Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2020, 09:28   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa XMA Ownership Review

Hello BusyDrive!

Firstly, Congrats on your purchase. My first cousin who resides in Bengaluru has a Hexa XZA and boy-o-boy, the space and the airiness the cabin has on offer is next to none in this price bracket. Not to mention, fantastic choice of accessories that you added - both cosmetic & functional! Wish you many a happy mile with this tremendous machine.

[quote=busydrive;4829434]
Accessories Added

Hexa branded seat covers. Got this from the dealer:
Attachment 2019842

I couldn't help myself but find this small bulge on the Dash (just above the Glove box) - is it the camera angle, the OEM design, a potential defect (sorry!) or it is just me who sees it?

Tata Hexa XMA Ownership Review-hexa.jpg

Last edited by TwistOfFate! : 25th June 2020 at 09:32. Reason: Missed talking about the accessories and editing to avoid duplicate post.
TwistOfFate! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 12:11   #17
BHPian

Congratulations on the brilliant purchase. This car is the best car under 40 lakhs to take a large family on long drives irrespective of whether the roads are highways or ruts.

Having heard so much about this car, when we needed to take parents and in-laws go to Puri from Bhubaneswar, I excitedly booked it on Zoomcar. I expected the ride to be good. But it exceeded my expectations. Totally flat on highways. Totally flat on bad roads. In fact you never knew what kind of roads you were travelling on. Speed breakers weren't an annoyance, they were just childish protusions on the road. A neighbour (who of course owns a Hexa) said, "To me, the most important part of a car is the suspensions". It's then then I realised how important suspensions are. Till then I was focused on the engine, drive experience and interiors.

What surprised me was how I wasn't tired I was after the driving all day. The fat sidewalls and Land Rover inspired suspensions deserve most of the credit for that. L

The only major gripe I had was the handbrake didn't work at all. It's then I understood why cab drivers always park their cars in gear rather than neutral. I thought that might have been an issue with this particular piece, but it turns out most Tata cars have this issue.

That and the fact that I don't usually like any ladder on frame SUV's interiors. Give me a Sedan's quality interiors over a truck's interiors any day.

I'm curious on why you're saying the steering is tight. I felt it to be Hyundai like light.

Anyway, after the drive, my dad (who drives a Ritz) summed it up perfectly: "The feeling of driving a heavy car is just something else"

Last edited by evil_grin : 25th June 2020 at 12:14.
evil_grin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 13:42   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post
The only major gripe I had was the handbrake didn't work at all. It's then I understood why cab drivers always park their cars in gear rather than neutral. I thought that might have been an issue with this particular piece, but it turns out most Tata cars have this issue.
Is it for all models? I am looking to book harrier. I usually drive almost every weekend to Shimla, Himachal Pradesh and I can't have a vehicle without handbrakes. It would be suicidal.
sunnsood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 14:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnsood View Post
Is it for all models? I am looking to book harrier. I usually drive almost every weekend to Shimla, Himachal Pradesh and I can't have a vehicle without handbrakes. It would be suicidal.
I own an XT and I have never faced any issues with the parking handbrake not working. We all know how the zoom cars are maintained , may be the one our friend rented was not maintained properly.
arundeepbv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 15:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Is it for all models? I am looking to book harrier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arundeepbv View Post
We all know how the zoom cars are maintained , may be the one our friend rented was not maintained properly.
I don't know about Harrier. And Tata cars handbrakes eventually end up not working well is what I've heard from people. It's second hand knowledge. Tata owners on this forum should tell us how true it is.

It's quite possible that the issue is only with the not well maintained piece.
evil_grin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 16:29   #21
BHPian

As an owner and driver of Tata cars for the better part of 20 years (originally we had the Indica V2 DLS for 12 years followed by a Vista D90 for the last 7 years), I can safely say that I have never had any issue regarding the handbrake with either car. I always park my car in neutral with the handbrake on and there hasn't been an issue even on steep inclines (like stopping to take photos on the way to Darjeeling). In fact I'm hearing of this problem for the first time. However, for further peace of mind you can also keep the gear engaged as that makes it foolproof.
Neversaygbye is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 21:15   #22
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase ! Hexa is a great value for money buy in my opinion. Wishing you lots of happy miles on it !
Mr.Perera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 21:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistOfFate! View Post
I couldn't help myself but find this small bulge on the Dash (just above the Glove box) - is it the camera angle, the OEM design, a potential defect (sorry!) or it is just me who sees it?

Attachment 2020764
Great catch. Since I am away for sometime I will check this when I get back home in couple of weeks. Maybe a defect.
busydrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 21:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post
I'm curious on why you're saying the steering is tight. I felt it to be Hyundai like light.
Well we have a 2011 I10 in the family and this Tata one is definitely not Hyundaish At parking speed its pretty heavy. XUV has a much much lighter one.
Quote:
Is it for all models?
Guess it was for that car only. Haven't seen this problem in the Tata cars that my colleagues own. I wasn't using the handbrake in manual transmission cars unless its a stop on a incline. However in this one I am using it at traffic signals by moving the gear level to N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Perera View Post
Congrats on the purchase ! Hexa is a great value for money buy in my opinion. Wishing you lots of happy miles on it !
Thank you.

** Mods please help merging this reply with the previous one.
busydrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 21:59   #25
BHPian

Wanted to share some pictures of the touch screen infotainment system that is available in 2019 and 2020 Hexa. The touchscreen is same in XMA and XTA.
It has android auto support which works flawlessly when the phone is connected using a cable to the USB port situated just below the touchscreen system.
Tata Hexa XMA Ownership Review-20200629_145133.jpg
Tata Hexa XMA Ownership Review-20200629_145144.jpg
Tata Hexa XMA Ownership Review-20200629_145148.jpg

The default Android auto screen:
Tata Hexa XMA Ownership Review-20200629_145426.jpg

Last edited by busydrive : 2nd July 2020 at 22:05.
busydrive is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 18:52   #26
BHPian

Update after 5 months. The car has seen very less kilometres. Due to the "new normal" my work related driving has reduced significantly. I also do not go out unless its really needed.
On one of the lazy Sundays got a small battery powered lamp installed which also does 30% of a puddle lamp!
The light isn't bright but atleast gives some illumination.
Have booked appointment for 2nd service next week. Doing it little earlier than 6 months.

Small light where puddle lamps were supposed to be. A metal cover fixed to the door stops the light when the door is closed.
Tata Hexa XMA Ownership Review-img20200525wa0003.jpg
busydrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 11:27   #27
BHPian

Great review of a XMA.

How much did the XTA alloys cost you? Did they buyback the steel wheels?

Is it the BS4 version or the BS6? What was the on road price you paid for the XMA? What was the price difference between the XMA and the XTA post discounts?
Old 23rd August 2020, 16:39   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
Great review of a XMA.

How much did the XTA alloys cost you? Did they buyback the steel wheels?

Is it the BS4 version or the BS6? What was the on road price you paid for the XMA? What was the price difference between the XMA and the XTA post discounts?
Hi Bharatbits,
For me it was a package including alloys seat cover and some more accessories. It came almost 19L
This is BS4. XTA was still costlier by another 3 L.
Old 28th August 2020, 22:05   #29
BHPian

I got my Hexa XM+ model in Dec 2019. It is an amazing vehicle with best in class ride quality and handling. However there are two weak points - headlight and the parking brake. The parking brake just doesn't hold it still on an incline. One must leave the car in gear and should be conscious & cautious in case one is starting the engine from stop on an incline. The next draw back is its headlight. It is beyond my comprehension how a 20 Lakh car can have such miserable headlights. On a highway or on a road where both sides are empty the low beam light just gets dispersed. One will feel running with blind eyes and it is very dangerous in our indian roads. One will have to switch on to high beam but even that is not adequate. Many Hexa owners have upgraded to HID. Rest there is no complaint. Its a solid car and can take on any type of road.
Old 28th September 2020, 22:43   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile_Breaker View Post
The next draw back is its headlight. It is beyond my comprehension how a 20 Lakh car can have such miserable headlights.
Very true. I have also felt the same. Low beam is of no use. I end up using the high beam and lower the throw using headlight leveler.
Many in the Hexa ownership telegram group have moved to HIDs. I am little scared to do as on a new car. Lets see how it goes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks