Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2020, 10:24   #91
BHPian

First post lockdown drive

With the movement relaxations, I wanted to make the most of my Sunday and took her out for a proper morning drive along ECR, how I missed driving this car! Empty roads meant I could push her pretty hard but the truth is, driving stupidly fast in a straight line gets boring very quickly. I drove past Mahabalipuram towards Pondicherry and enjoyed the scenic B roads towards Pondy with its twists and turns way more than going fast in a straight line. Being able to engage with the car, the shifts and the different modes is so much more fun.

Driving the car properly after a long break, I was reminded how different each of the driving modes are. I was driving a lot in Sports+ in manual mode and noticed how the car keeps the turbos spooled and ready all the time, its like the car is at 11 pretty much always, and while this is fun, it can get difficult to drive it in a relaxed manner when you are navigating smaller roads and some traffic. The mode that I seem to enjoy the most is engine in Sports and steering in comfort, this offers an ideal blend of power, responsiveness, and comfort. BUT, in Sports+ when you rev with the valves open, it sure does put a rather large on your face!

Scratching the sports car itch - My BMW M2 Competition-img_1760.jpg
Scratching the sports car itch - My BMW M2 Competition-img_1765.jpg
Reesnat is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 19:24   #92
BHPian

Re: First post lockdown drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesnat View Post
With the movement relaxations, I wanted to make the most of my Sunday and took her out for a proper morning drive along ECR,
Hey Reesnat, great to see you enjoying the car, next time you want company please do ping me, I stay on ECR, and would love to join you for one of the drives if you are game. Would love to see how my car fares against your sportscar

PM me next time
Cheers,
xtremeshock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 17:41   #93
BHPian

Re: First post lockdown drive

Quote:
I drove past Mahabalipuram towards Pondicherry and enjoyed the scenic B roads towards Pondy with its twists and turns way more than going fast in a straight line. Being able to engage with the car, the shifts and the different modes is so much more fun.
Any clips for us to savour?
megazoid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 17:30   #94
BHPian

Re: Scratching the sports car itch - My BMW M2 Competition

Wow! Glad to see we have such exotic cars on this forum as well. Wishing you many happy miles (straight and sideways )
TheGearBox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 20:27   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review, and what an amazing car. Certainly wish I could afford to buy an M Car one day - unfortunately, that seems like an impossible dream.

The M2 Competition is probably the best car BMW makes right now - a friend has one in the US, and says that it is the true successor to old M3s. Best wishes and hope it gives you many miles fo fun motoring
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 21:19   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Igot the muffler painted black (high heat spray) pretty much straight away.
Can you give more details? I need to sort on mine M4.

Last edited by Turbanator : 21st June 2020 at 21:21.
Old 22nd June 2020, 14:26   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
Any clips for us to savour?
Hopefully more soon when I get a chance to driver her again

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
Wow! Glad to see we have such exotic cars on this forum as well. Wishing you many happy miles (straight and sideways )
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Great review, and what an amazing car. Certainly wish I could afford to buy an M Car one day - unfortunately, that seems like an impossible dream.

The M2 Competition is probably the best car BMW makes right now - a friend has one in the US, and says that it is the true successor to old M3s. Best wishes and hope it gives you many miles fo fun motoring
Thanks, hope you are able to realize your dream one day. The M2 sure is special if driving thrills are what you are after the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Can you give more details? I need to sort on mine M4.
Its a fairly simple thing - jack up the car, clean the muffler part you want to paint with isopropyl alcohol and then cover surrounding parts with plastic sheet/paper and spray away using 3M high heat spray. That's all was done on mine so far, and its holding up great. I used the matt black one.

But on the M4 the muffler isnt that bad, right? This cow udder syndrome is most prominent on the M2C.
Reesnat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 16:12   #98
Team-BHP Support

Don't know how I had missed this thread. What a car and an excellent review @Reesnat! Went through all of it at one go and rated 5 deserving stars. A belated congratulations and wish you many miles of happiness with the beauty.

Do you plan to take the car to track days in Chennai?
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 20:33   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow and wow, a review just as befitting a car as beautiful as the M2 competition. My evening just got a little better after reading the whole of it. The car is a true successor to the brilliant designs that were once the hallmark of the BMW’s. Congratulations and wishing many happy miles with this hoot of a car.

Regards.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 21:47   #100
BHPian

Congratulations, thats a great car! Wish you many happy miles & smiles.

It's bit surprising that CarPlay didn't come with it. My 3GT had it enabled by default when I picked in November'19 (was a July'19 model as per VIN, with iDrive 6). You should have the iDrive 7 right ? Quite confusing how BMW India can charge 75K for that when many other brand's not-so-premium models has it enabled.

Last edited by sunsbhp : 22nd June 2020 at 21:51. Reason: correction.
sunsbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 07:55   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Don't know how I had missed this thread. What a car and an excellent review @Reesnat! Went through all of it at one go and rated 5 deserving stars. A belated congratulations and wish you many miles of happiness with the beauty.

Do you plan to take the car to track days in Chennai?
Thanks, yes I can’t wait to get it on the Chennai track. I missed the last couple of events due various reasons, looking forward to the next one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Wow and wow, a review just as befitting a car as beautiful as the M2 competition. My evening just got a little better after reading the whole of it. The car is a true successor to the brilliant designs that were once the hallmark of the BMW’s. Congratulations and wishing many happy miles with this hoot of a car.

Regards.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsbhp View Post
Congratulations, thats a great car! Wish you many happy miles & smiles.

It's bit surprising that CarPlay didn't come with it. My 3GT had it enabled by default when I picked in November'19 (was a July'19 model as per VIN, with iDrive 6). You should have the iDrive 7 right ? Quite confusing how BMW India can charge 75K for that when many other brand's not-so-premium models has it enabled.
Thank you. I ‘think’ I have iDrive 7, never bothered to check which version I’m running. But yeah, charging for ‘Apple CarPlay Ready’ for a car in this price range is just criminal.
Reesnat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 04:30   #102
BHPian

Guess what BMW India posted on It's facebook page. The moment I saw it, knew where it came from without even reading the caption.
Strange but true, sometimes we feel attached even with the car of other bhpians, not literally but in terms of emotions, specifically when the ownership review is coming out straight from the heart rather than the head.
I will let the screenshot of the post talk now.

Scratching the sports car itch - My BMW M2 Competition-screenshot_20200627042329.jpg
Highh5 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 06:36   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on owning a future-classic!!

I have huge respect for petrolheads who are able to put their hard-earned money on cars like the M2 in India. It's almost like owning a Unicorn. Many desire for it but then only very few can own one.

I haven't driven the M2 but I have had the pleasure of spirited driving alongside the M2 and I've been hugely impressed with their agility. The car just hits the sweet spot in terms of size and power. Folks from the M Club talk about how the F87 M2 is the spiritual successor to the E46 M3 and I've seen it in action to appreciate that.

I'll just copy-paste for the lack of better words of my own.

" it’s clear where the BMW M2’s roots come from. The BMW E46 M3 defined what it meant to be small, fast, fun and also comfortable every day and set the standard when it first debuted, a standard that has yet to be reached by anyone, including BMW. Until now, as the BMW M2 provides all of the same driving attributes as the E46, just in a more modern way. If ever there was a modern interpretation of what the E46 M3 was, it’s the BMW M2."

Source: https://www.bmwblog.com/2016/02/23/w...he-bmw-e46-m3/

I'd also say that with so much power comes even greater responsibility. I've seen how a little bit of over-confidence or the lack of concentration sends the tail sideways unintentionally while I just smirk steering an AWD that saves me from embarrassment.

Thanks for sharing us your review and making our days brighter. I wish you many more happy miles!
Attached Thumbnails
Scratching the sports car itch - My BMW M2 Competition-5322ce7a36c648d8bb614c2b5bf6d620_1_201_a.jpeg  

Scratching the sports car itch - My BMW M2 Competition-c0d40a3b26e545f5b40f25f2c0f08259_1_201_a.jpeg  

kiku007 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 22:07   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Guess what BMW India posted on It's facebook page. The moment I saw it, knew where it came from without even reading the caption.
Strange but true, sometimes we feel attached even with the car of other bhpians, not literally but in terms of emotions, specifically when the ownership review is coming out straight from the heart rather than the head.
I will let the screenshot of the post talk now.

Attachment 2021535
Wow, thanks for sharing this, only seeing it now! Happy to share the emotions with you guys
Reesnat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 19:32   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Congratulations on owning a future-classic!!

I have huge respect for petrolheads who are able to put their hard-earned money on cars like the M2 in India. It's almost like owning a Unicorn. Many desire for it but then only very few can own one.

I haven't driven the M2 but I have had the pleasure of spirited driving alongside the M2 and I've been hugely impressed with their agility. The car just hits the sweet spot in terms of size and power. Folks from the M Club talk about how the F87 M2 is the spiritual successor to the E46 M3 and I've seen it in action to appreciate that.

I'll just copy-paste for the lack of better words of my own.

" it’s clear where the BMW M2’s roots come from. The BMW E46 M3 defined what it meant to be small, fast, fun and also comfortable every day and set the standard when it first debuted, a standard that has yet to be reached by anyone, including BMW. Until now, as the BMW M2 provides all of the same driving attributes as the E46, just in a more modern way. If ever there was a modern interpretation of what the E46 M3 was, it’s the BMW M2."

Source: https://www.bmwblog.com/2016/02/23/w...he-bmw-e46-m3/

I'd also say that with so much power comes even greater responsibility. I've seen how a little bit of over-confidence or the lack of concentration sends the tail sideways unintentionally while I just smirk steering an AWD that saves me from embarrassment.

Thanks for sharing us your review and making our days brighter. I wish you many more happy miles!
Thanks, lovely pics, those drives must have been a lot of fun! Yes, the element of danger was actually one of the reasons I got this, its one of those cars that you need to drive, than the AWD cars which are idiot-proof for the most part and lack that extra excitement. (ofcourse they can go stupid fast in a straight line)
Reesnat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks