Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2021, 12:10   #211

re: Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold

Great thread RavenAvi and wishing you a speedy recovery.

I also own a Creta SX diesel which I got in April and have completed around 10k kms with it.
Had a question around alignment and balancing, so I usually get it done from outside tyre shops and not from the service center and I did the same this time as well at 9k odo reading and today sent it for the second service. The SA there told me that the new creta and i20 need to have their alignment and balancing done at the authorized service center only as it will impact warranty claims in case there is any issue with the tyres and also that there is some calibration that can only be done by Hyundai. On pressing him to tell more about what calibration needs to be done he told that he did not have the required knowledge and will connect me with someone. Did anyone else face this as well, is it mandatory to get it done from Hyundai?
ssoni1208 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 18:09   #212
BHPian

re: Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold

Have been experiencing a loud, thudding noise when releasing the brakes from a full stop. This doesn't happen after a short stop, like at signals. Wondering what could be the issue? Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 8th December 2021, 20:07   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
I've a question for you, did you get the mineral engine oil or synthetic one ?
I believe Hyundai has switched to semi-synthetic for all it's cars. Since my running isn't huge and doesn't warrant switching to fully synthetic, I told them to continue with the same as before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
And how are you maintaining the sunroof ? Did you ask servicing guys to clean sunroof drain pipes ? I'm asking this because my car accumulates lot of dust and worried it might clog the sunroof water drain pipe.
No maintenance at all. I have made a habit of fully opening and closing the sunroof every day I take Phoenix out from her garage. Most of the time Phoenix is running, I use the fresh air "pop out" feature of the sunroof (pushing button upwards) which keeps the cabin fresh and the dust out, with the in-cabin Air Purifier set to "On". On sunny/rainy days, the sunroof remains closed and the Air Purifier is set to "On". On cold days such as now, the sunroof is fully open with the ACC & Air Purifier both off all the time. I avoid running through dusty areas with the sunroof open as much as I can, while cleaning it thoroughly with the Jopasu duster once a week.

Also, I have ordered a can of Wurth Silicone Spray from Amazon (thank you Leoshashi!) to keep the sunroof & window channels smooth. It's a great product and keeps the squeaks away, while keeping the rubber beadings smooth. I recommend it wholeheartedly to all.

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-photo20211122205648.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocool View Post
Talking about the mileage figures, I am pretty amazed after the 2nd service, the engine has opened up well and delivers good fuel economy on high way drives. This is what I got on my recent highway rides
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Totally agree with you. The engine is very efficient and in fact I did not notice much of rubber band effect during my few highway runs of 300+ kms. Mine has just done first service and so far so good. Here are some mileage figures from my drives..
Yes. Once the engine has opened up fully, the FE generated by this 1.5L NA mill is superb, considering the weight of the Creta and the load it pulls. Specially in it's CVT avatar, the Creta is a solid option for the sedate, urban driver with a small family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocool View Post
I too face the random playback from the USB drive, but I can overlook this as I prefer Bluetooth playback from my phone.
My music is loaded into USBs so this frankly becomes an annoyance sometimes. The HU struggles to read from big-sized USB drives randomly and this is a notable drawback. It either stays on FM/AM playback options or starts right from the 1st song, and the latter becomes annoying once you have to go through the folders to get back to the song which was originally playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoni1208 View Post
I also own a Creta SX diesel which I got in April and have completed around 10k kms with it.
Had a question around alignment and balancing, so I usually get it done from outside tyre shops and not from the service center and I did the same this time as well at 9k odo reading and today sent it for the second service. The SA there told me that the new creta and i20 need to have their alignment and balancing done at the authorized service center only as it will impact warranty claims in case there is any issue with the tyres and also that there is some calibration that can only be done by Hyundai. On pressing him to tell more about what calibration needs to be done he told that he did not have the required knowledge and will connect me with someone. Did anyone else face this as well, is it mandatory to get it done from Hyundai?
Haven't heard anything on this for the lower models. Maybe the SA was told that the models equipped with TPMS need to get balancing & alignment done at authorised service centers because of the sensors inside. But I don't think warranty claims would be an issue.

Better get some more opinions from other owners on this. Also, send a mail to Hyundai India on this matter and see what they respond with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmish View Post
Have been experiencing a loud, thudding noise when releasing the brakes from a full stop. This doesn't happen after a short stop, like at signals. Wondering what could be the issue? Any ideas? Thanks.
Could be the ABS unit acting up. Get it checked thoroughly.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 21:59   #214
BHPian

I too was told that if i dont get alignment done with them they will not honour any claims of suspension in the future. I called BS and would do it from outside. When the time comes for warranty claims I'll fight my battles. It's sad that the authorized service centres resort to such petty blackmail. They still end up charging the 20 rs for windshield spray liquid. They don't realize that this 20 rs is actually denting their brand reputation
kalpeshc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 15:30   #215

Hello everyone. I was planning on booking the Hyundai Creta SX 1.5 Petrol Manual. I noticed that it has a manual day/night IRVM. I was wondering if anyone here, who has purchased this model previously, had enquired if it's possible to upgrade to the auto dimming IRVM from the SX(O) variant and retain the BlueLink functionalities. Please let me know, as a DIY mirror upgrade to auto dimming IRVM would mean losing the BlueLink functionalities.
Thanks in advance.
Old 16th March 2022, 17:54   #216

Hi,

Is there an official review on BHP for the Creta 2020 IVT SX(O) version? Given this review is so comprehensive, I doubt it and I could not find one.

I gave mine for servicing, and I seem to remember the engine having a dust cover earlier and now it is not there. The dealer says I am mistaken and only diesel variant has dust cover. So, basically looking for a pic of the SX(O) IVT engine if there is one.

Thanks! And thanks for the amazing review - it helped me take my decision when I was buying the car a year ago.
phaedrus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 00:25   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
I too was told that if i dont get alignment done with them they will not honour any claims of suspension in the future. I called BS and would do it from outside. When the time comes for warranty claims I'll fight my battles. It's sad that the authorized service centres resort to such petty blackmail.
They still end up charging the 20 rs for windshield spray liquid. They don't realize that this 20 rs is actually denting their brand reputation
That's rubbish, and just pressure tactics by them to stick to the A.S.S. There are excellent professional centers outside which do a WAY better job than authorised service centers when it comes to alignment/balancing.

Don't worry about your warranty. It will remain solid.

Like I mentioned in another thread, I was once charged ~Rs 80/- for tightening of all wheel nuts of my previous Creta - Lazarus - during the first free service. Despite my continuous objections, they refused to drop it from the service bill. Can't go any lower than that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamzeus View Post
I was planning on booking the Hyundai Creta SX 1.5 Petrol Manual. I noticed that it has a manual day/night IRVM. I was wondering if anyone here, who has purchased this model previously, had enquired if it's possible to upgrade to the auto dimming IRVM from the SX(O) variant and retain the BlueLink functionalities. Please let me know, as a DIY mirror upgrade to auto dimming IRVM would mean losing the BlueLink functionalities.
I had asked about this at my A.S.S., and they had said that it was possible. The auto-dimming IRVM of the SX(O) is available as a separate part, and comes with separate wiring, harness & coupler.

Enquire from your nearest dealership too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
Is there an official review on BHP for the Creta 2020 IVT SX(O) version? Given this review is so comprehensive, I doubt it and I could not find one.
Nope. I am humbled that my report of the IVT is the unofficial go-to for the Creta IVT in Team-BHP till now.

Quote:
I gave mine for servicing, and I seem to remember the engine having a dust cover earlier and now it is not there. The dealer says I am mistaken and only diesel variant has dust cover. So, basically looking for a pic of the SX(O) IVT engine if there is one.
Your dealer is right. There is no dust cover above the engine. There's only under-bonnet insulation provided.

Quote:
Thanks! And thanks for the amazing review - it helped me take my decision when I was buying the car a year ago.
I am glad I could help in finalising your car buying decision, my friend.

----------------------------------------------------------------

It's been a long time since I posted an update on my ownership experience. Between the hassles of a near-fatal medical condition and on the road to gradual recovery + a demanding job which is at it's peak during the first 3 months of the annual year + domestic responsibilities, AND, being the owner of (arguably) the most boring, everyday car that one can lay their hands upon in our market today, there isn't much to report from my previous post.

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-20220309_133716.jpg

Crossed the 5,000-kms milestone in the second week of March. Phoenix continues it's lazy, idyllic existence in my garage. Fuss-free, tantrum-free. It is serving well and is aging up well too, except for a few minor irritants - USB drive resetting itself to the default opening song, HU starting off from the FM station even when the USB drive is plugged in, center console creaking while the left leg presses on it, sunroof squeaking slightly while opening/closing, etc. (resolved by the Wurth spray)

Only major issue which popped up during January 2022 was the front passenger side window occasionally not rolling back up when the respective button from the driver-side door panel was pressed (rather, pushed up). It worked fine when the passenger-side door panel button was used. I suspected that that particular button on the driver door panel was iffy (all other buttons were working just fine).

Had called the dealership A.S.S. to schedule a checkup but after spraying the Wurth spray regularly on the window's rubber panels and the glass gap for about a week, the problem stopped. Not sure how that worked - maybe Hyundai has a self-healing system for the buttons inside the car!

Other than that, everything else continues to be butter smooth. I am still annoyed by the creaks from the center console every time my left leg presses against it while resting on the footrest. Not expected from a Hyundai.

Braking is absolutely fine. No nasty surprises yet in my daily runs, whether it be inside the city or on short highway jaunts. Had to go through a few more panic braking scenarios (perks of living in a tier-3 city/kasba) but I am glad to report that the Creta did well in stopping in a straight line and well in time.

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-20220320_131718.jpg

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-20220320_131736.jpg

About FE, well it hovered between the 11-12 kmpl mark all through winter (ACC minimally used, and with speeds mostly between 35-45 kmph). I am seeing a dip in these figures since mid-March when the ACC has started doing more duty, and traffic became heavier on the roads as the third wave continued to subside.

Now it's anywhere between 10-11 kmpl. The last Fuelio calculation for a refill came to 10.3 kmpl. Of course, I am driving exclusively in the ECO mode for the past 2,000-odd kms.

(Highest achieved inside the city in close, dense traffic)

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-20220322_133711.jpg

The engine and the gearbox are, in one word, laid-back. Not relaxed laid-back, but boringly laid-back. This is one engine-gearbox combo which a 90-year-old grandpa, maybe with the slowest reflexes ever, can easily drive on a daily basis! (no disrespect meant to any grandpas worldwide!)

(Please excuse all the dust - it's become a very dusty city lately!)

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-20220320_131810.jpg

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-20220320_131923.jpg

And, I have to admit that I am really disappointed by the Creta's NCAP score. I expected no less when the Seltos's scores were out, but given the fact that Hyundai advertised the heck out of the structural rigidity and claims of using over 73% high strength steel in it's cabin, a score of 08/17 is disappointingly, disappointly low. That's not even 50% marks secured in a final examination!

The Creta commands a fantastic resale value though, specially in tier-3 areas like mine. One of my contacts recently commended me on how impeccably I have maintained my Phoenix, and he was willing to give me no less than 13.8 lakhs for my nearly 2-year old petrol automatic - that's a very meagre depreciation of just 1.14 lakhs in 21 months of first-hand ownership!

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-20220320_131816.jpg

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-20220320_131834.jpg

ODO currently stands at 5,324 kms.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 14th April 2022 at 00:31. Reason: Minor correction.
RavenAvi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 00:05   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

One last update in this ownership thread which was pending for some time:-

Phoenix (my Creta) found a new home in the second week of June. After the last week of April 2022 when Icarus (my XUV7OO) entered my garage, the running of my petrol steed had become extremely limited. In fact, out of the 31 days in May 2022, Phoenix went for in-city runs for only 5 days!

Blame me for this - I am old school and prefer my machines with stick shifters and twisting the key in ignitions. The Creta IVT with all it's luxurious features on offer was actually lazy and boring to live with. I guess push-button starts and AT transmissions are not made for me. Not at least I mentally retire from driving, completely.

Many in my friends and contact circles had their eyes on my immaculately maintained steed. Received an offer in the last week of May 2022 from a good lawyer friend of mine which exceeded my expectations and, with a promise of excellent maintenance and no call for complaints, I let Phoenix go. The ODO read 6,079 kms when it was driven away from in front of our home by it's new owner.

Came into my life at 14.94L ex-showroom price in July 2020 and went to the new owner at 13.80L final paid-up price in June 2022 after nearly 2 years of serving me dutifully, through the tough periods of my suffering severe lower back (sacrolumbar livoscoliosis), waist & left leg problems until they improved considerably in recent times.

The Creta petrol IVT is an excellent in-city and highway commuter. Plenty of in-cabin and boot space for an urban nuclear family and class-leading features on offer keep the feel-good factor going all through it's ownership. It isn't an enthusiast's car by any stretch of the imagination for sure. Just a point A to point B car, which most car owners would prefer once they are done and retired from an active life driving enthusiast offerings in cars. Hence I referred to it as your grandpa's car more often than not.

The Hyundai Creta surely has fantastic resale value, specially in Tier-3 cities and below. No wonder Hyundais are so much in demand around these parts.

Thank you, Phoenix. Serve your new owner well. And goodbye.

Last edited by Axe77 : 16th July 2022 at 06:51. Reason: Rephrasing. As requested.
RavenAvi is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 06:06   #219
BHPian

This has been, like all your ownership reviews, a repository of information about the Creta IVT. Thank you very much for sharing valuable information with the forum on every vehicle you have owned. The new owner is lucky to be getting a well maintained vehicle.
Kudos on the new 7OO - the “Icarus” - & I am sure that report too will be the go-to for many on this forum.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 21:54   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Thank you, Phoenix. Serve your new owner well. And goodbye.
As far as my knowledge goes, I think this is by far the shortest stint with any of your cars!

On a side note, as I still retain my Sept 2015 Creta , you have already let go 2 generations!
My Creta which I remember was bought during the same time as your ‘Lazarus’ will be completing 7 years in a month & if everything goes well, I am not letting her go for another 3 years for sure.

This pic is about a year old though.

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-81a2a7735b93476cac7467d19155a546.jpeg

Anyway, needless to say that you have got a fab replacement for the Creta and I hope that he serves you the max of all your cars!!

Wish you happy miles with the new one!

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 16th July 2022 at 21:57.
ashvek3141 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 07:47   #221
BHPian

Quote:

Blame me for this - I am old school and prefer my machines with stick shifters and twisting the key in ignitions. The Creta IVT with all it's luxurious features on offer was actually lazy and boring to live with. I guess push-button starts and AT transmissions are not made for me. Not at least I mentally retire from driving, completely.
Well, this sounds like me . A small percentage of us enthusiasts go through this. We have nothing against advent of technology or AT, AMT, IMT etc it’s just that we love some basic features and characteristics of the erstwhile decades. Cheers.
Gypsian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 11:46   #222
Senior - BHPian

Re: Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold

And I wonder why I still have an itch towards the manual gearbox. At least now I wont get strange glances from my family if i decide to buy a second beater with manual transmission. I will use this example. I must mention that I let go of two CVT cars so far, a Micra and a City. The " boredom" of driving is apparent in a short period of time.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 14:02   #223
BHPian

Re: Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold

Quote:

Phoenix (my Creta) found a new home in the second week of June. After the last week of April 2022 when Icarus (my XUV7OO) entered my garage, the running of my petrol steed had become extremely limited. In fact, out of the 31 days in May 2022, Phoenix went for in-city runs for only 5 days!
Wonderful! and thanks to you and this thread, i was able to close my purchase of 2020 Creta IVT S(o) as well in Sept 2020.

I have also had my eye on the XUV700 for sometime, but given lack of VC backing, not able to purchase at least for 4 more years

Best wishes with your new steed!
S.Shyam is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed