Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2020, 19:05   #16
BHPian

Re: Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT

Hey, that's a wonderful review. Love the attention to detail! A great review from an ownership perspective. Would appreciate if you could share your experiences on service, parts and cost over due course of ownership.
The Glanza seems VFM in every sense and the fact that Toyota is offering 3 years/1,00,000 kms is great. A no nonsense product with a jewel of a K12 petrol rev happy motor.

Stick on to this one for long! She'll reward you in every aspect.

Last edited by ampere : 18th April 2020 at 07:00. Reason: Formatted
advenk999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 21:02   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Question- How does Toyota manage to undercut Maruti, with the Glanza? I used to believe Glanza being based on Baleno, Toyota would have to pay some sort of royalty to Maruti? Can someone please explain how this business model works for Toyota?
https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Toyot...from-this-deal

https://www.rushlane.com/toyota-glan...-12311056.html

There you go
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 12:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Heck, our 1.1 irde i10 was waaaay smoother! (I’ve not been in a JTP though, so wouldn’t know much about its NVH).
Right on the money!!! That is why Tata should think about upgrading their 1.2 Petrol engine seriously. It was foolish to launch the car with such a weak engine in a car that is otherwise fantastic and is the complete package in every sense. Cars that cost much less than the Altroz have better Petrol engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Congratulations skanchan95 on the new acquisition - a Super Hornet! Wish you unlimited safe & happy miles with the Glanza! (Loved the scale model too! We often interact on the naval/air force threads so that model isn't a surprise at all. )

Wonderful detailed review there. Enjoyed reading every bit of it. Thanks!
Thank you.

Quote:
But then I'm an oil burner, so rarely face this question.
The diesel variant of the Altroz should probably be better to drive.

Quote:
And the Altroz scale model incident . We both had the exact same experience in buying that fairly costly thing! We both selected the same colour, got the wrong one & needed to remind the Tata customer care for a month to get it post payment. I still have our message correspondence as something to smirk about later.
Tata must realize that such things can make or break a brand. Their Customer Care is probably the poorest among all major brands. Dealing with their Customer Care for that scale model experience was just and the thing that troubled me the most was what f I had to deal such poor customer care in case tings went south with the Altroz service experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
The driving position was good except for one slight issue, the driver seat is placed a bit too forward for my liking, the IRVM comes in my line of sight during driving. I found this a bit irritating, maybe it's because the front dashboard isn't very long & hence the front seats are placed a bit too forward.
Thank you.

Good point you made about the IRVM and LoS. You probably noticed the IRVM issue because the slant height of the Baleno/Glanza windshield is shorter than the competition. The Figo windshield looks huge in comparison. Just did a quick and rough measurement and found that our Grand i10's windshield slant height is atleast 10-12 cms longer than the Glanza's windshield. The width of the Glanza windshield is of course wider than the Grand i10. So probably that is the reason beyond your eagle eyed observation. I did not notice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
Excellent well detailed review and a well deserved congratulations

I wish you countless miles of safe and hassle free driving! Hope to meet you the next time I am in town!
Thank you. I remember sighting you car as well. I think it was near Ghazali.
Let me know when you are in town next, will meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post

Being a Toyota customer, you would be interested in showing the behind the scenes of their customer service initiatives.
Thank you. That was good to read and it is great that Toyota is involved in such initiatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Question- How does Toyota manage to undercut Maruti, with the Glanza? I used to believe Glanza being based on Baleno, Toyota would have to pay some sort of royalty to Maruti? Can someone please explain how this business model works for Toyota?
Had the same question in mind till TheHelix0202 posted those links later in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Many congratulations on your new ride skanchan95! I remember our conversations from back in January and feel good to have contributed to your car purchase decision. Wish you countless happy miles with the Glanza.
Thank you. I had no credible contacts to check about Auto Matrix's service feedback and it was simply great to get that feedback from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
The Altroz review is live and along with that Tata need to read your ownership thread too, and realize how they keep goofing up.
Yes, it would be great if Tata actually works on gettings basics right. Launching Great looking cars but with a poor engine option & even poorer customer support is unpardonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Congrats SKanchan sir. I hope the Super Hornet remains in your garage and doesn't make into IAF/IN inventory too.
Thank you. The Hornet just might make it, considering how the Navy is going gaga over American equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by advenk999 View Post
Hey, that's a wonderful review. Love the attention to detail!
Thank you & yes, I will keep updating the thread. Service costs of the Glanza is something I am going to keep a keen eye on especially because with the Figo, I have very happy about the lower service costs(compared to Hyundai). Ford was keeping a tight leash on their workshops when it came service costs and openly advertising service costs on their website. I had seen something vaguely similar on the Toyota Connect Mobile app(the app has many features disabled now because of the lockdown so I cannot check now).

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 30th May 2020 at 12:29. Reason: Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP
skanchan95 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 01:10   #19
BHPian

Congratulations on the new car. It looks great in this "dark silver shade". That was a very detailed review. It must be annoying not able to drive your newly acquired car due to the pandemic. The wheels on the Glanza look far better than the ones on the Baleno. The only issue I've had with the Glanza is the name, apart from that, taking price and warranty into consideration it would be a far better proposition than the Baleno.
BMvW.Rajat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 22:11   #20
BHPian

The thing that caught my attention the most is the enormous "Registration + Road Tax". I knew these charges are on the higher side in Karnataka but looking at these figures left me staggered. It's even more than the double of what it would cost in many other major cities across India.
Old 19th April 2020, 12:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMvW.Rajat View Post
Congratulations on the new car. It looks great in this "dark silver shade". That was a very detailed review. It must be annoying not able to drive your newly acquired car due to the pandemic.
Thank you. It is annoying yes, but cannot help it. Would rather drive the car when its safe than to risk playing with my health and break the law now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMvW.Rajat View Post
The wheels on the Glanza look far better than the ones on the Baleno.
I think you meant the alloys of the old Baleno? The new Baleno(Facelift) has the same alloy wheel design as the Glanza. Only difference - logo at the center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astitva View Post
The thing that caught my attention the most is the enormous "Registration + Road Tax". I knew these charges are on the higher side in Karnataka but looking at these figures left me staggered. It's even more than the double of what it would cost in many other major cities across India.
Well, if you found that staggering, read this. When we bought our i20 in 2009 in Gujarat, the LTT paid to RTO, Junagadh was around Rs 32000.

We shifted to Mangalore, Karnataka and got the car transported to Mangalore in 2013. In 2014, we decided to pay the LTT for Karnataka as it was the right thing to do and to avoid harassment by the cops.

The LTT Amount paid to RTO, Mangalore was Rs 67,446(this included the depreciation for a four and a half year old car - LTT if the car was new would have been around 86K odd). We had applied for a refund of the balance Road Tax Amount from RTO, Junagadh, but the amount never came.

As you can see, we paid more than double the Road Tax amount to RTO, Mangalore for a four & half year old car than we paid for brand new car to RTO, Junagadh. The Road Tax in Karnataka is unjustifiably high compared to other states.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 19th April 2020 at 12:45.
skanchan95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 15:31   #22
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase. I hope you have a happy ownership experience with it. I test drove the Glanza as soon as it arrived at the Toyota dealership. However, I had gone there with the expectation of a fun to drive Hatchback so I was disappointed. But, recently, again I got the chance to drive the vehicle and to my surprise I was pleased to drive and believe it is a capable city drive with great mileage (as mentioned by you).

Also, I would like to point out the ridiculous RTO taxes in Rajasthan. It is around 14% (as against 17% in Karnataka) of the Ex-Showroom price . And the neighboring states such as Haryana, Gujarat, Delhi have so reasonable RTO tax rates. No wonder we see so many Delhi, Haryana registered vehicles in our city.
Old 20th April 2020, 00:39   #23
BHPian

I didn't know about the change in the wheels.

The other thing I was surprised about was the fact that you were offered only a 25000 discount on the BS4 Baleno, totally not worth it! You'd rather buy the BS6, it'll fetch you a better price come resale. I've always felt that the sales staff at Maruti showrooms are under-trained and complacent.

I don't know how it is now with the Nexa showrooms, but I remember that when the Ciaz was not a Nexa product, I went with a friend to check it out and was disappointed with the employees of the dealership, we didn't expect him to be extremely nice or anything but my friend was planning on picking up a car which is one of the biggest purchases a person will make during his lifetime, he could've been a little more enthusiastic. He just handed us a generic price list and said this is the price, that is the car on display, let me know if you want a test drive. Maybe this is a rant for a different thread.

Last edited by ampere : 20th April 2020 at 00:56. Reason: added spacing for readability
Old 20th April 2020, 15:45   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
As you can see, we paid more than double the Road Tax amount to RTO, Mangalore for a four & half year old car than we paid for brand new car to RTO, Junagadh. The Road Tax in Karnataka is unjustifiably high compared to other states.

As soon as we speak of insanely high road taxes in Karnataka, people start defending it citing the infamous Bangalore traffic.
However, I don't think that the rest of Karnataka is anywhere near as traffic congested as the other major Indian cities. These laws should be revised. It's just harassment. Moreover, since the new cars are comparatively so expensive, the used car market in Bangalore is also on a significantly higher side.
I've lived in Bangalore for over 2 years and I really like the city, just this automotive scenario is disappointing.
Old 27th May 2020, 11:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

Alloy rim Damage

Quote:
Exteriors
The 16" Alloys. While they do look good, they can be a maintenance nightmare in the long run. Simple and plain silver paint finish alloys ar easier to maintain and repair(repaint) in case of scratches or nicks. Not sure if scratches on the machine finished part of the alloy can be repaired.
I never thought this observation would turn out be reality so soon

Couple of days ago, I noticed these scratches on the front driver's side wheel.
Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-img20200524wa0000.jpg

Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-img20200524wa0001.jpg

My heart sank on seeing this and I was not really sure how it happened. Although I knew nothing much could be done to repair/restore it, I still thought of seeking and opinion from Sanjay Shet( of Pitzstop Carz Spa), who probably is the best in Mangalore for car detailing & paint restoration works.

I sent him photos on whatsapp. He said he could try using a Dremel tool to try and buff the scratches. But he could not guarantee how it will look in the end and the scratch marks might still be visible. Next day, I drove the car to Carz Spa for him to have a look at it closely and begin the repair work.

On looking a it closely, he said one of the scratches was too deep to even attempt a repair job. He said firstly he would have to reach to the level of the deepest scratch while buffing, which would mean a light depression would get form on the scratched area on the alloy rim and it would end up looking even worse.

A similar or even worse scratches on a plain silver(or other colour) alloy rim could easily be repaired and repainted but in case of damage on a Machine Finished alloy rim, nothing much can be done practically to restore it to its original finish. He advised me to let it be as it is and live with it (which was an eye sore) or if I really had trouble living with it, claim insurance.

Went to United Toyota and the SA- Goutham said the same thing - as the alloy is machine finished, nothing can be done to repair it. Either I have to pay for a new rim or claim Insurance. I chose to go with the latter. They have ordered the rim and it will take 3 days for it to come to the workshop. Post arrival of the rim, have to keep the car at the workshop for two days for claim formalities.

On the driving front, as per Fillup app,the car is returning an impressive mileage of 16.4 kmpl(with AC on all the time). On the MID, it is showing 17.2 kmpl. The car is an absolute joy to drive thanks to the superb engine and I am extremely happy with the car so far.
Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-screenshot_20200527110239_fillup.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd June 2020 at 20:13. Reason: Minor typo
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 17:10   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Alloy rim Damage

Quote:
My heart sank on seeing this and I was not really sure how it happened. Although I knew nothing much could be done to repair/restore it, I still thought of seeking and opinion from Sanjay Shet( of Pitzstop Carz Spa), who probably is the best in Mangalore for car detailing & paint restoration works.
Oops, you must be feeling justifiably frustrated at that sight. Yes, they are right that nothing can be done. By the looks of it - the car has either bumped over a large stone or side-walk while parking and they have left scratch marks on the tyre side-wall and alloy wheel under rotation. Good that the side-wall has survived without much deeper damage.

As for the scratch mark - if you just let it be, over next couple of months, natural elements, humidity & sunlight will work their magic and the scratch won't be as prominently visible as it is right now. Once you grow used to it - your mind also reduces the impact of that sight. At the end of the day, its just a wheel that provides contact to the road & this is bound to happen on our roads. Out there, nobody but yourself will ever notice that there is a small nick on the wheel rim. I see you have already ordered a replacement & are claiming insurance for it. A few years ago I would have done the exact same thing I think. Have started making peace with such little nicks off late. Perhaps you keep that alloy with you now & get rid of the steel spare wheel. You'll have an alloy spare wheel that way.

Last edited by Reinhard : 27th May 2020 at 17:12.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 11:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Re: Alloy rim Damage

Quote:
As for the scratch mark - if you just let it be, over next couple of months, natural elements, humidity & sunlight will work their magic and the scratch won't be as prominently visible as it is right now. Once you grow used to it - your mind also reduces the impact of that sight. At the end of the day, its just a wheel that provides contact to the road & this is bound to happen on our roads. Out there, nobody but yourself will ever notice that there is a small nick on the wheel rim. I see you have already ordered a replacement & are claiming insurance for it. A few years ago I would have done the exact same thing I think. Have started making peace with such little nicks off late.
This probably is the first time I've such a bad scratch on an alloy wheel in any one of our cars and that is why I was having a hard time accepting it. I am very careful around curbs/potholes etc and always try to choose a secured parking spot, even if it means I have to walk some distance to my intended destination. I have seen minor nicks and paint chips on alloy rims of our cars, but those were barely noticeable and they were plain silver finish alloys. I used to stick a small piece of cellophane tape on the nick/paint chip spot to keep the elements from causing more damage to it( fear of rusting/ paint peeling etc). In fact I remember I had even got my first gen i20's alloy( plain silver) repainted after a wheel alignment center carelessly scratched it while removing the alloy wheel(for balancing).

Quote:
Perhaps you keep that alloy with you now & get rid of the steel spare wheel. You'll have an alloy spare wheel that way.
That I certainly will do but the spare tyre specification is 185/65 cross section tyre mounted on a 15" steel wheel while the four alloy mounted tyres are 195/55 R16 tyres which means the spare tyre cannot be mounted on the 16" alloy wheel rim.

Besides that, the larger 16" Alloy probably might not fit in the spare wheel storage space in the boot. I will anyway keep it in storage in the store room. Fingers crossed, such or bigger damage should not occur in the future on the alloys. Should it occur, I can swap that alloy with this one.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 10:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Front Driver's Side Ally Wheel Rim replaced

Got the front driver's side alloy wheel rim was replaced yesterday( June 01,2020) at United Toyota, Mangalore. The SA, Gautham had called and informed me on Saturday that the alloy wheel rim had arrived at the workshop (May 30,2020).

I chose not to claim insurance as anyway I had to pay Rs 1000 as claim charges and I would have had to for got NCB on the policy.

The entire process(including wheel alignment and balancing of the wheel) took around three and a half hours. It was understandable as the workshop is running with less than half of the staff because of the current situation. I have retained the old rim in case I need to use it in the future. Total bill came to Rs 9667( Rim costed Rs 7500 odd + Alignment/Balancing & sanitization charges).

Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-billfl.jpg

Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-wheel_1.jpg
skanchan95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 10:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if this is a known issue or do I have a faulty fuel gauge or fuel tank sensor.

The tank shows slightly lesser than 1/4th tank full petrol yet the yellow low fuel warning light on the speedometer (and on the screen of the infotainment system screen) came up.

Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-ft-warn.jpg

This is the second time I am noticing something like this in the car. On a couple of occasions earlier, the low fuel warning came up only after the needle was much nearer to the empty mark.

Is this a known issue on the Glanza/Baleno or should I have it checked?
Old 3rd July 2020, 09:27   #30
BHPian

Re: Front Driver's Side Ally Wheel Rim replaced

Quote:
I chose not to claim insurance as anyway I had to pay Rs 1000 as claim charges and I would have had to for got NCB on the policy.

The entire process(including wheel alignment and balancing of the wheel) took around three and a half hours. It was understandable as the workshop is running with less than half of the staff because of the current situation. I have retained the old rim in case I need to use it in the future. Total bill came to Rs 9667( Rim costed Rs 7500 odd + Alignment/Balancing & sanitization charges).
This is something that I have always wanted to understand when I see people not opting to claim insurance because it meant forgoing the NCB.

The NCB usually is between 20-50% of the insurance premium payable. So considering your case, even if the premium for your car the next year is around Rs 15000 and you get to claim a 50% NCB discount, you'd still end up paying at least Rs 7500 as premium. This would mean that you ended up paying a total of Rs 15000 (Rs 7500 as premium + Rs 7500 for the rim) during the year, as opposed to Rs 16000 (Rs 15000 premium + Rs 1000 as claim charges).

If you were to have something else repaired at your own cost without claiming NCB, you'd end up paying even more.

The Rs 1000 paid extra is worth it for the peace of mind you get when considering you can claim insurance for the rest of the year if anything else untoward happens.

IMHO, unless the damage is something that costs less than Rs 5000, it's better from the strictly financial viewpoint to claim insurance.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks