Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2020, 13:53   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Review: My BMW 630D GT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
A good news is that BMW is planning to finally introduce the BMW connected app in India. Not entirely sure how will they provide it with my car as I believe it will need internet connection, and without an e-sim it doesn't seem plausible so far.

Something totally not acceptable!!! :-
I finally received my "regular" key for the car and to my utter disappointment it came with scratches and scuffs. I have asked my dealer for a replacement, but am yet to hear anything positive from them. Not a good feeling getting a scuffed key for a new car. Attached are some pictures of it. The dealer did give me an "option" of putting a key fob on it - which honestly is not a solution. They also asked me to claim it under BMW secure - not entirely convinced about that either.
Where did you hear the Connected Drive news? Agree on the implementation issues as there is no cellular connectivity built in to Indian cars as far as I know.

The condition of that key is atrocious. Escalate to BMW India and Germany if you need to. Why should you accept something like this, and why should you claim under Secure? No way!
Old 14th July 2020, 13:54   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Now a general query for all the brethren here - The car has done close to 3k kms already and now I am in a serious dilemma - ppf or not ppf. if not ppf then ceramic or just regular detailing every few months?
As someone who has recently gotten his car ceramic coated and is obsessed with how his car is maintained, I would recommend just getting regular detailing done once in every 6 months or a year. While PPF should be out of the question entirely due to the cost associated and hardly any benefits, ceramic coating does seem to make a case for itself on first glance due to its fancy marketing. IMHO though 95% of the benefits and richness associated with ceramic coating lies in the paint correction process before it. If you get regular paint correction and apply a high quality wax every few months, not only do you save a lot of money but also get equal or greater shine compared to ceramic coating. If you wish to get some parts coated, I would recommend just the black plastic trim pieces as ceramic offers good protection for them. Other than that, stick to regular detailing and avoid paying such a bomb for these ceramic services. Your quote of 90k is 3 times what I paid to get my BMW 3 series coated with maintenance coats for 2 years included.

Last edited by dealer : 14th July 2020 at 14:16. Reason: spelling
dealer is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 14:05   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
The button itself has a light, doesn't it?
Off = Low ride height.
Flashing = Ride height change in progress
On = High ride height.
Yup - figured it out last weekend. Though I still feel there should've been some display/animation/visual key on the screens somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Where did you hear the Connected Drive news? Agree on the implementation issues as there is no cellular connectivity built in to Indian cars as far as I know.

The condition of that key is atrocious. Escalate to BMW India and Germany if you need to. Why should you accept something like this, and why should you claim under Secure? No way!
Heard it from BMW people itself. Though they themselves aren't sure how will the implementation work as there is a lot of red tapes they need to cross before they launch it in India.
I have asked the dealer to replace the key under BMW secure - as to be honest the cost they would've incurred to replace would've been close to 40k. They did mention that this claim wouldn't disrupt anything in my BMW secure policy and next year's cost of renewal also wouldn't have any effect either as there is no NCB deductions according to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
As someone who has recently gotten his car ceramic coated and is obsessed with how his car is maintained, I would recommend just getting regular detailing done once in every 6 months or a year. While PPF should be out of the question entirely due to the cost associated and hardly any benefits, ceramic coating does seem to make a case for itself on first glance due to its fancy marketing. IMHO though 95% of the benefits and richness associated with ceramic coating lies in the paint correction process before it. If you get regular paint correction and apply a high quality wax every few months, not only do you save a lot of money but also get equal or greater shine compared to ceramic coating. If you wish to get some parts coated, I would recommend just the black plastic trim pieces as ceramic offers good protection for them. Other than that, stick to regular detailing and avoid paying such a bomb for these ceramic services. Your coat of 90k is 3 times what I paid to get my BMW 3 series with maintenance coats for 2 years included.
This really is helpful. Thank you so much buddy.
samyakmodi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 22:36   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
As someone who has recently gotten his car ceramic coated and is obsessed with how his car is maintained, I would recommend just getting regular detailing done once in every 6 months or a year. While PPF should be out of the question entirely due to the cost associated and hardly any benefits, ceramic coating does seem to make a case for itself on first glance due to its fancy marketing. IMHO though 95% of the benefits and richness associated with ceramic coating lies in the paint correction process before it. If you get regular paint correction and apply a high quality wax every few months, not only do you save a lot of money but also get equal or greater shine compared to ceramic coating. If you wish to get some parts coated, I would recommend just the black plastic trim pieces as ceramic offers good protection for them. Other than that, stick to regular detailing and avoid paying such a bomb for these ceramic services. Your quote of 90k is 3 times what I paid to get my BMW 3 series coated with maintenance coats for 2 years included.
I would recommend ppf 100% for the sole reason that it protects the paint for scratches, damages, rubs etc. Getting a full car is expensive affair, on a darker shade it is highly recommend so bumpers side view mirrors, bonnet etc. Atleast if not the whole car. And go in for self healing ppf and the not the cheaper ones from known brand. I have got it done from 3M on my C Class and its expensive for sure but totally worth it. I will share a pic with you sometime. And I get car detailed every 6-8 months. On my other car Verna in family that's again Black have got ceramic done with 3 years warranty for 23k approx. With all the dust around I would not opt for it again.
Old 14th July 2020, 23:11   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now a general query for all the brethren here - The car has done close to 3k kms already and now I am in a serious dilemma - ppf or not ppf. if not ppf then ceramic or just regular detailing every few months?
I would avoid the ceramic coating at the price you're quoting, it's more than a bit insane. I get that the market might be more limited in Indore, but a great detailer will do it in 20-24 here in Bombay, making 90k look absolutely outrageous in comparison.

Do get PPF, but just for the bonnet, and the bumpers IMO. Regular detailing once every 4-6 months + taking care when cleaning the car (not much water, preferably waterless, with multiple microfiber cloths, and no intensive elbow grease put into it that would leave swirl marks) should leave it looking as good as new.
Old 15th July 2020, 12:55   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet0051 View Post
I would recommend ppf 100% for the sole reason that it protects the paint for scratches, damages, rubs etc. Getting a full car is expensive affair, on a darker shade it is highly recommend so bumpers side view mirrors, bonnet etc. Atleast if not the whole car. And go in for self healing ppf and the not the cheaper ones from known brand. I have got it done from 3M on my C Class and its expensive for sure but totally worth it. I will share a pic with you sometime. And I get car detailed every 6-8 months. On my other car Verna in family that's again Black have got ceramic done with 3 years warranty for 23k approx. With all the dust around I would not opt for it again.
Looking forward to your pictures buddy. Though I am still somehow not convinced on spending close to 2.5 Lacs for a PPF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I would avoid the ceramic coating at the price you're quoting, it's more than a bit insane. I get that the market might be more limited in Indore, but a great detailer will do it in 20-24 here in Bombay, making 90k look absolutely outrageous in comparison.

Do get PPF, but just for the bonnet, and the bumpers IMO. Regular detailing once every 4-6 months + taking care when cleaning the car (not much water, preferably waterless, with multiple microfiber cloths, and no intensive elbow grease put into it that would leave swirl marks) should leave it looking as good as new.
Got a quote from 3M for 26k. Should've spoken to them instead of the other guys - looks like their basic way of quoting is "maatha dekhke tilak lagana"

On my polo GT I had gotten the ceramic coating done, but wasn't much impressed. All the videos showing it to be hydrophobic seemed like a farce as when I tried it on the car a couple of days later - water repulsion was no different than my other cars.

Getting PPF for the bonnet and bumpers - wouldn't it be better to get it for the sides altogether? that's where the biker's usually end up touching - no?

But to be really honest - with the outrageous quotes for PPF - I am somehow now convinced to go with the insurance route for repainting as and when required.
samyakmodi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 13:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got a quote from 3M for 26k. Should've spoken to them instead of the other guys - looks like their basic way of quoting is "maatha dekhke tilak lagana"
Can't blame them for trying! But good god, that was an exorbitant price they quoted. I wouldn't go with 3M for the ceramic, most of their outlets are a bit hit and miss and generally overpriced.

Quote:
Getting PPF for the bonnet and bumpers - wouldn't it be better to get it for the sides altogether? that's where the biker's usually end up touching - no?
The reason I said bonnet and bumpers is because lots of small stone chips will occur naturally over time, and the PPF will protect against it. The bumpers because, of course, it'll generally be your first point of contact against something. You can PPF the sides too, but then it's a question of your appetite and willingness to spend. Personally, I agree with you on the repainting bit. If something does happen, simply get it repainted at BMW with insurance availed. It's what it's there for.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 02:42   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Looking forward to your pictures buddy. Though I am still somehow not convinced on spending close to 2.5 Lacs for a PPF.

Congratulations of such a beautiful car and that smashing shade.

On a car like yours and a shade you have, I'd say PPF. Believe me when I say this I regret not getting the PPF on my Superb, everytime I see a friend's CLS back in Delhi. He had it done in 2018 right after delivery from the showroom keeping the notorious Delhi traffic in mind and from what I remember it cost him 1.9 Lakhs for the entire car. The pricing is just like the high price screen guard people buy after buying a top of the line phone, because it protects the area most prone to damage.
(A 630D GT would be larger in dimensions to the CLS,hence the higher price)

Last edited by octane1002 : 20th July 2020 at 02:46.
Old 20th July 2020, 21:10   #39
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Samyak for acquiring a wonderful machine. She is gorgeous.

Reg PPF, 2L is an insane amount of money for ppf and I think you will be better off getting hood & bumpers ppf'd to protect from stone chips. Keep it shining using wax or Meguiars hybrid ceramic spray which is easy to apply.

I believe car has got an inbuilt sim for connected drive services as mine here in Ireland does. I was told car can do remote software upgrade itself when I get full Idrive 7 for my 530e ( currently iDrive 7 lite is installed). So its a matter of BMW working with an Indian phone provider and get it sorted.

Happy motoring and well wear!
djay99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 16:27   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
Congratulations of such a beautiful car and that smashing shade.

On a car like yours and a shade you have, I'd say PPF. Believe me when I say this I regret not getting the PPF on my Superb, everytime I see a friend's CLS back in Delhi. He had it done in 2018 right after delivery from the showroom keeping the notorious Delhi traffic in mind and from what I remember it cost him 1.9 Lakhs for the entire car. The pricing is just like the high price screen guard people buy after buying a top of the line phone, because it protects the area most prone to damage.
(A 630D GT would be larger in dimensions to the CLS,hence the higher price)
Thank you so much. After a lot of deliberation I think I have now made up my mind. Mostly I would be going for PPF with 3M - ventureshield is what they call their self healing type PPF. Waiting for a quote from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Congrats Samyak for acquiring a wonderful machine. She is gorgeous.

Reg PPF, 2L is an insane amount of money for ppf and I think you will be better off getting hood & bumpers ppf'd to protect from stone chips. Keep it shining using wax or Meguiars hybrid ceramic spray which is easy to apply.

I believe car has got an inbuilt sim for connected drive services as mine here in Ireland does. I was told car can do remote software upgrade itself when I get full Idrive 7 for my 530e ( currently iDrive 7 lite is installed). So its a matter of BMW working with an Indian phone provider and get it sorted.

Happy motoring and well wear!
Thank you so much buddy. I sincerely hope this is the same case here in India. Though the iDrive here is updated only via the dealer so far.

Last edited by samyakmodi : 22nd July 2020 at 16:37.
Old 22nd July 2020, 21:13   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much. After a lot of deliberation I think I have now made up my mind. Mostly I would be going for PPF with 3M - ventureshield is what they call their self healing type PPF. Waiting for a quote from them.
Buddy my suggestion was for self PPF on the Bonnet, bumper, mirrors, and handle bars and it's totally worth it. Full car is expensive, if I wouldn't have taken BSI I may have got it done. Here is a pic where it is slightly scraped and its only the PPF wich is damaged, their is 0 damage to car. Hence recommendation to go for it. This is my first try at PPF and i am extremely happy with the Self healing one.

And will continue to get detailing done every 6-8 months

Hope it helps
Attached Thumbnails
Review: My BMW 630D GT M-Sport-20200718_1018512.jpg  

Last edited by ajmat : 22nd July 2020 at 22:22.
Puneet0051 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 15:34   #42
BHPian

Here is a 5000 km review of the car.

The car has been mostly driven by me all this while and it has thrown up a few niggles in this time.

Here is a small list of things that started acting up.

1. The cameras would stop working of their own.
2. The light carpet stopped working.
3. The buttons to adjust the seats stopped showing their functional preview on touch.
4. The remote control parking would not work sometimes.
5. About a couple of times the car gave a jerk while overtaking.

First 4 of the above mentioned points were all taken care of with a simple reprogramming of the car. Haven't experienced any more jerks - yet.

PPF installation was done but the finishing coat they had done on it (something like wax) attracts a lot of dust.
Yesterday was the day I had PPF to thank as some biker did manage to scrape the car. The PPF got damaged a bit - but absolutely no effect on the car's paint is visible.

So far this car is proving out to be a gem and I would strongly recommend this to anyone who is looking to buy a car in this segment. Yes it looks a bit quirky but is fantastic to drive and been driven around in. The suspensions are quiet soft for the regular use on our roads making it an ideal stress free travel companion. Some may find it a bit too soft when driving it aggressively, but it can all be changed with a press of a button and putting it sports mode. The seat bolsters hug you snug, the transmission becomes super responsive, the suspensions firm up and the engine behaves like a hooligan.

With my relatively high highway runs, the car is giving around 12.4Kmpl with a considerably light right foot and switching it in eco pro mode (though at times I completely forget to do that). I think BMW could code it to always start in Eco Pro mode. So little to worry about when the drivers finally take over the car.

There is one problem I have been facing after using this car all this while. All the other cars in the garage now feel unrefined, rough, uncomfortable, sluggish, loud and an absolute piece of junk whenever I drive them now. Scarred for life?
samyakmodi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 17:56   #43
BHPian

So here is the quarterly update of the car.

Like mentioned above - I did end up installing self healing PPF from 3M on the car, but unfortunately I can still see the minor scratches which haven't healed even a bit. I have a strong suspicion that the 3M dealer installed the regular PPF on my car and charged me for the self healing kind instead. Is there anyway to check it? I tried contacting 3M India for the same but haven't heard from them in over a month. I spoke to the dealer and he said these minor scratches can be easily polished away and all the self healing PPF does is - rectify the swirl marks. I somehow am not convinced one bit.

In other news - I had a couple of punctures in one rear tyre and a crack in one of the front tyres (both Left side) - got them replaced under the BMW Secure policy but had to pay 25% of the replacement cost which came to a hefty 24k!!
I heard from the insurance surveyor that the pirelli tyres (which were on my car) are prone to defects and almost all the claims they receive are of the Pirelli tyres. If there is a problem with the tyres - shouldn't BMW not put them?!?
Now the car is running with 3 different brands of tyres as the BMW dealership couldn't source same brand tyres for the two I replaced. Bridgestone, Michellin and stock Pirelli.
Definitely going to replace all the 4 tyres to the tubeless kinds and totally ditch the RFTs once the car does 25k kms.
Current odo reading is somewhere close to 12k and the first service was done at around 10k when I got the tyres replaced.

So far the car has not thrown any other tantrum and is still a real pleasure to drive.
samyakmodi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 18:41   #44
BHPian

Quote:

In other news - I had a couple of punctures in one rear tyre and a crack in one of the front tyres (both Left side) - got them replaced under the BMW Secure policy but had to pay 25% of the replacement cost which came to a hefty 24k!!
I heard from the insurance surveyor that the pirelli tyres (which were on my car) are prone to defects and almost all the claims they receive are of the Pirelli tyres. If there is a problem with the tyres - shouldn't BMW not put them?!?
Now the car is running with 3 different brands of tyres as the BMW dealership couldn't source same brand tyres for the two I replaced. Bridgestone, Michellin and stock Pirelli.
Definitely going to replace all the 4 tyres to the tubeless kinds and totally ditch the RFTs once the car does 25k kms.
Current odo reading is somewhere close to 12k and the first service was done at around 10k when I got the tyres replaced.

So far the car has not thrown any other tantrum and is still a real pleasure to drive.
Hey, congratulations on your purchase!

I'm not sure if this is a smart suggestion considering the fact that you've just bought the car. But try and change all 4 tyres to tubeless. You will lose out somewhat on the comfort but in the long term you wouldn't have to worry about bulges and cuts. (If anyone thinks this isn't a smart idea, don't hesitate to comment).

Do share some pictures of your steed.
All the best!
Old 15th December 2020, 20:26   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
Hey, congratulations on your purchase!

I'm not sure if this is a smart suggestion considering the fact that you've just bought the car. But try and change all 4 tyres to tubeless. You will lose out somewhat on the comfort but in the long term you wouldn't have to worry about bulges and cuts. (If anyone thinks this isn't a smart idea, don't hesitate to comment).

Do share some pictures of your steed.

All the best!

Hey buddy

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. The tubeless tyres are supposed to be much more comfortable albeit RFTs have their own advantages but mostly they are best exploited not in india.

I do plan to change to tubeless soon.

The pictures are shared on the first page - have a look 😊
samyakmodi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks