Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2022, 11:49   #46
Senior - BHPian

2 years/20,000 kms service

December 31, 2021 : 4th Service (24 months/ 20,000 kms)
Kilometer wise, the car had almost covered 10,000 kms since the last service(31/01/2021) and it was time for its service

Odometer reading was 19257 kms. Service booking was done through the Toyota Connect mobile app on 30/11/2021. The same evening there was a service booking confirmation call from United Toyota, Padil Mangalore for 10 AM.

Reached the United Toyota the next day at 9:55 AM. The SA assigned to my car was Mr Nithin Bhandary and he was prompt in attending the car. Apart from the usual things that were to be changed during service, he said A/C Duct Cleaning & Disinfecting & Wheel Alignment/Balancing/Tyre Rotation and if I wanted to get them done, to which I said ok but asked him to ensure that they don't up scratching the alloy rims like they did during the last service. He assured me he will personally look after it.

Other than slight drop in the FE & pickup over the last 2-3 months (same driving style, same roads, same fuel station, similar traffic etc), I had no other complaints with the car (rattles/squeaks/malfunctions etc). The SA said the FE & pickup will go up again to usual levels after the service. If not then to inform him. The car was taken in at 10:10 AM and I was promised delivery by 1:15-1:30 PM and I waited in the lounge.

The FE stats over the last one year - highest of 18 kmpl & lowest of 15 kmpl:
Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-fuel_1.jpg
Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-fuel_2.jpg

By 1 PM, I received an alert on the Toyota Connect app that the bill was Rs 7225.00 and the car ready for delivery. Engine Oil, Brake Oil, Engine Coolant & Oil Filter were changed. Wheel Alignment/Balancing, TR were done.
Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-bill_final.jpg

Quick glance on the alloy rims - No Scratches or Damage and I left the workshop happy with the experience this time!!! One the back home, I noticed that the pickup had improved. Will keep an eye on the FE figures over the next 2-3 months.

The service expenses so far:
Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-serv-exp.jpg

Two years on, I am extremely happy with the car. No niggles or issues, No Maruti-like rattles from door panels/dashboard etc. Ignoring the FE drop in the last 2-3 months, the FE continues to delight me, which has has stayed above 16kmpl (with A/C on all the time in a mix of city & highway driving). The car is such a pleasure to drive and feels as good as new after service.

Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-gl_1.jpg

Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-gl_2.jpg

Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-gl_3.jpg

Last edited by skanchan95 : 1st January 2022 at 12:04.
skanchan95 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 12:39   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2 years/20,000 kms service

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
December 31, 2021 : 4th Service (24 months/ 20,000 kms)
Kilometer wise, the car had almost covered 10,000 kms since the last service(31/01/2021) and it was time for its service
Good job maintaining the Super Hornet in top shape. Despite running in Bangalore traffic, it still looks brand new, touchwood.

Noticed couple of things, when compared to BS6 Baleno:

1. Toyota used 5W30 grade oil on your car, while all Maruti K series engines today are on 0W16 fully synthetic from factory. What grade does Toyota recommend in the owners manual?

2. Coolant: Did you get to see what coolant Toyota is using for Glanza? For sure it's the yellow Stuff which MSIL uses, but did they use concentrate or premixed? The regular concentrate coolant in MSIL costs around Rs. 260-270, while the one used by Toyota costs Rs. 339, hence curious.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: In your 10k service they poured in 0W20 grade oil, not good IMO to change oil grades so often without any reason.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 1st January 2022 at 12:53. Reason: Adding PS
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 14:16   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Good job maintaining the Super Hornet in top shape. Despite running in Bangalore traffic, it still looks brand new, touchwood.
Thank you & it's Mangalore, not Bangalore. Traffic is not as chaotic as Bangalore but can get pretty messy on a bad day.

Quote:
2. Coolant: Did you get to see what coolant Toyota is using for Glanza? For sure it's the yellow Stuff which MSIL uses, but did they use concentrate or premixed? The regular concentrate coolant in MSIL costs around Rs. 260-270, while the one used by Toyota costs Rs. 339, hence curious.
It is Yellowish Green
Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-engine-coll.jpg

Quote:
Noticed couple of things, when compared to BS6 Baleno:
1. Toyota used 5W30 grade oil on your car, while all Maruti K series engines today are on 0W16 fully synthetic from factory. What grade does Toyota recommend in the owners manual?

PS: In your 10k service they poured in 0W20 grade oil, not good IMO to change oil grades so often without any reason.
Some eye for detail you have!!! Till now, I never checked for such details and trusted them blindly thinking service centers strictly adhere to manufacturer specified specifications regarding consumables like Engine oil, coolant etc. I guess have to be careful next time & take this up with the SA now.

You are right. In the 10k service, they filled 0W-20 grade engine oil, which is what the manual recommends:
Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-screenshot_20220101135155_toyota-connect-india.jpg
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 17:13   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some eye for detail you have!!! Till now, I never checked for such details and trusted them blindly thinking service centers strictly adhere to manufacturer specified specifications regarding consumables like Engine oil, coolant etc. I guess have to be careful next time & take this up with the SA now.
Thanks for confirming. I highly recommend being vigilant with these things. Didn't expect this from Toyota service, because they have lesser volumes to deal with and as per my experience, are pretty well informed about these things compared to the blissfully ignorant MASS. Given the large number of models Maruti has, if they go by book, they will have to stock 20w40, 15w40, 5w40, 5w30(D), 5w30(P), 0w20, 0w16 at the very least, and some also offer grades like 0W40 as fully synthetic upgrade options.

To avoid stocking such large number of grades, they often stock couple of grades like 5w30 mineral and 5w30 Diesel spec, and will pour these grades in all the cars they get. This is still fine because it won't dramatically harm any model, but some MASS go a step further and are known to pour ultra thin 0w16 grade in legacy models like M800, Omni, Gypsy etc and creating issues for those engines immediately. I have also come across a case few years ago, when a recently serviced Swift's engine seized, the owner rightfully escalated to Maruti, and when Maruti analysed the engine and service records, they found 20w50 grade poured into the engine by the dealer, that slowly damaged the strainer or oil pump, eventually causing total failure of the lubrication system on one fine day. Maruti refused engine replacement under warranty, but forced the erring dealer to bear the costs for new engine.

The engines have unbelievably low tolerances these days, and one should always be vigilant and not leave these things in hands of the dealer.

Atleast in your case, 5w30 won't harm your engine in anyway since it's recommended by manufacturer to be used when other grades are unavailable or in different climatic conditions. You can expect some extra drag within your engine, but that's it. Also keep an eye over the oil once you cross 5k kms on it, because the 0w20 grade was fully synthetic and easily lasted the drain interval. 5w30 comes in both Mineral and Synthetic types, not sure what TASS poured.

Sorry for the long post, but I've seen enough carelessness in workshops and that eventually affects our cars.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 11:25   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for confirming. I highly recommend being vigilant with these things.
Thank you for the very informative post. I shall keep them in mind and keep an eye on them next time. To avoid any future complications and for my own record, I've asked them for an explanation on e-mail regarding the oil grade mixup.

Meanwhile, I noticed something has gone missing from the car too - a very beautiful & highly detailed "India Flag" Patch( with Velcro Backing) that I had bought from Aliexpress 4-5 years ago and stuck on the cabin roof.

Before:
Name:  23.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  32.8 KB

Now:
Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-22-copy.jpg

I saw loose very fine residual threads in its place, so it is clear it was ripped off by someone at the ASC. The same flag patch was stuck by me on my earlier Figo and it was never touched by anyone at the Ford ASC. That I had got the patch for cheap from Aliexpress is the only consolation but it angers me that it was flicked by someone at an ASC, where I consider the car to be in safe hands both technically or otherwise. It may be difficult to get such intricately detailed Flag patches in India and I have to start hunting for one now.

Lesson learnt : Remove such things from the car before handing over the car to the ASC.
skanchan95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 18:11   #51
BHPian

Quote:
To avoid any future complications and for my own record, I've asked them for an explanation on e-mail regarding the oil grade mixup.
My Glanza had its 1 year service done from Trivandrum. I checked the invoice after seeing the thread and it also shows 5w30. So I'm guessing they're doing this is in all Toyota service centers. The price of the engine oil also seems to be similar to yours. I thought it was lower that expected. Any idea if synthetics are available at such low prices or could it be mineral oil? While I'm not really concerned about 5w30, I'm concerned if they've used mineral oil, since I'm not sure mineral oil is fine for a 1 year change interval.
gopaneel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 12:26   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
T

Atleast in your case, 5w30 won't harm your engine in anyway since it's recommended by manufacturer to be used when other grades are unavailable or in different climatic conditions.
This is the update I received from United Toyota, Mangalore after I lodged a complaint on e-mail seeking an explanation for the following points:

1. Change in Grade of the Engine Oil Grade filled this time - They have received a notification from TKM to use 5W30 Grade Synthetic Engine oil on all Glanza models(including the Smart Hybrid model). I argued that if they were switching over engine oil type/grade like this, wasn't Engine Flushing required( which I wasn't sure)? They claim the service people would have done it before changing the oil, but I doubt it. However, I insisted that in case of any potential problems arising out of this, however unlikely it may be, I would expect Toyota to stand by me and honour the engine warranty. They assured me not to worry and that even if Toyota doesn't stand by the warranty (which they won't, being a reputed manufacturer), United Toyota, as the dealership, would stand by me - which was re-assuring.

2. Missing/Stolen India Flag Patch - They are conducing an internal enquiry as to where it went missing or who stole it - if it went missing while servicing or washing. I told them clearly that I am not expecting the patch back as whoever stole it is not going to come forward and say - "I did it, Sorry, take this back." I only advised them to educate their staff not to indulge in such activities as it spoils the trust between a customer & an ASC. They still said they have taken the complaint very seriously, are conducting an internal enquiry and will take necessary action to ensure that such things do not happen again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopaneel View Post
I thought it was lower that expected. Any idea if synthetics are available at such low prices or could it be mineral oil? While I'm not really concerned about 5w30, I'm concerned if they've used mineral oil, since I'm not sure mineral oil is fine for a 1 year change interval.
That's what worries me. It probably is Normal Mineral Oil which Toyota is using. See the price difference in Synthetic Oil and the normal engine oil we had put in our Hyundai Grand i10 (The price of Synthetic Engine Oil was more than double!!!)

"Normal" Engine Oil(which I assume is Mineral)- Rs 1007
Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-norm_oil.jpg

Synthetic Engine Oil- Rs 2822
Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-syth_oil.jpg

Last edited by skanchan95 : 5th January 2022 at 12:42.
skanchan95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 12:41   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is the update I received from United Toyota, Mangalore after I lodged a complaint on e-mail seeking an explanation for the following points:

1. Change in Grade of the Engine Oil Grade filled this time - They have received a notification from TKM to use 5W30 Grade Synthetic Engine oil on all Glanza models(including the Smart Hybrid model). I argued that if they were switching over engine oil type/grade like this, wasn't Engine Flushing required( which I wasn't sure)? They claim the service people would have done it before changing the oil, but I doubt it. However, I insisted that in case of any potential problems arising out of this, however unlikely it may be, I would expect Toyota to stand by me and honour the engine warranty. They assured me not to worry and that even if Toyota doesn't stand by the warranty (which they won't, being a reputed manufacturer), United Toyota, as the dealership, would stand by me - which was re-assuring.
This is the standard reply any workshop gives when enquired about grades, did you get to check the Notification/service circular? Does the latest Glanza owner's manual come with 5W30 recommended on it? I'm pretty sure it will if there is an official notification from TKM. Insist on seeing the official communication personally.

Also I find it pretty weird that MSIL whose engine K12M is, is using grades like 0W16 while TKM is recommending 5W30.

Regarding flush, it's not needed for grade change. Since they haven't billed it for you, they won't have poured a single drop in.

Regarding potential engine damage, rest assured nothing will happen with this minor change, but I'm someone who will always stick to manufacturer recommendation rather than workshop choosing the grade for me.

Also, keep an eye on the grades they pour from now on.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 12:43   #54
Senior - BHPian

Re: Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT

Can someone explain what exactly happened here?

Earlier, while booting up, and as expected, the Infotainment system used to display the Toyota logo.
Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-gla_tch_ty.jpg
A couple of days ago while driving, the infotainment system suddenly stopped, screen went blank and rebooted on its own. I didn't think much of it then and didn't notice anything amiss as everything was working - Android Auto, Google Maps, Music etc. Yesterday, my four and half year old daughter, pointing to the touchscreen said why is the Suzuki logo being display on the touchscreen?
Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-gla_tch_ms.jpg
Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-gla_tch_ty_1.jpg

The FE data from trips is still there and audio settings are still the same, therefore I can safely rule out a factory reset. If the system had done a factory reset during the automatic reboot event couple of days ago, I assume that the audio settings & FE data over the past month or so should have got reset too, but they didn't.
Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-glfe_1.jpg
Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-glfe_2.jpg
The software version is still the same as before - 1920
Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-glsw.jpg

To quote bhpian Leoshashi - "The Ghost of Suzuki came out"

After speaking to the SA, he asked me to bring the car to the service center to reinstall the software.

Getting a FOB Low Battery error too. Need to get the battery replaced.
Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-gla_btt_1.jpg
Super Hornet: Our 2020 Toyota Glanza V MT-gla_btt_2.jpg

Last edited by skanchan95 : 30th June 2022 at 12:56.
skanchan95 is offline   (101) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 08:57   #55
Senior - BHPian

Reminds me of office politics where the person who actually did the work is finally revealed!

Keep us posted on further updates with the adopted Toyota!
Turbohead is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 09:25   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Reminds me of the old Raj Kapoor song - "Mera joota hai japani, patloon hindustani......da, da, da ..... phir bhi dil hai Suzuki"

Or

The Intel advertisement - "Suzuki inside, ting tong"

Sorry Sandesh, I just felt mischievous. I'm sure the local Toyota service shop can cure it.

PS: Love those IAF patches.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 2nd July 2022 at 09:28.
V.Narayan is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 09:55   #57
BHPian

Once a suzuki always a suzuki I guess
Shonith is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 10:13   #58
BHPian

Quote:

Earlier, while booting up, and as expected, the Infotainment system used to display the Toyota logo.
You should not change this because now you can claim warranty and servicing from two manufacturers.

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd July 2022 at 11:06. Reason: Please do not quote an entire long post while replying. Thanks.
superbad is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 10:21   #59
BHPian

On a lighter note, reminds me of movie Karz when Monty remembers he was Ravi in previous birth ��
I hope you find the root cause and Toyota fixes it soon.
Attached Images

Rapidholic is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 11:12   #60
BHPian

I was reading the story of the blue fox to my kid just yesterday and I see this story today morning. I can't help but post here even if it is said earlier that the true colour bleeds through

However, I hope your Toyota ASS can help you with sorting out this problem. At the same time I wonder whether the same could occur in seltos/creta, sonet/venue, Brezza/UC because underneath the skin all these pairs are the same.

Last edited by BLACNWYTE : 2nd July 2022 at 11:14.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks