPian

Like always a five star rated thread, and unlike the other technical threads this time i was able to understand every bit
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 03:49   #23

What a great write up. Every minute detail that that I've noticed about the car, every thought I've had while driving the car has been penned down by you perfectly!
And the list of accessories you have provided is extremely useful. Thank you so much for that!

Wish you happy miles with the Nexon.

As everyone is lovingly sharing images of their Nexon, here's a shot of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-img_20191215_171246_21073477955110.jpg  

irajput is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 19:07   #24
BHPian

A really detailed review of the Nexon. Loved it!
I test drove the BS4 diesel and it was an absolute delight, put a smile on my face. However, what stopped me from getting one is, as you mentioned, its jiggly ride. It was imperative for me to get a vehicle with a decent ride quality because of motion sickness prone family. Wishing you many more happy years with your Ironhide.
sahil624 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 11:17   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to TBHP irajput @ sahil624! See you around on the forum. Thanks for the wishes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by irajput View Post
What a great write up. Every minute detail that that I've noticed about the car, every thought I've had while driving the car has been penned down by you perfectly!
And the list of accessories you have provided is extremely useful. Thank you so much for that!
As everyone is lovingly sharing images of their Nexon, here's a shot of mine.
Thanks! Glad you liked it. I tried to document things I noticed so far, especially the weird items that may not catch attention for prospective customers in a short TD.

Thanks for the lovely picture! Seems at home in any setting this car, doesn't it? Keep those pictures coming on this thread guys, no problem. I'm quite lazy when it comes to good photography of my own car, so any good pictures of your Nexons that bring a nice bling to this thread are most welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
A really detailed review of the Nexon. Loved it!
I test drove the BS4 diesel and it was an absolute delight, put a smile on my face. However, what stopped me from getting one is, as you mentioned, its jiggly ride. It was imperative for me to get a vehicle with a decent ride quality because of motion sickness prone family. Wishing you many more happy years with your Ironhide.
Thanks sahil624, happy you liked the review. Yep - this isn't the best option when it comes to folks with motion sickness. Slow speed ride quality isn't one of the USPs of the Nexon. I drove a car with one of the best soft ride qualities for a long time. Everyone except myself at the wheel used to enjoy that car. The soft rides come at a heavy compromise on the dynamics front & really take out all the fun from driving. This time around I wanted a car for ME, that I could enjoy driving. This one was an easy pick then.

Off topic -
Here's IronHide under his NylonHide, hibernating in the extended lockdown period -
Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-img_20200418_152448.jpg

Last edited by Reinhard : 20th April 2020 at 11:40.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 21:17   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Rats tried their bit some time during the last 7 days. The forward placed inter-cooler's radiator surfaces are bent at multiple places. Evidently the rats tried to squeeze between the front black lower grille and the inter-cooler fins right behind it!

The damage thankfully is not that bad. Its something that the radiator surfaces are generally bound to get sooner or later. Whats best though - they did try to enter into the engine bay also as is evident from foot prints - they have escaped immediately! No other damage nor any signs of them having settled for a moment in the bay.

I checked in the engine bay of the Alto K10 also - and I could see some rat hair - and even some cat hair in the engine bay stuck in some wire harnesses that have a sticky sort of stock shielding cover from factory. NO DAMAGE! God's grace. Not a single bite or dropping anywhere. The NO ENTRY rat repellent spray has worked like a charm evidently. I had sprayed it generously right at the start of the lock-down. Thank goodness I did that. Will try & post pictures tomorrow. None of these marks were present when I last checked exactly 1 week back. So whatever happened - happened in last week. Saw quite a lot of black droppings and plastic filing like bits around other cars in the parking. So the rodents have been at it quite a lot off late!

Last edited by Reinhard : 4th May 2020 at 21:19.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 18:02   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Rats tried their bit some time during the last 7 days. The forward placed inter-cooler's radiator surfaces are bent at multiple places. Evidently the rats tried to squeeze between the front black lower grille and the inter-cooler fins right behind it!

I had sprayed it generously right at the start of the lock-down. Thank goodness I did that. Will try & post pictures tomorrow.
Here are a couple of pictures of the damage inflicted over last week by the rodents.

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-img_20200506_161402.jpg

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-img_20200506_161410.jpg

They even went through the pain of climbing on top of the car to nibble at the cover over the antenna!! Respect for their hard work.
Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-img_20200506_161627.jpg
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 21:21   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
DIY Modifications -
  • Planned - Replace stock horns with Creta spec (read - loud!) twin-tone trumpets. I already have them at home (myTVS branded, removed from Vista). But thanks to the riveted HSRP on bumper, not yet installed. Will find time to do so.
Ticked this item off the pending DIY modification list over this weekend. Installed the myTVS twin trumpet horns that I had with me. Used OEM spec connector for wiring. No cuts, no splicing. Clean as it gets. I'll post the product details and step by step procedure in a separate DIY thread as usual. Here is a sneak peak of "Before" and "After".

Before -

After -

P.S. - No, my car doesn't honk on lock/unlock (I hate it as its annoying for neighbours in an apartment block). For the tests, I Have just kept one door open & used the lock button from the fob. As an alert of door open, the Nexon honks in such case.

Last edited by Reinhard : 17th May 2020 at 21:26.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 20:48   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ticked this item off the pending DIY modification list over this weekend. Installed the myTVS twin trumpet horns that I had with me. Used OEM spec connector for wiring. No cuts, no splicing. Clean as it gets. I'll post the product details and step by step procedure in a separate DIY thread as usual.
And the thread is up now in the DIY section. Cross posting the link for it in the ownership thread to keep all mods covered / referenced in this as a root thread for Ironhide.

Link - DIY Horn change thread. (DIY - Trumpet horns in my Tata Nexon)
Old 8th June 2020, 11:47   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Added one more item on IronHide over the weekend. Sensairy Internal TPMS.
  1. Got it installed at - SaiKrupa Wheels & Tyres, Wakad, PCMC. An authorized dealer for Tymtix in Pune.
  2. Location & contact details - Google Maps - SaiKrupa Wheels & Tyres
  3. Type opted for - Internal sensors for all 5 wheels.
  4. Total dent in the wallet - INR 6250.00 including - Sensairy Kit, complete installation, wheel alignment, rotation & balancing (wheel weights added were free of cost.)
  5. The kit is made in January 2020, so pretty fresh.
  6. And - Made in India by an Indian startup.
  7. The owner Mr. Shinde is a very kind and transparent businessman I must say. He was very clear in communication right from the first phone call I made to him. The experience was so clean that I didn't negotiate for a single rupee.
  8. The overall fitment was simple - remove wheels, remove tyres, remove existing valve and install the new valve+sensor, reinstall tyres, fill up air, balance the wheel on the rig, install tyres at new (rotated) positions. Complete the installation with wheel alignment.
  9. Took about 1.5 hours for the whole activity.
  10. Works like a charm. I'm glad I went for the 5 wheel set. The most useful one is the one for the spare wheel IMO, since the other 4 wheels at least we can feel while driving.
  11. I have taken the AndroidAuto Compatible app of Sensairy (you just have to contact their customer support & ask for the custom APK) but its somehow not showing in my AndroidAuto for now. Its mainly an issue with my phone (Redmi 6Pro) since the other apps from unknown sources also don't show in my AndroidAuto list. Will figure out a way to make it work - mostly by rooting and fiddling with the phone.
  12. Drove the car after a long while where I could take it above 3rd gear.
  13. The store people took all care of social distancing & sanitization. The only parts they touched were the wheel rims & tyres. I drove & moved the car myself onto the jack & alignment rig. So minimized exposure. Sanitized the interiors every time I moved out and back in using alcohol based liquid on all touched surfaces.
  14. Chose to go now because things are still lying low in early phases of Unlock#1. There was no other customer at the early hour. After things start opening up, there will only be more rush & more concentration of people at such places.

Some pictures for reference -

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-outsidestore.jpg

All wheels removed

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-allwheelsremoved.jpg

The Kit -

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-tmpskit.jpg

Front suspension assembly (with usual rusted brake disk) -
Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-frontsuspensionassembly.jpg

Rear wheel hub & suspension assembly

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-rearwheelassembly.jpg

A sensor installed on the rim

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-installedsensor.jpg

Wheel alignment in progress

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-wheelalignmentinprocess.jpg

The result on phone screen

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-screenshot.jpg

Am I happy with it - Absolutely.
That's an item now in the car which ticks one from the feature list of the Nexon 2020 and other premium cars. So bragging rights too! With the list of things I have now fiddled on with the car - IronHide somewhat justifies the name of a Transformer Autobot I have to say!
(P.S. - Did I need it? I don't think I really needed it. Midlife crisis I must say bites quite hard!)

Last item that remains is a good flush fit leather wrap on the steering. Which now seems indefinitely postponed thanks to Covid19.

Last edited by Reinhard : 8th June 2020 at 12:05. Reason: typo correction
Reinhard is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks