Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2020, 08:12   #31
BHPian

re: My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Regarding above quote, In Tigor long pressing the middle button (3 seconds) unlocks the boot. Pressing lock and unlock together activates a kind of autocop alarm which you can use to find your car etc. Can't believe they skimped out on this, definitely double check the long press boot opening part.
I meant the middle button as well but mistakenly wrote the other combo, sorry for that. The alarm works fine, so does everything else. When you long press the middle button indicators blink once as though something happened and when in actual nothing did. As you said they skimped out on this.

I'm not sure what extra hardware or software programming is required to add this to the keyfob. If anyone has any idea I'm all ears.

Last edited by janakiram_m : 2nd July 2020 at 08:21.
janakiram_m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 13:04   #32
BHPian

re: My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up

A noob question, I understand that the sports button has been removed. Does it mean that the engine now has the permanent map of what the sports button used to achieve? The last time I drove the new Tigor, I asked the SA and he was as puzzled as I was to see a blank dummy button instead of a functional sports button.
Old 2nd July 2020, 13:29   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
A noob question, I understand that the sports button has been removed. Does it mean that the engine now has the permanent map of what the sports button used to achieve?
More like permanent map of the city mode. If you want to shift at specific RPMs, use the manual mode. I think that's what Tata meant with this deletion.
janakiram_m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 14:37   #34
BHPian

A nice and crisp review. Congratulations on the red beauty! Looks smokin hot. Wish you and your family a lot of happy and safe miles with the Tiago!

I love the Tiago to bits. Have also seen it being enthusiastically driven on the highway and it looked tight. The 4 star rating, cherry on the cake.

Looking forward to your ownership experience.
TROOPER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 08:28   #35
BHPian

Congratulations and welcome to the Tia-Tribe . Even I too own the Tiago XZ 2016 Petrol model (the first version). Sadly now its rusting at my home. A really superb car fo the price. Drive safe...
vinuchel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 09:33   #36
BHPian

Had an early morning errand with the car. I was parked and waiting for my father when I noticed the unused warning lights in the Digital Instrument Cluster.

Since this unit is shared with the Tigor and Nexon it has lights for Cruise Control, Keyless Entry, Hill Assist and DRLs, but they remain unused because these features are absent for Tiago. I was looking closely at them when I noticed something else.

My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-picsart_073108.27.15.jpg

The white gradient in the cluster was not merely simple dots.It was the Tri-Arrow design element, common with the current gen Tata cars, integrated into the cluster!.

My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-img_20200731_074000__01.jpg

Tata's design team is on another level and truly deserves a standing ovation. Wish this enthusiasm was carried over to the QC team also.

Last edited by janakiram_m : 31st July 2020 at 09:39.
janakiram_m is offline   (99) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 16:50   #37
BHPian

Thank you for your review. Regarding the lights, is the upgrade available from the dealer or outside?

I am looking to get one for my wife. Tomorrow I will be doing a test drive the same XZ+ AMT variant. Dealer has told me that they have white, Red + black and grey + black ready to go. After seeing your red one, we might go for the red dual tone one(as my wife has rejected white).

If all goes well, we should have one before 14th Aug else we will have to wait till navratra's. Let's see how this goes.
sunnsood is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 21:02   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnsood View Post
Thank you for your review. Regarding the lights, is the upgrade available from the dealer or outside?
I haven't enquired with the dealer. Except for one thing it's just a straight swap. The low beams switch off when we put on high beams, unlike in Tigor where both remain on. There is a DIY (Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!) in the forums also.

Dealer may not entertain such swap because wiring is involved and might affect warranty.
Quote:
I am looking to get one for my wife. Tomorrow I will be doing a test drive the same XZ+ AMT variant. Dealer has told me that they have white, Red + black and grey + black ready to go. After seeing your red one, we might go for the red dual tone one(as my wife has rejected white).
Red and Yellow are my picks. If you want to remain low-key and look good I'll suggest the Silver Dual Tone.
Quote:
If all goes well, we should have one before 14th Aug else we will have to wait till navratra's. Let's see how this goes.
Good luck and hope you get a great deal on it. Do share your impressions

Last edited by janakiram_m : 8th August 2020 at 21:05. Reason: Added Link to DIY
janakiram_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 12:37   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
blank dummy button instead of a functional sports button.
Underneath the button, there's still an LED light that'd have lit up the sports mode button in the BS4 version. My button came loose twice. Found it the first time during a cleaning and hope I'll be able to find it during the next cleanup. Thinking of 3D printing something translucent instead of the boring black button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janakiram_m View Post
Except for one thing it's just a straight swap.
We know it was an almost straight swap in the BS4 version because of the post in TBHP. But not sure if anyone has done it with the BS6 version. I very much want to do it, but postponed it to September due to budgeting issues. I have photos of the Tiago and Tigor replacement headlights from when I was at the dealer, if you want to see if they are different anywhere.
Old 9th August 2020, 12:42   #40
BHPian

I think there were two decisions Tata Motors took initially which are still haunting them and affecting sales. We also have to remember that when The Tiago first came out (2016) the market was very, very competitive. The two decisions are i) The gearing is meant for high fuel efficiency so that 5th gear ratio is 0.75 whereas it would normally be between 0.85 and 0.9. ii) They made the engine three cylinder for cost considerations and did not provide for the higher weight of their car so the engine feels underpowered when compared with the competition.

Of course in India in the cities you do not need any more powerful engine and this is more than adequate. I have owned a Tiago since 2017 so I know what I am talking about. My other car is a Honda City 3rd Gen.

For the price and the fully loaded XZ ( which made the other manufacturers change their models with new accessories) I think the car is very good value for money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ25 View Post
Great acquisition sir! It looks good, is relatively practical and is definitely very safe, unlike the other offerings in the segment. Unfortunately, Tata's 'self fulfilling prophecy' (Tata lives up to it's perception of having poor dealerships & niggles in initial batches of cars) has kept customers away from the brand, pushing them towards Maruti Suzuki or Hyundai.

Apart from that commuter engine (Tata's always sucked when it comes to Petrol Powertrains) this is the best car in the segment! Take care & do keep updating this thread.
ashokabs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 14:25   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Had an early morning errand with the car. I was parked and waiting for my father when I noticed the unused warning lights in the Digital Instrument Cluster.

Since this unit is shared with the Tigor and Nexon it has lights for Cruise Control, Keyless Entry, Hill Assist and DRLs, but they remain unused because these features are absent for Tiago. I was looking closely at them when I noticed something else.

Attachment 2036573

The white gradient in the cluster was not merely simple dots.It was the Tri-Arrow design element, common with the current gen Tata cars, integrated into the cluster!.

Attachment 2036574

Tata's design team is on another level and truly deserves a standing ovation. Wish this enthusiasm was carried over to the QC team also.
Excellent attention to detail from the Tata design tram. The new tiago looks absolutely killer rather than the old "cute" design. Pratap Bose and team has gone a step and miles ahead in terms of design and detailing. The Altroz is another example of stunning design.
Great job Tata just improve your after sale services and your are surely on top.
chiefpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 18:36   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuhairZain View Post
We know it was an almost straight swap in the BS4 version because of the post in TBHP. But not sure if anyone has done it with the BS6 version. I very much want to do it, but postponed it to September due to budgeting issues. I have photos of the Tiago and Tigor replacement headlights from when I was at the dealer, if you want to see if they are different anywhere.
The swap was done in the first version of the Tiago. Since then Tata had given projector lights in the top variants upto launch of BS6. If they have carried over the electricals from the 2019 models the swap would be even simpler. Do post details of the swap after you've done it.
janakiram_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 21:56   #43
BHPian

Quote:

Dealer may not entertain such swap because wiring is involved and might affect warranty.
I got Tigor headlamps in my Tiago from authorized TASS. Parts to wiring.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 19:41   #44
BHPian

Update : 6 Months and 3600 kms up.

Went for an early morning visit to the nearby temple and only when wifey put the "prasadam" on the car, that I remembered something.

It's ½ Birthday to Manjadikuru today, 12th of September.

My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-img_20200912_17452201.jpeg

Running has been low owing to the pandemic. I couldn't even do the long customary temple trip we usually do in a newly bought car. Some random observations/comments about the car since the last update:
  1. Engine is fairly refined and is not audible on daily city use. I was gradually pushing the RPMs after the first service. Got the revs to touch 4.5k on each gear upto 4th and there are no vibes felt on steering or cabin. The fifth gear is the laziest of the lot. Engine gets really vocal past 3k RPM. I am still unsure if the engine has a balancer shaft installed because I haven't come across any official Tata statement regarding the same. Considering economies of scale, with engine sharing between Tiago,Tigor and Altroz, it is possible.
  2. AMT is doing it's thing as it should. I use Auto only in the city. Village roads and highways are always Manual mode for me. The auto mode would feel jerky if you intend to race everyone till the next signal. Be sedate or the Auto mode will make you sedate.
  3. Drivability is excellent with the suspension deserving the top prize. Steering and its feedback is perfect. Car feels planted at any speed and gives you great confidence. Haven't yet found any speed bump or pothole the ground clearance couldn't handle.
  4. NVH levels are average. The mirrors, be it IRVM or ORVM tend to shake about in unevenly paved roads and it is shaking sound is audible if windows are down. Cabin shakes at startup. Sound insulation is below average and you'll be hearing traffic, wind and tyre noise most of the time.
  5. Music system is simply awesome. Everyone who got into the car loves it. I think Tata made it so that it compensates the sound insulation. Only once has it frozen on me which was in the first month of ownership.
  6. AC is a chiller. This is the other thing people positively comment, other than the music system, when they are in the car.
  7. Digital Instrument Cluster is fine but a needle for the tachometer would have been better. Service center didn't reset the MID warning so I'm greeted with a service due message every morning.
  8. 2nd Service was completed with the cost only for sanitisation charges. General checkups and cleaning only. Next one, will be at the one-year mark. Placed an order for the front liners of the rear wheel arches. Tata had silently deleted it from the 2019 model onwards.
  9. Fuel economy is improving with figures of upto 20.5 kmpl on highway runs and around 13-15 kmpl in city drives. I haven't checked city only tank to tank but MID shows 16 kmpl. MID is generally optimistic by 2-2.5 kmpl.
  10. Footwell Lights were installed as a DIY (DIY: Footwell Lights Install in a Tata Tiago). It works great and there are no issues till date. Next plan is for Boot area light using the same power source.

My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-img_20200823_185557.jpg
  11. Paint quality is questionable. Not the quality as such but the thickness of the coat. It's very thin and minor scratches will go through the paint coat.

My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-img_20200829_161007.jpg

This is the roof and I'm unsure how this scratch came to be.
I have been seeing a lot of new Tiagos on Kerala roads. It was reported that Swift was outsold by Tiago in one month. The pandemic situation is the main factor and instances of people prioritising safety over kmpl is also increasing. A better engine and after sales are the only things against Tata now in this segment.

Parting shot, waiting for me outside my office. One of the best angles of the car. Thick haunches on a hatchback.
My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-img_20200912_094614__01.jpg
janakiram_m is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 09:08   #45
BHPian

Hi Janakiram,

I am in the process of shortlisting a car for my FIL and family.

I almost ended up shortlisting Wagon R 1.2 Vxi ( O ) since he was willing to stretch his budget upto 6 Lakhs from the initial 5.5 Lakhs

Meanwhile I stumbled upon your lovely ownership review, looked up for prices and the XT variant fits the budget at 6.05 Lakhs and looks like immense value.

The 4 star rating being the cherry on the top

Now, would you recommend this over Wagon R ? His requirement as below :

Usage : 60 % State Highways, 40 % Tier 3 City
Passengers : Mostly 3, occasionally 5 adults
Maintenance : Low
Reliability : High - since he stays a bit far from City
Trasmission : Manual
Driver Height : 5'9"

Thanks in Advance and the big brother looks like a beast !
Sk8r is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks