Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2021, 20:04   #196
BHPian

re: Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro11 View Post
I had some queries for creta owners on the thread:

1. I understand that the first service is mostly an inspection. For your first service, was there any top up required for engine oil or any other part replaced?
No, not on first service.

Dont know about the oil used.

Quote:
3. The Electronic Parking Brake behaves in an unpredictable manner (or) When i get into the car, EPB shows as engaged. When i get into accessory mode, the EPB indicator is still on. In both the cases, i cannot manually release it. When i start the car and shift out of P, the indicator goes off without me manually releasing the EPB, leading me to worry if i am driving with the parking brake on. Till few days back, it was working normally and i was able to engage and disengage it manually. I can still engage it with the switch but cannot disengage it. Any idea if i'm doing something wrong?
Parking brake disengages automatically once you shift gear out of Parking. And thats how I have been using it so far. Only used the lever to engage, and not disengage as that happens once you put it in D mode.
S.Shyam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 02:22   #197
BHPian

re: Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
So, after crossing 1,500 kms on the ODO with the ECO mode, I shifted to COMFORT mode.

Feedback on the ECO mode - competent, bottlenecks engine performance to derive maximum fuel efficiency, tailor-made for extensive urban commuting, can be occasionally fun when the A-pedal is shoved down, rubber-band effect felt but at a minimum.
What a superb review RavenAvi! It was exciting to read your entire journey right from pre-booking stage. Such a detailed and systematic review will give all media-houses a run for their money! Take a bow, Sir and wish you an exciting and fulfilling journey with your Phoenix ahead .

I have just been accepted into the forum, however I have been following your posts as a guest since quite long. This review is what has helped in finally zeroing-in on the Creta. Had budgeted for the SX earlier, but happy to inform that we have managed to stretch it for the SX(O) IVT now; don't want to repent later

Last edited by Sheel : 5th August 2021 at 09:24. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 23:51   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Nothing else to report. The occasional mis-functioning of the Head Unit continues,
Are you able to use the navigation on touchscreen effectively?

1. I have found the location search to be patchy (perhaps google maps have spoiled us all), you need to enter a lot of text before it zeros in on the intended location.

2. Once the route guidance starts, we cannot see the route ahead of what is shown on the screen. Particularly if you want to get an idea of the turns or markers that you have to look out for. If you touch anywhere on the map, the system thinks you have changed your destination and starts giving you instructions for the point you touched on the map. I could not find a way to return to the original destination selected for navigation unless you re-enter the full text (point no.1).

I have had to abandon the navigation half way many times as it was too cumbersome. And if you are using Android Auto, you can search a location only via voice command (not by typing on the phone or touchscreen)
Totoro11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 00:03   #199
BHPian

Quote:
...I have found the location search to be patchy (perhaps google maps have spoiled us all), you need to enter a lot of text before it zeros in on the intended location.
Experienced this in my cousin's Creta last weekend while navigating to a local destination. We were pulling our hair out by the end of it and just used good ol' Google Maps ultimately! Have seen a lot of people complain about in-built nav systems on various other cars as well. Seems Google Maps is indispensable, at least in the near future

Last edited by IamNikhil : 24th July 2021 at 00:04.
IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 16:31   #200
BHPian

Can any of you confirm that setting the headlights on 'Auto' mode would always keep the DRLs on? Strangely, in my case, Auto keeps all the lights switched off. I thought the sensor is kaput but as soon as I enter a dark area (basement), the 'Auto' mode switches on the main headlights plus the DRLs
Old 27th July 2021, 22:29   #201
BHPian

Quote:
So, after crossing 1,500 kms on the ODO with the ECO mode, I shifted to COMFORT mode.
Feedback on the ECO mode - competent, bottlenecks engine performance to derive maximum fuel efficiency, tailor-made for extensive urban commuting, can be occasionally fun when the A-pedal is shoved down, rubber-band effect felt but at a minimum.
I have driven around 150 kms in Comfort mode, and the marked difference can be felt already. The engine feels more eager in low RPMs, overtaking inside the city is a breeze, 50-60 kmph speeds are achieved sooner, A-pedal mash results in quicker response, no rubber-band effect felt so far on any of those occasions. But yes, the FE number showing in the MID has come down from 13.3 kmpl at the 1,500 kms ODO mark to 12.8 kmpl now.
Excellent review RavenAvi. Believe me, there is no other place (including TeamBHP own Creta review) that has such in-depth coverage of all aspects of Creta SX IVT. Your review is one of the reasons why I have gone ahead with Creta SX(O) IVT. Thanks for all your efforts. Kudos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Experienced this in my cousin's Creta last weekend while navigating to a local destination. We were pulling our hair out by the end of it and just used good ol' Google Maps ultimately! Have seen a lot of people complain about in-built nav systems on various other cars as well. Seems Google Maps is indispensable, at least in the near future
Most of the car OEM have tied up with other mapping companies like TomTom, Here Map etc. Here Map is actually Nokia Here which actually was Naviteq and is currently owned by a consortium of German automotive companies (Audi, BMW, Daimler). Now these mapping services provide data to another service provider, for example, TomTom is providing mapping data to Bing Maps (earlier it Here maps) and Facebook uses Here maps for all mapping relation functionalities but the major issue with the maps is the speed at which updates happen all around and it is impossible for any mapping company to update maps accurately unless it is a community-driven activity. This is where Google Maps pioneer. Every other user have an Android phone (which voluntarily or involuntarily) gives a lot of real-time data back to Google (hence we get the traffic updates) and Google Map Local Guide is a big hit among the users where people keep adding and reviewing places. With Google Map now working very well offline also (especially if you have saved the route offline), I guess nothing beats Google Map + Android Auto combo.
HP-BHP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 18:26   #202
BHPian

Quote:
In other news, I have ordered a set of 7D mats from Motorbasket on good friend and fellow D-BHPian Leoshashi's advice. Price quoted was Rs.4,200/-. All paid and done almost 2 weeks back (on 1st Sept) but I think the parcel was dispatched only a couple days back, as per a telephone call I received on 10th Sept from a courier service person in Delhi. I shall post an update as and when I receive it.
How has been your experience with the mats so far?

Quote:
Motorbasket's shipment arrived.

Front passenger and driver mats. Both separate.
Comes with detachable nomad mats.

Attachment 2057943

Rear section is one piece. Even the center passenger gets a separate detachable mat.

Attachment 2057942
In some of the reviews for 7D mats, i saw users talking about there being no slot for the fuel tank lever in the front driver side mat. Does the Motorbasket mats have the same problem?... can you please share a picture of how the fuel lever looks with the mat?

Thanks in advance.
Old 4th August 2021, 23:18   #203
BHPian

Quote:

2. Once the route guidance starts, we cannot see the route ahead of what is shown on the screen. Particularly if you want to get an idea of the turns or markers that you have to look out for. If you touch anywhere on the map, the system thinks you have changed your destination and starts giving you instructions for the point you touched on the map. I could not find a way to return to the original destination selected for navigation unless you re-enter the full text (point no.1).
When you scroll ahead on the route, there is a navigation icon that appears on the top left corner, this will bring you back to your current location. Didn't have the issue with the destination getting changed on touch.
sanmish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 17:31   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

First off, apologies for not keeping the thread updated. I got really busy with March 2021 Closing and after that, there were so many deaths in our family due to Covid-19 that I went into a bad bout of depression, which might have affected my health.

From end-April, I started having some severe health issues, mainly related to the heart (cardiovascular system). Health didn't get any better even by the best local medical backup all through the months of May, June & July. Had to go to Secunderabad in the first week of August for a full checkup, proper diagnosis and treatment. I feel like I am on the mend now and the meds are working. How effective it all will be, we shall find out in 3 months' time when my next physical review at Secunderabad is up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Shyam View Post
My MID shows number 8 when using paddle shifters (will ask wife to take a pic of MID from rear seat next time I am driving and post here)
That's really weird. At what speed does the "8" get enabled and start showing?

Quote:
Creta High beams dont seem to help much.
In short, they absolutely suck. Other than beauty and aesthetics when seen during the day, they serve no other purpose. The biggest downer - service center says that the trio-beam LEDs are fixed and cannot be adjusted in any way or manner. So we have to live with it, or upgrade to a proper HID kit (if that's possible).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
So far on highway runs I have not found the need to use paddle shifters or change the Comfort mode even while overtaking.
There's enough grunt in the 250Nm diesel to keep the performance seekers happy. And the TC is a superb match to this 1.5L CRDi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Again, just in Eco mode the engine has enough grunt to pull even when the car is fully loaded with 5 really hefty guys and luggage.
This is surprising, because I have found the Eco mode to be the most lethargic of the 3. It's strictly for city usage and the occasional highway jaunt. For a better performance on the highways with the petrol IVT, the Sport mode is the preferred option. I don't like the Comfort mode on highways either. The Creta petrol IVT shines in Sport mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Not sure if Hyundai has changed the engine tuning or what but it felt much peppier and lively than Seltos. It totally changed my perception about the IVT and now I am inclined to pick it over diesel AT.
Glad you liked it. Seems like you drove it with the Sport mode engaged. It has the ability to bring a smile on even a sedate driver's face. I am not sure about the tuning difference between the Kia and the Hyundai, but I am sure that the engine and it's mapping should be the same in both cars. But, just to be sure, I shall check this out and get back.

Quote:
I am facing a peculiar issue with the TPMS on our Creta 1.5L IVT SX(o).
It always shows a figure 2-3 points lower than the Tire Pressure check at petrol pumps.
I refilled air after a long time in all of Phoenix's tyres recently, and some of the tyres had gone down to 27/28 PSI! Even then, the TPMS sign in the odo didn't light up. It's a moody thing, this TPMS system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVK View Post
The TPMS in our Creta (same model) is very accurate. Even a small puncture which one would dismiss shows up very quickly and accurately in the MID.
The TPMS in the SX(O) should be fairly accurate, compared to the indicator one in the SX.

Quote:
1. I understand that the first service is mostly an inspection. For your first service, was there any top up required for engine oil or any other part replaced?
No. Just routine inspection, wash & clean, and handing over.

Quote:
2. What is the engine oil used by Hyundai in new vehicles (synthetic or mineral)?
I believe it's semi-synthetic.

As for the change, it depends on your choice. If your usage is heavy, go for synthetic. Else mineral does fine. I stuck to mineral oil for the 1 year service of our Phoenix on 23rd July (details below). My running has been extremely limited and low due to Covid-19 so synthetic or semi-synthetic doesn't make sense.

Quote:
3.When i get into the car, EPB shows as engaged. When i get into accessory mode, the EPB indicator is still on. In both the cases, i cannot manually release it. When i start the car and shift out of P, the indicator goes off without me manually releasing the EPB, leading me to worry if i am driving with the parking brake on.
That's how it's supposed to work. Don't fret - you are doing it right and your machine is good.

Quote:
This review is what has helped in finally zeroing-in on the Creta. Had budgeted for the SX earlier, but happy to inform that we have managed to stretch it for the SX(O) IVT now; don't want to repent later
Thank you so much for the kind words, Nikhil. Congratulations!

Quote:
Are you able to use the navigation on touchscreen effectively?
Quote:
We were pulling our hair out by the end of it and just used good ol' Google Maps ultimately!
The maps are outdated and useless, and are not user friendly either. I am using Google Maps on my S21 Ultra extensively whenever I drive to uncharted locations. I have even forgotten that such a thing as NAV even exists in the Creta's HU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Can any of you confirm that setting the headlights on 'Auto' mode would always keep the DRLs on? Strangely, in my case, Auto keeps all the lights switched off. I thought the sensor is kaput but as soon as I enter a dark area (basement), the 'Auto' mode switches on the main headlights plus the DRLs
That's how it behaves in my Phoenix too. All good there, Kalpesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP-BHP View Post
Your review is one of the reasons why I have gone ahead with Creta SX(O) IVT.
Thank you so much. Congratulations!

Quote:
How has been your experience with the mats so far?
They have been generally good. Easy to remove and clean, and add a touch of premiumness to the interiors.

Quote:
In some of the reviews for 7D mats, i saw users talking about there being no slot for the fuel tank lever in the front driver side mat. Does the Motorbasket mats have the same problem?... can you please share a picture of how the fuel lever looks with the mat?
There is a slot for the fuel lid opening lever. And it's easy to operate.

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-img_5333.jpg

Second Free Service @ 12 Months + 1 Year of Stress-free Life

Well, with the current pandemic bringing everything down to a complete standstill, the running of our Phoenix was drastically reduced in the whole year I have owned her. Apart from one long journey of 70kms on the highway plus a few 25-30 km runs, Phoenix has seen only in-city running and usage. No surprise that I have clocked just ~3,300 kms on the ODO till now. But the report on living with the Creta IVT on a daily basis - superb. You won't find a better machine for the urban user who is also a sedate driver.

I say this again, performance lovers - look elsewhere. This is made for the family guy who doesn't exceed 40-45 kmph inside the city for his daily jaunts to his office, markets or family runs.

No nasty or hidden surprises except for a buggy HU which misbehaves every now and then. Everything else is superb, smooth and easy to live with. Absolutely no complaints with our Phoenix.

Come 20th July, and it was a full year with our faithful steed. Due to the pandemic apprehensions, I availed the pickup and drop facility for the 2nd Free Service. No work was needed with the car, except the mandatory engine oil/oil filter change. Got the brakes cleaned because it's been raining cats and dogs and the brakes squealed upon usage, told them to change the air filter, and do nothing else. They came to pick her up at 11 AM, and Phoenix was home by 4:30 PM with all jobs done.

A pleasant surprise - they presented me with a Blue Musk car perfume as a token of appreciation. It is mentioned in the bill but was deducted from the final charges I paid. Final payment made was Rs. 3,570/-.

2nd Free Service Bill.

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-bill.jpg

Current ODO reading. And yes, that overall FE figure is real!
Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-20210819_152726.jpg

Info from the office/in-city run I did today before returning home. Driven with a light foot and with the correct speeds, this IVT can be pretty frugal.

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-20210819_152742.jpg

The last highway run me and Phoenix did before I traveled to Secunderabad.
Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-img_3345.jpg

Ciao!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 19th August 2021 at 17:36.
RavenAvi is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 19:00   #205
BHPian

Quote:
From end-April, I started having some severe health issues, mainly related to the heart (cardiovascular system). Health didn't get any better even by the best local medical backup all through the months of May, June & July. Had to go to Secunderabad in the first week of August for a full checkup, proper diagnosis and treatment. I feel like I am on the mend now and the meds are working. How effective it all will be, we shall find out in 3 months' time when my next physical review at Secunderabad is up.
Hey RavenAvi, that's a real bummer. Please do take it easy. Hope you're stressing less and resting enough. Hope to see you swing back in action and munch some miles with Phoenix. Stay blessed and take care.
IamNikhil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 11:55   #206
BHPian

Quote:

Ciao!
Hi RavenAvi,
First of all, glad you are recovering well. Do take care. Your Phoenix review really helped me and my family when selecting our first car - Creta ! I had shared this ownership report with my mom and she liked the detailed information you have given. Well except for the color . We bought a black one.
I've a question for you, did you get the mineral engine oil or synthetic one ? And how are you maintaining the sunroof ? Did you ask servicing guys to clean sunroof drain pipes ? I'm asking this because my car accumulates lot of dust and worried it might clog the sunroof water drain pipe.
Akshay6988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 20:22   #207
BHPian

Quote:
I feel like I am on the mend now and the meds are working.
Hope you have a speedy recovery. Thanks for your response.

Quote:
A pleasant surprise - they presented me with a Blue Musk car perfume as a token of appreciation. It is mentioned in the bill but was deducted from the final charges I paid.
Considering the number of people you have influenced to by the Creta, itna to banta hai
Totoro11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 19:02   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Crossed the 4,000-kms mark on the ODO on the day before Deepawali. That's in about 16 months of ownership. Yes, the running is quite less mainly because of 2 reasons - Covid, post-Covid & my health issues.

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-img_9309.jpg

Phoenix hasn't seen a single long highway run till now. The maximum she has gone is a 70-km round trip. So, predominantly (about 98%), the running has been inside the city.

But yes, owning a no-fuss machine loaded to the gills with tech and gizmos does add a lot to the feel-good factor of ownership. The size is just perfect for urban usage, and plenty spacious for towing 4 adults and one 9-year old in absolute comfort. I don't think I will be parting with Phoenix anytime soon - planning to keep her for at least 5 years. Petrol prices and alternates be damned.

On the FE front though, I have absolutely no cause for complaints. Phoenix is averaging ~09-11.5 kmpl consistently inside city traffic conditions which increases steadily to 15-16 kmpl on open roads with speeds up to 60 kmph.

This is from a recent trip to my little Princess's school which is situated outside of my city:-

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-20211113_082624.jpg

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-20211113_130612.jpg

One top-up fill of ~2000 bucks per month is all she takes in, considering my limited running.

Check this out (from Fuelio):-
  • 19th August (ODO at 3,276) - 19.54L filled (Rs 102.34/L) (220 kms, 11.26 kmpl)
  • 09th Sept (ODO at 3,496) - 14.71L filled (Rs 101.97/L) (125 kms, 8.50 kmpl)
  • 26th Sept (ODO at 3,621) - 19.62L filled (Rs 101.96/L) (221 kms, 11.26 kmpl)
  • 27th Oct (ODO at 3,842) - 18.44L filled (Rs 108.45/L) (210 kms, 11.39 kmpl)
  • 11th Nov (ODO at 4,052) - 19.08L filled (Rs 104.83/L) (running)
For a heavy ~1250kgs machine with a 1.5L petrol heart paired to a CVT, these range figures are fantastic.

I have noticed 2 new issues of late:-

1) Squeaks from the right side of the black central console plastic section when I press on it from the left side with my left knee/thigh. Not good or expected from Hyundai's premium offering.

2) Passenger window roll-up/down switch from the driver-side console doesn't work sometimes, specially if the window glass is rolled all the way down, below the beading. The passenger door button works perfectly, so I am guessing it's a problematic switch in the driver door console itself.

Intermittent issues continue - the sudden playing back from the first song in the USB drives, voice commands not working one day but working smoothly the next (Hyundai has updated the voice command system to Houndify® now, not sure which company it was before).

Mechanically, Phoenix is sound. No issues whatsoever. No problems with the braking either. In fact, Phoenix has saved me from a few sudden and nasty surprises on the roads till now. Big thumbs up to the new brake-pad & ABS vendors of the new-gen Creta (I was told it was Bosch but not confirmed).

ODO is nearing 4,200 kms as I type this. All is working, and "all izz well".

Signing off with a couple pics of the mighty Lando I came across during my previous trip. Marvel at the sheer size of the behemoth, which makes even the 4.5m long Ciaz beside it look like a dwarf in comparison!

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-20210805_164126.jpg

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-20210805_164156.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 16th November 2021 at 19:05. Reason: added.
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 17:44   #209
BHPian

Quote:
For a heavy ~1250kgs machine with a 1.5L petrol heart paired to a CVT, these range figures are fantastic.

Intermittent issues continue - the sudden playing back from the first song in the USB drives...
It's nice to see your post, I wish you good health, hope you recover soon.

Talking about the mileage figures, I am pretty amazed after the 2nd service, the engine has opened up well and delivers good fuel economy on high way drives. This is what I got on my recent highway rides

Name:  FuelEconomy.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  50.1 KB

I too face the random playback from the USB drive, but I can overlook this as I prefer Bluetooth playback from my phone.
autocool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 21:42   #210
Senior - BHPian

Wish you speedy recovery @Ravenavi

Totally agree with you. The engine is very efficient and in fact I did not notice much of rubber band effect during my few highway runs of 300+ kms. Mine has just done first service and so far so good. Here are some mileage figures from my drives..
Attached Thumbnails
Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-20211113_124850.jpg  

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-20211009_155941.jpg  

Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks