Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2020, 23:41   #46
BHPian

Re: Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
ordered a 55W H7 HID conversion kit with 4300
Any reason why you went for 4300 K instead of the previous 4200 K? I am looking to upgrade from the poor halogens in my altroz (projector), and i am not really a fan of white light. I have not finalized when, but i will definitely do it. I am confused between HID and LED. Your insights on this would be valuable.

TIA
Old 9th November 2020, 10:16   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
  • Since the Osram HID kit was destroyed by rats - I have been using halogen H7 in the low beam projector. Its terrible as always & I just couldn't accept this setup. Contacted Blaze India & ordered a 55W H7 HID conversion kit with 4300K. Will do the PnP installation for it when time permits. Coincidently, this kit came with the identical ballasts that I'm happy with in the projector fog lights also. 4 identical ballasts will reside in the engine bay now.
And this is now done. For just 4500 INR - this is a must have upgrade. And the kit is MADE IN TAIWAN. So no guilty pleasure of using a Chinese import either!
  • Installed the new 55W 4300K HID conversion kit in the headlamp low beam projector.
  • This is a non-canbus adapter kit. With canbus adapter it would cost INR 4900. But the Nexon's headlamp is not CAN - integrated. So not needed. At least not in pre-facelift Nexon.
  • Took less than 15 minutes.
  • Followed the same process (documented in the DIY Osram 35W HID conversion thread I have already posted.)
  • The light is brilliant. Didn't expect such a superb spread & illumination to be honest.
  • Now the spread of the headlamp + fog lights really covers all the area one may need to view.
  • Illumination is so high that normal halogen running cars appear to have 0 light in comparison on the highway.
  • Here is a short test video made on the eWay. Sorry for the shaky recording made from passenger seat. I can't complain as I got a ready made recording. Taken at a steady 90 KMPH. Also shows how poor the costly (toll) Pune Mumbai eWay surface quality is.
  • Have also included a couple of photos of how well packed & stocked the kit is. Includes good 3M tapes, zip tags - everything you'd generally need.
  • I used this opportunity to also cover all my additional wiring / harnesses into a split loom. Another line of defense against the rodents! I am hoping this will give some protection. Please excuse the really mucky appearance of the engine bay - that is because of the enormous amount of rat-repellent spray that I use. (And it works well!)

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-kit_1.jpg

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-kit_2.jpg

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-rhs_mount.jpg

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-lhs_mount.jpg

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-splitloom.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Any reason why you went for 4300 K instead of the previous 4200 K? I am looking to upgrade from the poor halogens in my altroz (projector), and i am not really a fan of white light. I have not finalized when, but i will definitely do it. I am confused between HID and LED. Your insights on this would be valuable.
4300K is also yellow. 5000K onwards it starts getting white. In fact its pretty hard to notice a difference between 4200K and 4300K for pretty much everyone unless you tell. The 4200K kit was Osram 35W - that rats destroyed. So I had no choice but to install it again. That kit costs around 7000 INR. Instead - i got a much more powerful (55W now) kit for just INR 4500 with the same 1 year warranty. So opted for this one. I do not like white light either. Here is my forward lamp setup -
  1. 4300K HID in headlamp low beam projector.
  2. 4300K HID Bi-Xenon projector fog lights.
  3. 4300K LED high beam in reflector.

I hope the video clip gives an idea of the colour temperature to you.

Last edited by Reinhard : 9th November 2020 at 10:21.
Reinhard is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 12:27   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Another quick little DIY mod done. Took about 1 hour to complete - while on office calls ! Added EL Wire strip in the dashboard for some subtle ambient lighting. Must say the effect is quite pleasant. Most importantly - its pretty much out of driver's view and 0 distraction of any kind. At least in this colour for sure. The project was so simple - I don't think I'll create a separate thread for it.

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-inparking.jpeg

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-onroad.jpeg

Apologies for the poor quality images. Thats what the mobile could manage in the darkness.

Have sourced another 3 smaller sets with dedicated invertors each. Will install them in the door panels once by one when I get time (wishful thinking). While the dashboard one is currently tapped into ignition, the door panel ones I intend to hook-up with power window master lock switch. So they'll work in tandem with the power window switch illumination (another DIY I had done earlier.) I intend to keep it that way - because it will be contained within the doors that way. Don't want to run wires from the door into the car. Not worth the hassle IMO.

On a rather depressing note - close to 16 months completed since IronHide came home - yet to complete 10K Kms in running. About 40 Kms still to go. Thanks to the virus!

Last edited by Reinhard : 14th December 2020 at 12:36.
Reinhard is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 23:30   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Lockdowns keep continuing and the Covid19 virus keeps us worried, indoors and in some unfortunate cases, sorrow as well. Keep patience & stay safe folks. Some quick updates (not much really!) about Ironhide who is just biding his time in the parking.
  1. Did a quick DIY update of the ICE software using the iso image of the latest software version received courtesy of a fellow Nexon owner on "TNT - The Nexon Tribe". This is for the 1st gen 6.5" screen XZ+. The version is R15.26, dated April'21. So quite upto date. Fairly & pleasantly surprised that Tata continues to bring updates for this old variant.
  2. I have not seen much of a difference in the experience to be honest. Perhaps its a bit less laggy and touch response is a bit better. But then again - this may well be just placebo effect. Can't say.
  3. Since the doors are shut all the time & hardly used whatsoever since over an year now - the rubber shoe over the door-position sensor switch on driver door seems to have stiffened a bit. So sometimes - it doesn't quickly recognize door-open. Either gets it a few seconds later OR needs a gentle tap/nudge. Nothing to worry about - some regular use and it will get sorted by itself I'm sure.
  4. The car has come with an Exide "Maintenance Free" battery from factory. As per my SOP - I opened up the caps of it a couple of weeks back. Unsurprisingly - the electrolyte levels were quite low - especially in the 1st cell besides + terminal. Filled up distilled water which I regularly have at home. The battery drank a good 3/4 Liter water. So my belief was vindicated. These aren't really maintenance batteries & a regular check & top-up will be useful. My car is always parked open to sky. Gets hot direct sunlight for 3 hours every afternoon between 12 to 3 PM. Maybe this also expedites some water evaporation. Don't know.
  5. Sitting unused for weeks at length & driving around only within city for fluid & tyre rotations means the fuel efficiency has fallen drastically over last 1 year. (N.B. - no outstation trips whatsoever. Just 1 eWay run to Lonavala & back since last MID reset.).
Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-whatsapp-image-20210626-9.38.13-pm.jpeg

Everything else is doing fine! Fingers crossed. 2 years will be up in Aug'21 & so - a major service is approaching. Practically unused fresh oil will get discarded for no reason whatsoever. Alas.

Last edited by Reinhard : 28th June 2021 at 23:33.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 09:58   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

2 Year Major Service Update

So the car hasn't really run much since the pandemic hit. Will complete 2 years come the 1st week of Aug'21. How time flies. Got a timely reminder in the app, SMS, mail & phone about t he due 2 year service. A quick background & summary -
  • My 10+ year relationship with the Pandit/Bafna Tata ASC at Narhe on Nh48 bypass took a nasty hit when the excellent workshop shut shop a month back. Its in talks for revival - but as of now its done for. My trusted / known SAs are now selling spices/crackers, running mini-trucks ("tempos") or even doing Swiggy food deliveries to make ends meet. What a sad state of things.
  • I'm quite disappointed that Tata didn't handle this particular case much better given the extremely strategic & vital location of this ASC. Now for anyone living in Warje, Kothrud, Bavdhan and other western suburbs/villages of Pune upto Paud etc - the nearest Tata ASC are either Phoenix Katraj or AutoPoint Wakad! So minimum 20 odd kms in each direction, to reach either of these! And then - both are just ASCs, no dealership associated with them.
  • I opted to try AutoPoint Wakad (behind Sayaji Hotel on the NH48 bypass) since its that much conveniently located for me & booked the appointment as usual via TMSC app.
  • Was pleasantly surprised at the ASC. Office as well as other staff is quite good and very courteous. They let you be with the car even in the service bay. No hesitancy there.
  • They do not insist on changes / "repairs" if you do not agree - this was a big brownie point winner.
  • Facility is usual Tata ASC affair. Well equipped with mechanical tooling, equipment & heavy machinery. But customer waiting area etc is like state transport bus stations . I don't really care about it - so thats absolutely fine. Do the job well on the car and I'm ok to sit on the footpath also.
  • There is quite a big body-shop as well in-house. So cars won't be sent elsewhere to get work done on body damages. Good!
  • All folks are very friendly & interactive. They SMILE. Big positive. Often we see this particular human quality is on a big decline otherwise.
  • Have got a good interaction done with an SA - Mr. Dnyaneshwar Palkar and a mechanic Manoj who worked on the car immediately after I reached. If things work out well & continue to be this way - this might be a good long term relationship ahead. Fingers crossed, lets see. They were a bit amused by the mods in the car & SAs & mechanics gathered around to have a look at the things and how they worked. Nice relaxing chit-chat with them all.
  • For what was a major service of 2 years with plenty things specified in the service schedules of the manual - I only asked for oil-oil filter change & checks of other items. Unnecessary changes / top-ups and "service" of other items, wheel alignment etc - I requested to drop and the ASC agreed without even a single argument.
  • Got 3x Wiper blades replaced under prepaid P2P package with the OEM aero-twin blades. Oil filter replaced & oil replaced with standard Castrol Magnatec 5W30 from drum.
  • Overall bill including taxes was only INR 4214.00. Which I consider quite good since even for my Alto - the MASC always manages to first quote an estimate of over 10K for similar service . (And the Alto's ODO running is less than that of the Nexon!)

Last edited by Reinhard : 5th July 2021 at 10:06.
Reinhard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 18:29   #51
BHPian

It seems Bafna has shut the shop as well. Tata motors dealership/service center in Tathwade on Nh48 which earlier belonged to Concorde was taken over by Bafna. I recently saw it has taken over by Garve. Not sure if it’s functional yet though.
abhi_tjet is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 19:39   #52
BHPian

Quote:
  1. 4300K HID in headlamp low beam projector.
  2. 4300K HID Bi-Xenon projector fog lights.
  3. 4300K LED high beam in reflector.

I hope the video clip gives an idea of the colour temperature to you.
I have few questions.

1) I have installed Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited and Nightbreaker Laser in my car.
If I am installing HIDs in low beam, should I retain the Osram H7 halogen in High beam or should I change them to LEDs for stress free highway drive?(I already have a pair of LEDs bought from AliExpress long back and didn't install it since I felt it was not worth installing it)

2) If I am driving in city limits with HIDs in low beam , will it be too bright and will it be blinding the opposite driver or is it effective for city drive as well? For example , in smaller city/village roads where the opposite driver is inching towards us.

3) Most importantly, how is the overall performance and build quality of the 55w HIDs compared to Osram 35w HIDs?

Couple of days back it rained heavily while returning from Chennai and I felt very difficult to drive. Hence I am planning for an upgrade if it's really worth to invest the time and money.
Old 4th August 2021, 10:18   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Vijith, I'll try to respond inline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijith View Post
1) I have installed Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited and Nightbreaker Laser in my car.
If I am installing HIDs in low beam, should I retain the Osram H7 halogen in High beam or should I change them to LEDs for stress free highway drive?(I already have a pair of LEDs bought from AliExpress long back and didn't install it since I felt it was not worth installing it)
Replacing the high beams with LED depends on your primary purpose of high-beam usage. I have replaced the high beams with 4300K LED H7. Remember - LEDs in reflectors made for halogens - tend to just scatter the light a lot and in many cases can actually provide LESS usable light on the road ahead compared to halogens.
In my case - I never drive on high beams - not even on remote highways. I use high-beam ONLY for flashing a warning to errant oncoming traffic that is either about to hit me - or is blinding me with their high beam.
For this purpose - a fast acting and bright LED is far better than a halogen. If you drive on high beam on high-ways; it might be better to stick with the halogens. They are more useful for illumination.
Quote:
2) If I am driving in city limits with HIDs in low beam , will it be too bright and will it be blinding the opposite driver or is it effective for city drive as well? For example , in smaller city/village roads where the opposite driver is inching towards us.
Absolutely no issue. The HID is bright of course - but it is not too bright. (The halogens are basically not bright at all!) Since you will install the HID in the low beam projector - there will be a proper cut-off, no scatter and good focus. It does not bother any oncoming traffic or pedestrians. To be honest - others on the road will not even notice that your lighting is any different than other cars. Oncoming drivers won't have any issue thanks to the projector cut-off. In fact - this is why HIDs are to be installed in projectors. In reflectors they tend to be bright while scattering the light all over the place, blinding oncoming traffic.
Quote:
3) Most importantly, how is the overall performance and build quality of the 55w HIDs compared to Osram 35w HIDs?
Performance is far superior - obvious given the higher power rating. Build quality of bulbs is identical to Osram. That of the ballasts - is better than Osram. And the value for money - is far more.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Reinhard : 4th August 2021 at 10:26.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 18:45   #54
BHPian

Thank you for your quick response.

I got in touch with Blaze India through Whatsapp and got a reply from them that they are having IPHCar branded ballasts and GS branded Bulbs with same 1yr warranty.
Now I am doubtful regarding this deal. Should I wait for some more time to get a complete set or should I accept this mixed offer?
Will it create any issues with the performance of the HIDs?
Old 4th August 2021, 18:57   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your quick response.

I got in touch with Blaze India through Whatsapp and got a reply from them that they are having IPHCar branded ballasts and GS branded Bulbs with same 1yr warranty.
Now I am doubtful regarding this deal. Should I wait for some more time to get a complete set or should I accept this mixed offer?
Will it create any issues with the performance of the HIDs?
It won't make any difference. The branding in fact is literally what it is - "branding". In my honest opinion - most of the stuff must be getting made in the same bunch of mass production factories in PRC/ROC, with different casings and packaging being added at last few steps of the assembly.

I wouldn't worry about the combination. But if you would have better peace of mind with a visually coherent set, you can wait it out. Blaze has a regular stock replenishment typically. You won't have to wait more than a month based on my experience.
Old 4th August 2021, 20:51   #56
BHPian

Quote:
It won't make any difference. The branding in fact is literally what it is - "branding". In my honest opinion - most of the stuff must be getting made in the same bunch of mass production
I got a reply that all brands are almost identical and the quality depends on the gases which are filled inside them. But all of them contain halogen as far as I know.
So ultimately it doesn't matter whether we choose IPH or GS because there is nothing like good halogen or bad halogen gas.

I think it's ok to buy in any combination and it won't make any difference in the output. He said that the colour temperature is 5500K.
But hope the ballasts and bulbs last longer.
vijith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 21:02   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think it's ok to buy in any combination and it won't make any difference in the output. He said that the colour temperature is 5500K.
But hope the ballasts and bulbs last longer.
If night driving in rains is the primary reason to upgrade - I suggest wait for 4300K stock to arrive. 5500K works good and looks good in urban settings. But outside of cities in rainy conditions - you want the better reflection and visibility offered by 4300K temperature.
Old 5th August 2021, 17:38   #58
BHPian

Quote:
If night driving in rains is the primary reason to upgrade - I suggest wait for 4300K stock to arrive. 5500K works good and looks good in urban settings. But outside of cities in rainy conditions - you want the better reflection and visibility offered by 4300K temperature.
I will definitely wait for 4300K temperature bulbs like you suggested because my primary aim is to have good visibility on highways. Once again thank you for all the inputs and suggestions.
vijith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 16:03   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

An update after a long while. Finally AndroidAuto works well!!

The AndroidAuto in my car, never really worked well. It crashed often, refused to connect to some phones that I tried (borrowed) altogether. I have lost count of the different (branded and costly) wires that I have tried over time, along with at least 10 different phones. So fed up was I, that I had stopped using it and lost hopes of ever being able to use it. This was the only real grime in what has otherwise been a flawless ownership overall. I had started contemplating replacing the head unit with an Android one after warranty expiry in fact.

What was interesting is - the same phones and cables, tended to work in other car systems without issues. I mean they crashed once in a while - but not as frequently as mine. Out of desperation, I even changed the smart-dock USB-Aux dongle part in the car by sourcing it via Boodmo as well (turns out it is not covered in extended warranty).

And then - yesterday I seem to have got a blessing, and AndroidAuto is now working like it never worked. While I don't want to jump the gun & proclaim the issue is resolved - I at least have my hope restored.

Stumbled upon this kind gentleman's video on Youtube just while surfing the internet reading through other owners' problems with AndroidAuto all over the world. (Finding comfort that I have company in pain.)

I had never heard of this "Anker" brand to be honest. But then surfed on Amazon.in & found 2 options. One of them is the Anker Powerline that is actually recommended in the video. Its retailing over a grand a pop. Found another Anker cable that seemed slightly cheaper. Thought of trying that one first. Et viola! It is working.

Product Listing - Amazon.in - Anker Type A->C cable.

I have now used AndroidAuto with my phone (Redmi Note 10S) rigorously over the last 2 days. "Abused" would be a better word over used. And not once has it failed in hours of usage. The overall response speed, map behaviour, call and music - all have become a lot more fluid as well in the process. I wonder what it is. But the same 480Mbps rated cables that I have used earlier - couldn't achieve it.

So for those Nexon owners who might have reached end of the tunnel like me and thinking about replacing the head-units - give this a try once. While no guarantees can be given with AndroidAuto and smart-phone behaviours in general - its worth a try perhaps. Not too costly either. This is of course for TypeC phones. Not sure if there is a similar one available for MicroUSB spec phones.

Last edited by Reinhard : 22nd November 2021 at 16:08.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 17:00   #60
BHPian

I just came here to ask you where I could get the software which you updated to see if that would solve my android auto issues and funnily enough you had another solution in hand.

I'll try out the cable anyway. Could share the iso for the April 2021 unit. My service centre keeps putting the April 2019 version. Also how to get it done yourself guide would be nice

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks