Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2020, 10:01   #46
BHPian

Re: My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
Thanks for the encouraging words 4WheelPilot.
Yes the car is enjoyable to drive in almost all road conditions but it does best on smooth tarmac. It is comfort focused and spirited driving can be slightly discomforting for the passengers. I mean it does all that you ask effortlessly but why try so much in a Merc?
Please share more details of the GLC you drove and if possible share pics for us to enjoy!

Attaching few pictures of GLC FL here which were taken during relaxed lockdown jaunts
Attached Thumbnails
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-faa057b08f9046889d12e156a8520117.jpeg  

My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-3a8dd3081c504c848b6ff4128ce656a9.jpeg  

My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-341a665177f34ce2b6d4801da4f44ec5.jpeg  

4WheelPilot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 12:06   #47
BHPian

The GLC looks gorgeous in white! Beautiful car. That registration number is cool, looks photoshopped without having to photoshop

Yesterday I met my good friend from college years. He recently got a W205. It's a beautiful car and I drove it for a short distance and he drove the GLC.
On the inside, you are instantly comfortable because everything is familiar.

Here's both the cars parked when we enjoyed a lovely Sunday morning breakfast.

My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-w205-x253-1.jpg

My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-w205-x253-2.jpg

The GLC also had a puncture which needed to be fixed. I took this chance to look at the brake pads. I could not locate the brake pad on the inside. Could it be that there is only one pad outside?

My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-left-rear-brake-setup.jpg

My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-rear-brake-caliper-pads-view.jpg

We went for a drive and stopped for a coffee at Shell fuel station and we talking about how gorgeous the S63 coupe is and literally 5 minutes later, the car showed up! I am not kidding. It was an unreal coincidence. It sounds glorious. The V8 bi-turbo is mesmerising. Enjoy!

My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-s63-amg-1.jpg

My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-s63-amg-2.jpg
nitrogary is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 23:49   #48
BHPian

The AMG S 63 looks as if it is draped in Satin! Amazing colour for a rocking car!
The C Class is slightly faster than the GLC, nonetheless, both are amazing cars to drive.
Our's also had a puncture last week(not a flat tyre technically ) and it was painful to see that in the 19 inch wheels but then realized that you can't do much to prevent that from happening..
4WheelPilot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 12:10   #49
BHPian

B2 service updated - Silver Star Mercedes Service center review

07 Nov 2020. B2 service update (2 year / 30,000 km)
Odo - 20,500 km.

As mentioned earlier, the car was due for service in November. This is generally the bigger service, B2.
Mercedes service are A & B, the number followed by it is the number of years ownership. There seems to be surprisingly little information about service contents on the internet for this car. So I am taking some effort to write about this in detail.

I had two options in Pune - B U Bhandari and Silver Star (Trinity motors, under a new ownership). I had heard good things about Silver Star but BU B is very close to where I stay. However, they were slow in response for getting stuff done and I just wanted to try a new workshop for the experience.
Both the service centres gave comparable quotes - however Silver Star gave a higher initial number. Upon informing that it feels higher, it was revised (both were in the range of 66-68k including all taxes)

This service includes the following
1. Oil, oil filter
2. Engine air filter
3. AC filters (there are two AC filters - dust filter and fine particle filter)
4. Brake fluid
5. Fuel filter
6. Windshield washer fluid

I was not very keen to replace the fuel filter. Given that the replace recommendation is 30k km and my vehicle having done 20k only, it made sense to retain it. Also, manufacturer recommendations are conservative. I know because I have worked on heavy duty engine fuel systems right from design to production. Other positive contributor is that I have been filling at mostly well-known fuel stations and the likelihood of poor quality fuel at those fuel stations is relatively low.
The service advisor from BU Bhandari never called me back. But was able to have a meaningful discussion with the Silver Star service advisor and he was OK with this. This was one of the main reason for me to go them - even if it meant spending the whole day there driving 25+ kms one way in horrible Wagholi and Nagar road traffic.
Other reason was they were OK with me hanging out near the car and take some photos. I hope posting them here will not cause a future issues for them.

I was extremely impressed with the setup, professionalism, courtesy and friendliness. I really hope they do well in future and keep focus on customer centric behavior.

My appointment was scheduled at 930, but I got late and reached at 1030. Hence, work began by about 1045.

Arrival area
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-arrival-1.jpg

My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-arrival-2.jpg

I love how they cover all the controls and seats with a plastic protective sheet.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-seat-steering-covers.jpg

Car is taken into service bay. There are about 20-30 such service bays and those many cars can be worked on individually.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-start-work.jpg

With the plastic engine cover removed. The actual engine is really tightly packaged. You can tell how much they must have toiled in putting everything together. I cannot imagine the BS VI machines. They will be further compact.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-engine-top-without-cover.jpg

1. We start with battery health check. All OK here. 12.4V.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-battery-health-check.jpg

2. Coolant check. All OK. It was full. We tried to check the density with a Hydrometer, but the device wasn't working for some reason. It looked fine and I didn't feel the need to check the specific gravity etc. If it ain't broke, I ain't fixing it.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-coolant-check.jpg

Windshield water topped up. I have kept the shampoo with me. I feel the water gets too soapy and leaves an annoying residue on the car.
Will top it up after 3-4k kms.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-windshield-washer-fluid-top-up.jpg

3. Air filters (engine air filter, AC filters)

3.1 Engine air intake filter was especially dirty. There were all sorts of dead insects, dirt, etc. I am glad this was changed.

Filter removal is relatively easy. Those small screws hold the intake plumbing in place. There's some kind of ECM mounted on it. It seems a weak point. If the threads get stripped etc. this will be a pain to change / fix.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-engine-air-filter-removal.jpg

My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-dirty-air-filter.jpg

3.2 Dust filter - clearly dirty, but I have seen worse. No point in retaining it.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-dirty-dust-filter.jpg

3.3 Fine particle filter - same as above.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-dirty-fine-particle-filter.jpg

New part numbers
Dust filter
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-dust-filter.jpg

Fine particle filter
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-fine-particle-filter.jpg

I seem to have missed taking pic of the 3rd filter box.

4. Oil change
Mercedes is using Sinopec oil which is MB branded. I am guessing it is 15W40 or 20W50, CK4 fully synthetic. Maybe someone can confirm?
Oil was drained the "traditional way" by removing the drain plug. I guess there is a machine which does this too. My understanding is it a more efficient way of doing it. The sump guard had to be removed - its a sturdy part and is made of metal - I won't be surprised if its called panzerplatte (nod to wrc fans)

The filter body is very nicely accessible and this work can be done at home for sure. You need the tool to hold the oil filter. Torque is 25 Nm.

My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-oil-filter-torquing.jpg

Oil filter. I find it interesting that you don't change the whole body. It's only the oil filter element that gets replaced along with those 3 little O rings.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-old-oil-filter.jpg

Care must be taken when these o rings are installed. Start with the biggest one first. Remember where it fits before removing the old one if you are into DIY.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-oil-filter-o-rings.jpg

New filter element installed.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-new-oil-filter-element-installed.jpg

Oil being poured. Be mindful about the quantity to be added. It must be filled up to max amount - 6.5 litres in this case. There seems to be a misunderstanding that anything between Min-Max is OK, especially mid way. I'd want to ensure it is filled to the high mark. It could be the difference in a good engine and a great engine.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-oil-being-poured.jpg

Oil filter part:
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-oil-filter-element-box.jpg

5. Underbody check

Wheels were removed before lifting the car up.

Car is lifted on the hoist.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-car-lifted-hoist.jpg

Front differential - looks clean.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-front-differential.jpg

Front brake caliper - looks good.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-front-right-brake-caliper-view.jpg

It was 1:15 by this time. I had seen a Domino's pizza about 200 meters away while coming in and had decided in the morning that I am having margherita pizza. Had a nice time in their waiting lounge which is a small room, but comfortable one where you can see your car being worked on.

My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-lunch-break.jpg

After lunch progress continued in part 2.

Last edited by nitrogary : 9th November 2020 at 12:14. Reason: typo correction
nitrogary is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 12:51   #50
BHPian

B2 service update part 2

Post 2 - continued from above.

6. Underbody inspection

The car has a rubber mount where the jack / hoisting pad fits. Quite neat.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-jack-mount.jpg

Everything looked OK. There is one scratch, which was no issue.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-underbody.jpg

Front suspension views. I had not seen these in so much detail, hence the pics.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-front-suspension-view-1.jpg

View 2
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-front-suspension-view-2.jpg

7. Headlight alignment

I have never seen this kind of apparatus, so it is intriguing.
The apparatus allows light to come in from that magnifying lens thing side and focuses it on a surface. The small red box on the top has a viewing slit to ensure the apparatus is parallel. It needs to be horizontal and we use 2 reference points on the engine bay for this. There is a spirit level gage inside also as a double check.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-headlight-alignment-1.jpg

At the rear, there is a dial to set which vehicle you are doing this for. The numbers for imported / LHD vehicles can be different.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-headlight-alignment-2.jpg

You watch the beam level. This is OK.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-headlight-alignment-3.jpg

8. Rust on hub centre

I noticed some rust around the wheel hubs. It's present on all 4 wheels. This seems a standard issue on all cars.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-rust-near-hub.jpg

Anti rust paste was applied.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-anti-rust-paste-hub.jpg

9. Brake caliper and pad wear check
They are all in spec. I am happy with the values. I have put in conscious effort to be gentle on the brakes and the discs have ample material left on them. Brake pads were replaced by the company before the car was delivered (at 8k km) so they are good. Maybe they only replaced the front pads. That would explain the differential wear between front and rear. I'll keep watching this.
Tires will need replacement in 5-10k kms. I am aware of this and have started researching the most suitable tires for the car.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-service-check-card.jpg

Washer fluid. Its not too expensive, so I'll probably keep using this.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-washet-fluid-pack.jpg

10. Washing and cleaning

There are a couple of washing bays along with dedicated paint booths etc. in the service center. Nice setup.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-washing-bay-1.jpg

The team put in substantial effort with getting the car cleaned up.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-final-cleaning-getting-ready.jpg

Engine bay looks like how a new car's would be.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-clean-engine-bay.jpg

11. Final delivery
My car's service advisor was Manoj. He was very knowledgeable and was ex-JLR. He had worked with my childhood friend who works with JLR. I was happy to know. I must also mention that Ms. Sonam - who is Silver Star's CRM has been fantastic to talk to. She and Manoj put up with many of my queries.
My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-delivery-service-advisor-manoj.jpg

Concluding remarks
Happy with the work done and the day's effort was well spent.
Service cost came to roughly 54k since I did not change the fuel filter.
I think this is reasonable and falls in line with current service costs coming to 1% of new car costs.
I have recently renewed insurance for the car. That was done from BU Bhandari - which costed 86k.
Add fuel ~ 60-70k per year and tires ~1-1.2 lacs which will last 30k kms it comes to 2.6 lacs per year roughly as running cost.
Hope this helps and you enjoyed the latest update.
nitrogary is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 13:44   #51
BHPian

Glad to read about this positive review by Silver Star motors the new dealership.
I did see your car very briefly, post service delivery. Your were beaming and the GLC looked brand new.
Happysmiles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 22:28   #52
Senior - BHPian

Re: B2 service update part 2

Quote:
Post 2 - continued from above.

Hope this helps and you enjoyed the latest update.
Thanks for the detailed post. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 23:06   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WheelPilot View Post
The AMG S 63 looks as if it is draped in Satin! Amazing colour for a rocking car!
The C Class is slightly faster than the GLC, nonetheless, both are amazing cars to drive.
The C class is indeed a little sprightly compared to the relaxed GLC. Must be due to its weight and suspension setup. Did I mention that the W205 steering was noticeably heavier? My friend and I discussed this too.

As luck would have it, that S63 was at Silver Star workshop on Saturday.

Maybe a subtle hint from above? I am finding AMGs extremely attractive.

My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-s63-amg-1.jpg

My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-s63-amg-2.jpg

There was a stunning C63s AMG and another C43 gathering some dust, waiting to stretch their legs.

My Mercedes-Benz GLC 220d Progressive - Ownership Review-c63s-amg.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysmiles View Post
Glad to read about this positive review by Silver Star motors the new dealership.
I did see your car very briefly, post service delivery. Your were beaming and the GLC looked brand new.
Thanks Doctor. Was pretty happy with Saturday's effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Thanks for the detailed post. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
Thank you el lobo. I am glad you did. cheers!

Last edited by nitrogary : 9th November 2020 at 23:20.
nitrogary is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 01:08   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for all the information. It does appear a good work by the dealership.

Just googled the part numbers you have posted and it appears MB India is charging fat margins even for regular consumables as compared to what they charge globally.

https://www.mboemparts.com/oem-parts...ter-1668300218
https://www.mbpartsexpress.com/oem-p...ter-1668300218

Air Filter - 16 USD - INR - 3200

https://www.mboemparts.com/oem-parts...r-205835014764

Cabin Filter - 50 USD - INR 7400

No wonder a lot of people complain about high prices. Total Custom & GST on Auto parts is around 40% so MB India can definitely do better.

Last edited by Turbanator : 10th November 2020 at 01:13.
Turbanator is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 08:39   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Concluding remarks
... it comes to 2.6 lacs per year roughly as running cost...
Thanks for sharing detailed service cost and pictures. Interesting arrangement of engine oil filter. Is it done to reduce waste and control environmental impact? Specially liked your concluding paragraph about per year running cost. My X3’s first service is coming up in December end, hoping for a similar positive experience from German competitor.

Cheers,
-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 18:21   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Thanks for all the information. It does appear a good work by the dealership.

Just googled the part numbers you have posted and it appears MB India is charging fat margins even for regular consumables as compared to what they charge globally.

No wonder a lot of people complain about high prices. Total Custom & GST on Auto parts is around 40% so MB India can definitely do better.
So true! Thanks a lot of checking out these prices and finding the parts. I googled them too and found similar prices as you did. I was thinking import duty is more and hence the prices are jacked up by MB.

Is there a way to import parts by ourselves and take it to the dealership for upfit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Thanks for sharing detailed service cost and pictures. Interesting arrangement of engine oil filter. Is it done to reduce waste and control environmental impact? Specially liked your concluding paragraph about per year running cost. My X3’s first service is coming up in December end, hoping for a similar positive experience from German competitor.

Cheers,
-BJ
Thank you BJ. The oil filter layout and location is indeed a boon for servicing the vehicle. It makes the effort a lot less and relatively there is no mess.
I have enjoyed your X3 ownership thread as well
We should catch up with the cars and do a comparison and a drive. It will be fun. Eagerly waiting to know your car service update too.
cheers!
nitrogary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 20:11   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there a way to import parts by ourselves and take it to the dealership for upfit?
Nitro,

I would advise you against going that route - specially if you are planning to use the Dealer WS.

While I was working in Dubai a good friend of mine asked me to get a set of fuel injectors (elements) for his Merc in Trivandrum. The price difference was huge. Got the correct part numbers and bought it from the Merc dealers in Dubai.

He got the dealer in Trivandrum to fit them and to his dismay the dealer told them that 3 of the set wasn't functioning 100% and hence couldn't be used. He was forced to buy a complete set from Merc India.

The returning of the set bought from Dubai - was nearly impossible as the Authorised Spares Division in Dubai, refused to take it back as they were not ready to accept the rejection certificate from an Indian dealer. Had to pull a few strings in Dubai & Germany to get it done.

Be careful about that route

Best Regards & Drive Safe
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 23:36   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Nitro,

I would advise you against going that route
Yes and No. It will depend on warranty status of your car and also the type of the parts you need. Also, the logistics of getting something from overseas is not simple. I am sure, if we were to get these filters from states, these would have costed us more considering freight/ flat customs that DHL/ FedEx charges when clearing such consignments. So unless, we are doing this regularly for our business (have an IEC number/ Freight contracts with DHL etc) I won't recommend.

Regarding complaints on the original parts, if you buy something from a dealership abroad, they will normally ask your VIN and will sell you the parts only if there system allows. As an example, I have occasionally picked few accessories/ body parts for my BMW's but when I tried to order an upgraded tune/ brake kit for my X5, it won't allow citing, non-orderable for Indien version. Most countries will have a clear return policy, like I can return most of parts/ accessories in 30 days here in Canada and get full refund but they may apply re-stock fees on some of the special order parts. Only some of the deep discounted or very exclusive part will be considered as Final sales.

It will be in the best interests of MB India to rationalize the prices to international levels, if they want to improve their sales. Hope, someone does take a note.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 08:06   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I think this is reasonable and falls in line with current service costs coming to 1% of new car costs.

Thanks for posting the details. I was comparing it with what was done to my car, here, for the Service B. Pretty much the same thing. Glad to know that MB follows a universal approach across the globe ( atleast in this case )

I got everything done as per the recommendation including the filter changes. It costed me $460, which roughly translates to about INR 32K.

I am trying to think, why so much disparity in the cost. The experts on the group can respond
Old 16th November 2020, 08:27   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilarni View Post
I got everything done as per the recommendation including the filter changes. It costed me $460, which roughly translates to about INR 32K.

I am trying to think, why so much disparity in the cost.
As mentioned in the posts above, MB has priced parts at a premium here in India vs Global markets. EU maybe similar to US or little expensive (depending on the VAT).

Also factor custom duty and GST in India. 10% Basic Custom Duty and 28% GST and maybe little cheaper Labour. Can you post your invoice here?

Last edited by Turbanator : 16th November 2020 at 08:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks