Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2021, 22:15   #46
BHPian

Re: A Tale of Outliers : Buying a used Mitsubishi Outlander & Maruti Grand Vitara

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Will it be sustainable if I go and buy a 2015 Pajero Sport RWD AT now at this point?
I think if you read Vigsom, Devdath & other Pajero Sport owners threads, the overall upkeep of the PS is not very difficult as it is a relatively hassle free ownership experience.

However, you need a good & trusted FNG to diagnose any issues. I would have bought one over an Outlander only if the 10 year NCR diesel ban would not have been in effect.

Outlander are far fewer in number but offer a very different experience over the PS.
prateekswarup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 20:40   #47

Re: A Tale of Outliers : Buying a used Mitsubishi Outlander & Maruti Grand Vitara

Hi Prateek, I am in the market for a car for my parents and I am also considering a 2009-2010 Outlander. I was wondering if you've had any new experiences with the car recently and more importantly, if you can recommend a trusted FNG in Delhi NCR.

Thank you!
Old 25th June 2022, 06:42   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperyslipped View Post
Hi Prateek, I am in the market for a car for my parents and I am also considering a 2009-2010 Outlander. I was wondering if you've had any new experiences with the car recently and more importantly, if you can recommend a trusted FNG in Delhi NCR.

Thank you!
Hi Slipperyslipped,

Missed seeing this post. While Japs are relatively bullet free in ownership, finding a clean Outlander with good service history might be a challenge.

If you find one, parts are available. I typically go to Goodwill Motors in Gurgaon for servicing. I have also used Mitsubishi (Excel Motors) in Faridabad, they are also quite competent but expensive.

Mileage in city will hover around 8-11 kmpl depending on traffic conditions. My average is around 10 kmpl with a mix of expressway & morning/evening rush from Greater Noida to Gurgaon.
Old 6th July 2022, 18:00   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekswarup View Post
Hi Slipperyslipped,

Missed seeing this post. While Japs are relatively bullet free in ownership, finding a clean Outlander with good service history might be a challenge.

If you find one, parts are available. I typically go to Goodwill Motors in Gurgaon for servicing. I have also used Mitsubishi (Excel Motors) in Faridabad, they are also quite competent but expensive.

Mileage in city will hover around 8-11 kmpl depending on traffic conditions. My average is around 10 kmpl with a mix of expressway & morning/evening rush from Greater Noida to Gurgaon.

Thanks Prateek, I ended up pausing my search for another car at the moment but this will be great info for someone else in the market.
Old 19th July 2022, 13:17   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekswarup View Post
Updating ownership of the Outlander.

There were some squeaking noises coming from the rear suspension, ordered a bush kit (CTR brand) from recommended Mitsubishi parts seller. It was time to change the rear shockers, so ordered original KYBs from the same seller.

Delivery done in same day from Kashmere Gate to Greater Noida.

Install done next day at FNG. Overall parts + labour ~ Rs. 24K.

Post this, no squeaks.

Took it for a Christmas drive to Mussorie. Average of ~10kmpl round trip (650kms) with 4 persons & luggage.

1st time saw the "Caution: Icy Roads" pop up in the instrument cluster due to some hail on the road on the way to Dhanaulti.

This was my second trip with the Outlander to Mussorie & it didn't disappoint. Very comfortable handling & seating, enough space for family to lounge behind and sleep. Uphill had to use the paddle shifters to keep the engine on boil to plan those overtaking maneuvers, but most of the plains was on auto.

I have gotten used to planning overtakes by modulating the acceleration so to ensure that I am in the powerband when I start the overtake.

Got to use the heated seats function for a change. Very addictive in the cold climate.
Hi Prateek, wonderful to see an active Outlander post. I am a happy owner of a 2010 pre-owned Outtie and have loved every moment in the veh.

Could you pl share the contact number of the Kashmere Gate spare part dealer. Need to source some stuff for the old girl.
Old 30th July 2022, 07:15   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by APC174 View Post
Hi Prateek, wonderful to see an active Outlander post. I am a happy owner of a 2010 pre-owned Outtie and have loved every moment in the veh.

Could you pl share the contact number of the Kashmere Gate spare part dealer. Need to source some stuff for the old girl.
Here you go - JMD Autoparts, Yash - 8447379432. You can also go to Goodwill Motors behind Star Mall in Gurgaon for any service / parts related stuff. He can source / repair.
Old 30th July 2022, 08:18   #52
BHPian

Upadating this ownership thread:

Due to the pandemic, the Outlander had not really seen a lot of travel, apart from the few outstation trips and the routine intercity travel, overall distance travelled since purchase in Dec’19 to Jan’22 was around 13k kms.

Jan’22, life was getting back to some normalcy, so dramatically disrupted by the pandemic. Vaccinations done, offices opening up. I had not yet team-bhp’d the Outlander & had recently bought a fresh set of stickers and Republic Day weekend is when I finally got the Live To Drive (my favourite) stamped on it’s posterior. Minor photo shoot over & feeling properly enthused, I decided to take an imprompto dash to Starbucks Jewar (on the Yamuna Expressway) with the thought of pushing the 2.4 Ltr NA petrol MIVEC engine through it paces. This was also an opportunity to fully test the column mounted magnesium paddle shifters.

Stickered!
A Tale of Outliers : Buying a used Mitsubishi Outlander & Maruti Grand Vitara-stickered.jpg

So armed with a thermos of black coffee and my trusty team-bhp mug, I set out towards the Yamuna Expressway.

The morning sun rays were just starting to filter in through the trees when I reached the Expressway. Considering a Sunday and early morning, traffic was moderately light as I footed the accelerator and inched towards the speed limit.

The Rear Bench!
A Tale of Outliers : Buying a used Mitsubishi Outlander & Maruti Grand Vitara-ltd-coffee-mug.jpg

Normally, I do not need to use paddle shifters. I have a fairly sedate driving style and with the near rock-bottom efficiency figures that show-up on the instant fuel consumption screen in the Multi Information Display (MID), sudden acceleration / deacceleration is what I typically avoid. Plus, the Outlander’s instant consumption bar has a very rewarding green colour when you do pace the drive. It gamifies the need to drive sensibiliy, much like the Eco green hue of the Honda City’s instrument cluster.

The Outlander reaches 100 kmph at around 2000 rpm and hence in my 2+ years of ownership, I had yet to see the needle cross a 4000 rpm (some sections of the Dehradun hills where I did need to downshift on an incline).

That Sunday drive became my Nurburgring, in many ways than one. Couple of downshifts to reach 5k rpm (redlines at 6k), build acceleration and coast to maintain safety speeds. 15 mins into the drive, start feeling a little shudder from the engine and the dreaded check engine light comes on!
Wiping my Fast & Furious grin off my face, I park on the shoulder to do an inspection, while having a flurry of thoughts jostling to take the lead in the Formula 1 start.
  • Engine temperature – check!
  • Stepped out, did a visual inspection under the body for leaks and tyre related issues – all ok!
  • Opened the hood, seeing for any signs of overheating, leakage, belt related, etc – all seemed ok!
  • Switched off the engine. Sipped coffee while sitting on the split tailgate for a tumultous 10 mins.
Restarted, check engine light still yellow. Put into gear and slowly accelerated. There seems to a noticeble loss is power and higher than 1500 rpm, the vibrations were back.

I’m not a very technically clued on to all the inner workings of the engine, but a fair guess on the problem was either an engine mount issue, leading to vibrations at particular speeds or misfiring spark plug, leading to improper firing in the block.

Managed to find a close u-turn to return towards Greater Noida, ensuring less than 1500 rpm effort from the engine. Took me 1 hour to return home compared to the 20 mins earlier. I have a FNG close to my place for immediate diagnosis and they have done minor body and suspension work for me earlier. Competent but basic from an infrastructure point of view. Took it there.
Final diagnosis – oil in the spark plug, coming from engine blow back at higher rpms, needs an engine overhaul. The lead mechanic was confident of doing the overhaul, but parts would be a problem since only once did they open the engine would they get to know what they would need. Then would take the parts to Kashmere gate for replacements.

Now an engine overhaul is a comprehensive process and hence before I took the plunge, wanted a 2nd and a 3rd opinion. Ask the Mitsubishi Service Centre (Faridabad), to have a look at the same. The Outlander has been to their service center once or twice, and hence they are familiar with the car.

Service centre team picked it up and ran a diagnosis. There was engine blowback as they call it due to piston rings and oil seals being worn out. Final diagnosis, engine overhaul. Estimate given was 2.5 times the FNG near my place.

A Tale of Outliers : Buying a used Mitsubishi Outlander & Maruti Grand Vitara-1.whatsapp-image-20220202-9.50.19-am.jpeg Oil in the spark plug

Engine Smoke on Cold Start

Blowback

Now what?

Now I was in a delimma. I had barely used the car since it’s purchase. Unlike the Grand Vitara, this one has run 50% in the same time, owing to the Pandemic. Anyway I looked at it, without repair, this would become a very costly ornament in my garage, good to look at, zero usage value. For repair, I had 2 options – one, put oversized piston rings, get the engine working and sell the car.; two – get the engine rebuilt, use for a couple of years and then sell it.

With my limited running, buying a new car seemed to be an overkill. Pre-owned options in Delhi NCR for AWD/4x4 are limited to petrol due to NGT ban. Buying a 5 year old diesel AWD was as good as buying a new Creta and hard to find. In the limited amount of money, there were almost neglibile contenders for a replacement.

After much though I decided to get the engine overhauled and keep the Outlander for another 2-3 years as per the NGT rule. Now came the question of where to get this done with surety that the workmanship will be good, adequate costs and transperancy of parts used.

Conversations with Mitsubishi did not inspire confidence. They started with very high quotation and then reduced the same by 50% when I wished to walk out with the car. Also, was not very sure on the engagement I would be able to get if I let them do it. There were no gurantees that they offered post engine rebuild.

Overhauled!

Spoke to Ashwani at Goodwill Motors. He has been my go-to guy for Grand Vitara and Outlander also. He was confident of sourcing parts, but said would take time. He gave a slightly lower estimate, also. The main aspect was that I was confident on him – I could pester him for updates, go and have a look at the build, and he has proven technical knowledge & parts sourcing contacts to get this done.

So the decision was made. I picked up the Outlander from Mitsubishi and deposited it to Goodwill Motors at Gurgaon.

Long story short, it took almost 30 days for the rebuild to happen. Parts sourcing was a challenge, plus labour delays. But I was in no hurry as I was more keen to get it done well then get it done fast.

Images of the overhaul:
A Tale of Outliers : Buying a used Mitsubishi Outlander & Maruti Grand Vitara-2.whatsapp-image-20220223-2.28.05-pm.jpeg

A Tale of Outliers : Buying a used Mitsubishi Outlander & Maruti Grand Vitara-3.whatsapp-image-20220223-2.28.12-pm.jpeg

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.WhatsApp Image 20220223 at 2.28.12 PM.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	2339824

A Tale of Outliers : Buying a used Mitsubishi Outlander & Maruti Grand Vitara-4.whatsapp-image-20220223-2.28.23-pm.jpeg

A Tale of Outliers : Buying a used Mitsubishi Outlander & Maruti Grand Vitara-5.whatsapp-image-20220223-2.28.47-pm.jpeg

A Tale of Outliers : Buying a used Mitsubishi Outlander & Maruti Grand Vitara-6.whatsapp-image-20220223-2.29.03-pm.jpeg

A Tale of Outliers : Buying a used Mitsubishi Outlander & Maruti Grand Vitara-7.whatsapp-image-20220223-2.29.09-pm.jpeg

A Tale of Outliers : Buying a used Mitsubishi Outlander & Maruti Grand Vitara-8.whatsapp-image-20220223-2.29.26-pm.jpeg

A Tale of Outliers : Buying a used Mitsubishi Outlander & Maruti Grand Vitara-9.whatsapp-image-20220226-4.43.11-pm.jpeg

A Tale of Outliers : Buying a used Mitsubishi Outlander & Maruti Grand Vitara-10.whatsapp-image-20220226-4.43.19-pm.jpeg

A Tale of Outliers : Buying a used Mitsubishi Outlander & Maruti Grand Vitara-11.whatsapp-image-20220226-8.13.07-pm.jpeg

As good as new?

Post the overhaul, I have driven almost 7000 kilometers. We did an oil change after the 1st 1000 kms. I feel a noticible difference in power and pickup. While the Outlander is no speed rocket, the build of power is slightly better than after the rebuild.

I took this to Chakrata with my family during May’22. There are some steep gradients and lots of twisties on the way and with a full load, AC on all the time, I did not feel any sluggishness or missing. Have kept a sharp eye on the engine temperature, but that has largely been steady.

At Chakrata!
A Tale of Outliers : Buying a used Mitsubishi Outlander & Maruti Grand Vitara-chakrata.jpg
prateekswarup is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 09:34   #53
BHPian

Good to know that the engine rebuild was a success Prateek. It’s always a slightly risky proposition.
Wish you many more kms of happiness with your Outlander.
Styler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 16:50   #54
BHPian

Great to know your car is back to how it should be! Wish you many more happy miles with it!

A few irritating questions! ( Sorry about it)

Did the mechanic identify the root cause of back compression?
Did you end up re-sleeving the block or used over sized pistons? Was the head also given a shave? How about the valves and thier associated components?
Was the radiator given a through wash and new coolant filled in?
And finally, what was the approximate cost of rebuild? You can choose not to answer this in case if you don't feel like!
Old 14th November 2022, 14:46   #55

Mitsubishi Outlander 2010 - Worth Considering?

Any opinions on how viable buying a used Mitsubishi Outlander 2010 model would be?

Ever since I saw it for the first time, it's been a car I have wanted to own. My family is looking for a larger car and I wanted to consider this instead of the newer SUVs.

I know there is an ASC on Pune but how easy/difficult is it to source parts?

Would love to hear from owners or those who can help me connect with those who've had one in the past.
Old 14th November 2022, 16:50   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Outlander 2010 - Worth Considering?

Have you driven the Outlander firstly? I think you should first. It has happened many a times and oft that I have loved a particular car a lot, ogled at it since time immemorial, only to drive it and realise it was nothing great. Classic never meet your hero situation.

Test drive a well kept example first. If you still like it, you will need to factor in longer wait times for parts along with the associated costs too. In the end, the Outlander was a premium D-segment SUV, keeping aside the fact that it was built by a company which was never able to committ to the Indian market.

I would recommend you consider more contemporary options. A few that come to my mind include a later model XUV 500, an Innova (the Outlander is anyway a softroader. If you can overlook the Innova's MPV image, it's a great buy) and maybe the 2012 Toyota Fortuner (below average brakes and bumpy ride being the dealerbreakers here).

Used Outlanders are cheap for a reason. The 2.4 Mivec is nothing great in terms of fuel efficiency and it was built by a rather infamous brand in the Indian context as I mentioned before.
vishy76 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 16:55   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by burst_mode View Post
Any opinions on how viable buying a used Mitsubishi Outlander 2010 model would be?
Please stay away from a Mitsubishi, as great automobiles as they may be. Authorized after-sales support is non-existent in India, (original) parts are very expensive and procurement lead time is very high. These can be "hobby" cars at best, never recommended as primary/regular-usage cars.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 19:18   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ford was much more established than Mitsubishi in India, and yet People think twice if they want a Ford today. A Mitsubishi car carried the bad reputation about spares availability even when at the time the company was in operation. Do you want to live with one now ?

The Outlander does look attractive from outside. A softroader that is not too big, not too small. And has some of the Pajero's aura reflected on to it. But I would not consider one today.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 11:37   #59
BHPian

Quote:

Ever since I saw it for the first time, it's been a car I have wanted to own. My family is looking for a larger car and I wanted to consider this instead of the newer SUVs.

I know there is an ASC on Pune but how easy/difficult is it to source parts?

Would love to hear from owners or those who can help me connect with those who've had one in the past.
It looks good, will come very cheap and is a very good 5 seater. But that is about it.

It will be expensive to run (very low FE), cost a lot for spares if they are available and very hard to sell again later.

If this will be your time-pass car then buy one. Else for all practical reasons, look for something else. A used old-gen Innova will be a better car even when high run.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 11:39   #60
BHPian

I think one bangalore member purchased one recently. Please drive one first then try procuring the parts required for general service or parts that might fail in your ownership. If you feel comfortable with all the above exercises then you can go ahead and besides for 3-5 lakhs you get a lot of car for the money. We have a Chevrolet Spark at home and honestly I wouldn't like to replace it with something newer even with the parts availability. Infact I was told to wait for 2weeks for a strut Mount that costs 300 by the asc and this was after paying in advance for the part. You can pm me if you want to talk at length.
Chimera is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks