Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2020, 09:05   #16
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 Sportz Petrol - Ownership Review

Good Write up

I also recently in Feb this year upgraded my Dad's 10+ years old Swift petrol with the 1.2L Automatic Grandi10.

The 4AT is a breeze to drive especially for city drivings
Dad just loves how smooth the engine is & the gear shift is barely noticeable (wrt the AMT)

However the weak points being the puny sounding horn - barely has cyclist or motorists moving & the dimly lit headlights.
I did read about the headlamp issue being highlighted somewhere, but not the horn.
So, I've got the Minda Trumptone horn (yes I know its loud) but Dad liked the Creta Horn so bought a copy (Creta horn was quoted at ~ Rs 4000 vs Minda @ Rs 600 with 3 months warranty)
Being in NCR, the traffic is unruly & cannot do without honking

Anyhow, will be changing the horns soon, visited my mechanic who's promised without splitting the wires he shall put these new horns into place

Would like to know about replacement bulbs for the Grand
FIAT3031 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 10:54   #17
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase. Do share your ownership experience and some pictures of that beauty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT3031 View Post
However the weak points being the puny sounding horn - barely has cyclist or motorists moving & the dimly lit headlights.
Totally agree with you about the horn.
I'm also considering to get it replaced soon.
Old 17th June 2020, 11:40   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good Write up. However the weak points being the puny sounding horn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatia.D17 View Post
Totally agree with you about the horn. I'm also considering to get it replaced soon.
True. This has been a chronic issue for all generations of i10. My father in law owns a "NextGen Fluidic i10". Even in that one, the horn is meek (same as the Grand i10) and sounds as if its inside the cabin when used!
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 23:07   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bentley View Post
Sorry couldn't get you. Where did you place the blocks exactly? A picture would help a lot!
Hey sorry I wasn’t well so I couldn’t reply. Actually my car is being used solely by my driver to run errands and we are using other cars to avoid contamination. But no worries, I sourced this from GTO’s official review of the Grand i10.

Hyundai Grand i10 Sportz Petrol - Ownership Review-a22d04300ea94177857b3a30712beff6.jpeg

You see these red circles? Just unscrew these rear (not the front) bolts and place an inch thick wooden blocks. That ways, you won’t be couching in much on sitting and the jerks wouldn’t hit on your spine much. You can always consider some extra cushioning (hard foam only.)

Do you mean 'return to centre' action is not present in other cars (or not this much aggressive?) :

It is negligible in other Grand i10’s as compared to mine. I, however, don’t like unwinding it to straight position. I just let go off the wheel a bit and it comes back to straight position and I can always hold it mid-way if I just wanted a little longer turning radius. But this isn’t how an i10 Grand steering is supposed to behave. Checked in with more than half a dozen Grand’s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead148 View Post
As dr.avinash mentioned
Hey, it’s Aviansh!

Quote:
Using 55-60W Philips Night Vision. Avoid the relay+high power way because it’s very sensitive to electrical pokes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatia.D17 View Post
Totally agree with you about the horn.
I upgraded to a Skoda type dual horn. And guess what, in a few weeks I observed that the headlights (when in full beam) shied everytime I pressed the horn.

Didn’t play with higher capacity fuses as the car was given to our driver for doing the odd jobs.

Avoid relay, just go for a louder single horn.
Old 20th June 2020, 12:32   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.aviansh View Post
Hey sorry I wasn’t well so I couldn’t reply.
Hey doc, hope you are doing well now. As much as the world needs you doctors, your own health is important too!

Quote:
Attachment 2018431

You see these red circles? Just unscrew these rear (not the front) bolts and place an inch thick wooden blocks.
I'm afraid this arrangement is very dangerous. 'Strength of seat mountings' is a very important factor in the car being safe in the unfortunate event of a crash. Those mountings are what holds the seat in its place (with strength to accommodate added momentum of human seating on it). Placing these (one inch) blocks weakens the strength of rear mountings (longer the bolt support area - weaker the mount strength). It also makes the front mounting bolts to tilt forward a little, causing them weak as well. Weaker seat mountings mean the seat might come off (due to loose mass - human tied to the seat with seat belt). And inclined bolts mean they're more prone to 'shearing off' (even sudden brakes would contribute to this).

Quote:
Do you mean 'return to centre' action is not present in other cars (or not this much aggressive?) :
Yes, I meant the 'return to centre' is present, but not this aggressive. (I felt i20's steering to be more aggressive than Gi10's).

Quote:
It is negligible in other Grand i10’s as compared to mine. But this isn’t how an i10 Grand steering is supposed to behave. Checked in with more than half a dozen Grand’s.
oh, then I think it has to be an odd issue with the steering motor. Hyundai ASC should be able to solve this.

Quote:
I upgraded to a Skoda type dual horn. And guess what, in a few weeks I observed that the headlights (when in full beam) shied everytime I pressed the horn.

Woah! Surprising! I had installed a similar horn in my Alto, it did not behave this way!
I'm looking to upgrade the horn. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 21st June 2020, 10:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.aviansh View Post

Didn’t play with higher capacity fuses as the car was given to our driver for doing the odd jobs.

Hello Doc, your comment helped as I just got my horns fitted yesterday and highlighted this issue to my mechanic. He also realised the concern and made a direct power supply from battery to the relay (the old horn wiring with the socket was taped to prevent water entering the female socket)

This helped in complete power supply to the relay & preventing the issue as highlighted by you. Attaching pic. (1) horn placement & (2) relay
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Grand i10 Sportz Petrol - Ownership Review-8d610417097847bb8ed51abf44762abd.jpeg  

Hyundai Grand i10 Sportz Petrol - Ownership Review-7e3d4e66e790485485e218ca57f1c672.jpeg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks