Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2020, 13:46   #16
BHPian
 
alphahere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kochi-KL
Posts: 222
Thanked: 297 Times
Default Re: Venue comes home! My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review

Was waiting for a review thread of the Venue Turbo with DCT to pop up. Will be following this closely

I myself was an erstwhile user of the Hyundai DCT while I was in the USA from 2017 to 2019 when I owned an Elantra Sport. That was a stonker of an engine 1.6L with 201hp. But the 1.0L Turbo is probably the best we will get in India. The DCT definitely has its quirks but it seems reliable if taken good care of. I drove it an equivalent of 65000 kms in 2 years before I sold it. The only problem that it gave me in 2 years was a slight judder when starting off from a standstill.
alphahere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 14:17   #17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 20
Thanked: 77 Times
Default Re: Venue comes home! My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review

Dear XAOS636,

Thanks for this nice review and wishing you miles of happiness with your Venue.

I wanted to ask a question on the DCT specifically.
When I was comparing between Amaze AMT and Venue DCT, I read on a few forums about the Dry Clutch DCT Gearbox having heating issues during prolonged usage in stop and go traffic. Do you have any such concerns from your short ownership till now ? I am assuming in your place as well you may encounter similar driving conditions.

I see now Hyundai increasingly using this gearbox in more of their models like Verna, Creta so i am sure they are putting their might behind the DCT. Besides the sheer number of customers opting for the DCT speaks volumes.

To be fair, the test drive I had was really nice and there was a perceptable difference between the CVT and the DCT their shift nature and traffic behaviour.
swarnava.ch is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 16:34   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 85
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: Venue comes home! My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review

Congrats on your prized possession! Very nifty car, I might say! I did like the 1.0 TGDI DCT with its seamless gear shifts. Paddle shifters are sorely missed! This car would have been a hoot with the paddles.
Like you mentioned, Hyundai loves to do its cost cutting in areas unexpected at this price point of the DCT SX+.
The lack of rear discs, auto dimming rear view mirror, rear wash and wiper along with 60/40 seats and rear arm rest are some deal breakers. Nevertheless though, this is a great car and I wish you the happiest of miles to come!
Cheers!
advenk999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 16:59   #19
Newbie
 
frozen.ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Pune
Posts: 15
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: Venue comes home! My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review

Congratulations, Xaos636. GDi Turbo + DCT is one s-w-e-e-t combo to have on a vehicle! I respect you for going in for this configuration when choosing from a plethora of options that the Venue comes with.

Can see you have taken inspiration from the Team-bhp official reviews when preparing this thread, and have to say, you have done a really good job of it!

Hope you enjoy the Venue at multiple venues in the coming years!
frozen.ash is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 18:00   #20
BHPian
 
Xaos636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 144
Thanked: 641 Times
Default Re: Venue comes home! My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
What a review man. Felt like I was reading the official forum review. Extremely detailed and objective. Wishing you a lot of happy kms with the car. If possible, can you share what was the onroad price you paid for it? Also, is this the top end automatic available? If yes, then it does not get a rear wiper?
Thanks a lot for the words Dieselritzer. The on-road was 13.56 with 2 years extended warranty(on top of 3 years standard warranty). And yes, this is the top DCT variant available for purchase and No, it doesn't get a rear wiper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Great review and amazing details in the pictures. The backgrounds look very familiar and then I realized you were also from Kozhikode. Wishing you a lot of happy miles with the Venue. Is the car going to be a KA registration car to be used in Bangalore?
Thanks a lot for the wishes padmrajravi. Happy to find a Kozhikoden here. Its going to be a KL registered car to be used in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
Congrats on the purchase buddy!
I remember the discussions we had regarding choosing the color, but in the end, the important thing is you did not go for the green
I'm surprised that the air purifier went kaput that soon. IIRC the seltos also had a similar issue with theirs. Also I just really wish that the purifier did not take up one cup holder place, that feels like a severe afterthought.
Here's to wishing you many happy more miles with the car!
Thanks man. Yes, I couldn't get along with the green interiors. On the purifier, I guess the same supplier supplies air purifier to KIA and Hyundai and the quality control has been poor for this one. Lots of ones have gone dead in a month. I expected this after reading so many reviews of the same. Hopefully they rectify it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ25 View Post
Brilliant review sir. It's a shame though, that they don't offer the DCT in the top-end variant.
What's with the niggles in Hyundai-Kia offerings as of late? Even the air purifier in my Kia Seltos conked off within a day of the car being delivered.
Wishing you loads of happy miles with this machine. Stay safe, & take care.
Thank you sir. Yes, KIA and Hyundai have same suppliers for the air purifier(and many other parts as well) and that could be the reason these are going dead quickly. Same issue with the new Creta as well I guess. Hope your replaced one is working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamitMukherjee View Post
Perhaps the first ownership review of Hyundai Venue on Team-BHP. Was eagerly waiting for this.
Great write-up, felt like owning the car myself. Wish Hyundai offered DCT version in the top trim- SX(O).
1.0 GDI is a great engine. My only concern in long term ownership (8-10 years) is the turbo. Any idea about its replacement cost or service life?
Thank you Samit. The SX(O)DCT might never come as it could take the cost to over a lakh difference from the SX(O) manual. The SX+ DCT is already costlier than SX(O) manual. As of now, no idea about turbo unit cost or the make. The turbo is located behind the engine and quite a task to see the make of it. Hopefully Honeywell, IGI or some other major brands. If its made in India, it should be cheaper, but if its imported like the Baleno RS' turbo, then it could cost around a Lakh. But there is a lot to go before we reach there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Congratulations on the wonderful acquisition Xaos636. Wishing you & your loved ones unlimited safe & happy miles with the Venue. Great review with nice details and pictures. Loved reading it. Thanks for sharing. Do keep it updated over time into a great long term ownership thread perhaps.
And no - Hyundai has seriously goofed up their feature configuration for the DCT venue. It is not available in what is the real top trim - SX+(O) or whatever it is. And hence - what is a really premium car with a TGDI engine & state of the art DCT - doesn't have an extremely vital rear wash-wipe that entry level hatchbacks also have. I wonder what they were smoking when those tables were finalized.
Thanks a lot Reinhard. I will keep this thread updated for sure. Agree with you on the Hyundai feature list goof-ups. I would have happily paid for that rear wiper and 6 airbags if they had it as an option atleast. Sadly that option isn't there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
I think they didn't want to cannibalize the previous gen creta sales as the pricing of an SX(O) DCT would have been pretty close to previous gen creta petrol automatic prices.
This makes sense actually. But now the 1.5IVT variant of the Creta is 4 lakhs more costlier and the 1.4 TGDI DCT is around 7L more costlier than the top DCT variant of Venue. They could have immediately added the SX(O) DCT variant when the new Creta was launched. Or perhaps they are waiting for the next gen i20 to get launched with same specs to price the Venue SX(O) DCT far away creating a huge gap between i20, Venue and Creta. Who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Congratulations. Good to hear the the 1 liter DCT is a good performer. I was always keen to test drive this engine but somehow could not come to terms with the front looks of the Venue and thus have ended up not driving the car till date. I daresay this engine on the upcoming i20 would be a hoot and a half to drive.
Thank You arindambasu13. You can take a test drive anytime you want, just forget the front looks Agree to that, my thoughts were to wait till the new i20 hits the market, then later went ahead with the Venue as it offers a more comfortable ride quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
Was waiting for a review thread of the Venue Turbo with DCT to pop up. Will be following this closely

I myself was an erstwhile user of the Hyundai DCT while I was in the USA from 2017 to 2019 when I owned an Elantra Sport. That was a stonker of an engine 1.6L with 201hp. But the 1.0L Turbo is probably the best we will get in India. The DCT definitely has its quirks but it seems reliable if taken good care of. I drove it an equivalent of 65000 kms in 2 years before I sold it. The only problem that it gave me in 2 years was a slight judder when starting off from a standstill.
Great to hear that. I did go through many reviews from abroad of the Hyundai DCT gearbox before coming to a conclusion. The export markets does get the Venue with a 1.6L engine, but our ridiculous tax system doesn't like these engines, if I may put it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
Dear XAOS636,

Thanks for this nice review and wishing you miles of happiness with your Venue.
I wanted to ask a question on the DCT specifically.
When I was comparing between Amaze AMT and Venue DCT, I read on a few forums about the Dry Clutch DCT Gearbox having heating issues during prolonged usage in stop and go traffic. Do you have any such concerns from your short ownership till now ? I am assuming in your place as well you may encounter similar driving conditions.

I see now Hyundai increasingly using this gearbox in more of their models like Verna, Creta so i am sure they are putting their might behind the DCT. Besides the sheer number of customers opting for the DCT speaks volumes.

To be fair, the test drive I had was really nice and there was a perceptable difference between the CVT and the DCT their shift nature and traffic behaviour.
Thank you swarnava for the words. Dry clutches are going to overheat, especially in humid conditions with heavy traffic. I did a test drive of around 25kms inside city with 35 degrees outside temperature which lasted just above an hour and the gearbox temperature(test drive car had this feature, new cars doesn't) never went above half. The primary thing to do is to shift to Neutral when stopped in traffic, avoid creep function for long time(use accelerator pedal instead) and maintain a small distance from the car in front of you. I am not saying these would fully avoid the overheating issues, but I think it could help.
As you said, its also good to see a long list of cars with the same engine+gearbox combination and the soon to be launched i20 and KIA Sonet would also be using the same combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by advenk999 View Post
Congrats on your prized possession! Very nifty car, I might say! I did like the 1.0 TGDI DCT with its seamless gear shifts. Paddle shifters are sorely missed! This car would have been a hoot with the paddles.
Like you mentioned, Hyundai loves to do its cost cutting in areas unexpected at this price point of the DCT SX+.
The lack of rear discs, auto dimming rear view mirror, rear wash and wiper along with 60/40 seats and rear arm rest are some deal breakers. Nevertheless though, this is a great car and I wish you the happiest of miles to come!
Cheers!
Thank You advenk999. Hope the Verna paddle shifters are a direct fit on the Venue as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen.ash View Post
Congratulations, Xaos636. GDi Turbo + DCT is one s-w-e-e-t combo to have on a vehicle! I respect you for going in for this configuration when choosing from a plethora of options that the Venue comes with.
Can see you have taken inspiration from the Team-bhp official reviews when preparing this thread, and have to say, you have done a really good job of it!

Hope you enjoy the Venue at multiple venues in the coming years!
Thanks a lot for the words frozen.ash. Of course I have taken leafs out of various Team BHP reviews, afterall these are the only reviews I am following these days to get a more clear idea about the cars.
Xaos636 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 19:10   #21
BHPian
 
alphahere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kochi-KL
Posts: 222
Thanked: 297 Times
Default Re: Venue comes home! My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
Dear XAOS636,

I wanted to ask a question on the DCT specifically.
When I was comparing between Amaze AMT and Venue DCT, I read on a few forums about the Dry Clutch DCT Gearbox having heating issues during prolonged usage in stop and go traffic. Do you have any such concerns from your short ownership till now ? I am assuming in your place as well you may encounter similar driving conditions.

I see now Hyundai increasingly using this gearbox in more of their models like Verna, Creta so i am sure they are putting their might behind the DCT. Besides the sheer number of customers opting for the DCT speaks volumes.

To be fair, the test drive I had was really nice and there was a perceptable difference between the CVT and the DCT their shift nature and traffic behaviour.
This DCT does tend to have heating issues. Hyundai have tried their best to work around scenarios that can cause clutch pack heat buildup but of course we as users can contribute best to prevent this from happening. For example, they have taken care to program the clutch to disengage if it encounters resistance and the wheels do not turn at all on pressing the A-pedal. So a hard launch by pressing the brake and a-pedal is out of the question because the clutch engages for a split second and it releases again when it senses the resistance.

It is during the transition between the stopped condition and full creep speed that the clutch slips and heat generates; so it is best to avoid repeatedly putting the car in this situation by having the foot off the brake completely as much as possible when the car starts moving. What we can do in traffic is to let some space build in front and then start moving forward at full creep speed and above. Same situation when climbing slopes at very slow creep speeds which is to be avoided. This applies to AMT as well.

Sometimes when it shifts from 1st to 2nd at slow speeds, it tends to get confused and this leads to a very perceptible delay during which it feels completely dead. It's like it has already gone out of 1st and before engaging 2nd it is pausing to think: "Should I engage 2nd now or should I go back to 1st?" It can catch you off guard when pulling out in front of other vehicles on the road. Even though this happens very rarely but it still is sort of a dangerous behaviour. But the moment it catches the correct gear it will just take off and leave everything else in the dust.

Also this DCT is a bit finicky when we are trying to avoid wheelspin while starting off on very slippery surfaces like snow/ice. If it is a MT or slushbox, it is possible to modulate the power delivery using the clutch pedal or the brake but not so in the DCT.

All of these characteristics will only come to light as we spend more time with it and we will tend to get used to it as time passes. For a totally carefree drive, it has to be a slushbox. The DCT and AMT need more understanding on their nature to allow us to take more care of them.
alphahere is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 19:18   #22
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Venue comes home! My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review

Congratulations . This is a very comprehensive review of the venue . The DCT is here to stay I guess and hopefully gets acclimatized to Indian driving . I read with interest the point made about not pressing the accelerator in a climb to hold . Although holding the parking brake is the right thing , sometimes people are struck on a traffic jam on a steep underpass or on a mountain road . I found the DSG on my SKODA Laura exceptional on this . Any gear box should be trouble free and I hope DCT , holds its foot on our conditions .
bracesdoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 19:24   #23
BHPian
 
turbowhistle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Berlin - Mumbai
Posts: 118
Thanked: 236 Times
Default Re: Venue comes home! My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
His is the Auto top-end variant and it does not get the rear wiper. I am very confused about the way the Indian market vehicles have several key features cheery picked and assigned between different variants where it makes no sense at all. Very frustrating to a potential customer IMO.
Agreed, We booked Turbo Petrol in SX(O) and would have got the DCT if few other features were available. Not sure why Hyundai guys are smoking while deciding features for variants, must be very strong stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
This DCT does tend to have heating issues. Hyundai have tried their best to work around scenarios that can cause clutch pack heat buildup but of course we as users can contribute best to prevent this from happening.
Yeah, it would take sometime to get used to this gearbox. I hope Hyundai learns from the real time examples and the facelift takes care of this.
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 19:53   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 268
Thanked: 657 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Venue comes home! My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review

Hey team BHP, another exceptional official trst drive.

Is what I wanted to say when I read it. I honestly thought it was an official review and it was only the lack of the "smaller but significant" things that made me look up the sub forum.


Lovely car, somehow I missed the official TD but this made up for it.

Just one question, the wheel arches look empty, you plan on upsizing a bit?
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 22:54   #25
AZT
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Bombay
Posts: 98
Thanked: 524 Times
Default Re: Venue comes home! My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
The list of cars that made into my list were -

1. VW Polo GT TSI with Torque Converter.
2. Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza ZXI Plus AT.
3. Hyundai Creta SX 1.5 IVT/KIA Seltos HTX IVT.
4. Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT.
Fantastic review. The colour looks great, I am now curious to see the green one you mentioned. Regarding the above list, was the XUV 300 not in contention purely because of gearbox. I'm guessing they are losing out on many customers because of that.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 23:26   #26
BHPian
 
ashvek3141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Goa
Posts: 118
Thanked: 206 Times
Default Re: Venue comes home! My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review

Fantastic review Xaos636! You have covered pretty much everything in so much detail.
Like I had mentioned earlier, the 1L turbo + DCT is a LOVELY, LOVELY combo. You simply love driving this around. Packs a good amount of punch!
Wish you many miles with this beauty.

P.S.: If I’m not wrong, the 2nd service interval is 10k KMS / 12 months. There is no service interval @ 5k / 6 months.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 30th June 2020 at 23:38.
ashvek3141 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 00:11   #27
Newbie
 
RBalaM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Venue comes home! My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review

Congratulations Xaos636.

Thank you for a well written and detailed information, Felt like I was reading an official Team-Bhp review. Wishing you many safe and enjoyable miles ahead.

Regards,
Bala
RBalaM is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 08:30   #28
BHPian
 
Xaos636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 144
Thanked: 641 Times
Default Re: Venue comes home! My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracesdoctor View Post
Congratulations . This is a very comprehensive review of the venue . The DCT is here to stay I guess and hopefully gets acclimatized to Indian driving . I read with interest the point made about not pressing the accelerator in a climb to hold . Although holding the parking brake is the right thing , sometimes people are struck on a traffic jam on a steep underpass or on a mountain road . I found the DSG on my SKODA Laura exceptional on this . Any gear box should be trouble free and I hope DCT , holds its foot on our conditions .
Thank you bracesdoctor. Agree with the hill start assist. Its a boon for new drivers as well. It is not going to roll back whatsoever and its going to move forward as well when you release the brakes. My wife is also driving the car around and she has been absolutely appreciating this feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Hey team BHP, another exceptional official test drive.

Is what I wanted to say when I read it. I honestly thought it was an official review and it was only the lack of the "smaller but significant" things that made me look up the sub forum.

Lovely car, somehow I missed the official TD but this made up for it.

Just one question, the wheel arches look empty, you plan on upsizing a bit?
Thanks a lot Stribog. Comparing my review to the official Team-BHP review is a great appreciation for me personally. And yes, I was too lazy to cover the smaller things and add work from home issues to that. Tyre upgrade isn't immediately on the list, but yeah I got to see what are the perfect upgrades possible without compromising on ride quality and will surely update here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Fantastic review. The colour looks great, I am now curious to see the green one you mentioned. Regarding the above list, was the XUV 300 not in contention purely because of gearbox. I'm guessing they are losing out on many customers because of that.
Thank you sir. The XUV300 wasn't considered because it does not have an automatic option for the petrol variant. On the green shade of the Venue, I think you can identify the dark green interiors of the 'Forest Green' color variant of the Venue in the below video. The doorpads, dashboard, seats etc. are in a shade of dark green. The exterior color does look like black from some angles and the interiors are more greener in person than in the video.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Fantastic review Xaos636! You have covered pretty much everything in so much detail.
Like I had mentioned earlier, the 1L turbo + DCT is a LOVELY, LOVELY combo. You simply love driving this around. Packs a good amount of punch!
Wish you many miles with this beauty.

P.S.: If Iím not wrong, the 2nd service interval is 10k KMS / 12 months. There is no service interval @ 5k / 6 months.
Thank You ashvek. Good catch about the service intervals. I forgot to update it in the review. Thank you for that. Now I am wondering if I should do an oil/oil filter change in the 1st service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBalaM View Post
Congratulations Xaos636.

Thank you for a well written and detailed information, Felt like I was reading an official Team-Bhp review. Wishing you many safe and enjoyable miles ahead.

Regards,
Bala
Thank You Bala. Comparing my review with the official Team-BHP review is an honor to say the least.
Xaos636 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 19:26   #29
BHPian
 
ashvek3141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Goa
Posts: 118
Thanked: 206 Times
Default Re: Venue comes home! My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
Thank You ashvek. Good catch about the service intervals. I forgot to update it in the review. Thank you for that. Now I am wondering if I should do an oil/oil filter change in the 1st service.
I donít really feel itís necessary to change the oil during the 1st service. For these modern cars I feel 1500 kms is nothing. Anyway, I would suggest to stick to the manufactureís reccomendations with regards to this. Should be fine.
ashvek3141 is online now  
Old 1st July 2020, 21:05   #30
BHPian
 
midazolam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: new delhi
Posts: 51
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Venue comes home! My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review

Congratulations on the wonderful car, wish you and you loved ones countless safe and happy miles with the car.
Does any one have any information on the LED upgrade that Hyundai is offering?
midazolam is online now  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks