Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2020, 16:08   #1
BHPian

Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!

Greetings BHPian's and all the readers. Hope everyone is home and safe in this difficult time. This too shall pass.

Welcome to the ownership review of my new Hyundai Venue 1.0 T-GDI(SX+) with Dual Clutch Transmission!

Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-img_4062.jpg

- Great Engine with an impressive mid-range.
- Interior quality, the overall fit and finish
- Solid built quality
- Quick shifting Dual clutch transmission
- Loaded with features. Blue-link, sunroof, wireless charging etc.
- Comfort on Indian roads, balanced handling characteristics
- 2 airbags and ABS with EBD, TCS, HSA as standard for DCT models
- Futuristic looking MID display
- A fast 8inch infotainment system with Appple CarPlay and Android Auto, comes with Arkamys sound mood as well.
- ISOFIX mounts as standard
- Rear adjustable headrest
- Decent service centres
- Driver rear view monitoring using rear view camera
- Useable dead pedal

Dislikes
- No rear wash and wipe for the top DCT model
- No 6 airbags,not even as optional
- No 60:40 split seats
- No adjustable driver armrest on this variant(Planning on getting this soon)
- Rear looks absolutely Hatchback-y
- Missing auto dimming IRVM
- No steering reach adjustment
- No UV cut glasses.

Requirement and Introduction
Budget: 10-15 Lakhs
Body Type: Compact SUV/Hatchback
Fuel: Petrol
Transmission: Automatic

The need for an automatic was already here before I knew it since my better half was struggling with the manual gearshifts and half clutch control. After more than an year of complaining, we decided to upgrade from our current car, the Maruti Suzuki Baleno RS. My primary consideration was fun to drive on the highway with atleast the same midrange as the Baleno RS. Quickly shortlisted a few cars at home during the lockdown period thanks to the global pandemic. The list of cars that made into my list were -

1. VW Polo GT TSI with Torque Converter.
2. Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza ZXI Plus AT.
3. Hyundai Creta SX 1.5 IVT/KIA Seltos HTX IVT.
4. Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT.

1. VW Polo GT TSI
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-polo-gt.jpg

Brilliant car. Now and then. But the same old sloppy service from the sales team. I went to ‘Phoenix VW Calicut’ after 3 years and had the exact same experience as the previous one. Its like if you want it, get it. Or else, look elsewhere. A promised call back which was supposed to come the next day of my visit comes after 5 follow ups from my side, that too a week later. Disastrous management by the Calicut Phoenix Volkswagen team. 3 years and its still the same, and now with strong rumors they are shutting down(Its just a hear-say, I am not sure about this, hope they continue the business). They said that the Polo GT TSI with Torque converter will come by May half, then it became late May, then last week of June, and now they say it could take 3 to 4 months. They never had a GT TSI DSG for test drive and I had informed them that I wouldn't purchase the new 1.0 TSI with torque converter without a test drive. They told that they cannot help in that case as most cars are delivered without any test drives. The Phoenix Volkswagen team has 3 or 4 showrooms across North Kerala which is spread across 4 districts and they cannot get a test drive vehicle for customers. See Volkswagen India, this is why you are losing customers. Not even the new 1.0 TSI manual is available for test drive when I last checked with them. I had to skip a Volkswagen once again in the span of 3 years. Simply put, I love their cars, but the destiny says I cannot own one.

2. Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza ZXI Plus AT
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-brezza-petrol.jpg

I called up ‘Indus motors Calicut’, one of the authorised Maruti Suzuki dealerships in Calicut and the sales team had a really good fellow named Rahul who was very calm and seemed more than happy to let me drive the Zxi Plus AT. He brought the car home and I was told that I can drive as much as I want. The new 1.5L NA petrol engine is calm and quite, too quite for my liking. The thing which did not connect me with it was the gearbox. A 4 speed torque converter at this age and time! The car drives absolutely fine in the city, but I wasn't impressed with the overall performance of the car, the fit and finish was the same as my Baleno RS and the cockpit was actually a downgrade from the Baleno's. That was it and I informed Rahul about the same. He always keenly listened to me on my needs and understood that I would like a quicker car and asked me to reach out to him for any future purchases. He did follow up a couple of days later to check if there was any chance that I was coming back to Brezza. I still believe this is why people still buy a Maruti in India(There isn't any other reason for me to get one).

3. Hyundai Creta SX 1.5 IVT/KIA Seltos HTX IVT
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-creta-seltos.jpg

Yes, both of these were way over my budget. I primarily considered these when an online portal listed these variants at 16.5L on road. But things went out of mind when I called both the dealers and both the cars were close to 17.5L on road and was way out of my budget. I really liked the Seltos more than the creepy looking Creta and to add, the engines were not too impressive on the paper as well, but yeah a test drive could have given me a better idea about how the engine is, but since I couldnt extend my budget anymore, these 2 were out of the list.

4. Hyundai Venue SX+ DCT
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-venue.jpg

Called ‘Apco Hyundai, Calicut’ and Mr. Adarsh, the sales executive, a very active person listened to my needs and he suggested it would be better for me to get the Venue with 1.0 turbo GDI than the Creta equipped with 1.5NA IVT as the Venue 1.0 was a much quicker car. He came home and gave me a short spin and boy I was impressed. The mid range was impressive and the manual mode of the DCT was super quick and responsive. I had put the reliability concerns of the DCT to bed by then. There wasn't much fun to drive cars around in that range, minus maybe the Ford Ecosport. I had to let go of the Ecosport because of the glaring omission of features on the titanium plus AT variant(Sync3 being the top missing feature) and both the Ford dealers in Calicut had shut by then, meaning I have to travel around 200kms to get a test drive. Not practical at this point of time.

I asked Adarsh for a longer test drive of the DCT and he was more than happy to give me the same. I drove the car for a considerable amount of time and concluded that this was it. Thanks to Adarsh from Apco Hyundai for going a step further and giving me a longer test drive inspite of the global pandemic and safety concerns.

Booking Experience and Delivery

I immediately booked the car after the long test drive by paying Rs.10,000. They had Denim Blue in stock and needed a week for any other color. I was primarily looking at Polar White or Dark Green, but Family strictly wanted the Denim Blue, but I somehow convinced them to the Forest green till I saw the interiors of it. The entire dash, steering, door-pads, seats etc where finished in dark green . I for one who loves black could not digest this at all and hence went ahead with Denim Blue which comes with all black interiors.

In between this, I had a change of mind to go for Polar White. The lockdown imposed at Chennai from June 19th to June 30th meant that I would have to wait longer to get the car and scrapped this plan and went ahead with the Denim Blue. This is the updated model which comes with low line TPMS and Alternate Management System(AMS). I was allowed to the yard and had checked the car with the Team-BHP checklist in hand. After everything, I took a pic of the VIN number and sent it to Adarsh to block the car for me and went ahead and paid the rest of the money online. It took 2 days for temporary registration process to get completed and took delivery on June 20,2020.

Picking my car from the yard after PDI. Lots of blue to add confusion
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-1-first-view-all-blue-cars.jpg

Before PDI, Adarsh had the car cleaned after it was standing in the June rains for a few days. More on this later
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-1-pdi-1.jpg

Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-1-pdi-2.jpg

During Delivery. Did not get my Family for the ceremony, thanks to Covid-19. No risks taken
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-delivery.jpg

After reaching home
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-front-3.jpg

Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-front-1.jpg

Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-front-2.jpg

The rear section of the Venue reminds me of a hatchback
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-car-rear.jpg

The turbo badging
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-car-rear-turbo-badging.jpg

The lights and the grill, headlight gets cornering function too which works really well
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-drl-1.jpg

The DRL's
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-drl.jpg

Closer look at the grill
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-grill.jpg

Indicators placed very high from the headlight, making it easy for oncoming vehicles to notice it
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-indicator.jpg

Projector foglamps
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-fog-lamps.jpg

The tail lamp. Its beautiful once lit
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-rear-tail-lamps-action.jpg

With the side indicator ON
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-rear-indicator.jpg

The reverse lamp. Red surround is the reflector
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-reverse-light.jpg

Front door opens wider than the rear door
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-doors-open-wide.jpg

Request sensor is present only on the driver-side door handle
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-driver-handle-gets-request-sensor.jpg

The DCT badging
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-dct-badging.jpg

The Engine Bay is clean
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-engine-bay.jpg

Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-engine-bay-1.jpg

No cladding's on this one
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-engine-bay-2.jpg

After a small detailing session
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-care-1.jpg

Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-care-2.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 30th June 2020 at 11:03. Reason: Please avoid using bold text for captions
Xaos636 is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 16:10   #2
BHPian

re: Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!

Mirrors are decently sized and offers a great view of what's happening behind
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-mirror-1.jpg

Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-mirror-2.jpg

Gets a shark-fin antenna
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-shark-fin-antenna.jpg

And... A sunroof!
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-sunroof-1.jpg

Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-sunroof-2.jpg

Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-sunroof-3.jpg

The alloys are decent looking. Wheel Spec is 215/60/16 shod with CEAT SecuraDrive tires. Export model gets same design alloys, but 17 inch
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-alloy-front.jpg

Rear gets drum brakes, export variant has discs all round
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-alloy-rear.jpg

The Rear view camera is superb under daylight, but strictly average at night, gets the DRVM which lets you ON the camera while driving
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-rear-view-camera-1.jpg

Camera placed very neatly
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-rear-view-camera-2.jpg

Interiors

Let's start with the very chunky, easy to hold steering wheel and the decently laid out instrument console. On the left of the steering, you have infotainment system controls and on the right you have instrument console controls, along with Cruise Control
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-cockpit-1.jpg

One of the best interiors in the class to look at. A view from the back
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-entire-front-1.jpg

A closer look
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-entire-front-2.jpg

The seats are all black and offers really good comfort, especially on the lower back. Its not too soft and spongy like the Baleno RS. I just love black interiors and not planning on a seat cover since the stock seats look so good to me. A very usable center driver armrest with storage space is provided. SX(O) manual gets sliding armrest
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-seats-1.jpg

The rear seats. Missing the 60:40 split seat function and center armrest. Its only available in the SX(O) manual variant. Rear legroom is strictly average and much smaller than my Baleno RS
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-seats-2.jpg

ISOFIX mounts are standard
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-isofix-marking.jpg

Driver seat is height adjustable, and have a lengthy travel as well, making it easy for short drivers
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-driver-seat-adjustments.jpg

Seat belt is fixed and not height adjustable! A glaring omission
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-non-adjustable-seat-belt-height.jpg

The fuel lid release lever, the seat adjustment lever and the floor mat hook
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-levers-fuel-carpet-holder.jpg

A much needed rear AC vent, can adjust the flow of air coming out and has an additional charging port lower to the panel
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-rear-ac-vents-charger.jpg

The door panel, the quality is above average and plastics are hard. SX(O) manual gets leathers to rest your hand
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-door-switches-1.jpg

A closer look at the mirror controls and power window controls
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-door-switches.jpg

The rear door panel with bottle holder
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-rear-door-area.jpg

Push button start, traction control OFF button, headlight leveler and instrument console brightness adjuster
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-switches.jpg

OBD port
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-obd-console.jpg

The wiper controls and Headlight/indicator controls. Its one of the best quality ones I have seen on Indian cars
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-stalk-1.jpg

Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-stalk-2.jpg

Pedals are well spaced out. A very useable dead pedal has been provided as well
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-pedals-1.jpg

Steering is adjustable only for height and not for reach. Way more cars below this segment gets it
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-steering-height-adjustment.jpg

The bootspace. I do not have the exact capacity in numbers, but its certainly bigger than my Baleno RS
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-boot-already-occupied.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 30th June 2020 at 11:07. Reason: Please avoid using bold text for captions
Xaos636 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 20:47   #3
BHPian

re: Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!

Console starts with this self check and all the lights are lit. You can see the lowline TPMS warning light. The TPMS feature was added to the Venue earlier this year
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-meter.jpg

Reminder for service. First service is at 1500kms or 2 months, 2nd at 5000kms/6 months, 3rd at 10,000kms/1year and the rest in the span of 10,000kms/1 year from the previous service
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-meter-0.jpg

The drive info. Hold OK button on the steering to reset
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-meter-2.jpg

The total accumulated info. Hold OK button on the steering to reset
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-meter-3.jpg

Fuel economy figure display. I am getting around 13kpl now with 90% city drives. Realistically expecting around 8-11kpl in Bangalore city traffic
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-meter-4.jpg

This display pops up when you are using the gear lever which makes things easier as you don't have to look at the gear lever to know which gear the car is in. In drive mode, gears are shown from D1 to D7
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-meter-5.jpg

In manual mode, only the numbers 1-7 are shown depending on which gear you are in
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-gears-shown-manual-mode.jpg

The steering controls. Made of high quality materials!
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-switches.jpg

The glovebox is small, but has cooling function
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-glove-box.jpg

Climate control knobs and wireless mobile charging pad. Extremely happy they did not put a touch screen or buttons here for climate control. Knobs are the way to go as its easy to use while driving
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-climate-control-switches.jpg

The gear lever design is neat and the gear positions are lit in blue. As per the service manager, you can put in the chunky gear lever of Creta 1.4T-GDI if you find these too small for your liking
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-climate-control-switches-2.jpg

The 8 inch touch screen infotainment system with a super responsive screen and non-laggy interface
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-info-3.jpg

Equipped with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto in the top 2 variants
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-info-4.jpg

The center console design is to everyone's taste. Its very decently designed and the 8inch screen has many widgets which can be displayed as shown. Here the time and the music playing is shown simultaneously. The star(*) button between the setup and media is customisable and you can use it for any function available on the infotainment system. Right now I have assigned it for DRVM(Driver rear view monitoring) to quickly see what is happening behind. Very useful in rains especially when you don't have a rear wash and wipe
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-info-1.jpg

I found the infotainment system way advanced from the Baleno RS unit and has lot many features as well. The bluelink tech is very useful too, and with the BlueLink app configured, you can start the car for a set period of time, set the AC temperature, check the status of the vehicle including various sensors, shows the location of the car, shows the speed and route of the car it has traveled on a daily basis, average speed, distance to empty etc.
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-bluelink.jpg

The IRVM doesn’t have the auto dimming feature, which I so much loved on the Baleno RS. It houses 3 buttons though - SOS button will place an emergency call to the Hyundai customer care, the button with the tow truck will call Hyundai Roadside Assistance and the third button will launch BlueLink
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-irvm.jpg

The air purifier. Air quality is shown via the indicator lamp. Red= very bad, yellow= bad, green= average, blue= good. Surprised that it got conked off on the 4th day of purchase, with barely 250kms on the odo. Have sent it for warranty replacement. Looking at the complaints online, I came to understand the quality/lack of testing Hyundai has done on this purifier. Most people have this dead within a month of purchase. Not fair Hyundai!
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-air-purifier.jpg

The reading lights and sunroof control button. These are made of good quality materials
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-sunroof-control-light.jpg

The passenger side sunvisor gets a vanity mirror and driver side gets a ticket holder
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-vanity-mirror.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 30th June 2020 at 11:10. Reason: Please avoid using bold text for captions
Xaos636 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 12:00   #4
BHPian

Engine and Performance

Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-engine-bay-1.jpg

The heart of the Venue is a 998cc inline 3 turbo charged petrol motor and churns out a healthy 120PS@6000rpm and 172NM of Torque between 1500-4000rpm. It's officially called the Kappa 1.0 Turbo GDI, and gets a direct injection fueling system, electronic waste gate actuator, a variable oil pump, oil spray jets for the pistons from the crank side and dual VVT.

Push the start button and a cold engine fires up usually till ~1400 rpm and settles down well at ~900 rpm. As I am comparing this with the 1.0 Boosterjet with similar technology, I would say that this engine is slightly more buzzier than the Boosterjet and slightly less refined too. A noticeable buzz is present when craking and while at idle, which is the usual characteristic of an inline 3 motor, but I think the Boosterjet was a bit more refined than this one. Put the gear knob into D mode, release the brakes and the car starts moving without any fuss. The turbo lag could be noticeable for the experienced guys out there, atleast till ~1400-1600rpm or very slow speeds. On the Boosterjet, the lag wasn't much felt, probably helping the fact might be the lower weight of the car. But that is where things change. When you start moving and hit the turbo range around the ~1600rpm mark, the Venue's T-GDI simply outshines the Boosterjet in performance. The mid-range is so solid that it hits triple digits in the blink of an eye. I haven't tried much speeds above that since the engine is breaking in and I am doing mostly city drives now.

The T-GDI loves to be revved hard. The DCT transmission is quick to respond to your accelerator inputs, but not yet in the DSG territory. If you ask me to choose between the DSG or the DCT, my first choice would be the DSG, however the DCT would be a close second in this class with all other automatic transmission equipped cars falling below these two. When you drive slow and calm, you feel that the dual clutch transmission is mostly tuned for efficiency(probably long term reliability too) because it quickly shifts to 2nd gear at just under 10kph, and 3rd gear around 30kph and by this rate the DCT shifts to 7th gear as soon as you touch ~68-70kph. But hit the pedal to the metal, the DCT shifts from 7th to 4th or 3rd depending on the input and is too fast to move ahead with a really good thrust note coming from the engine, which has already scared my wife a few times. In slow moving traffic though, the car stays in D2 till 2kph and only shifts to D1 at 1kph or when the car is stopped. But even a small accelerator from 2kph in 2nd gear makes the car to lunge forward without much drama.

The manual mode is very helpful for the enthusiast in you as you control the gears here, its not exactly a sports mode, but pretty close to it. I did not see manual mode up-shifting without input even at 5000rpm, but it downshifts whenever required. The auto up-shift should be present at redline which I need to check later on proper roads.

When driving, its more like the car already knows which gear to shift-to before us and this helps massively inside city. A very light steering and decent front visibility even when the seats are at the lowest position(My height is 5'10), I found driving the car is very easy, and makes it much better with creep function in traffic. The manual does say not to use creep function for longer period of time in the traffic as it could overheat the DCT gearbox. It also explains to maintain a gap between bumper to bumper traffic to probably let more air in to cool the dry clutch DCT. Its always good to learn that Hyundai is taking some precautions about this to reduce the number of gearbox failures and the sales advisors are also trained to explain these to the customers. Further, the company has provided a placard for those owners who never read the owner’s manual. Placard images below.
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-dct1.jpg

Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-dct-2.jpg

The NVH levels of the Venue makes me feel that the car is from a couple of segments above compared to the Maruti's out there. Once you cross the 2000rpm mark, the motor is extremely refined and hardly heard inside the cabin. The total car feels that its way too powerful in this 2000rpm range and a small input on the accelerator would see it strive forward like a horse. This should make the Venue super easy and fun to drive on the highways for which I am waiting for. Paddle shifter's would have been icing on the cake, and they have introduced them on the new Verna with the same engine gearbox combo. I am not sure if its a direct fit, hope someone tries it and gets it successful.

Wheels and tires
Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-alloy-front.jpg

The Venue SX+ DCT comes with 16" alloy wheels shod with 215/60 section CEAT SecuraDrive tires and I have seen some Venue’s sporting MRF Wanderer tires as well, like in our official review. A simple search gave me and idea that these CEAT tires where customized and upgraded just for the Venue and hence I am eager to see how it does. These are my first ever CEAT tires on any of my vehicles. So far I haven't pushed the car on any type of roads and hence its too early for me to comment on the tires.

Quote:
Amit Tolani, vice-president - Marketing, Ceat said: “It’s a pleasure to partner with Hyundai once again for the Venue. We are glad to deliver SecuraDrive Tubeless tyres as per Hyundai’s expectations of low rolling resistance for excellent control at high speeds while maintaining safety and comfort of the passengers and driver.”
Ride, Handling and Suspension
The Venue uses a McPherson strut suspension with coil springs at the front and a coupled torsion beam at the rear. The large potholes are slightly felt inside in an otherwise comfortable suspension setup. Anything under ~70kph offers you an absolutely delightful ride quality. The potholes and speed breakers can be rolled over with ease without the occupants knowing much of it. I did feel a bit of body roll at times, but nothing of a deal breaker in anyway. The car is equipped with electronic stability control (ESC), vehicle stability management (VSM) and hill assist control (HAC) which makes things that much better.

The power steering is super-light and butter-smooth to operate at slow speeds. My wife took a while to get used to it as slow inputs meant quick direction changes. Its a size smaller than most Maruti's and hence I found it very easy to use. The steering weighs up as speeds climb, much better than any other Hyundai out there. With a decent ground clearance of ~190mm, I am happy that it can take on most of the Indian road conditions.

Headlights
I am right now not in a stage to comment on the headlights as I havent used the car much in dark conditions. But the first impressions are rather positive and the headlight lits the road in front pretty well. If one is not satisfied with it, Hyundai itself provides a much better LED headlight option at around 4k-6.5k as an accessory, so that people who thinks the stock lights aren’t enough has options from Hyundai itself. For now though, I think the Venue headlights are atleast as good as the Baleno RS ones(not the LED ones on the facelift, but the halogen ones), so I wont need an immediate upgrade here.

Brakes
The Venue has discs up front and drums at the rear, as expected. ABS with EBD is standard here and the front disc is huge in size as well. But I found the all round disc brakes of the Baleno RS much superior to the Venue. I am not complaining as the brakes on the Venue does what its intended to do, but Hyundai should have atleast provided the turbo variant with disc all round as they have the export variants fitted with them. I would have liked better feedback from the brakes, but as the odo now is too low, I hope it gets better once the pads and disc sets in. Its just the cost cutting measures I believe to not provide all round disc brakes.

That's all I have for the initial ownership report. Hope everyone stays safe and thank you for your time

Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-113.jpg

Venue comes home | My Hyundai Venue Turbo-GDI DCT Review | EDIT: 65,000 km up & SOLD!-112.jpg

Last edited by Xaos636 : 29th June 2020 at 17:35.
Xaos636 is offline   (63) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 07:07   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 07:18   #6
BHPian

What a review man. Felt like I was reading the official forum review. Extremely detailed and objective. Wishing you a lot of happy kms with the car. If possible, can you share what was the onroad price you paid for it? Also, is this the top end automatic available? If yes, then it does not get a rear wiper?
Dieselritzer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 07:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Great review and amazing details in the pictures. The backgrounds look very familiar and then I realized you were also from Kozhikode. Wishing you a lot of happy miles with the Venue. Is the car going to be a KA registration car to be used in Bangalore?
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 07:43   #8
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase buddy!

I remember the discussions we had regarding choosing the color, but in the end, the important thing is you did not go for the green

I'm surprised that the air purifier went kaput that soon. IIRC the seltos also had a similar issue with theirs. Also I just really wish that the purifier did not take up one cup holder place, that feels like a severe afterthought.

Here's to wishing you many happy more miles with the car!

Cheers
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
What a review man. Felt like I was reading the official forum review. Extremely detailed and objective. Wishing you a lot of happy kms with the car. If possible, can you share what was the onroad price you paid for it? Also, is this the top end automatic available? If yes, then it does not get a rear wiper?
His is the Auto top-end variant and it does not get the rear wiper. I am very confused about the way the Indian market vehicles have several key features cheery picked and assigned between different variants where it makes no sense at all. Very frustrating to a potential customer IMO.

Last edited by krishnaprasadgg : 30th June 2020 at 07:45.
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 09:16   #9
BHPian

Brilliant review sir. With the demise of the ageing Ford Ecosport with the Ecoboost engine, you've picked quite a good offering from Hyundai. It's a shame though, that they don't offer the DCT in the top-end variant.

What's with the niggles in Hyundai-Kia offerings as of late? Even the air purifier in my Kia Seltos conked off within a day of the car being delivered. Thankfully, Kia was able to ship a new unit, interestingly from Chennai. So, Hyundai and Kia aren't as separate entities as we perceive them to be as.

Wishing you loads of happy miles with this machine. Stay safe, & take care.
BZ25 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 12:04   #10
BHPian

Perhaps the first ownership review of Hyundai Venue on Team-BHP. Was eagerly waiting for this.
Great write-up, felt like owning the car myself. Wish Hyundai offered DCT version in the top trim- SX(O).
1.0 GDI is a great engine. My only concern in long term ownership (8-10 years) is the turbo. Any idea about its replacement cost or service life?
SamitMukherjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 12:27   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
Greetings BHPian's and all the readers. Hope everyone is home and safe in this difficult time. This too shall pass.
Congratulations on the wonderful acquisition Xaos636. Wishing you & your loved ones unlimited safe & happy miles with the Venue. Great review with nice details and pictures. Loved reading it. Thanks for sharing. Do keep it updated over time into a great long term ownership thread perhaps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
I suggest you use the Carwale.com onroad pricing quote page. Its 100% correct and you'll get the exact OTR price for any car you are interested in. It gives a break-up of the costs too & it will always match with what the showrooms will give you on paper. You'll be able to see whats the insurance component in it - the one thing that you have a chance to do serious bargains on. All other parts of the OTR price are exact in Carwale.com quote. (First hand experience over last 2 years.)

And no - Hyundai has seriously goofed up their feature configuration for the DCT venue. It is not available in what is the real top trim - SX+(O) or whatever it is. And hence - what is a really premium car with a TGDI engine & state of the art DCT - doesn't have an extremely vital rear wash-wipe that entry level hatchbacks also have. I wonder what they were smoking when those tables were finalized.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 12:31   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

And no - Hyundai has seriously goofed up their feature configuration for the DCT venue. It is not available in what is the real top trim - SX+(O) or whatever it is. And hence - what is a really premium car with a TGDI engine & state of the art DCT - doesn't have an extremely vital rear wash-wipe that entry level hatchbacks also have. I wonder what they were smoking when those tables were finalized.
I think they didn't want to cannibalize the previous gen creta sales as the pricing of an SX(O) DCT would have been pretty close to previous gen creta petrol automatic prices.
sv97 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 12:39   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
I think they didn't want to cannibalize the previous gen creta sales as the pricing of an SX(O) DCT would have been pretty close to previous gen creta petrol automatic prices.
Of course in the end it comes to segmentation and pricing, no doubt. But then - whoever decided to remove a safety feature and keep some other less vital ones deserves a salute. Anyway - don't want to hijack a wonderful ownership thread.

Sorry.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 12:58   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Of course in the end it comes to segmentation and pricing, no doubt. But then - whoever decided to remove a safety feature and keep some other less vital ones deserves a salute. Anyway - don't want to hijack a wonderful ownership thread.

Sorry.
Agreed they should have provided the safety features at this price point.

sv97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 13:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. Good to hear the the 1 liter DCT is a good performer. I was always keen to test drive this engine but somehow could not come to terms with the front looks of the Venue and thus have ended up not driving the car till date. I daresay this engine on the upcoming i20 would be a hoot and a half to drive.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed