Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2020, 00:41   #181

re: Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAxe View Post
You can never go wrong with White. Lol
Also can anyone verify the price hike that the so called News agencies are claiming.
I had a talk with the GM of the dealership and he said that only the prices of Venue and Grand i10 NIOS are being hiked.
Talked to three different sales executive and they quoted 20,000, 40,000 and 65,000. According to the dealership where I picked up the Creta, they haven't received any memo since the media disclosure last week.
Old 15th January 2021, 00:33   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold

So, after crossing 1,500 kms on the ODO with the ECO mode, I shifted to COMFORT mode.

Feedback on the ECO mode - competent, bottlenecks engine performance to derive maximum fuel efficiency, tailor-made for extensive urban commuting, can be occasionally fun when the A-pedal is shoved down, rubber-band effect felt but at a minimum.

I have driven around 150 kms in Comfort mode, and the marked difference can be felt already. The engine feels more eager in low RPMs, overtaking inside the city is a breeze, 50-60 kmph speeds are achieved sooner, A-pedal mash results in quicker response, no rubber-band effect felt so far on any of those occasions. But yes, the FE number showing in the MID has come down from 13.3 kmpl at the 1,500 kms ODO mark to 12.8 kmpl now.

Fuelio calculated the last fill-up (@1,589 kms) at 11.9 kmpl, and for the fill-up before that it had crossed 12.4 kmpl, so it's a definite that those next 89 kms with the COMFORT mode has slightly brought down the FE numbers.

But, it's marginal.

And for this marginal difference, I can safely say that COMFORT mode is better for urban commuting over ECO mode. You get better pep, engine response, slightly more fun revving this silky-smooth 1.5L NA, and you get to enjoy your drives better. Even if it's an Auto.

Nothing else to report. The occasional mis-functioning of the Head Unit continues, the engine has opened up well, low-end response has improved, the suspension continues to respond well at higher speeds (a bit firm for my liking at crawling speeds, though), and the pano sunroof is adding a lot of "WOW!" factor to my drives. Throughout this season, I have driven mostly with the pano open - it kept the cabin warm and also made the interiors very bright. Engine is completely silent when cruising between the 1,500-2,000 RPM mark.

Mechanicals are behaving just as they should. Braking after the occasional 80-100 kmph jaunt is progressive and as expected - no nasty surprises so far. A no-fuss, no-problem run with Phoenix till now.

Signing off with a pic taken on New Year's Day:

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-fb_img_1610650598898w.jpg

Please excuse the dusty Phoenix on that day.

Ciao!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 15th January 2021 at 00:35.
RavenAvi is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 22:20   #183
Senior - BHPian

@RavenAvi - Very nicely written and detailed review which helped me to know almost every detail of the IVT SX version. Kudos!

Now why did I say almost? Let me explain : Well I have test-driven Seltos IVT last year and wasn't impressed with the rubberband effect during my 10 minutes drive on Bangalore ORR. So I decided to totally strike it off my probable list due to its boring drive.

Fast forward to Creta SX and presence of paddle shifters. It makes me wonder if the paddle shifter can help overcome this issue on the highways specially overtaking, so I am waiting to hear your first hand experience on long highway drive. I am seriously considering SX diesel AT currently and this is the only factor tilting me towards diesel, but obviously I have my own reservations about long term future of diesel cars (green tax, scrap policy and what not), so you can imagine it is not straightforward decision for me. First hand experience would really help me here! TIA

Last edited by Aditya : 9th February 2021 at 06:35. Reason: Corrected typo + removed dotty posting style.
Aviator_guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 11:17   #184
BHPian

Creta IVT is slightly better tuned than Seltos, but the rubber band effect persists.

Paddle shifters are a decent addition but using them is not so easy unless you have experience.. its not very useful within the city in my opinion where you brake repeatedly to stop for traffic or signals. It involves keeping a mental gear count or looking at the MID (bit of a hassle for me as its an 8-speed gearbox). On the highway it does add some power and torque for overtaking but frankly, not much. I found slotting the Gear lever in Sport mode and driving much better than using Paddle Shifters or the Mode Selector.

PS : I completed about 4500Kms in the Creta IVT in less than 5 months (where 2 months the car was not in use) with several outstation trips to Coorg, Mysore etc.
S.Shyam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 04:24   #185

Sir any further review of head lamps throw on highway as have been hearing conflicting view on the head lamps throw. Have booked a diesel SX(O) AT so worried a bit. Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 23:01   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Fast forward to Creta SX and presence of paddle shifters. It makes me wonder if the paddle shifter can help overcome this issue on the highways specially overtaking, so I am waiting to hear your first hand experience on long highway drive. I am seriously considering SX diesel AT currently and this is the only factor tilting me towards diesel, but obviously I have my own reservations about long term future of diesel cars (green tax, scrap policy and what not)
I am quite a laidback driver so I haven't experienced the full rubber band effect of the CVT till now. Pedal to metal, it's definitely there, as has been reported by other owners. But take it easy on the pedal and you won't even feel a thing.

Paddle shifters work by keeping the gears optimum within the running speeds - say you are driving at 50 kmph steadily, and the shifters will allow shifting between 1st and 4th gears only. Pressing the "+" paddle shifter after shifting to 4th will yield no response - the box will stick to the 4th gear. Increase your speeds and then you can shift upwards to 5th, and so on.

I have stuck to D mode only till now, so can't share more. D-mode is easy as the box modulates the speeds by itself. For quick overtakes inside the city, a firm push on the A-pedal while in D mode is sufficient.

In today's world, if your running is more than 50 kms per day, consider the diesel. For all other scenarios, petrol is the way to go, considering the situations we are in now, petrol prices notwithstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Shyam View Post
Creta IVT is slightly better tuned than Seltos, but the rubber band effect persists.
The IVT is tuned for comfort and smoothness. Considering that it is paired with an average-performer of an engine, it's best for city commuters and the occasional highway drive, that too at <100 kmph speeds.

Quote:
Paddle shifters are a decent addition but using them is not so easy unless you have experience.. its not very useful within the city in my opinion where you brake repeatedly to stop for traffic or signals.
True. My Phoenix's paddle shifters are gathering dust.

Quote:
It involves keeping a mental gear count or looking at the MID (bit of a hassle for me as its an 8-speed gearbox).
I thought it was a 6-speed IVT with infinite ratios.

Quote:
On the highway it does add some power and torque for overtaking but frankly, not much. I found slotting the Gear lever in Sport mode and driving much better than using Paddle Shifters or the Mode Selector.
I would recommend this as well. Speeds can easily be modulated by the D mode.

Quote:
PS : I completed about 4500Kms in the Creta IVT in less than 5 months (where 2 months the car was not in use) with several outstation trips to Coorg, Mysore etc.
Whoa, that's some running! The diesel might have suited you more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion View Post
Sir any further review of head lamps throw on highway as have been hearing conflicting view on the head lamps throw. Have booked a diesel SX(O) AT so worried a bit.
I am not satisfied with the high-beam throw of the trio-LED setup. Low-beam is average at best, too. Not sure how it looks for the incoming traffic from the front, but from inside the cabin, it's mediocre. Maybe the LED setup in our Phoenix needs adjustment, or maybe it's just the LEDs inside. Either way, most of my work is done by evening time so I haven't got a chance to check out the high-beams on a long night drive yet. Will get back on this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crossed a small milestone on the 15th of February:

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-img_20210215_214944.jpg

Nearly 7 months - glad I didn't go for the diesel or the turbo petrol!

Just 2 points to report:

1) The Comfort mode has more pronounced rubber-band effect at lower speeds if you want some quick acceleration. The Eco mode, in this regard, is tuned better and is more responsive. Even if the response from the engine + gearbox is better at 30+ kmph speeds, you have to be a bit wary when you are below 30 kmph inside the city and are planning some quick darting and weaving between the traffic. For everything else, the Comfort mode easily trumps the Eco mode for urban commuting.

FE numbers, of course, have been affected. The last 2 fillups have resulted a return of ~12 kmpl as per the Fuelio app, which is a full 1 kmpl less than what the 1.5L IVT used to give in Eco mode. This is with occasional bursts of using the ACC, that too at 25 degrees. Daytime temperatures have not gone beyond 28°C in the afternoons, so the ACC hasn't been needed much yet.

The real test lies ahead when summer hits and we have long periods of 40 degrees in the shade!

Planning to shift to Sport mode once Phoenix rakes in 2,500 kms on the MID screen.

2) The Navigation part of the HU display conked off on the morning of 30th January. This was when I started Phoenix in the garage to head towards my office.

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-1.jpg

Notice the compass's readings on the right?

Clicking on the NAV option from the Options screen showed this:

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-img_20210130_162649.jpg

I waited for it to come back by itself, but it didn't. Shut down and started the HU repeatedly and still, it didn't work. Neither did the voice commands. Come 31st January, and the problem stayed. It was my monthly Closing day so I was busy. By the time I returned home at night, the navigation pane was still blank showing the dreaded dotted circle in the center rotating constantly.

Decided to head to the service center on the morning of 01st February to get it fixed but lo and behold, the Navigation came back by itself upon first crank on that morning. Tested it 2-3 times by shutting down the HU and powering it up again, but it stayed. Thankfully, it has stayed put from that day till today.

Voice commands have also come back and are working. It's still glitchy, as sometimes the voice command window on the HU comes on by itself when there are people inside the car and are conversing. Result - "I couldn't understand the command. Please try again." Annoying.

And, apart from the pesky nature of the Bluelink app which I have highlighted previously, everything else is buttery and smooth.

ODO now stands at 2,074 kms.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 21st February 2021 at 23:04.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 19:00   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

I thought it was a 6-speed IVT with infinite ratios.

- Creta Brochure says 6-speed IVT

- This reviewer says 7-speed

Time - 9:00 minutes

- My MID shows number 8 when using paddle shifters (will ask wife to take a pic of MID from rear seat next time I am driving and post here)

I guess its now an opinion and not a fact!

Quote:
Whoa, that's some running! The diesel might have suited you more.
It is my first car so wanted to go with NA Petrol. Wife has owned 2 diesels in past and was strictly against them.

Quote:
I am not satisfied with the high-beam throw of the trio-LED setup. Low-beam is average at best, too. Not sure how it looks for the incoming traffic from the front, but from inside the cabin, it's mediocre. Maybe the LED setup in our Phoenix needs adjustment, or maybe it's just the LEDs inside. Either way, most of my work is done by evening time so I haven't got a chance to check out the high-beams on a long night drive yet. Will get back on this.
The high beam and headlights in general are quite average. In city i only use high beam as a dipper to annoy high beamers coming from opposite side on roads without a divider. Creta High beams dont seem to help much.
S.Shyam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 07:07   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Fast forward to Creta SX and presence of paddle shifters. It makes me wonder if the paddle shifter can help overcome this issue on the highways specially overtaking, so I am waiting to hear your first hand experience on long highway drive. I am seriously considering SX diesel AT currently and this is the only factor tilting me towards diesel, but obviously I have my own reservations about long term future of diesel cars (green tax, scrap policy and what not), so you can imagine it is not straightforward decision for me. First hand experience would really help me here! TIA
Not commenting on diesel as a choice of fuel as thats a matter of separate debate, but the performance of Creta diesel AT.
So far on highway runs I have not found the need to use paddle shifters or change the Comfort mode even while overtaking . There is enough grunt available for the purpose. On steep inclines, I felt the tuning in Comfort mode dampens things a bit, and to extract fast performance you need to shift to S mode occasionally . As such I felt the paddle shifters are better used during descent, for engine braking purposes. Other than that I have never felt the need to engage them.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 3rd March 2021 at 07:10.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 10:51   #189
BHPian

Quote:
@RavenAvi - Very nicely written and detailed review which helped me to know almost every detail of the IVT SX version. Kudos!

Now why did I say almost? Let me explain : Well I have test-driven Seltos IVT last year and wasn't impressed with the rubberband effect during my 10 minutes drive on Bangalore ORR. So I decided to totally strike it off my probable list due to its boring drive.

I've done a few spirited highway runs and even in Eco mode, I was able to comfortably overtake without much ado. As someone mentioned above the engine has enough grunt (I am talking about my experience with the petrol IVT). Also, I have tried the Lonavala to Pawna route which goes through some steep ghat roads for at least some distance (at least in my opinion). Again, just in Eco mode the engine has enough grunt to pull even when the car is fully loaded with 5 really hefty guys and luggage. I was honestly surprised when it did that without breaking a sweat.
kalpeshc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 16:31   #190
Senior - BHPian

took a test drive of IVT and to be honest, it exceeded my expectation in terms of driving performance. I had done Seltos IVT test drive earlier but was somewhat disappointed. Not sure if Hyundai has changed the engine tuning or what but it felt much peppier and lively than Seltos. It totally changed my perception about the IVT and now I am inclined to pick it over diesel AT. Did anyone else have similar feel driving seltos vs creta ivt or is it just me
Aviator_guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 11:40   #191
Senior - BHPian

Does SX IVT have wireless connectivity for Android Auto. If yes, does it depend on hand set model. I have Samsung S20 so will it work wirelessly ? TIA
Old 19th March 2021, 19:57   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Does SX IVT have wireless connectivity for Android Auto. If yes, does it depend on hand set model. I have Samsung S20 so will it work wirelessly ? TIA
Creta does not have wireless Android auto/apple car play connectivity. You need to connect via USB cable to use the same.
amitshippie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 12:07   #193
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I am facing a peculiar issue with the TPMS on our Creta 1.5L IVT SX(o).
It always shows a figure 2-3 points lower than the Tire Pressure check at petrol pumps. Tried it at multiple spots in the city (Bengaluru) but its still same. And the difference is same on all 4 tires.

I assumed it must a "0" error, but Hyundai Service station says all's well.

Anybody here know what else to check ?

Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 03:18   #194
DVK
BHPian

I have observed these issues propping up when filling up air in some places on the road trips. From my experience, it is mostly to do with different calibrations across the air stations. I usually stick to COCOs for air and petrol otherwise and it is fairly accurate.

The TPMS in our Creta (same model) is very accurate. Even a small puncture which one would dismiss shows up very quickly and accurately in the MID. One of the guys in a reputed tyre shop was adamant that there was no puncture because the tyre was still full and dismissed my theory of a puncture as "electronics are not reliable". Upon my insistence, he did eventually find a small metal bit penetrating the tyre causing a minute leak. I was happy and he was amazed at the accuracy!

I would suggest filling it up at the dealer directly and perhaps try making a switch to Nitrogen. I think it would then give you a good point of reference. If the problem persists, and you notice the air loosing out pressure after a drive, then probably get it checked for any small metal bits.
DVK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 12:20   #195
BHPian

I had some queries for creta owners on the thread:

1. I understand that the first service is mostly an inspection. For your first service, was there any top up required for engine oil or any other part replaced?

2. What is the engine oil used by Hyundai in new vehicles (synthetic or mineral)? I read in the forums that synthetic oil should not be used in the break-in period. Have any of you gone for synthetic oil, if yes then at what duration?

3. The Electronic Parking Brake behaves in an unpredictable manner (or) When i get into the car, EPB shows as engaged. When i get into accessory mode, the EPB indicator is still on. In both the cases, i cannot manually release it. When i start the car and shift out of P, the indicator goes off without me manually releasing the EPB, leading me to worry if i am driving with the parking brake on. Till few days back, it was working normally and i was able to engage and disengage it manually. I can still engage it with the switch but cannot disengage it. Any idea if i'm doing something wrong?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks