Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2020, 21:16   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel

Here is a short story of how my Nexon came home. And a quick reference to all the mods one can do as DIY at home on a car (not just a Nexon) that are useful as safety features on our roads.
(Yep this thread is a child of the unfortunate COVID-19 pandemic & lockdown that took our little blue planet by surprise & forced everyone to be indoors without a choice (unless one was ready to risk it all)). Otherwise its actually now a generation old car & starting an ownership thread now, is a bit funny, since soon the face-lift's ownership threads will start on the forum.

I call him Ironhide while my young one calls him Eugene (the bandit from Disney's Tangled)! I don't know about others but for me, Nexon is a car that comes across as a rather naughty boy rather than a lady!

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-oxfordgolfnexon.jpg

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-sideprofile.jpg

The Car -
  • Tata Nexon XZ+ 2019
  • 1.5 L Revotorq common rail diesel BSIV
  • Calgary White single tone
  • Obviously opted for the 2 year extended warranty. (2 weeks after my delivery, TML started offering 3 years EW!)
  • Completed about 8300 KMs in 7 months. 2 scheduled services done - nothing specific to write about, happy with the experience.
  • OTR at time of purchase was 12,20,000/- INR approximately.
  • Post discounts & insurance negotiations & previous car exchange - I paid around 9,90,000/- INR cash component from my side.
  • INR 10K accessories given as freebies. I picked noodle cabin mats, 3D boot mat, chrome boot lip, mud flaps & NEXON signature illuminated front scuff plates.

Likes -
  • Stonker diesel engine. You can really surprise a lot of big boys out on the highway.
  • Pretty slick 6 speed MT.
  • Power & Torque figures matching those of cars costing upto 20L. A car on which the "got bhp?" sticker doesn't look out of place.

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-engine.jpg

• 5 Star GNCAP safety rating. ISOFIX also standard.
  • A music output thats hard to match for others from factory.
  • Sharp, small & fast steering. Point & shoot.
  • Stiffer suspension, quite good handling & cornering dynamics. Doesn't under-steer much. (It has its own drawbacks too.)
  • Strong build quality & things are put together to remain together for a long time.
  • DIY friendly car construction with plenty accessibility & sufficiently modular design.
  • Stand out design. In your face! Funky alloys too. Full credit & respect to Pratap Bose & all of Tata's global design team. This car really is so true to that concept!
  • No chrome! Only the humanity line & fog lamp shroud upfront is chrome. Nowhere else.
  • Crazy mileage! My MID rarely goes below 30 kmpl. T2T hovers between 21-25 generally. And I work in Hinjawadi IT Park. (For reference, I used to consistently get 20-23kmpl with the Vista across 9 years.)
  • Nothing connected, nothing too smart. Basics are right & simple comfort is present. No gizmos for me. I don't like a car to be smarter than I am!
  • Stupendous ground clearance. Well controlled front and rear overhangs - ensures the ground clearance is actually usable very safely on bad/no roads.

DisLikes -

The following omissions/feature drops/changes done since launch are what annoy me.
  • Missing - Front seat lumbar support - my Vista had it! And the car would do better with them. I find the lumbar support lesser than I'd prefer.
  • Missing - No seat back storage pockets. Seriously Tata?
  • Missing - front passenger seat-under storage tray. Vista had it!
  • Missing - Reach adjustable steering. I would have LOVED it for my laid back driving preference. (Costly cars like the Endaevour also don't have it, but that doesn't mean I'd like it in a Nexon!)
  • Removed - Passenger side door keyless request sensor button.
  • Removed - Speed sensing automatic door locks. Huge mistake in removing these in India. If anybody knows someone who can re-activate this in BCM somehow - please share details.
  • Removed - Rear fog light. This one I really hate. Really. So I fixed it myself!
  • Removed - Silver finish on steering wheel & door panel trims. The piano black is just not to my liking. And it does NOT match with the excellent silver panel running across the lower half of the dashboard now. Silly.

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-dashboard.jpg
  • Removed - Dedicated button on dash for reverse camera. With this & rear fog light gone - there are a bunch of dummy useless buttons on the dashboard waterfall. Looks ugly too.
  • Removed - Engine coolant temperature gauge (because Nexon shares Tiago's console & that one was redesigned.)
  • Removed - Original premium Hexa spec spring loaded chrome ringed caps for the 12V power sockets.
  • Stock lighting is same as all cars. Inadequate. If you travel cross country & during nights often - please do invest in a good upgrade.
  • The ride is not just "jiggly". Its bumpy proper at city speeds on bad roads. Especially during/after monsoons if your roads have large pot-holes (like Pune) - you'll need a lot of patience. Humble hatchbacks around you will speed past while we have to patiently move slow on these patches. Also - occasional passengers who are used to a plush ride will NOT enjoy this bumpy stiff ride.
  • Service Interval is stupid for today's age. 6 Months only?! It feels too frequent & one runs out of "free" services without doing anything on the car.
  • The seats are a softer than I prefer. Its a nice long distance cruiser car. Firmer seats are always better for such a car IMHO. Over longer use - the seats tend to sink in if they are too soft.
  • There are still rough edges at places like where the door panel meets the steel structures, the terminal ends of the under door black cladding/moldings that are hidden behind doors. Not a Hyundai finish at allAt first I thought it was chipped / broken on the driver side. Checked the other doors and thats how it is on all doors! Pathetic. If you don't compromise on these items - this is not a car for you.

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-badfinishdoortrim.jpg

• I don't like the Zest spec outer door handles. Seem too puny for a Nexon. New Altroz's door handles are so much more chunky & great to hold compared to these. EcoSport shows how these really should be.
  • I also don't like the white line running across the window edge on both sides in most shades of Nexon. The rear X Factor actually looks good & has a much better quality. The side ones look very poorly finished & aftermarket. The silver one on white/orange looks far better IMO. If I had opted for Red, Grey or Blue Nexon - I'd have gotten these white elements in vinyl on the same day without doubt.
  • Still some trademark Tata jugaads at places where one doesn't generally look. For example - the foam filling near the firewall where the bonnet hinge swivels & where the bonnet closes near the base of the windshield is still quite cheap - just like the Vista's was. That on the Vista was eaten by rats in 2 months. So on this one - I ensure I spray a lot of rat repellent spray!

DIY Modifications -

In the interest of easier access, I'll keep the mods completed so far in the opening post. That way everyone won't have to go through all my rambling & can cut to the chase directly! So far I have completed these -
  1. Headlamp Low beams - (DIY - Tata Nexon XZ+ - Osram 35W HID conversion kit)Link.
    Replaced the stock halogens with OSRAM 35W HID PnP conversion kit.
  2. Front Fog lights - (Tata Nexon DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps installation)Link.
    Replaced the stock halogen front fog lights with 55W HID bi-xenon projector fog lights.
  3. Rear Fog light - (DIY: Tata Nexon XZ+ - Installing OEM Rear Fog Lamp)Link.
    Nexon doesn't come with a rear fog light in the top trim since end of 2018. So I sourced the OEM part from boodmo & installed it myself.
  4. Auto dimming IRVM - (DIY: Auto-dimming IRVM install in my Tata Nexon)Link.
    I frequently do Pune-Mumbai 1 day runs at dawn & dusk. So a proper auto dimming unit is very useful. Installed it myself in 15 minutes.
  5. 70mai Lite dash-cam with GPS module.
    1. Purchased in sale for INR 3200.
    2. Link : AliExpress product listing
  6. Ansio cabin air purifier.
    1. Link - Amazon.in product listing
  7. Rear Turn indicators - Replaced both side rear turn indicators with much brighter & faster LEDs (Got this bug from fellow BHPian @racsaxen).
    1. This increases visibility & reduces response time. Its so bright that those bikers who try to sneak in the gap while you are turning & then go straight instead of turning - have totally stopped attempting it.
    2. They go blind if they come too close.
    3. Link - AliExpress product listing
  8. Rear brake lamps - Replaced both side brake lights with fast acting LEDs.
    1. Illumination is identical, response time is faster.
    2. Link - AliExpress product listing
  9. Rear reversing lamps - Replaced both side rear reverse lamps with white LEDs.
    1. They are more in intensity & whitish rather than yellowish.
    2. This change has made a huge difference in the reversing camera visibility & image quality. Highly recommended.
    3. Link - AliExpress product listing
  10. KRAZ edition neon green grille insert.
    1. Link - Boodmo.com product listing
  11. Bonnet decal - Compass + mountain black vinyl decal offset on the bonnet
  12. Graco Affix ISOFIX latch type child booster seat at the back. The only place where my son sits in the car.
    2. Its an import from the USA.
  13. TBHP Stickers .
  14. Metallic Transformers Autobot emblem on the boot hatch.
    1. Link - AliExpress product listing
  15. Corner protectors - Installed black thermo-plastic bumper protectors on all 4 lower corners to accept blessings from bikers on the road.
  16. Planned - Replace stock horns with Creta spec (read - loud!) twin-tone trumpets. I already have them at home (myTVS branded, removed from Vista). But thanks to the riveted HSRP on bumper, not yet installed. Will find time to do so.

Accessories -
  1. Illuminated NEXON front door scuff plates. At dealership.
  2. Noodle floor mats. At dealership.
  3. NEXON embossed 3D boot mat. At dealership.
  4. Chrome boot lip plate. At dealership.
  5. Under-body anti rust coat. At dealership.
  6. Silicone full cover for the key fob.
  7. OEM mud-flaps. At dealership.
  8. Water resistant body cover.
  9. Amazon Solimo tyre inflator.
  10. Simple puncture repair kit.
  11. Amazon Basics jumper cable set.
    2. I have already used this set & Nexon's battery twice in office. To jump start a stranded Jetta & an Innova Crysta (yellow plate).
  12. Leather full wrap on the steering wheel including spokes (appointment planned post lockdown!).
  13. Tymtix SensAiry internal TPMS. (Appointment planned after lock-down.) I have asked Tymtix for their non standard APK that works with Android Auto. This will give TPMS readings straight on the head unit screen.

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-mileage.jpg
^^ Here is a sample mileage. 30 kmpl on MID over 5000 KMs. The trip now stands over 8.5K KMs & mileage is still 30 KMPL on MID.

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-compasspic.jpg

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-reardark.jpg

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-autobots.jpg

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-ansiofilter.jpg

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-img_20190808_211742.jpg

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-childseat.jpg

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-stickerleft.jpg

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-installed_outside.jpg

Accessories Specifically Declined -
  • Body paint protection / Teflon coating.
  • Engine protection/enrichment coat/treatment.
  • Corner protectors.
  • Front grille lower lip chrome garnish strip.
  • Seat covers.
  • Dashboard deity/idol.

Well that was the summary. Up next, I'll cover the prelude to bringing him home & the companionship experience so far. Time permitting - you can go through those as well!

Last edited by Reinhard : 6th April 2020 at 20:21.
Reinhard is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 21:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel

Prelude -
I have been a very lucky & proud owner of a Tata Vista Drivetech4 1.3MJD since November 2010. A car that took me all over the places, through ups and downs of life & kept me safe even in accidents! That happy story is already documented here. (Indica Vista DT4 QJD Aura ABS - Drive it to believe it!!)-

A limited edition car that one - made only for perhaps 1-2 months by Tata as the first "refresh" just before the Sedan Class with Manza face was launched. With a soft touch body trim throughout the cabin, including door panels that would even put today's 40 lakh cars to shame.

The car kept company for about 70K kms, practically covered in 5-6 years as for the remaining years she was stationary while I was either out of India or worked from a place where I never had to take the car along. The ownership was flawless with excellent ASC experience, no product issues etc. & as such there never was a need to really change the car & my little son loved (still loves) the car to the core! Two things happened suddenly that resulted in the birth of this thread!
  1. BSVI changeover in India WEF 1 April 2020 -
    It put me in a dilemma. The Vista's resale value was pretty low anyway with its age. BSVI cutover would mean diesel cars going up by around 100K OTR. A car change sooner or later was going to be inevitable. A later change would mean even lower resale value for the Vista, and a much higher price for the next car. I decided that it was the opportune moment to make the switch.
  2. Tata Decided to discontinue the Safari Storme (At least civilian one) -
    If there was ever a car of dreams - it was the Safari. Tata declared that the Safari Storme will be discontinued by end of 2019. This was the last chance now to get one in life. Even if a new one ever came again - it wouldn't be the legendary one. Now or Never it was! And so - the shopping started for a purchase of a Safari Storme specifically! No other cars in the list to evaluate at all. Rarely does it happen yeah? But then I ended up evaluating quite a few anyway.

The Safari Storme -
  • Placed an online enquiry on CarWale.com for a Safari Storme EX
  • Got a call from National Autowheels in 2 minutes & the whole team (more on that later) handled the process extremely professionally on phone.
  • I must say - the triad of Sushmit, Suraj & Sumit - must be the best car sales experts in this town at least. Unmatched professionalism and product knowledge in business here.
  • Offered to come to my place (about 20 kms from the dealership) with the car & an unlimited test drive!
  • At the same time - I also made phone inquiries with Bafna & Concorde - both didn't have much information about the Safari's availability & didn't show much enthusiasm sadly.
  • Sushmit, Suraj & their car evaluation executive came to my place with a well maintained white VX for TD.
  • Having already driven both generation Safari's in the past - it was a cakewalk really & an excellent driving experience. King of the road. Period. (Yet - very easy to drive in narrow by-lanes too!)
  • Experience was as expected. Punchy mid range, no top end, notchy gearbox, heavy but direct steering with acceptable feedback.
  • Made up my mind to take the plunge & got a good quote of 180K INR for the Vista (yep - a 9 year old one).
  • Deal offered was around 150K INR OTR which wasn't bad.

A few moments before hitting OK on the IMPS page for booking amount transfer rang a bell installed when you become a parent. A Safari EX doesn't have any airbags. Spending so much and then getting a car that lacks some basic features? Umm... So called up Sushmit and told him that the deal was on hold, afterall I was taking quite a loan for the car and then it should have the whole safety kit at least. A VX has airbags - but that was simply out of my budget even with a loan. (And buying a VX without 4x4 would be the ultimate sin.)

Mahindra XUV500 W7 -
  • Yep - out of nowhere I went to M&M showroom Sahyadri Motors to check the XUV500. The W7 has everything I needed. Airbags, properly featured music system, plenty of space, DRLs, powerful engine - the lot.
  • I went with a cheque in the bag to make the payment if all was well actually. The guys at the dealership were nice (I'd say a notch lower on willingness to make a sale) but otherwise great.
  • Took a longish TD & bam! I just couldn't get a connection with it. The steering is extremely vague for my liking. No feedback & very slow. I wanted a car with a fast steering after the Vista.
  • For a monocoque (ok heavy I know) the car handles really below my expectations. It makes the Safari Storme appear like a relatively fair handler considering its a ladder-frame.
  • Still - considering the son liked it a bit - was willing to buy it.
  • But M&M offered 100K INR only for the piece of my heart that was standing outside.
  • The deal was off. Sorry Mahindra.

Renault Duster AWD RXZ Pre-2019-facelift -
  • Renault has a showroom right across the road from the Mahindra showroom.
  • An AWD has always been a thought back of the mind (not a dream category of course).
  • Took a TD for an RXZ 110 2WD, they didn't have an AWD for TD, understandable.
  • As regularly discussed, the gear & clutch were heavy, pickup was quite dull in traffic.
  • LHD oriented wiper & lighting stalks kept on bothering me in the mind. More of an OCD and principals thing. Those who wish to sell cars here - should make them like we need them here.
  • Funnily, they insisted - rather demanded - that I make a booking paying 25K right then otherwise the AWD would go out of stock any moment. Quite a hilarious attitude for folks who were selling a generation old car with poor plastics here at that moment.
  • And then - Renault offered 80K for my Vista. I was out the next minute.
  • They called later to offer as much as 160K - but it was too late.
  • Sorry Renault but your sales team should be able to gauge if the customer is really desperate to sell his/her car OR is looking for a reason to not part with it really.

Tata Nexon -
  • And right across from Renault - was a Concorde showroom (now Bafna).
  • There was a Nexon diesel TD car available.
  • Took a TD just for the sake of it. And BAM! I was sold on it.
  • The car connected with me in a second! Maybe because it is on the same X1 platform as my Vista - don't know. It surely doesn't drive / handle like the Vista though (read - poor like the Vista).
  • Loved every bit of the car.
  • Concorde offered INR 100K for my Vista. Meh. Let's stay with the Vista.
  • A funny thing happened here that's worth mentioning. I inquired about the Tigor JTP - and the sales rep spent 5 minutes trying to tell me JTP only sells Tiago & no Tigor. I asked him to come outside with me & showed him a brand new Tigor JTP waiting at customer delivery area . He then went to talk to his "lead" & came back with a price list. LOL. No wonder Concorde was sold off shortly afterwards.

Other CSUVs -

I have driven the EcoSport & Brezza. I like them both. I'm not exactly too fond of Suzuki for its light build but then the Brezza is an exception. I don't hate it either - I have a Maruti even now & I like it every bit. From the outside - I just love the Brezza's understated and clean looks. Generally my taste. The Brezza's interiors I don't like a lot & it had the same 1.3 MJD that I was now bored of. So no Brezza. EcoSport is a bit too cramped in the back. Also - between Ford & Tata, I'd go with the known devil. It was always a tough call between the ES and Nexon. I myself have recommended the EcoSport to a lot of friends - even over Nexon. Finally I picked Nexon purely from heart.

All other CSUVs have their plus and minuses. I won't go into listing them as I don't want to make this a comparison. All cars are good - each individual has own priorities & requirements from their car. One person cannot go on to say one is better than the other. Simple as that. One picks what ticks the most boxes for them individually.

Last edited by Reinhard : 4th April 2020 at 17:51.
Reinhard is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 21:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

My Tata Nexon!
  • Out of nowhere, the next week, Sushmit from National autowheels called again. Asked me if he could do something more about the deal/discount/bonus/accessories pack etc for the Safari.
  • I asked him if I could get the same INR 180K for the Vista if I bought a Nexon instead, as I loved the Nexon after a TD.
  • His response was YES without hesitation. Added on 10K of free accessories as well!
  • It was then that he told me - there is no sales target from TML on a non mover like the Safari but there are targets on a prime mover like the Nexon. So he could work out a sweeter deal for a Nexon! Then I admired his & Suraj's commitment for my inquiry of the Safari even more.
  • During this time - came a silent facelift. Cooled rear AC vent, new roof rails & rear 12V socket making a comeback. (Lost were silver door trims, rear camera dedicated button, driver console's engine temperature gauge.) I asked for this one rather than a car from existing stock - to which Sushmit agreed without any hesitation as well.
  • Sent my Aadhar, PAN, photo, address proof all as PDFs on email to him.
  • Made a booking amount transfer of 25K via IMPS & got receipt on email! Smooth & simple. Booked a Glasgow Grey.
  • (Till this time - I didn't know where the showroom even was!)
  • Then I started seeing Nexons everywhere! And liked the white even more. Thought having had a grey car for 9 years, perhaps something different now? Called Sushmit and asked to change the booking to Calgary white - which he did in a minute!
  • Told him that I need to know the VIN & need to do a PDI at yard before the registration papers are submitted. If I don't like the VIN, they have to change the car. Both things - agreed without a second's hesitation.
  • I got the VIN along with Form10 on whatsapp when the car was dispatched from the plant in Ranjangaon. Car was fresh out of the oven. Made a week earlier. Lovely!
  • Made the payment of my remaining dues via RTGS.
  • Sushmit came to my place with all paperwork, took my Vista and handed over all the official transfer papers to me. They already had a customer family for it.
  • Got a call a couple of days later that the Nexon had arrived at the yard and I could go for PDI.
  • Looked up the showroom on Google Maps & went there for the first time!
  • Suraj took us along in their TD Tigor - a good 15 kms away. It had rained earlier & started raining again. But no problem.
  • And there he was. Ironhide in all glory. Covered in mud thanks to their own PDI drive around the yard and road outside.
  • Spent almost an hour with the car with our checklist. Fiddled, pushed, pulled, pressed everything on the car. Everything was perfect. On the way back, Suraj smiled and said - "You'll never find a PDI issue with a Tata car anymore, at least not with us." I hope that stands true everywhere!

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-pdi1.jpg

^^ The first time I met Ironhide. For PDI. Notice - no rear fog light. Just a plastic cap.
    Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-yard2.jpg

• Had a look at my Vista behind the showroom. The deal with the next owner was already done & money transfer was pending. She'd be at her new home in a week's time!
  • Made selections for my accessory picks & returned home.
  • Got a call that everything was done & car was ready for delivery in 3-4 days' time & got him home.
  • Very well made Tata Swagat document kit with everything in order. Hassle free delivery with no delays for anything. Good chocolates too!
  • The whole showroom staff gathered. Puneri pagadi (headgear), party poppers, garlands, ribbons, pooja - everything! Pleasant surprise. A very good experience for a new car. (And my god was it worlds apart from the Maruti Alto K10 delivery less than 2 years earlier.)
  • Sushmit quickly vanished for a moment & came back driving my Vista! Parked her besides the Nexon & insisted on taking a "together" parting picture of me with the cars. What a sweet gesture. One that will always be remembered.

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-img20190809wa0002.jpg

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-img20190808wa0027.jpg

Saw a sticker "TNT" on pictures of the Nexon of fellow BHPian @racsaxen. PMed him & he invited me to the funky community group of Nexon owners.
Quite a fun group this. Folks from all corners of India & professions. Love to hear their stories, experiences & mesmerizing travelogues. Some are BHPians too - Racsaxen, Torq, Sebring, Sujoy76 to name a few. Here are a few of pictures from a couple of #TNT gatherings.

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-tntanniversary.jpg

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-tntdrive1.jpg

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-tntdrive2.jpg

Sushmit & Suraj have since become close friends for me & visit my place every time they are in the area for a hot cuppa. I'm truly glad to have met them. Sadly National Autowheels shut shop recently, but they are now with another good Tata dealer in town - Rudra Motors.

In our housing society - Eugene has since been followed by 2 more Nexons! A white petrol XZA+ and an Orange diesel XZA+. Cool!

Last edited by Sheel : 7th April 2020 at 11:13. Reason: Minor typo.
Reinhard is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 13:14   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Overall Companionship experience so far -

Usage Pattern -
I work in the Hinjawadi IT park in Pune. That's our own "Little Bengaluru" as most readers would know. Jam packed traffic in the morning and in the evening also. Daily total drive is exactly 50 KMs. Once in a while there is a Mumbai trip & a Kokan trip for family commitments. Overall - my running is about 40% highway - 60% city.

Driving Experience -
C-SUV!
  • The relatively high seating position, powerful engine & well tuned steering wheel make driving really enjoyable. No matter how long the travel is - one will always come out pretty fresh from this car. No fatigue creeps in what so ever. A true mile muncher this one. For sure.
  • The car really is a design marvel (regardless of whether one likes the looks or not). To get these visual aspects & engineering come together so well, has to be appreciated.
  • The wheels look really proportionate (in fact a bit large) for the car's size thanks to the sloping rear of the car. Together with the high GC, it makes the car look really sporty. Park it besides a WagonR and you'll immediately understand how compact the car really is. (I never park Ironhide besides that damn WagonR now.)
  • In the opening post's second picture, Ironhide is actually parked 6 inches besides a Hyundai Creta SX. Yet its fully hidden behind the Nexon. Shows that the size difference is not that big as such. Creta sure is larger than 4m - but if one thinks purely from a money perspective - they'd feel that the extra 4-5 lakhs spent are bringing only some better plastics and 3-4 inches more in length.
  • I like these funky alloys. They are true to what the Nexon concept had (along with a lot of other design cues of course). Honestly - I like these cartoon style alloys more than the new Nexon's more "contemporary" design. The new one blends in the crowd well, while the old one thumbs the nose at the crowd.
  • The car came with Goodyear Excellence tyres. Very good grip in the dry, wet & off road. Yes they are noisier than what a Michelin set would be, especially on the highways. But overall characteristics are good enough that I'll stick to this set till their entirety. Perhaps a change to Michelins for the 2nd set.
  • Braking is GOOD. Its very confidence inspiring & equally predictable. Bite is very progressive and its very easy to modulate. The car maintains line (even on curves) under sudden braking.

Suspension & Handling
  • Stiff suspension means the car does tell everyone about how the road is. Winding, twisty roads are a joy to drive on. A driver's car then. However, the downside is - those passengers in the back seat may not enjoy it if they suffer even a little bit from motion sickness. So be careful on those ghat roads if you are travelling with senior citizens in the back! They will not appreciate the sudden direction changes & bumps.
  • Yet - the suspension setup is remarkably silent! I have driven on non existent roads in Kokan recently & must say the suspension is commendable when it comes to silent operation.
  • The car handles really sharp. Steering inputs are instantly responded to.
  • Most importantly - the car does NOT understeer much. This was a huge complaint I had with the Vista & I think this was the reason I was sold on Nexon so quickly during the TD. It never leaves the line or curve & sticks like superglue to the tarmac even during twisty turns & ghats. This is very confidence inspiring (and enjoyable too) on our unsafe roads.

Engine & Transmission
  • Its no surprise that the 1.5 L Revotorq diesel engine is in GTO's list of better engines of the generation here (The emergence of fantastic 1.5L diesels in the Indian car scene).
  • The gearing is really well thought out. Whoever derived the ratio numbers, deserves special mention. While the shifts were notchy at the time of delivery, they have become acceptably smooth & precise now. The gearbox complements the punchy engine very well. Never will you feel turbo lag in this one. Its a big difference after using the 1.3 MJD for a long while. 2nd gear onwards it feels like an NA engine! On the highways you can just press the accelerator and get power from any RPM above 1000. No need to downshift in most overtaking moves. Perfect!
  • The gearing also makes city driving very comfortable. Not too many frequent changes, the car chugs along without complaints & rarely do we have to downshift from 2nd gear. The very light clutch also makes things easier & comfortable. B2B traffic - no issue.
  • I have never crossed 120 KMPH in this car yet. 120 also - I touched only once to check how the constant speed limit beep sounds! And I have never crossed 2700 RPM either yet! So for a sedate driver the tuning is just perfect i must say. At around 2700 rpm and over - the engine note is very boomy. It advises the driver to ease on the accelerator audibly. I think its best to treat this engine gently & it will reward you to the fullest (in mileage & performance both). Its evident in the consistent 30 kmpl I get on the MID.
  • Do note that this is a typical Tata diesel engine though. Everything happens in the mid-range. This is not revv happy or tractable like the 1.3 MJD - or even the Mahindra 1.5L in XUV300 I think. It starts to seem a futile exercise to revv it once you near 3000 RPM. But the action in mid range is enough to give a mild adrenaline rush. Treat this mill with gentle love & it will reward you in multiple ways.

Rear visibility
  • ORVMs are really well designed (lifted from the Tiago twins). They provide excellent horizontal & vertical coverage. IRVM does the job that can be done in the view permitted by the smallish rear windshield. While the C pillars are thick - IMO they don't really hamper visibility.
  • The real downside is the height (lack thereof) of the rear windshield. On a flat road or in city, no problem. But on highways like the NH4/48 with frequent crests and troughs - this is quite a problem. All we see is the road going upwards right behind the car in the IRVM, no vehicles are visible if they are a few hundred meters behind us. At the beginning this did cause me quite a bit of nervousness - the Vista had awesome rear visibility thanks to larger & curvey rear glass. After a while - you'll start using IRVM and ORVM better together to get an idea of rear traffic & the problem will be minimized. However - not optimum.

Ergonomics
  • Overall the ergonomics are fairly neutral and there is very little to really set one off.
  • The floating ICE screen is placed well. Is easy to view while driving & never gets glare no matter where the Sun is. Very nifty this.
  • The central console with sliding tambour door is quite stylish & usable too. However - if you are taller than 6 feet & have longish arms - the arm-rest position might not be the best for you. I started feeling left shoulder pain after a while & had to change my driving position a couple of times to find the right compromise. Bummer.
  • The door trims are quite good in quality & design. However - the fabric & soft inserts in the front doors are not smartly designed. For folks like me who drive with the right elbow resting on the door arm-rest - the elbow actually hits the door handle crevasse made of hard plastic and not the soft insert, which is further backward in position. Quite a silly mistake this.
  • For a car that gets so many things right - it should have had steering reach adjustment in addition to rake adjustment (which is present). For a laid back position that I prefer - the steering goes a bit too far away! Not a big issue as there are quite a few different good driving positions possible still! Also - the small steering and overall cabin layout means for someone tall like me - in most steering positions the wheel blocks partial view of the speedometer & tachometer dials! But okay - I'd rather have this than a large boring steering.
  • For some reason Tata has taken a big step back when it comes to seat recline adjustment mechanism. It was super smooth & sturdy in the previous generation cars. It is very flimsy in the Nexon. Doesn't properly latch on. Do not ever try to adjust the recline with the car in motion. Its outright dangerous. Ensure you are fully stationary.
  • The person who designed the central storage space below ICE in the Vista/Manza/Zest/Bolt - still works in TML. And that person has done it again. If there was any lack of attention / imagination in making the Nexon - it was here. Totally inaccessible USB/Aux sockets. Totally unusable space for any other purpose as well. What a waste. The same person seems to have moved to Harrier also during the design of the Beta Harrier design. (They seem to have fixed it a bit with 2020 Harrier.)

Comfort & Convenience
  • The AC is a bone chiller. I keep it on Auto+Economy mode always & generally with temperature at 25C. And even with that - the passengers say its too cold. Rear cooled AC vent is a big differentiator & I have to thank Tata for bringing this feature. It makes quite a difference in cooling this fairly large volume of cabin. Full marks to the engineers!
  • There are a sufficient amount of storage places in the dashboard, door panels to complement the cavernous illuminated (and cooled) glove box. However - that does not mean removal of seat back storage pockets is excusable by any means. Cheap!
  • Rear passenger seat back-rest angle is very good. Not too upright - nor too laid back like the Hyundai i10/Xcent etc. Adjustable neck restraints is a must my opinion and I'm glad that the XZ+ gets them.
  • Front bucket seats are a nice place to be but I miss the 3 step adjustable lumbar support for both seats that my Vista had. For someone tall like me - the seat sure lacks a bit of lumbar support. Some more would have made this a 5 star place to be in. A bit disappointed about that.
  • Rear doors open sufficiently wide. But the actual foot entry points are quite narrow. If senior citizens travel in your car back seats - be prepared to often clean the rear door sills, front seat's backs. No way can they easily get their feet in.
  • The 350 odd liter boot is really practical for use. It easily gulps standard international travel luggage for those airport runs (tested for a real case).
  • Vista had all door power window switches illuminated. Now its illuminated only on the driver's panel. Picking the wrong things from other perceived premium brands. I guess thats the need of the hour so can't blame Tata for it much. Its not that others are giving this!
  • There is a pretty nifty little sun-glass holder in the roof and & use it regularly. But Tata decided to save by removing the felt fabric lining in it & rename it in the owners' manual as "wallet holder". Its these really stupid things that stand out. Nobody is going to keep a thick wallet there. And without felt lining - this isn't usable as a sun-glass holder either anymore! Pathetic.
  • The roof lamp is white LED with theater dimming. I hate white lighting in cabin somehow. Its too harsh on the eyes, casts shadows. I prefer a soothing yellow light in cabin instead. To add to this - the light is positioned up-front. Everything in the back is all dark since the white light doesn't diffuse properly. The lamp MUST have been positioned in the center of the cabin. Silly mistake.
  • I simply HATE that the speed sensing auto-door locks have been removed 2019 onwards in the Nexon, Tiago, Tigor. The lame excuse of doing that to get 5 star GNCAP Rating is also very disappointing. Very mediocre effort. I hate it that such features that I had in my 9 year old car are missing in a modern costly one. Just hate it to the core.

Little Easter Eggs & Goodies
  • The ORVMs open only when one goes into ignition. Not on door unlock. So if I go back just to pick a wallet forgotten in glove box - the mirrors won't open up. Very good logic. They got this remarkably wrong in the Harrier afterwards. The ORVMs open on car unlock in Harrier! How can the car maker get this different in 2 cars?
  • Like the Vista - rear wiper automatically starts if front wiper is active & car is put into reverse gear.
  • The switches & rotary dials for AC, music & phone controls on the dashboard are a boon. I love these mechanical switches. They are located perfectly & takes no time to get the muscle memory trained for them. Not once does one have to take eyes off the road to find the buttons on the touch screen. Good safety!
  • If any of the doors or boot hatch are not fully latched & we try to lock the car from fob or request sensor - the car locks the other doors & honks to notify that a door is left open. Nifty!
  • The coat hooks at the back & shopping bag hook in the passenger foot-well are quite sturdy & very useful indeed.
  • Roof lining fabric material & knitting is quite high quality for this segment. Looks very good & feels nice to touch too.

In Car Entertainment
  • I don't think we need to discuss this one. Tata together with Harman has been making the best stock ICE setup since half a decade now & Nexon is no exception. I think the official Nexon review details this factor very well.
  • Yes - the system seems to be a bit low on RAM and hence has a bit of a lag that one has to get used to. But Google assistant & Android auto pretty much mask it all & make things really good to use.
  • I strongly recommend using Spotify with Android Auto for music. Works the best as a combination & gives excellent sound quality also. Ironhide made me subscribe to the paid premium version of Spotify. Its that good.

Niggles, Issues & Service Experience
  • There was one niggle that came with the car & I didn't catch at the PDI. The system clock (and ICE clock) were both not adjustable & would run according to their will. It was also very slow & would fall behind as much as 1-2 hours in a day. Rendering it useless. Turned out that the car was running the ICE software 3 versions behind the latest one. I wonder why that would be the case. How hard would it be to flash the latest version in the system before dispatching the car out from the plant? Thankfully - Bafna service center has the latest version at hand always & my trusted SA (Mr. Shekhar Deshpande) flashed it for me in 5 minutes. The problem was solved.
  • The fuel filler outer lid was a bit off. It wouldn't latch in to locked position on normal press. After a couple of times where it opened during driving - I checked it. It wasn't aligned properly. Forcefully tilted it a bit upwards from the end opposite to the hinge edge & now it works well. Poor QC. In a way - poor part quality also. In the Vista - this was a 2 piece unit. An outer metallic shell (visible from outside, that had a very good quality plastic cladding with buffer & hook. This used to work much better. The new one seems more economical to manufacture. Okay - but should have been aligned better at factory. Afterwards - learnt that a lot of Nexon owners had this issue.
  • Around 3 months into ownership - rats bit through the V Belts for AC compressor & alternator. AC belt directly snapped when I cranked the engine while the alternator belt thankfully survived & was usable for some more time. I drove to the Bafna ASC & even with the visible rat damage on the belt (and a few rat hair besides the wheel well inside - they changed both poly V Belts under warranty. (Goodwill warranty.) Can't ask for more. I have had such an experience with Tata ASC since 10 years now. Maybe I'm just too lucky. Fingers crossed.

Getting the V Belts replaced -

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-vbeltchange.jpg
  • Since then - I spray Nichem NO ENTRY rat repellent spray all over the engine bay in generous amounts once every 3 months. I have also hung 3 tobacco pouches around the engine bay. Not a single rat has entered since. Touch wood. I'd strongly recommend this non toxic spray. It is available here - Link - Amazon.in Nichem No Entry Rat Spray
  • Other than this - the ownership so far has been issue free. I have done a lot of changes myself in the car & they are all also working fine.
  • I have done the 2 scheduled services (inspections) so far. 1st one at National Autowheels (only since I purchased car from them) and 2nd one at Bafna - my trusted ASC since a decade. Both were fine - nothing was to be done at all anyway.
  • I'd strongly recommend the professional rubbing-washing-polishing treatment available at Bafna Narhe. It costs a reasonable INR 650 only. They rub any minor scratches on the body, remove tar deposits near bottom edges of the car, wash, wax & polish the car. And the detailing is good. Worth the money. I generally don't opt for such services at ASCs but I trust my SA & took his word at the 2nd service to try it. Henceforth its going to be a regular item during my service visits.

Geez, I thought I was keeping it compact by writing it in points & not paragraphs. Was I wrong! Anyway - so that's in a nutshell how I met Ironhide (when I was out looking for Optimus Prime perhaps - Safari Storme)! Anything worth mentioning happens or I manage to get any good pictures along the way, I'll keep it all logged on this thread which has squarely become an ownership thread.

Last edited by Reinhard : 6th April 2020 at 17:38.
Reinhard is offline   (70) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 08:27   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!

Your car is going to our homepage very shortly
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 10:01   #6
BHPian

Superb Detailing and wishing you a much more fun-filled memorable days with your Ironhide. It's a love at first sight for many riders and never turning back after the ownership. I knew few of my friends who are in the verge of regretting for choosing other machines over Nexon! Brilliant from TATA!

P.S: Am also part of TNT tribe from Chennai.
Johnnny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 10:15   #7
BHPian

This thread makes me like the Nexon even more! And the consumers have reciprocated to Tata's efforts! IMO more than the Tata Tiago or Tigor, it was the Nexon that led to Tata's rebirth. If I'm in the market for a diesel compact crossover, this would be my first choice, even over the Ford Ecosport (which I find to be overrated & dated now).

Great ownership report sir! This shows to the amazing extent to which Indian manufacturers have caught up with foreign competition. Do take care, and please stay at home.
BZ25 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 10:50   #8
BHPian

Thank you for sharing your observations, and also those nifty Easter eggs. Adds so much value to what makes this vehicle truly special. Congratulations on your Nexon!
sam_babushka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 11:02   #9
BHPian

Brilliant post with smallest details of every corner. Rightly described it as a Naughty Boy rather than Lady. Luckily my 2018 petrol Nexon has some features which were omitted in the future models, as mentioned by you. Million thanks for the DIY links and also mentioning me in your post.

Rated a well deserved 5 Star.

Sharing few photos of my Nexon, which i proudly call "Falcon".

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-1.jpg

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-2.jpg

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-3.jpg

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-dsc_0397.jpg

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-4.jpg

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-5.jpg

Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-6.jpg
Sujoy76 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 15:19   #10
BHPian

Awesome write up. I was glued till the end and rated this 5 stars. I completely agree with your points on the Nexon, as this is my primary drive as well.

On the diesel engine + AMT gear box combo, I felt it to be better than on the Brezza and have very few complaints. The torque is very encouraging. On a wet day I can feel my front wheels spinning and some under steer coming in on giving full throttle. I have done 30K+ Kms till date in the last ~21 months and have already recommended to a few of my friends and colleagues, who are proud owners as well.

I also particularly liked the tasteful modification and will look to give my ride some new styling update

Here is my Nexon :
Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel-img_20180624_171105.jpg

Last edited by charanreddy : 7th April 2020 at 15:23.
charanreddy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 16:36   #11
GTB
BHPian

Thank you Reinhard, for a detailed review. You reviewed way better than most followed YouTubers. I believe we enthusiasts buy cars only if we can connect to it. I liked your picture with your new and departing car. I do appreciate your Sales Executive for the thought. Comparing a decade-old car to a current-generation car is a good idea, as people like me have no idea about such cars. Also, I liked your listed-point style writing over paragraphs as it helps to identify where you left easily when you read in pauses.

I wish you many more happy miles on your ride.
GTB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 18:12   #12
BANNED

Nice write up Reinhard. Totally agree with all points you made here. Really liked all the DIY you did on your car and I am also planning to do couple of them with my Tiago.
You mentioned that you worked in Hinjewadi. I also work in Hinjewadi Phase III and if I am not wrong I have seen you once in famous Hinjewadi traffic while heading towards office in the morning. I could identify you by your username which you have mentioned on your car and ofcourse team bhp stickers
drkuldeep1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 20:19   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post
Superb Detailing and wishing you a much more fun-filled memorable days with your Ironhide.
P.S: Am also part of TNT tribe from Chennai.
Thanks Johny! Glad you liked it. Argh, I didn't know you were a BHPian too! Would have mentioned you in the list. Alas!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ25 View Post
Great ownership report sir! This shows to the amazing extent to which Indian manufacturers have caught up with foreign competition. Do take care, and please stay at home.
Thanks BZ25, glad you liked it! Yes our homegrown auto makers sure are on the right track towards maturity. Folks like KIA are sure setting the bar higher again - but then thats the benefit of a good competitor being around. Avoids complacency - something our auto sector has been plagued with for years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujoy76 View Post
Brilliant post with smallest details of every corner. Rightly described it as a Naughty Boy rather than Lady.

Million thanks for the DIY links and also mentioning me in your post. Rated a well deserved 5 Star.
Thanks Sujoy76 sir for the feedback! Glad you found it useful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujoy76 View Post
Sharing few photos of my Nexon, which i proudly call "Falcon".
Always an eye-candy - Falcon. Been an avid follower of your brilliant travelogues & smashing pictures. Thanks for adding a much needed style & bling to this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
Awesome write up. I was glued till the end and rated this 5 stars. I completely agree with your points on the Nexon, as this is my primary drive as well.
Thanks charanreddy! Glad you liked it. Makes the writing worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
I also particularly liked the tasteful modification and will look to give my ride some new styling update
Here is my Nexon
Thanks! Do post pictures once done. That's one handsome steed you got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
Thank you Reinhard, for a detailed review. You reviewed way better than most followed YouTubers. I believe we enthusiasts buy cars only if we can connect to it. I liked your picture with your new and departing car. I do appreciate your Sales Executive for the thought. Comparing a decade-old car to a current-generation car is a good idea, as people like me have no idea about such cars. Also, I liked your listed-point style writing over paragraphs as it helps to identify where you left easily when you read in pauses. I wish you many more happy miles on your ride.
Thanks for the kind words GTB! Appreciate it. Glad you liked the details & the way I wrote them. So true - a car that connects with you sure makes those journeys far more enjoyable. They make the journey more enjoyable than the destinations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkuldeep1998 View Post
Nice write up Reinhard. Totally agree with all points you made here. Really liked all the DIY you did on your car and I am also planning to do couple of them with my Tiago.
Hi drkuldeep1998, thanks! Happy you liked the write up & the DIYs. Great - do not hesitate to message me should you need any help with your DIYs. Would be happy to help! Almost all the DIYs in Nexon and Tiago are identical. The cars share so many parts and design elements that same process of DIY can work for both cars pretty much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkuldeep1998 View Post
You mentioned that you worked in Hinjewadi. I also work in Hinjewadi Phase III and if I am not wrong I have seen you once in famous Hinjewadi traffic while heading towards office in the morning. I could identify you by your username which you have mentioned on your car and ofcourse team bhp stickers
Ah I see! Yes I work in Ph3 too. Next time I'll keep an eye open when Tiago is around. I hope I wasn't driving bad . See you soon hopefully.

Last edited by Reinhard : 7th April 2020 at 20:21.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 10:01   #14
BANNED

Yes totally agree with you with respect to similarity of parts used in both vehicles. I will surely let you know if I need any help for any DIY (thinking of changing the stock fog lamps of Tiago with 55W HID bi-xenon projector fog lights)

Good to know that you also work at Ph III. I work with TCS. Hope to see you sometime there

Last edited by drkuldeep1998 : 8th April 2020 at 10:17.
Old 8th April 2020, 11:37   #15
BHPian

Great write-up, and you've carried out quite a lot of thoughtful modifications. Nexon is indeed a befitting replacement for the Vista.

A question, if I may ask. How do you find the Nexon's rear-seat comfort (the bench, specifically) and legroom to be, compared to the Vista? I've travelled a lot in the Vista and have found its rear seat legroom and seating comfort to be the best in its class, and it can easily trump many sedans from a class above in this regard.

Wishing you lots and lots of happy miles!
ram.iyer95 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks