Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2020, 20:08   #16
BHPian

Re: My Silver Arrow! Pre-Owned Honda City

Many congratulations on your purchase. Type 3 facelift is the best looking Honda City in my opinion and its hard to find such clean examples in used car market.

I drive a pre-owned 2013 City V AT bought in 2018 and its been a trouble free ownership so far. I agree with you on most of the dislikes highlighted in your review with weak headlights being the most disliked aspect for me. I upgraded bulbs to Philips Xtreme Vision H4 but the improvement is nowhere close to the claimed 130%!

Since you have upgraded to Philips LEDs, how would rate them in terms of intensity, throw as well as spread? If you could also share the model name/number of the bulbs along with DRLs, that would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ZinFluent : 27th April 2020 at 20:09.
ZinFluent is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 22:54   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza123 View Post
The original music system was a high end one which the celebrity owner (can I reveal the name?) had removed from the car.
Good thread. How come nobody is interested in knowing who was the famous cricketer that owned and worshipped this beauty? Are we except me all gentle-human? or since the owner was/is playing gentleman's game, did we too decide to be so? At least I am not planning to be a one. Bring it on please with sugar on top.
katsumoto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 16:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on joining the Honda Club and owning the car with a great legacy in India

Quote:
We found a buyer the very next day for twice the amount Shreevas offered us.
This has been my experience as well. Sale to a direct buyer always offers a higher value and olx is a very good option to connect directly with Individual Buyers.

For the low Ground Clearance you can try out the RogerAbs (URL). They offer a trial as well where you can get a refund if you are not happy with it.
Old 28th April 2020, 16:41   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post
The next time you change your tyres, I recommend 195/65 section. That will increase your ground clearance by another 10mm
Thank you so much. Won’t that give an error on the speedo? Anyways am usually alone or with my wife so scraping is not really an issue as such but will keep in mind the next time I need to change. Any pictures of your ride ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Congratulations on your City. 5.6 for this legendary vehicle is a great bargain.
Quick question on the Pioneer HU, I have the same model in my vehicle, I am not sure how to change the splash screen. Any idea how to change it?
I agree I got a bargain for it. Although a lot of people told me i overpaid but I’d rather pay a little more for a well kept car than land up with a lemon.
As far as changing the splash screen goes I had to load the picture on a pen drive. Then go to the settings on the head unit and change it from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTO View Post
Congratulations on the purchase. This is the best looking Honda City (the face lift of previous gen) in my opinion and it ages well even better than the current gen city. I was always under the impression that City had a CVT auto and never knew it had a TC auto gearbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossLife View Post

One doubt, is not the gearbox CVT?
I agree on this being the best looking city till date. And it’s not because I have it.
The gearbox is a TC. The 2nd gen had a CVT and the 3rd gen a TC. Honda went back to CVT on the 4th gen of the city. I also believe this gearbox was a bit more advanced than even the civic at that point of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Hearty congratulations, and whether it's East or West, CITY will always be the best.
But Hondas do age really gracefully

Cheers!
VJ
Thanks VJ. I agree. She is like an old wine in a new bottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Congratulations on the car! As someone else mentioned, the fuel cap is linked to the central locking.Good to see you've addressed the feature less music system and candles for headlights.
Do post pictures of LED output and installation.
What kind of FE do you get?
Jokes apart, only people who've owned/ heavily driven this model know what it's worth. I only wish it was built better as that can't be addressed, the sound insulation is below par.
I will check the fuel filler cap and get back. Maybe I have never noticed this and always use to think of this as a design flaw.
Will post the pics of the Led light output. It’s good but Leds do have their limitation. Certainly better than those candles!
I get about 11-12 FE in the city and close to 18 on the highway.
Am surprised you find the noise insulation bad. I find it much better than my i20 which was anyways a quite car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZinFluent View Post
I upgraded bulbs to Philips Xtreme Vision H4 but the improvement is nowhere close to the claimed 130%!

Since you have upgraded to Philips LEDs, how would rate them in terms of intensity, throw as well as spread? If you could also share the model name/number of the bulbs along with DRLs, that would be most helpful.
Thanks in advance.
I had Philips Xtreme vision on before I switched to Leds. The intensity is good and a bit better than the Xtreme vision but not a huge difference to be honest. The accessory guy said that HIDs would be the best way to go although it involved a lot of alterations to the wiring. Hence I chickened out.
I’ll check the model number and pm you. It’s been 2 years since I upgraded so can’t recollect. The Drls are of Osaram and will get you the model number of that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsumoto View Post
Good thread. How come nobody is interested in knowing who was the famous cricketer that owned and worshipped this beauty?
The car belonged to Ajit Agarkar the ex Indian Cricketer
Hamza123 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 11:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations and great buy. Enough cannot be said about the 1.5 iVTEC, one of the best petrol engines ever to grace Indian shores in the last several decades. Every time I take my City out, the lovely and versatile motor just brings a wide smile to my face.

The best part is the dual character of this car - a quiet and refined, comfortable wafter when you are in the mood for a calming drive, and an absolute hooligan when you are in the mood to rev the engine beyond 3000 RPM.

One of the best mixes of practicality and performance available today, which is relatively easy on the pocket as well. Enjoy your ride for many thousands of kilometers to come.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 29th April 2020 at 11:05.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 19:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much. Won’t that give an error on the speedo? Anyways am usually alone or with my wife so scraping is not really an issue as such but will keep in mind the next time I need to change. Any pictures of your ride ?
Apologies. Mine are 195/60. Same as yours.

Last edited by evil_grin : 29th April 2020 at 20:18.
Old 29th April 2020, 20:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
After doing some research for about a month or so after getting the car I finally decided on a bunch of accessories I wanted. Nothing too flashy or loud just some subtle ones.
Hi Hamza123,
Congratulations on your Silver Steed! It is one of the most reliable cars in India and the condition of your vehicle seems to be immaculate. The accessories have definitely added to the 'wow' factor and I am sure it will be your humble companion for years to come . I was keen to know the source of those nice looking door sills. If you could share the link/ contact details for the same I will try sourcing them. My close friend - a loyal Honda fan, who also has a similar version of the City has been searching them for quite sometime. He has been unable to find the OEM ones.

Regards,
Anurag

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th April 2020 at 20:06. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Please avoid quoting a large post as it inconveniences small screen users. Thanks.
Old 30th April 2020, 17:28   #23
BHPian

Congratulations on your acquisition. Having owned a couple in the past and as current owner of 3 of these, I can assure you that the car is indeed a gem of an engine and will last you many many years. The petrol engine is pure joy gunning down an open highway.

2 of my beauties below.

My Silver Arrow! Pre-Owned Honda City-1111.jpg

My Silver Arrow! Pre-Owned Honda City-1112.jpg

A word of advice: Honda city is prone to rusting at the cowl panel, it eventually lets water into the car if not caught early. You may want to have the cowl panel cleaned. Or if you are the DIY kinds then refer here (DIY: City cowl panel cleaning & the subterfuge of Honda service centers).

Quote:
What I Don't like
Fuel filler cap is not lockable.
A quick note as others have pointed out as well. The fuel filler cap is linked to the central locking. As long as the car is locked, so is the fuel cap. If it doesn't work that way, it should be fixed by a competent mechanic.
varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 20:16   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

This has been my experience as well. Sale to a direct buyer always offers a higher value and olx is a very good option to connect directly with Individual Buyers.

For the low Ground Clearance you can try out the RogerAbs
Thank you for the kind words. Although I did sell my car to a dealer only but what worked in my favour was that he had a ready customer for it there and then. He got us in touch directly and charged a commission from us as well as the buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post

The best part is the dual character of this car - a quiet and refined, comfortable wafter when you are in the mood for a calming drive, and an absolute hooligan when you are in the mood to rev the engine beyond 3000 RPM.
I agree although I do find the bottom end a little weak. The paddle shifts solve the problem to a great extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post
Apologies. Mine are 195/60. Same as yours.
thanks for the clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragbagur View Post
The accessories have definitely added to the 'wow' factor and I am sure it will be your humble companion for years to come . I was keen to know the source of those nice looking door sills. If you could share the link/ contact details for the same I will try sourcing them.
Thanks for the kind words. Once the lockdown is over I’ll check with the accessories shop I bought them from. If he does have them will let you know and will courier you a set. I plan to buy another one for myself and keep as well.
Old 3rd May 2020, 14:30   #25
BHPian

Thanks for the sharing your ownership review Hamza123. Makes me feel happy about mine too. I recently purchased a pre-owned 2012 Honda City V AT. Details of which are in this post on another excellent City ownership thread : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4741975 (Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen))

The barrage of ownership reviews makes me want to pen my own. It's a fantastic machine. If I only I could drive her right now!

Anyway, I noticed a difference in the panel around your ICE system between the one which came with your car (looks similar to mine, but different graphics), and the one after your upgrade.

Quote:

The beat-up entertainment system installed as the previous owner had removed the one he had
Attachment 1996735
Quote:
The ICE upgrade

The splash screen which comes on when you start the car. This can be customised to any picture

Attachment 1997946
The buttons for A/C and demister moved from the side to the bottom of the screen. Does that mean you got a new panel when you fit in the new unit? I am planning to get a new system myself as the one in my car has dead spots on the screen. It will surely conk off someday. But I didn't know that it would require replacing the panels around it too. How easy or hard was it source that? Got it online or from Honda?

And I agree to this. I do that everytime
Quote:
Pre-owned or new it’s special when you turn around and look every time you park it
Attachment 1997986
My city says hi!
Attached Thumbnails
My Silver Arrow! Pre-Owned Honda City-img_6914.jpg  

Old 3rd May 2020, 20:42   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saur95 View Post
Congratulations and wish you many happy kilometres!

Did you get the bumper replaced or was just the camera hole filled? Anyway, I'm glad you went out of your way to make it look stock!

You'll also notice that the Alabaster Silver colour you own is really easy to maintain. Swirl marks are not easily visible so you could get it detailed less often if you wash carefully.
Sorry I missed replying to you initially.
The Bumper has been filled up and had been done really well and lasted so far.Yes I totally hated the camera in the bumper. Also once the car would be a bit dirty the bumper would be more or less useless.
Yes the colour is far easier to maintain. My dad has a copper sx4 and my brother a grey VW polo and they always complain how their cars never look clean even if they have just been washed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
Congratulations on your acquisition. Having owned a couple in the past and as current owner of 3 of these, I can assure you that the car is indeed a gem of an engine and will last you many many years. The petrol engine is pure joy gunning down an open highway.

A word of advice: Honda city is prone to rusting at the cowl panel, it eventually lets water into the car if not caught early. You may want to have the cowl panel cleaned. Or if you are the DIY kinds then refer here (DIY: City cowl panel cleaning & the subterfuge of Honda service centers).
Wow you own three of them together?! You must be a big Honda Fan then and Honda India should honour you in someway
Thanks for the tip on the cowl rust. Will have it checked during the next servicing which is due before the rains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratik1992 View Post
Thanks for the sharing your ownership review Hamza123. Makes me feel happy about mine too. I recently purchased a pre-owned 2012 Honda City V AT.

Anyway, I noticed a difference in the panel around your ICE system between the one which came with your car (looks similar to mine, but different graphics), and the one after your upgrade.

The buttons for A/C and demister moved from the side to the bottom of the screen. Does that mean you got a new panel when you fit in the new unit? I am planning to get a new system myself as the one in my car has dead spots on the screen. It will surely conk off someday. But I didn't know that it would require replacing the panels around it too. How easy or hard was it source that? Got it online or from Honda?
Hi thank you and nice to meet a fellow city owner. Or rather should I say a fellow owner of the best looking version of the car so far
I have changed the entire center console which includes the entire frame from the ac buttons till the blowers on top. The head unit is wider than the original one that comes with the car hence the buttons move to the bottom to accommodate the screen.
Ensure you get only the original Honda frame as the other ones are prone to rattle. You should get that frame at Honda or any other accessory shop.
By the way I love that spoiler. Any leads where your previous owner got it installed from?Also does it rattle? I know the spoiler in the ciaz which is from the company itself rattles like crazy hence dropped the plan on fitting one for myself.
Hamza123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 23:27   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Hi thank you and nice to meet a fellow city owner. Or rather should I say a fellow owner of the best looking version of the car so far
I have changed the entire center console which includes the entire frame from the ac buttons till the blowers on top. The head unit is wider than the original one that comes with the car hence the buttons move to the bottom to accommodate the screen.
Ensure you get only the original Honda frame as the other ones are prone to rattle. You should get that frame at Honda or any other accessory shop.
By the way I love that spoiler. Any leads where your previous owner got it installed from?Also does it rattle? I know the spoiler in the ciaz which is from the company itself rattles like crazy hence dropped the plan on fitting one for myself.
Thanks for the info. Will get in touch with Honda in case I wish to switch out the panel. Have to take it to them anyway due to an issue with the left headlamp.

As for your query, I really don't know from where one of the previous owners got it. But going by the tons of City threads that I read prior to purchasing the car, it seems that this was an accessory offered by Honda/Dealer. I definitely saw it somewhere on the forum. So my assumption is that it was fitted when the car was bought new in March 2012. It looks and feels like a factory fit and not ricer-like in any way . No holes drilled into the boot that I could notice. Also, in the 3.5 months that I've owned and driven it, I've not heard it rattle once. The only bad bit is that the wiring for it, hasn't been concealed all that well, inside the boot.

Here's a crop of a picture that I could find, which shows it better.
My Silver Arrow! Pre-Owned Honda City-img_6407.jpg

Last edited by pratik1992 : 3rd May 2020 at 23:29. Reason: Typo
Old 4th May 2020, 02:48   #28
BHPian

Welcome to the City club. Here’s my 2010 City below in the pics. I have an interesting accessory that I have put. I have installed a front camera which is displayed on the pioneer touch screen music system and a rear camera which gets displayed on the rear view mirror. It’s been a real pleasure owning the City and is a real pleasure to drive. Only downside to the great ownership experience is that it’s a rust bucket. I suggest getting your antitrust measures in place.
Attached Thumbnails
My Silver Arrow! Pre-Owned Honda City-663a1c8adcdd49139e36eeaa7ad49ed1.jpeg  

My Silver Arrow! Pre-Owned Honda City-66e69199084b48f8b1c47f6240b446b1.jpeg  

My Silver Arrow! Pre-Owned Honda City-8c0ee33ed6814571b4295b524e0e3cee.jpeg  

My Silver Arrow! Pre-Owned Honda City-6a91cf79fa7f4a988fffb7353356e205.jpeg  

raycers_honda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 14:49   #29
BHPian

Finally after gathering dust in the garage for 2 months and taking endless rounds in my garage and using it for getting grocery only, I took the courage to take it to the nearest washing center and have it cleant inside out.
I have never had a vehicle this dirty. After I got it back I spent sometime myself cleaning the interiors and spraying a bit of air freshener and polishing the dashboard etc.
It’s also due for its annual service in June but don’t know if that’s possible now.
My Silver Arrow! Pre-Owned Honda City-7399c8be0535462e9219e598dbdc8306.jpeg

My Silver Arrow! Pre-Owned Honda City-9c8a0a59c49e40bdb309040fcec56ed3.jpeg

Few observations
The car starts with half a crank even though the battery is almost 5 years old
Needs a touch up on the rare bumper. It scraped against a stone on one of the grocery trips :(
The fuel filler cap locks along with the car
After my phone updated to iOS 13 some of the contacts don’t show on my head unit. Only the numbers show. It includes my wife’s number as well!! Need to figure out why.

Can’t wait to get out on the open road again.

Last edited by Hamza123 : 19th May 2020 at 14:50.
Hamza123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 15:11   #30
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the getting the car home.

I am scouting for used cars for my brother.

Can you tell:

- Beginning and end year of production for this 3rd-gen model of the Honda city? (arrow shot is what they called the design)

- Did this gen come with passenger airbag?

- City use mileage of the AT?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks