Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2020, 07:12   #16
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 10:22   #17
BHPian

Re: The Magic Carpet - My Honda Jazz Petrol CVT (Automatic)

Great thread sir! The Jazz is such a great car. It's primarily Honda's lacklustre attitude towards the Indian market that the Jazz hasn't become a runaway success. Otherwise, when it comes to practicality, which is an important requirement for a buyer of a premium hatchback, it's the best by a huge margin. And Honda has given it the convenience of a CVT too. Hope you have some wonderful miles with this machine!
BZ25 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 12:19   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooblaster View Post
THE MAGIC CARPET – HONDA JAZZ CVT

This is going to be a long haul (Courtesy: COVID Lockdown) If you have time and resilience; ride shotgun with me for the next 7000 words. Each section will be given as an individual thread. Please feel free to move across to the ones you feel are more relevant. And please do correct me for any inadvertent errors that might have crept in.

First things first, I have to thank TBHP Member Mr GKMahajan. His review on the Honda Jazz CVT was very helpful in finalising our purchase.

Now that the opening credits have rolled over, let’s shift gears (I keep forgetting that it’s a CVT; so maybe a gentle tap on the accelerator).
Dear Voodooblaster,

This is well written review - of a really good car!

Very nice of you to mention me (or rather my review). Thank you!!

I noticed that you have got a lot more features which I did not get. Anyway, the heart of our cars is same.

One small opinion - after first few attempts of comparing D and S mode in ghat sections, I came to the conclusion that the D mode is almost as good as the S. All I have to do is press the accelerator just correctly (actually slowly) and the car just rushes through! Anyway, my wife has never used the S mode and has never felt the need!

Anyway, once more, congratulations on your Magic Carpet!

Enjoy the ride.

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 17:48   #19
BHPian

The review was simply amazing! Loved the extensive writeup which covered absolutely everything
Even we own a Dzire AMT so I can totally relate with the ease and comfort of driving. It does get a little boring on open roads as you have nothing to do but the advantages just overshadow all the cons!
I've always loved the Jazz for it's looks and the brilliant packaging (they have carved out City levels of space in a hatchback!). Love the powertrain too- butter smooth iVTEC + super smooth CVT!
Wish you lacs of joyful and hassle-free miles with your Jazzy Valentine!
Nazaar25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 18:30   #20
BHPian

That's one well written report you got there! I am sure sure folks looking for information on the Jazz CVT would find it invaluable.

I too had been in touch with most of the dealerships you mentioned around this time last year when I was in the market for a new car. I even took the family along to Nippon Toyota Eanchakkal, coincidentally we were assigned Karthik too. Sincere chap! I got in touch with Peninsular Honda about the Amaze P MT next, found them/their SA to be a bit too smug for my liking (things may have changed by now).

Here's wishing you many more happy miles on your magic carpet
vik99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 21:50   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ25 View Post
Great thread sir! The Jazz is such a great car. It's primarily Honda's lacklustre attitude towards the Indian market that the Jazz hasn't become a runaway success. Otherwise, when it comes to practicality, which is an important requirement for a buyer of a premium hatchback, it's the best by a huge margin. And Honda has given it the convenience of a CVT too. Hope you have some wonderful miles with this machine!
You have hit the nail on the head BZ25. Maybe Honda should poach someone from Maruti (Strictly from the marketing side and never the Kitna Deti Hai brigade ) to try and replicate (even partially) the maruti success story. Any thoughts of people buying a car simply for the Brand Value is not going to work out in the long run. The roaring success of KIA (Though a part of Hyundai Family) should alert Honda that Indian market will consider and accept even new brands and not necessarily just the established brands if the product and after sales Service is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Dear Voodooblaster,

This is well written review - of a really good car!

Very nice of you to mention me (or rather my review). Thank you!!
Hi Girish Ji

Frankly speaking, you sold the car for Honda. I really couldn't write the review without mentioning you and of course your review. And the way you still contribute actively to the thread almost five years from the initial posting is simply amazing

Quote:

I noticed that you have got a lot more features which I did not get. Anyway, the heart of our cars is same.
The features were probably beefed up to compete with its competitors. With the large no. of CSUV's and Premium Hatches, Honda needs to up its ante to translate footfalls into sales.

Quote:

One small opinion - after first few attempts of comparing D and S mode in ghat sections, I came to the conclusion that the D mode is almost as good as the S. All I have to do is press the accelerator just correctly (actually slowly) and the car just rushes through! Anyway, my wife has never used the S mode and has never felt the need!

Anyway, once more, congratulations on your Magic Carpet!

Enjoy the ride.

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
Coming from Stick Shifts, maybe the irrational fear of automatics not fully responding to our control could have made me go all guns blazing. I felt the S mode to be advantageous when overtaking trucks and buses in the ghats. Maybe D mode + padle shifters should do the trick. Also my experience is limited to a maximum of 2000 kms. All the heavy duty running is done by dad.

And more importantly I really should spend more time with Jazz and learn to extract the most out of D mode with green rings on the odometer. Especially considering the recent hike in Excise duty.
https://www.ndtv.com/business/petrol...vid-19-2224022
While fuel price hike may not be immediately felt, they could be happen when Crude prices start rising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaar25 View Post
The review was simply amazing! Loved the extensive writeup which covered absolutely everything
Even we own a Dzire AMT so I can totally relate with the ease and comfort of driving. It does get a little boring on open roads as you have nothing to do but the advantages just overshadow all the cons!
I've always loved the Jazz for it's looks and the brilliant packaging (they have carved out City levels of space in a hatchback!). Love the powertrain too- butter smooth iVTEC + super smooth CVT!
Wish you lacs of joyful and hassle-free miles with your Jazzy Valentine!
Thank you Nazaar25. And great play of words with Jazzy Valentine! If Honda do use these words in their upcoming ads for Jazz, be sure to collect the Royalties

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik99 View Post
That's one well written report you got there! I am sure sure folks looking for information on the Jazz CVT would find it invaluable.

I too had been in touch with most of the dealerships you mentioned around this time last year when I was in the market for a new car. I even took the family along to Nippon Toyota Eanchakkal, coincidentally we were assigned Karthik too. Sincere chap! I got in touch with Peninsular Honda about the Amaze P MT next, found them/their SA to be a bit too smug for my liking (things may have changed by now).
What car did you decide on vik99

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik99 View Post
Here's wishing you many more happy miles on your magic carpet

Thank you for your kind words.
Voodooblaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 09:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Well written detailed review Voodooblaster. Yes, its sad that Honda no longer offer Magic seats with the Jazz, hope they re-introduce it with the new BS6 Jazz, but even without this feature, the car has brilliant packaging and enough space at the back.

Quote:
I have added the Jazz 2018 model brochure and Owner’s manual that may be used for comparison and reference now that the next model of jazz is expected.
Thanks. Will come in handy to find new features added / deleted.
Old 8th May 2020, 10:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

I spent 2 years in Singapore, i used to drool over Honda Jazz which was sold there. Some of them were very sweetly modded and looked smashing.

I got to see the Singapore spec car in detail during one of auto shows and from that time had made up mind to buy it eyes closed when i return to India.

However i was in for a disappointment, few good bits were missing and yes the biggest disappointment for me was lack of 1.5 engine!

Honda got lost in competing with other sub 4 m cars and hence they had to resort to cost cutting to keep it competitive ( Remember first gen Jazz flopped because of pricing ). While i agree to this line of thought, but it was neither here nor there kind of strategy and Jazz got lost in sea of Balenos and i20s.

Magic seats was one of its USP its sad its only sold in Top end variant ( Not sure if even topend has it now ).
With Brio gone and Amaze doing decently, Honda can position Jazz at the premium end of segment with all bells and whistles along with a potent engine.

10+ lacs for hatchback which is not top end neither is it diesel, doesn't sound competitive on pricing front.

Last edited by silverado : 8th May 2020 at 10:10.
Old 8th May 2020, 12:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congratulation on the magic carpet sir. A well written & very detailed review

I got mine around a couple of months after yours'(April 2019) & just completed 10,000 kms(related post (Honda Jazz : Official Review)). V CVT indeed is the most VFM proposition in the Jazz lineup.

Even I was almost certain of picking it up however looking at my long term ownership plan didnt want to skimp on features like AA/AC,electric mirror(very important in narrow bylanes) & likes. Infact around Feb,2020 Honda came out with exclusive edition which for an extra 20k gave a lot of cosmetic updates which otherwise would cost ~30k+ off-the-showroom. So finally bit the bullet and went for VX CVT exclusive edition. It cost me exactly 1L over yours'(OTR in bangalore) which I feel is not a bad deal at all considering the higher taxes here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Magic seats was one of its USP its sad its only sold in Top end variant ( Not sure if even topend has it now ).
No more available even in the top end from 2018 update onwards.

Last edited by SoumenD : 8th May 2020 at 12:32.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 12:24   #25
BHPian

Great review there. Two years back, my wife and I were convinced the Jazz automatic will be a great option for our small family of 3. I was raving about how great the interiors were (of the earlier Jazz, I never had seen the new one). We went to the Honda dealership with our cheque book and were shocked at the level of interior quality.

We walked into VW and booked a POLO GT TSI after a short test drive. We were blown away by everything the car had to offer and just stretched our budged by about 1.7 lacs on the fly.

I strongly believe the interior is the only chink in the armour for this great car.
lionell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 13:54   #26
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car. And welcome to Honda Family. Being a Honda Brio owner for the past 5 years, I guarantee of your car will never disappoint you. Sad that Honda is not gonna launch the next gen Jazz in India.
Keep revving.
Vasanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 17:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooblaster View Post
THE MAGIC CARPET – HONDA JAZZ CVT
Very nice and detailed review, rated 5 stars and congratulations to you and your family for the ownership and the anniversary.
I have driven my fried's Jazz last year around April / May which was the Exclusive Edition version having a sporty spoiler apart from the badge at the back as visual differentiator.

It was this car that changed my perspective to go on and buy an Automatic Innova later on.

My feedback from the test drive is that the seats are really comfortable and typical of Honda and the space inside is also great apart from being good on features. Things like driver seat height adjust, paddle shifters and cruise controls are great additions and make this an ample long distance cruiser too.

I did have two observations, the suspension was a bit stiffer making you realize that bumpers need to be crossed with caution but this improves the body roll during cornering to an extent. Also the D mode is a bit lethargic even if you floor the gas pedal for 2-3 seconds that upsurge is not felt easily and the speedo takes time to go to 80 Km/hr. Of course I did not try the S mode or the paddle shifters, appears the throttle response improves with S mode as evident with your FE figures of 8 KM/L in that mode.

My friend also had got the dealer upgrading the stock headlamp to projector headlamps apart from a few other accessories. Overall its a looker on the roads and carries the futuristic design style from Honda.

Last edited by haisaikat : 8th May 2020 at 17:07.
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 20:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the new ride! I think its a pretty well rounded package and I'm a fan of how easy this car is to drive in the city, even the MT is butter smooth. Ok, I've tried beating about the bush, did anyone notice the unpainted inside of the bonnet? I cannot believe this. How much did Honda save by not painting the hood properly? I get this treatment in the wheel arches, underbody, etc. This is an enormous omission. I beg you to shell out some cash and get this painted as soon as the lockdown is lifted. I'm sorry, I just can't un-see this now.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2020, 01:19   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Well written detailed review Voodooblaster. Yes, its sad that Honda no longer offer Magic seats with the Jazz, hope they re-introduce it with the new BS6 Jazz, but even without this feature, the car has brilliant packaging and enough space at the back.

Thanks. Will come in handy to find new features added / deleted.
Hi ChiragM sincerely hope that the upcoming BS6 compliant Jazz is not just an engine swap by Honda. They need to add more goodies to stay relevant in this crowded segment. Its current USP is the huge availability of space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
I spent 2 years in Singapore, i used to drool over Honda Jazz which was sold there. Some of them were very sweetly modded and looked smashing.

I got to see the Singapore spec car in detail during one of auto shows and from that time had made up mind to buy it eyes closed when i return to India.

However i was in for a disappointment, few good bits were missing and yes the biggest disappointment for me was lack of 1.5 engine!

Honda got lost in competing with other sub 4 m cars and hence they had to resort to cost cutting to keep it competitive ( Remember first gen Jazz flopped because of pricing ). While i agree to this line of thought, but it was neither here nor there kind of strategy and Jazz got lost in sea of Balenos and i20s.

With Brio gone and Amaze doing decently, Honda can position Jazz at the premium end of segment with all bells and whistles along with a potent engine.

10+ lacs for hatchback which is not top end neither is it diesel, doesn't sound competitive on pricing front.
Agree fully with you silverado regarding the faux pas Honda has committed regarding pricing strategy. Brio was slightly overpriced and hence couldn't sell well. Similarly the first gen Jazz. And frankly speaking cutting magic seats wouldn't have led to major savings. If anything it has led to one less weapon in the armory to sell Jazz. Honda could have trimmed its margins to boost the numbers. Additional numbers will lead to more revenue for OEM as well as dealer in the form of spares/consumables/service charges, Insurance commissions (through Honda Assure). Also more cars on the road is more publicity. Can you travel a 100 metres on Indian Roads without even seeing the Maruti bage at least once? Each and every vehicle on the road is more publicity, especially in the mass car segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Congratulation on the magic carpet sir. A well written & very detailed review

I got mine around a couple of months after yours'(April 2019) & just completed 10,000 kms(related post (Honda Jazz : Official Review)). V CVT indeed is the most VFM proposition in the Jazz lineup.

Even I was almost certain of picking it up however looking at my long term ownership plan didnt want to skimp on features like AA/AC,electric mirror(very important in narrow bylanes) & likes. Infact around Feb,2020 Honda came out with exclusive edition which for an extra 20k gave a lot of cosmetic updates which otherwise would cost ~30k+ off-the-showroom. So finally bit the bullet and went for VX CVT exclusive edition. It cost me exactly 1L over yours'(OTR in bangalore) which I feel is not a bad deal at all considering the higher taxes here.

No more available even in the top end from 2018 update onwards.
Congrats SoumenD on acquiring Frosty. Electric folding mirrors is a huge miss in the V Variant. In my opinion, it should be there in the base variant as well. Cars which are a full segment below get it. Also the mirrors cannot be folded in the reverse direction. The Etios Liva had such mirrors, to prevent accidental damage when swiped by 2 wheelers who cut too close for comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
Great review there. Two years back, my wife and I were convinced the Jazz automatic will be a great option for our small family of 3. I was raving about how great the interiors were (of the earlier Jazz, I never had seen the new one). We went to the Honda dealership with our cheque book and were shocked at the level of interior quality.

We walked into VW and booked a POLO GT TSI after a short test drive. We were blown away by everything the car had to offer and just stretched our budged by about 1.7 lacs on the fly.

I strongly believe the interior is the only chink in the armour for this great car.
lionell Congrats on getting one stonker of a car. Polo GT TSI looks better and drives even better. If boot space is not a major issue the POLO can be one of the best bets you can place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasanth View Post
Congratulations on your new car. And welcome to Honda Family. Being a Honda Brio owner for the past 5 years, I guarantee of your car will never disappoint you. Sad that Honda is not gonna launch the next gen Jazz in India.
Keep revving.
Thank you Vasanth. I liked the looks of Brio very much. The sweet 1.2 litre engine in such a light car means its one of the nimblest and fastest cars in the cities. It can easily smoke cars that are 10 times its cost in the chaotic urban warfield.

Hope Honda brings back Brio, albeit priced competitively to take on Swift, Grand i10/NIOS, Tiago/Tigor and figo.

The advantages of smaller cars explained here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...sive-ones.html (When smaller, cheaper cars are more fun-to-drive than bigger & expensive ones)

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Very nice and detailed review, rated 5 stars and congratulations to you and your family for the ownership and the anniversary.
I have driven my fried's Jazz last year around April / May which was the Exclusive Edition version having a sporty spoiler apart from the badge at the back as visual differentiator.

It was this car that changed my perspective to go on and buy an Automatic Innova later on.

My feedback from the test drive is that the seats are really comfortable and typical of Honda and the space inside is also great apart from being good on features. Things like driver seat height adjust, paddle shifters and cruise controls are great additions and make this an ample long distance cruiser too.
haisaikat, going forward automatics will be selling more in demand. And like 2 wheelers, the day is not far off when the automatics will sell almost as much as the Manual variants like in the 2 wheeler segment. The front passenger seat is second best place in the Jazz. (Best is reserved for the driver). Seats are way better than Amaze. From my experience I felt that the front seats in City and Jazz are the same. Cruise control + paddle shifters are a dream come true, especially for a sub 10lac Car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
I did have two observations, the suspension was a bit stiffer making you realize that bumpers need to be crossed with caution but this improves the body roll during cornering to an extent. Also the D mode is a bit lethargic even if you floor the gas pedal for 2-3 seconds that upsurge is not felt easily and the speedo takes time to go to 80 Km/hr. Of course I did not try the S mode or the paddle shifters, appears the throttle response improves with S mode as evident with your FE figures of 8 KM/L in that mode.
With Honda Cars, you always have to cross bumpers with care. The low FE experienced in a particular trip due to the horrible traffic+steep inclines in a hill station during a long weekend. In normal conditions S mode does not affect FE to that levels. We tested S mode and D mode in a different trip. D mode on the outward journey with 13.6 Kmpl and S mode in the inward journey with 12.6kmpl. The traffic levels were similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Congratulations on the new ride! I think its a pretty well rounded package and I'm a fan of how easy this car is to drive in the city, even the MT is butter smooth. Ok, I've tried beating about the bush, did anyone notice the unpainted inside of the bonnet? I cannot believe this. How much did Honda save by not painting the hood properly? I get this treatment in the wheel arches, underbody, etc. This is an enormous omission. I beg you to shell out some cash and get this painted as soon as the lockdown is lifted. I'm sorry, I just can't un-see this now.
adi_petrolhead, you have the Eagle eyes. Yes the lack of paint job on the inside panels are not acceptable in any car that costs over 6 lacs. It may be ok in Entry level cars like Alto or Kwid, but definitely not in a premium hatch. If truth be told i didnt notice it first, but now that you have mentioned it , I too cant un-see it.
Voodooblaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2020, 03:41   #30
BHPian

Wonderful review and congrats for your new ride!! Thanks for sharing your review and initial experiences.

I am in search of buying an automatic car for my wife, looking for a good pre-owned one.
The Jazz CVT seems like a good choice now. I'm personally more inclined towards buying a Brio CVT due to its smaller size.

Most Viewed