Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2020, 17:00   #16
BHPian

Re: My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Amazingly detailed review, many thanks for sharing . This will be very helpful to potential GLC owners. Your car will be going to our homepage today!
Thank you so much GTO! That was truly my intent, to help out others who can consider the GLC as a their future car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Congratulations Sarang!
That is one comprehensive review
Considering your usage and primary users being your parents, you chose the right option. I can understand the need for a 250d state of tune but that is something a remap should easily solve post warranty. Happy mile munching!
Thanks a lot Asit! I have been researching remaps for the GLC. For some reason, there are very less forums on Mercedes cars in general. There is so much written worldwide about BMW and VAG group cars that I was spoilt for choice with those brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Many Congratulations nitrogary for adding another beauty to your enviable garage.

The GLC is a beautiful car. Me and bhpian 599gto had once taken a GLC 220d for a spin some time in 2018, before I relocated to NCR from Pune.
The paintshade, Selenite Grey, looks amazing on the GLC though. Infact it is quite surprising that this paintshade is not as popular as the white or silver or blue. Glad you chose yours in Selenite Grey, looks handsome and sporty both at the same time !

Thank You for sharing such an in-depth review about the car
Thank you so much Arunabh! Your's and 599GTO's inputs have been immense in helping me out with the decision making as well as getting me connected with the right folks in the dealerships, etc. You perspectives on different brands were also very helpful. I had loved the Silver also, but it comes default with black interiors which we wanted to avoid.

Front
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-black-interiors-front.jpg

And rear
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-black-interiors-rear.jpg

Please note that the car in this picture is the Sport, but edition 1 variant and you can tell the differences in the interiors which I have mentioned earlier. This model had 3 zone AC but 18 inch alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio2107 View Post
Beautifully written. The GLC is one very comfortable car to ride in!
This is the first time I have seen selenite grey. Just one question - was it a paid option?
Thank you Scorpio! It is not a paid extra option. The difference may not be too much in case it's extra ~ 15k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harikr View Post
Nice review Sarang. Really detailed with some nice pictures. Still remember your zen and figo from Nashik days. Nice step up to one of the finest machines on road. Hope to see few travelogues also with the beast.
Hari
Hi Hari, so nice to hear from you. Indeed those were golden days! We lived carefree and enjoyed every day of our training as well as formative years as a professional.
I will indeed update with my travelogues.

That Figo is now with bhpian Asit.Kulkarni93. Read all about his ownership of the car here >
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...1-4l-tdci.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny_ST3 View Post
Just awesome. Very detailed but no unnecessary things.

First line "100 years of work experience" is setting tone the blog.
Thanks Sunny! As a homage to the 100 years experience, I really wanted the brand which had been around the longest. Thankfully it worked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceHorse View Post
Excellent review, thanks for the detailed pictures, this made me shift my focus from Kodiaq . We will definitely consider this before finalizing. Good to know that spare wheel doesn't eat into boot space much.

Please post the pictures of rear seat also.
I will indeed post those photos soon enough with a few additional details which are pending. Feel free to get in touch if you'd like any more comments or help with the purchase decision.
Yes, the spare wheel is not that bad an issue. Many of my friends have taken it out of the car and kept it in their homes. They just drive with the risk of a puncture, hoping to find a repair shop soon enough. In all honesty, I don't blame them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareshjethwani View Post
As good as an official review ! Nice choice of colour, wish you happy miles. Please do put up a travelogue for the Goa trip with lot of pics
I'd rather do another trip for this travelogue Hopefully the lockdown ends soon and we can all travel freely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickshift99 View Post
what a beautiful review of the GLC, The Allows were the first thing i noticed in the pics, they look awesome. This shade of grey is indeed very uncommon. I hope you have a great time with your GLC, Congratulations.
Thank you Stickshift. I am yet to see a Selenite Grey GLC on the road. They are indeed very few of them.

It also matches with the colors of my BMW R1200GS - white and grey.

Last edited by nitrogary : 29th April 2020 at 17:22. Reason: Added a few more details and link.
nitrogary is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 17:25   #17
BHPian

Great review!!
Many congratulations on your wonderful ride, awesome colour choice too!
Wish you many many miles munching with the GLC.

Happy motoring !!
Ranjith812 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 18:16   #18
BHPian

Wow! Just wow!
What a write-up buddy! Your attention to detail is astonishing.
You were really wanting a Three pointed Star in your garage. When we went for the Q5 test drive together, I knew that you would buy a Mercedes. Many congratulations for your acquisition. Now your garage feels complete... Now only a high capacity moto scooter is the one missing .

Our long ride in your GLC is pending by the way..
Let's hope that this epidemic ends soon and we are back on the road..
Cheers

AB
Old 29th April 2020, 18:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi there, Nitrogary!

You have got yourself a sweet ride there! Great choice with the color too, quite different from the Cavansite Blue & Pearl White cars we see in Pune.

Just wanted to know a few things:-
1) Didn't Mercedes introduce a 2.0Litre Diesel for the GLC?
2) The COMAND system also seems to belong to the older gen systems. Why is it so?
Old 29th April 2020, 18:53   #20
BHPian

Congratulations on your car. That's a really good review with great attention to detail. I've always been a fan of the interiors of the GLC except for a couple of small things.
I always hated that screen, bezel to screen ratio on that thing is really disappointing, they couldn't given a wider screen with better graphics at this price point.
I wish they'd put a non polished wood on the center console for two reasons, one being that it is a fingerprint magnet and secondly the part looks less expensive than it actually is. Lastly, I can't believe they still haven't made it easier for you to change the track on the steering with a single click. You have to move to a separate menu (which is annoying) and then you have to again change the menu to get back to the trip computer, you'd rather just press the next track button on the console or use the swivel wheel. I'm just nit-picking with those.

The sound on those speakers must be really good. Any idea about it's wattage?

Like the warranty, will the service pack also get more expensive with time?
BMvW.Rajat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 19:30   #21
BHPian

What an elegant car!

When I saw your GLC in November, first thing I realised that, it exudes luxury like no other car. It’s not a loose statement since parking lot of JW Marriott had Audi, BMW, Jaguar and Land Rover parked side by side. Only a Volvo was missing.

My favourite image has been 100 kmph@1300 rpm in 9th gear, insane!

Torque vs rpm, power vs rpm and the acceleration diagram are nicely depicted and are very informative. 5th gear ratio seems to be spaced farther from the 4th gear ratio in otherwise closely spaced, brilliant gear box.
swapnil.awate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 20:18   #22
BHPian

Nice and detailed review! I've always liked the GLC's of the Mercedes and the X's of BMW for their practicality and opulence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
We are an automotive enthusiast family. Together, three of us (mom, dad and myself) have around 100 years of work experience in the automotive industry
That was a nice start!

Quote:
It almost looks like an estate and feels like one
+1. Length of the vehicle aside, estates are very comfortable family cars (rooms on wheels, should I say!). Sad that they're not taken so well in India, our traffic to blame.
Mr.Bentley is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 20:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Hi there, Nitrogary!

You have got yourself a sweet ride there! Great choice with the color too, quite different from the Cavansite Blue & Pearl White cars we see in Pune.

2) The COMAND system also seems to belong to the older gen systems. Why is it so?
The car is a pre-facelift one, so it has the 2.1 litre diesel and COMAND instead of MBUX. A new one would be roughly 50% more OTR.
Old 29th April 2020, 23:42   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjith812 View Post
Great review!!
Many congratulations on your wonderful ride, awesome colour choice too!
Wish you many many miles munching with the GLC.
Happy motoring !!
Thank you so much Ranjith!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
Wow! Just wow!
What a write-up buddy! Your attention to detail is astonishing.
When we went for the Q5 test drive together, I knew that you would buy a Mercedes.
Now only a high capacity moto scooter is the one missing .
Our long ride in your GLC is pending by the way..
Cheers

AB
Thanks for all your help AB! That Q5 test drive was special. Maybe we should do it again
That drive is indeed pending. First thing when the lockdown ends!

I would love a 650 Burgman please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMvW.Rajat View Post
Congratulations on your car. That's a really good review with great attention to detail.

Bezel to screen ratio on that thing is really disappointing..

I wish they'd put a non polished wood on the center console for two reasons, one being that it is a fingerprint magnet and secondly the part looks less expensive than it actually is.
Lastly, I can't believe they still haven't made it easier for you to change the track on the steering with a single click.

The sound on those speakers must be really good. Any idea about it's wattage?

Like the warranty, will the service pack also get more expensive with time?
Thank you for the kind words. I agree on your bezel comment. It would have been cooler with a wider screen and thin edges. I agree that the gloss center console gets dirty. The Progressive variant has an open pore wood finish which is matte and is lovely. The black interior car photo I posted was for reference.
I never realized about changing the track would be so much effort. Will check that. Maybe that button is there somewhere else.

The music system is 950 watts with 9 channel DSP amplifiers (I know this is on the higher side) but honestly I don't understand much about music systems. It sounds beautiful. Any recommendations on what to hear and from where?

I do not expect the service costs to go up like the warranty costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnil.awate View Post
What an elegant car!

When I saw your GLC in November, first thing I realised that, it exudes luxury like no other car. It’s not a loose statement since parking lot of JW Marriott had Audi, BMW, Jaguar and Land Rover parked side by side. Only a Volvo was missing.

My favourite image has been 100 kmph@1300 rpm in 9th gear, insane!

Torque vs rpm, power vs rpm and the acceleration diagram are nicely depicted and are very informative. 5th gear ratio seems to be spaced farther from the 4th gear ratio in otherwise closely spaced, brilliant gear box.
Neels, the comparison with other cars is true. The competitor cars interiors are not as rich. I knew you would like the 9th gear 100 kmph pic

Very sharp observation on the 5th gear spacing. It may be forced by some design manufacturing limitations like maybe they had a set of 5th gear wheels available from another gearbox or to get the perfect ratio, the number of teeth may not have been an integer number, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bentley View Post
Nice and detailed review! I've always liked the GLC's of the Mercedes and the X's of BMW for their practicality and opulence.
That was a nice start!
+1. Length of the vehicle aside, estates are very comfortable family cars (rooms on wheels, should I say!). Sad that they're not taken so well in India, our traffic to blame.
Thank you Mr.Bentley. The X3 was my choice until I sat and test drove the GLC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Hi there, Nitrogary!

Thanks Akash_v12

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The car is a pre-facelift one, so it has the 2.1 litre diesel and COMAND instead of MBUX. A new one would be roughly 50% more OTR.
Hi Avira_tk

Not quite. Mercedes have kept the price of new GLC 2020 model the same as the old one. The 2019 car was sold at good discounts in 2019 for around 60 +/- 2 lacs. They are both around 57 lacs ex showroom. There are some features which are missing and few which are added - just like the MBUX.

You can find the thread and my post about it here >
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4759392

In my opinion, the 2019 car was better spec'd than the 2020. I would love to have some more discussion on the topic from 2020 GLC owners.

Last edited by nitrogary : 29th April 2020 at 23:48.
nitrogary is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 12:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi nitrogary

So my ownership experience with our 2017 Mercedes GLC 220d Sport has been so-so.

It has never given us any technical issues but I have never enjoyed the drive really. I can't say I blame the car, but after driving sedans like the Jetta and the Superb, the experience of an SUV is far from that of these sedans especially in the handling department.

Even from the power point of view this is my personal opinion:
- Eco & Comfort Drive of the GLC is just boring
- Sport Mode = Normal 'Drive' mode of the Jetta / Superb
- Sport + Mode = 'Sport' mode of the Jetta / Superb
- Individual Mode is something I have not tried yet

The lack of space for the spare tyre has always been a headache especially during travel. We have managed to store it under the boot floor but then the boot floor doesn't sit flush and tends to rattle is no luggage is kept on it.

The biggest disappointment is the lack of an electronic boot opener. Neither is there a provision inside the car (usually located on the driver's door) nor is there a provision on the key fob. Hell, our 25 lakh Jetta has the electronic boot release button and our 40 lakh rupee Skoda Superb has the virtual pedal.

Overall, I have found the car to be just ok. Not really worth the money. We sometimes feel we should have chosen the Skoda Kodiaq over the GLC.
Epic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 16:17   #26
BHPian

Congratulations Nitrogary for having acquired this fantastic SUV!

I love the low-slung estate-ish hunkered-down look that the GLC has, which makes it unique when compared to it's competitors. While it provides the relaxed driving pleasure of an SUV, it also looks super classy and elegant, unlike typical SUVs that have the classic boxy look.

The colour is just magnificent! I can't stop admiring it enough in the pictures, which are of excellent quality by themselves. It also happens to be convenient that the colour of the GLC complements the colour of your R1200 GS, which is after all, the most coveted SUV of the two-wheeled world.

The interiors look like they have been designed by passionate souls at MB and it's particularly noticeable in the design of the window blinds. They cover all parts of the glass area perfectly and do not look out of place unlike those on some rivals. Also, the level of detail and quality of the 360 degree camera is spectacular.

You have spent a lot of effort and energy into getting this review to have content/depth which made it a superb read. Wishing you endless happy adventures and journeys with this beast.

Last edited by GoBlue : 30th April 2020 at 16:18.
GoBlue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 19:53   #27
BHPian

Attachment 1999392

Hearty Congratulations, Sarang! Indeed it is a wise choice for Indian conditions.

Being associated with Indian Automotive Industry so close, who is better than Rashmi Madam to choose the right product! Congratulations to madam as well.

Happy Miles...

Regards,
Sujith
Old 30th April 2020, 23:23   #28
BHPian

I have not driven the GLC but from your list I have driven Kodiaq & 3GT and loved them to the extend that I had almost bought the 3GT "330i". It in particular was my second choice after Octavia vRS for day to day drive but my greed for the vRS got the better of me and my booking for the 330i was lost and I could not get a vRS in the end so had to settle for a 1.8 TSI.
Old 1st May 2020, 15:54   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi nitrogary
So my ownership experience with our 2017 Mercedes GLC 220d Sport has been so-so.
We have managed to store it under the boot floor
The biggest disappointment is the lack of an electronic boot opener.
...chosen the Skoda Kodiaq over the GLC.
Thanks for the very nice inputs. I am honestly surprised with you not enjoying it! We have very similar cars - GLC, Superb, Octavia and Ameo but from different years.
I feel maybe if we had bought it new, without any discounts I may have felt a bit unhappy. Was that the case? My 2011 Superb is simply outstanding value for money though and the car is magnificent to drive.

For drivability, I went by Carwow's reviews

and

Watch from 7:35 about the drive. I feel exactly the same. There is no drama and no fuss, just comfortable drive for hours and hours. If I was looking for a car for myself, maybe the GLC may not be my number 1 choice for that segment. I would get a pre owned GLA 45 / GLC 43 AMG or an X5.

I know, keeping the spare wheel below the boot won't be a good idea. I tried that but the boot floor doesn't close. Maybe getting a custom boot floor done could be a good idea?

Truly surprised about the Kodiaq decision. I wanted to get a non-VAG car but the Kodiaq interiors are not comparable. They are a lot more spacious though. I also didn't enjoy driving it so much. Maybe I need to drive a different car just to re-validate my impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Congratulations Nitrogary for having acquired this fantastic SUV!

I love the low-slung estate-ish hunkered-down look that the GLC has.
The colour is just magnificent! I can't stop admiring it enough in the pictures, which are of excellent quality by themselves. It also happens to be convenient that the colour of the GLC complements the colour of your R1200 GS, which is after all, the most coveted SUV of the two-wheeled world.
Wishing you endless happy adventures and journeys with this beast.
Thanks Abhishek! Can't thank you enough for your help with going thru the draft of the review.
I am flattered by the comment about the photos. All pics have been taken with my cell phone - Poco F1 with some resizing and basic cropping / enhancing to meet the 5 mb size criteria.
Indeed I love how the GS and GLC colors are complimentary - grey and white with elements of sliver and chrome.
Maybe because of the GS, I wasn't looking for an outright performance centric vehicle. I get my thrills on the GS which does 0 to 100 in 3 seconds which is supercar territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujithpnair View Post
Hearty Congratulations, Sarang! Indeed it is a wise choice for Indian conditions.
Being associated with Indian Automotive Industry...

Regards,
Sujith
Dear Sujith - thank you so much! I conveyed your wishes to her also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
I have not driven the GLC..
in the end so had to settle for a 1.8 TSI.
Congratulations for getting the 1.8TSI. I am in love with that engine and its capabilities. My superb will turn 10 years old next year, but the engine is just so nice that you can't tell its age.
Please test drive the GLC and let me know if you like it!
nitrogary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 18:18   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the very nice inputs. I am honestly surprised with you not enjoying it! We have very similar cars - GLC, Superb, Octavia and Ameo but from different years.
I feel maybe if we had bought it new, without any discounts I may have felt a bit unhappy. Was that the case?
Honestly, we were surprised as well. But that's just the way it is. It has got nothing to do with the discounts. As a matter of fact we got almost a 10 lakh discount. Maybe I just don't like the drive of an SUV as compared to the sedans. I don't know. No boot release button and Navigation in a 60+ lakh car? Don't give me a discount but give me these basic features that are available in cars at less than half the cost.

My father-in-law mostly drives the GLC and he had owned the Skoda Rapid and the Skoda Yeti and then the GLC. No comparison but he still talks about the Yeti and still at times wished he bought the Kodiaq. We chose the Mercedes hoping it would be an upgrade to the Skodas that my father-in-law had been driving in the past. It is an upgrade in interiors, status, etc but definitely not the drive.

My Uncle mostly drives the 2016 Superb; he had upgraded from the 2011 Superb and he is also not impressed by the GLC. Also, the 2011 Superb was waaay better than our current 2016 Superb in drivability.

Quote:
My 2011 Superb is simply outstanding value for money though and the car is magnificent to drive.
I totally agree to this and hence my Uncle and myself love the Jetta as it has a similar feel.

My father-in-law is suggesting I sell the Jetta and take the Superb so that we can look at a 5 Series or A6, but I suggested him to sell the Superb instead

Quote:
For drivability, I went by Carwow's reviews

and

Watch from 7:35 about the drive. I feel exactly the same. There is no drama and no fuss, just comfortable drive for hours and hours. If I was looking for a car for myself, maybe the GLC may not be my number 1 choice for that segment. I would get a pre owned GLA 45 / GLC 43 AMG or an X5.
I don't go by International reviews as the cars, roads and other conditions as well are different as compared to that available in India. Unfortunately, there is only so much you can test drive before purchasing a car.

Quote:
I know, keeping the spare wheel below the boot won't be a good idea. I tried that but the boot floor doesn't close. Maybe getting a custom boot floor done could be a good idea?
I think Mercedes should be thinking about that rather than me

Quote:
Truly surprised about the Kodiaq decision. I wanted to get a non-VAG car but the Kodiaq interiors are not comparable. They are a lot more spacious though. I also didn't enjoy driving it so much. Maybe I need to drive a different car just to re-validate my impressions.
Yes no comparison to the interiors of a Merc to a Skoda. But the Superb for example, offers you so much more space than E Class, 5 Series or A6.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks