Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2020, 20:42   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Hi Janakiram,

I am in the process of shortlisting a car for my FIL and family.

I almost ended up shortlisting Wagon R 1.2 Vxi ( O ) since he was willing to stretch his budget upto 6 Lakhs from the initial 5.5 Lakhs

Meanwhile I stumbled upon your lovely ownership review, looked up for prices and the XT variant fits the budget at 6.05 Lakhs and looks like immense value.

The 4 star rating being the cherry on the top

Now, would you recommend this over Wagon R ? His requirement as below :

Usage : 60 % State Highways, 40 % Tier 3 City
Passengers : Mostly 3, occasionally 5 adults
Maintenance : Low
Reliability : High - since he stays a bit far from City
Trasmission : Manual
Driver Height : 5'9"

Thanks in Advance and the big brother looks like a beast !

Although the question is not for me but having owned multiple iterations of WagonR in the past and currently driving a Tigor AMT, I thought of sharing my views.

The only area where the WagonR would shine is the strong after sales and the lovely 1.2 lt engine.

In almost every other area, the Tiago shines. Be it the safety aspect, the ride quality, the music system, the ride quality, high speed stability etc.

If you still want to stay with Maruti Suzuki because of constraints on service center availability in your area, I suggest you rather consider the Ignis. The Delta version should come under your budget (well almost after considering the discounts) and the Ingnis is a comparatively safer car in the Maruti stable with 3 star rating.

Last edited by DCEite : 15th November 2020 at 20:44.
DCEite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 21:59   #47
BHPian

re: My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Now, would you recommend this over Wagon R ?
I would recommend the Wagon R. Your FIL would appreciate the much easier ingress/egress. On the engine front, considering 3 occupants most of the time, Wagon R is the favorite. The looks are also neutral, if he has that concern over the Tiago's sharp looks and colors. Feature wise they are almost same except for the superb ICE in Tiago. Suspension is slightly stiff in Tiago which might affect the drive feel for a senior person.

Cost, reliability and VFM quotient is same IMO. But you cannot ignore the safety issues especially after how the Heartect platform performed in the GNCAP last week.

Thanks for the compliments Sk8r. Hope I was helpful and do inform the final decision.
janakiram_m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 10:04   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
The only area where the WagonR would shine is the strong after sales and the lovely 1.2 lt engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by janakiram_m View Post
I would recommend the Wagon R. Your FIL would appreciate the much easier ingress/egress. On the engine front, considering 3 occupants most of the time, Wagon R is the favorite
The beautiful K12 engine is the only thing that is keeping me tied up to Wagon R honestly. On the other side, our family is in love with the Red colour as seen in this review and the quality of interior which is top notch and a class above Wagon R.

The 4 star vs 2 star rating is always in the back of my mind tho !

I am thinking it will be a difficult decision. Anyways, thank you for your inputs, will share the decision soon hopefully
Sk8r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 01:03   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Need to check if Altroz OEM leather wrap is available to be installed
Any update to this? Does Tata's ASS have this or something?
Old 7th December 2020, 19:30   #50
BHPian

Update : 9 months and 5000 kms

Reached a milestone of 5000kms in a span of 9 months. By far the slowest vehicle in our family to do so.

My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-img_20201205_173655.jpg

I had ordered rear wheel arches when I went in for the 2nd service at Trivandrum Motors, Karikkakom on 22nd August. Late September I called them for an update and they said order got cancelled and a fresh one has been made. First week of November, I get a call informing the arrival of the parts and since I was occupied with work asked to hold on to the part till December first week.

Mahitha, the executive with whom I ordered the parts in September was very prompt in informing me the arrival of the parts and again she called me on 4th December to know when I'll be available for the installation. Booked the appointment for 6th December 3:30pm and reached there on time.

They have a small service area in the basement of the showroom itself where they do the first three free services only.

Manjadikuru was taken over by Akhil, the service advisor and Samad, the technician for fixing the parts. I had lots of luggage in the car so asked them if I can stay with the car while work was being done and they obliged.

My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-img_20201205_154433__01.jpg

The points to fix the arch are already there since this was a deletion done by Tata from 2019. Five points required nuts and washers and one slot required a clip.
Here is the before:
My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-img_20201205_154541.jpg

And after:
My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-img_20201205_155436.jpg

Two points hidden inside and above:
My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-img_20201205_160242.jpg

Here's the final cost and part numbers. Total Rs. 1,207/-
My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-img_20201205_195615__01__01.jpg

This could've been a simple DIY and parts are available from Boodmo.
My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-picsart_120707.14.31.jpg

Sounds of loose gravel hitting the inside wheel arch is gone and a very very slight decrease in tyre noise. Experience at the showroom was nice. I made good rapport with SA and executives with this weird part request and installation. Hoping it would help in future service experiences!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Any update to this? Does Tata's ASS have this or something?
Sorry I missed your post. I did enquire with the dealer but no luck. So now the objective is to find a good shop with quality leather wrapping skills. Or the entire steering could be changed to Tigor's and with that Cruise Control could also be included in the picture. But I won't go that far, certainly not while in warranty. BCM update would also be needed in that case.

Last edited by janakiram_m : 7th December 2020 at 19:37. Reason: Reply to gusfring
janakiram_m is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 21:43   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry I missed your post. I did enquire with the dealer but no luck. So now the objective is to find a good shop with quality leather wrapping skills. Or the entire steering could be changed to Tigor's and with that Cruise Control could also be included in the picture. But I won't go that far, certainly not while in warranty. BCM update would also be needed in that case.
Right, first option is possibly the easiest to do. I spoke to my dealer about the wrap today, he suggested aftermarket, saying that it'd work out cheaper even if Tata were offering something like that.

Quote:
if you look closely can find that the climate control's solar sensor is not centering with it's cowl.
Right, I forgot to mention this, it is the same in mine too

Your review was one of the determining factors behind me going for the Tiago, so thank you
gusfring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 16:56   #52
BHPian

Since the 5000km mark was completed, decided to get the wheel balancing and alignment checked. Went to the shop where we do Harrier's work. 5th Wheel, the name of the shop, located at Mavelikara. They are quick to do what's necessary and economical also. Rs. 900 in total for the Rotation, Balancing and Alignment.

My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-img_20201211_164652__01__01.jpg

Wheels rotated as FR > RL, FL > RR , RL > FL and RR > FR.

Parting shot Odo @ 5490 kms
My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-picsart_122004.45.03.jpg
janakiram_m is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:00   #53

I booked the xza plus and waiting for delivery. And I am also waiting for each of your updates.

I was looking for a hatchback that could run by my wife also. At first the automatic car was not my choice. I didn’t like Tiago when I first tried the manual model. So I decided to take the Ford Figo. One day a salesman from Tata came to my home with an automatic car and I liked it. That is how my decision changed.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th January 2021 at 13:05. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 24th January 2021, 23:25   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janakiram_m View Post
Since the 5000km mark was completed
Thank You for this excellent review. This thread has very good information regarding the XZA+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokulakrishnan View Post
I booked the xza plus and waiting for delivery.
How long is the waiting period now? Also kindly share the approximate on-road price @Kochi

I'm considering the purchase of an automatic hatchback and this is one of my short listed model.
Old 30th January 2021, 16:46   #55
BHPian

Hey Janakiram! We bought a Tiago XZA in November 10th, 2020 and your review of your Tiago has been of much help and I thank you for that!! The car is used by my sister for going to work and it has done 5600 kms as of today.

The car threw a check engine lamp (will attach the image) a couple of times (almost 1500 kms between the two times). I thought it was a service due reminder but realized it was a check engine lamp on looking it up in the manual. This warning went away after the car is turned off and the key is removed and then its restarted again.

The AMT warning also came up once while I was driving and the car went into neutral and it also went away when I restarted it. I went to the nearest service center (Kottarakkara) but they told me I will have to wait for atleast 2 hours as I had not booked an appointment and the scanning tools were being used on other cars so I left and was unable to get it checked out again.

Have you (or anybody) had any similar experiences?

And also the car seems to backfire sometimes (not a frequent occurrence though) while down shifting and sometimes while up-shifting. Does this have something to do with the fuel? and should we be concerned?
Attached Thumbnails
My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-20210103_104444.jpg  

BoJack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 16:02   #56
BHPian

Tried my hands in detailing for the first time. I got the 3M Car Shampoo and Liquid Wax from Amazon. Oh man the work involved is literally back breaking. The end results are worth it though.

Roof, halfway done:
My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-img_20210110_094418.jpg

Ooooh...the color Don't mind the bad boy at the back. . I got that W8 Diesel for the weekend from a family friend.
My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-img_20210110_100312__01__01__01.jpg

It was truly mirror like, the red shade and my mobile camera don't do justice.
My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-img_20210110_150939.jpg

Water beading effect. Again red color mask the beading effect to the naked eye from afar.
My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-img_20210112_174206__01.jpg

Odo@6570kms. One year nearing in March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokulakrishnan View Post
I booked the xza plus and waiting for delivery. And I am also waiting for each of your updates.
Hi Gokulakrishnan, hope yours was delivered, the waiting periods seems to be getting longer for certain colors and variants as per the various owner's groups. Hope to see an update soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
Thank You for this excellent review.
How long is the waiting period now? Also kindly share the approximate on-road price @Kochi
Thanks bijuks. From what I gathered from the various owner's groups, the waiting period is between 4-6weeks depending on the variant. Some have reported 8 weeks also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJack View Post
Hey Janakiram! We bought a Tiago XZA in November 10th, 2020 and your review of your Tiago has been of much help and I thank you for that!!

The car threw a check engine lamp... I thought it was a service due reminder.....
the scanning tools were being used on other cars so I left and was unable to get it checked out again.

And also the car seems to backfire sometimes
Hey BoJack. Glad my review was helpful for your purchase decision.

Even though I haven't seen the CEL myself in my car, some owners are reporting such issues. None of them reported any major underlying issues though. But please take time to scan the system for errors next time. Also be ready because TASS will try to charge you for it, so decline payment if that happens.

The AMT accidental shifting used to happen to me in the first few weeks. If your foot is pressing the brake pedal, even at considerable speeds, the shifter will gladly go into Neutral if you accidently push it. If the shift happened without any hand input, check it with service folks ASAP.
janakiram_m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 20:14   #57
BHPian

Happy Birthday Manjadikuru!

Update : 1 Year and 7700 kms up.

I’m a few days late but it’s Manjadikuru’s first birthday!

-With a whole year of fortnightly hometown runs later, just managed cross the 7700km mark. It’s slow going as compared to our other vehicles. The usage pattern and low running was expected and with the ever increasing price of fuel, I’m not really complaining either.

-On a lazy Saturday in February, made Manjadikuru run to the nearby hills at Ponmudi.
My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-img_20210213_165243.jpg

The route and the destination was crowded. Sibling and elder brother to keep company at parking:
My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-img_20210213_165309.jpg

Even with the traffic, I still enjoyed the drive because it was the first time Manjadikuru ever saw a hairpin turn and that too 22 of them.
My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-img_20210213_170256.jpg

Since there was traffic, couldn’t drive very spiritedly and chose to stay in Auto mode all the way. Gear selection by the AMT brain was okay but never close to what I would have done if it was a manual. It holds on to gears when going downhill, unless you give a linear A pedal input, in which case it waits a second and then shifts up. Downshifting on inclines are also expected and slow but you won’t be caught off guard. Crossed the 7000km mark during that drive.
My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-img_20210213_161816.jpg

Returning downhill from Ponmudi:
My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-img_20210213_172228.jpg

-On 27th February, went in for the third service (1year/15000km) at Trivandrum Motors, Karikkakom. Informed the SA that I won’t require WA/WB and to avoid any additional items to billed such as Windshield washer fluids or that sort. Service took the whole day as there were some updates to be flashed also.

Works done:
  1. Oil Change with Mobil Super 3000 0W20 Fully Synthetic ₹1925
  2. Oil Filter and some consumables ₹193
  3. Update for the ICE system.
  4. Update for the ECU
  5. Update for the BCM
  6. Update for the AMT

-I have done ~ 500km post service and felt the usual new oil smoothness in revving the engine. The fuel economy shown by the MID is seems to more accurate now, earlier it used to be optimistic by 2-2.5 kmpl. I will be able to confirm only after my next full tank fill up. The SA could not answer why there was updates to the ECU and BCM. During my chat with the CRM, he informed me that AMT update was because of an issue reported where the unit won’t switch to A or R from N after slotting the lever. I never faced such an issue but good to know these are being addressed by the manufacturer.

Looking brand new after the service:
My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-img_20210301_142529.jpg

New version of the ICE system:
My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-img_20210227_183532.jpg

-The ICE is now butter smooth to operate. Earlier it used to be a bit slow to respond especially when Android Auto was connected and there was an issue where GMaps used to lag the GPS position by almost hundred metres every now and then. All is well now and there is a new start up animation with the iRA system by Tata and a new home screen with widgets for easy access.

iRA technology startup:
Name:  iRA.gif
Views: 11776
Size:  4.14 MB

-Other than this, there is now customization available for lock screen clock and time can be easily edited with a single tap:
My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-picsart_031805.50.57.jpg

-A noteworthy safety addition with this update is audible warnings for:
  1. Fasten Passenger Seat belts and
  2. 'Take a Break' reminder after 2.5 hrs of driving.
The fasten passenger seat belt chime is still there and this added female voice reminder reduces my job of telling the passenger what the chime is for.

Take a break used to be shown in the MID as a text message earlier but not audible warnings. Now at exactly 2.5 hrs this reminder pops up with audible 'request' and after that a text pop up every 30 minutes.

-Insurance was renewed during the 3rd Service. Magma HDI gave the best quote for the one year standalone OD policy at Rs.6483.

-Total costs, other than fuel, till date:
  • Service Costs...........₹ 2,118
  • Optional Additions.....₹ 3,557
  • WA/WB.......................₹900
  • Total........................₹6,575

-Fuel Costs and Economy:
  • Fuel consumed ~ 510 liters
  • Average FE 15.73 km/liter
  • Highest FE 19.6 km/liter
  • Lowest FE 11.1 km/liter

-In January, I received a call from Tata service informing an update/checking for the headlights has come and I should drop by when possible. So went there after two days for the ‘checking’. They sprayed water through the pressure washer for two minutes on the headlights from multiple angles. No condensation was found and I was informed all is well.

-Most of the likes/dislikes about the car, you would get used to or forget over time. The following are those that still bother me/make me happy after a drive:
  • Color and looks especially when parking between lots of dull looking cars.
  • ICE system and sound quality, every time a favorite track comes.
  • Steering feedback and suspension, be it moving around town or cruising on the highway, it’s properly sorted and stable.
Dislikes:
  • Engine feels so lethargic that it makes speeds north for 60kmph not enjoyable. Overtaking requires planning. Can potter around town all day long without any issues.
  • NVH is average. Wind noises above 60kmph from the ORVMs are big turnoff for me. IRVM vibrates a lot. Engine noise/Outside noise creeps into the cabin more than I would prefer.
  • Missing parcel tray strings and boot area lights.

-Parting shots without the usual spick and span:

My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-img_20210312_124530.jpg
Interesting trivia about the tree in the picture, it’s actually a tamarind tree. A bird had dropped a banyan tree seed on top of the tamarind tree many years ago and it grew there! The roots of the banyan tree drooped down and kids used to play swing on them and with years of playing on them the roots touched the ground and it started growing from the ground up covering the tamarind tree like this. Nature is so awesome!

My 2020 Flame Red Tata Tiago XZA+ Automatic Review | EDIT: 2 years & 15000 km up-img_20210312_111529.jpg
Odo @ 7758 kms
janakiram_m is offline   (61) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 16:47   #58
BHPian

Hi. Excellent update. I bought a Tigor AMT last month and man the audio system lagginess in Android auto was irritating me. When I saw reviews of all Tata cars having the same issues, I got relieved in a way i.e it's not just my unit but glad the update is working fine. Will be going for my first service this month end and should ask them for the updates as you mentioned.
Other than that the car is fine. Performance is fine, not a deal breaker but it's no TSI. Still, much better than some of the AMT I drove before this (yet to try a Hyundai though).
BTW, what is the tyre pressure you maintain?

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 21st March 2021 at 16:50.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 17:48   #59
Team-BHP Support

Aw man, this is one manjadikuru everyone would love to play with! Lovely ownership thread and great snaps too. I loved the facelift’s design more than the first one. Such a peppy car!

Wish you a lovely ownership with the Tiago! Have fun.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 19:05   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
Hi. Excellent update. I bought a Tigor AMT last month and man the audio system lagginess in Android auto was irritating me.
Congratulations on the Tigor! The updated version is dated November so I'm confused why Tata couldn't update the freshly made models like yours from the factory itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
BTW, what is the tyre pressure you maintain?
I keep it at 36psi front and back as recommended. It's a bit high and not supple on bad or uneven roads. My usage is 90% on good roads so never felt the need to tinker with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Aw man, this is one manjadikuru everyone would love to play with! Lovely ownership thread and great snaps too. I loved the facelift’s design more than the first one. Such a peppy car!

Wish you a lovely ownership with the Tiago! Have fun.
Thanks so much! Your ownership thread is one of my favourites on the forum and makes me regret selling our Polo.

Last edited by janakiram_m : 21st March 2021 at 19:10.
janakiram_m is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed