Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2020, 19:49   #121
BHPian

re: Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold

I believe the SX also comes with digital MID, right?
Old 1st October 2020, 21:29   #122
BHPian

re: Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Nope. It comes with the regular analogue dials. Digital MID is limited to only top spec trims.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 00:13   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you for the kind words and appreciation, team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandatrooper View Post
The Creta that came in for the test drive seemed to be a brand new vehicle that was supposed to be delivered to a fellow customer sometime soon [ I pity the customer ]. How do I ensure that the vehicle I've booked is not deployed into such subsidiary services and remains pristine right from the offloading to the delivery?
Congratulations in advance, pandatrooper.

The only way you can ensure that your booked car, once offloaded from the factory's truck, isn't used by the dealership for such nefarious activities is by taking immediate delivery. Keep all finances and required documents ready, get the VIN number of the car which has been allotted to you, stay in close touch with the dealership people, keep a close tab on the travel and ETA schedule, and be there in person when your car is rolled down from the delivery truck.

If you are late, you can only pray.

Quote:
What if the dealer assigns me with the same TD vehicle ?
Keep a note of the VIN number of your TD'ed car. That will help.

Quote:
Any idea on how escalated are the maintenance costs for the CVTs at Hyundai? I'm upgrading from a Maruti Suzuki so a ballpark figure would help me set a mindset.
Maintenance should not be a bother. I have taken feedback from several owners of the Honda City CVT who have told me to breathe easy. For once a year visits to the service workshop, it shouldn't be much of a bother.

Quote:
I see you've ordered floor mats from a third party vendor. Any particular reason for not settling with the company provided floor mats and seat covers?
Three reasons - overpricing, variety and quality. You get MUCH better quality at reasonable prices from outside, and there's a range to choose from. OEM mats & seat covers are usually disappointing.

Quote:
Since this is my first time negotiating for an automobile machine, I don't have the necessary skills to squeeze all the citrus out of the fruit. Can you suggest any other avenues of negotiations with regards to the price discount apart from insurance and accessories aspect of it ?
You can try to get them to wave off handling charges. There is a Supreme Court order for the same issued after the Delhi High Court order. Wave it in front of them and stand firm.

No other pricing discount can be expected, I am afraid. The Creta is a hot-seller right now and you would be lucky if they threw in any sort of freebies into the deal.

All the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
How do we, as customers ensure that our soon-to-be purchased cars aren’t abused this way?
Quick delivery is the only viable solution.

The longer your car stays at the dealership due to N number of reasons, the more chances it might be misused by them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Shyam View Post
1. Do we really need underbody Anti-Rust Coating in Bangalore? Dealer offered at 4K, but I rejected saying it’s a new car and seems like an overkill. I took a few pics of the underbody and can’t really tell if that’s rust or just the regular colour of the body panels.
2. Do the headlamps feel underwhelming in terms of lighting up the road ahead?
Hearty congratulations, Shyam. Welcome to the Creta club!

If you are traveling a lot through rains and roads filled with water and mud, I suggest getting it done. Better to head to a 3M outlet near you and get the package with the 5-year warranty.

I have done a fair bit of evening/night driving in the meanwhile and I must say that the high beam is strictly average. With a trio-LED setup, the lighting should have been much better. It looks dazzling from the outside and I am sure it makes an impression on the incoming traffic, but it's utility value for the driver is not that great. Not impressed with this headlamp setup in a 17-lakh rupee car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmshaw View Post
I am about to book a Creta IVT this week, and am torn between the SX and SX (O). My biggest fear is I go for SX and then repent at leisure that I could have gone for the SX (O) for the creaturely comforts.
Congratulations, jmshaw.

I would strongly suggest going for the SX(O), if you have the budget or can stretch for it. My requirements were different and our Phoenix is used as more of a city runner, plus I had already stretched my budget enough, to stick to the SX.

More than anything else, it's the feel-good factor which comes with owning the topmost variant in any lineup, specially one which is as feature-loaded as the Creta, both in terms of safety and gizmos.

I say, close your eyes and simply go for the SX(O).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Nope.

Check the pic in my opening posts. The SX comes with analogue dials for the speeds, RPMs, fuel levels & engine temperature. Looks beautiful when fully backlit at night time.

----------------------------------------------------

First Mishap

Well, it had to happen sooner than later. After 2 months and 9 days of scratch-less driving, jaunts and journeys. What was saddening was that it wasn't my fault or Phoenix's.

I was on my way to my office at noon time on 29th September. In front of our city's biggest government college, a couple of policemen stood to show their faces and mark their presence for the Section 144 which was imposed on our city since the past week or so. They had parked a motorcycle on the left edge of the road and were waving bikers towards them.
A cow stood in the middle of the road.
There wasn't much space between the cow and their motorcycle, so I slowed down and started to honk to make the cow move away. The cow, shameless as these animals have become, didn't even bother to budge. Phoenix's slow crawl came to a standstill as I continued honking.
A couple of seconds went by and W-H-A-M!
My temperature started rising as I heard this from behind Phoenix, on the passenger's rear side. A villager kid, no more than 15-16 years old, slowly rolled up parallel to my left side, riding an old run-down motorcycle, with an elder villager sitting behind him. I rolled down the passenger side window glass and gave him a blast. He was stammering something about the brakes not grabbing at the last moment. One of the policemen, who did nothing to catch him or detain him, murmured something about the kid driving really fast from behind. The kid repeatedly swore to me that he didn't break anything. Before I could come out of Phoenix, he started his motorcycle hurriedly and was off in a flash.
I slowly drove over to the left of the road, parked, and surveyed the damage.

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-img_20200929_125805.jpg

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-img_20200929_125756.jpg

Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-img_20200929_125800.jpg

Hoping that the damage was just superficial and I was getting very late for office (and September half-yearly Closing work), I took the pics and drove off. I did give a piece of mind to the policemen standing there like dummies who merely looked at each other in response.

Did a bit of brain-storming with D-BHPian Leoshashi later that night over Whatsapp for solutions for this damage. He has given me a couple of ideas which I shall implement over the holidays during the weekend ahead. Will get back with the results.

I also haven't laid down the 7D mats yet. Shall do so in the next 3 days.
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 07:36   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

I have done a fair bit of evening/night driving in the meanwhile and I must say that the high beam is strictly average.
Hi Avinash, had seen a couple of reviews on youtube mentioning not-so-great high beam throw. Wasn't bothered so far, but this coming from you has set me wondering:

Is it really troublesome in dim lit areas? I'll be driving mostly in cities; but for an unplanned trip once a while, would want to count on my vehicle. Also, I'm not a driver who will woosh by other vehicles (more so in dim lit areas)

Looking to hear from you/other creta owners.
Old 2nd October 2020, 08:03   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hoping that the damage was just superficial and I was getting very late for office (and September half-yearly Closing work), I took the pics and drove off. I did give a piece of mind to the policemen standing there like dummies who merely looked at each other in response.

Did a bit of brain-storming with D-BHPian Leoshashi later that night over Whatsapp for solutions for this damage. He has given me a couple of ideas which I shall implement over the holidays during the weekend ahead. Will get back with the results.
I see no paint damage from the pics. If so, this will definitely go (this is either from the scooter's plastic or rubber part). I had a similar mark that I got from an Omni.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 08:19   #126
BHPian

Quote:
I slowly drove over to the left of the road, parked, and surveyed the damage.
Hoping that the damage was just superficial.
Looks like the damage I suffered at the hands of a careless biker about a year ago. I smeared the area with tooth paste and rubbed with a moist microfiber cloth and all the stains came right off. No marks left and not a scratch on original paint.
BLACNWYTE is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 17:14   #127

A quick query, please - will ventilated seats become a maintenance overhead. There are lot of generic threads out there, but nothing specific on Creta. Folks in the showroom say we cannot put a seat cover on top and vaccum is the only option, but what would happen if we have a liquid spill?

Other aspects like safety, bose speakers, digi mid etc make the SXO option enticing, but am worried about the seats!

Appreciate insights / advice please.
karthikkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 23:31   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakdograbhp View Post
Is it really troublesome in dim lit areas? I'll be driving mostly in cities; but for an unplanned trip once a while, would want to count on my vehicle. Also, I'm not a driver who will woosh by other vehicles (more so in dim lit areas)
Well, I haven't done even a single long highway trip with Phoenix yet, specially during night time. So I can't comment on it's effectiveness. But from whatever I have experienced during my short drives, both inside the city and outside, during evenings/early & late nights, I'd say that the illumination is pretty average.

Not sure if it's the stock LED bulbs or the entire headlight setup, but if someone is driving predominantly on highways and his Creta sees a lot of night-time driving, a headlight upgrade is definitely recommended.

I'll need to do more research on this whole setup and a possible upgrade. Will get back with the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikkr View Post
Folks in the showroom say we cannot put a seat cover on top and vaccum is the only option, but what would happen if we have a liquid spill?
That is actually one reason which made me apprehensive of the SX(O) too. Water/milk/liquid spill and it's effects on such seats are unknown. Not sure if it's just vents under the seat cover's pores, or if there's some electronic parts such as wires, motors or fans inside them. If it's the latter, it's bound to get short-circuited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I see no paint damage from the pics. If so, this will definitely go (this is either from the scooter's plastic or rubber part). I had a similar mark that I got from an Omni.
My guess - the motorcycle's front fender + tyre rubber. Some part of the tyre rim too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACNWYTE View Post
Looks like the damage I suffered at the hands of a careless biker about a year ago. I smeared the area with tooth paste and rubbed with a moist microfiber cloth and all the stains came right off. No marks left and not a scratch on original paint.
And voila!

You have seen the "Before" pics.

And now, for the "After" shots:

Scratch marks? Where?
Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-img_20201002_142823.jpg

The wonders of a Colgate toothpaste tube, a moist cotton cloth, and gritty determination fighting off a severely protesting lower back.
Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-img_20201002_142829.jpg

End result of a 1 hour effort (with breaks).
Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-img_20201002_142834.jpg

The remnants - a paint chip-off and a razor cut.
Can be covered with a touch-up job.
Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-img_20201002_142849.jpg

And of course, the 4 cuts on the black cladding which one has to just live with.
Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-img_20201002_142900.jpg

A single streak on the top left part of the paint, too. Touch-up to continue.
Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-img_20201002_142918.jpg

Also, the Coozo 7D mats which I had ordered from Motorbasket went into their sections today.

Driver side.
Notice the gap on the middle-right? I think this is for the earlier-gen Creta, not the 2020 model.
Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-img_20201002_143132.jpg

Passenger side. A better fit.
Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-img_20201002_143034.jpg

Rear. Covered over with the Elegant mats set.
Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-img_20201002_142956.jpg

I have continued to use the Elegant mats set as cover for the 7Ds because the rains haven't relented yet around these parts and I don't want them new ones to get muddy and dirty upon immediate use.

Yes, you noticed that correctly too. The OEM plastic is still on the seats. Haven't found a suitable seat cover set for Phoenix yet. Not many options seen online either. With the Covid situation increasing to dangerous levels in my city, I am still very apprehensive about visiting the accessory stores and risking any sort of infections from unknown sources. So, this will continue until I find a spare day to do all/most jobs I have planned for our steed.

Hopefully soon.

Also, I am about to run through my third fuel fill-up by tomorrow. A rough calculation using the Fuelio app's last update shows that the overall FE is still hovering at a smidge over 10 kmpl, which is actually very good for this heavy IVT machine.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 2nd October 2020 at 23:40. Reason: added.
RavenAvi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 14:03   #129
BHPian

Quote:

This is exactly the kind of damage for which I've been thinking of getting a PPF for.
iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 14:53   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Keep all finances and required documents ready, get the VIN number of the car which has been allotted to you, stay in close touch with the dealership people, keep a close tab on the travel and ETA schedule, and be there in person when your car is rolled down from the delivery truck.
Thanks, RavenAvi for the advice. Seems like the dealerships have abundant stocks of Creta lined up in their stockyard. Out of the 3 dealerships I tried to contact in my city, all of them are ready to immediately deliver the vehicle for White and Black color schemes. The Sales Executives are calling day in and day out to enquire about my intent to purchase the vehicle. Initially, the dealerships asked me to book the vehicle by trying to intimidate me with the long waiting period. After I showed my ignorance for the former, they lured me to book the vehicle by assuring me of immediate delivery. What's even more strange is, I've had the same experience not just limited to one but all the three dealerships at a time when folks from other cities are finding it hard to negotiate for an early delivery. Am I missing something here, team?
pandatrooper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 16:41   #131
BHPian

Quote:
What's even more strange is, I've had the same experience not just limited to one but all the three dealerships at a time when folks from other cities are finding it hard to negotiate for an early delivery. Am I missing something here, team?
This may be the answer you are looking for

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4896114
deepakdograbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 23:41   #132
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need some quick advice on Tires for Creta SX (o) IVT.

It came with standard JK Tires 215/60 R17. After doing about 700kms, had a burst. Rear Left side.

Since it happened after midnight, my wife and I just got down and changed to the spare. Hyundai RSA told us it will take 90+ minutes for the service to reach us. We were stuck on ORR opposite Bagmane Tech World. Till this time we thought it was a puncture. Next morning we took it to the repair shop who told me its likely to be a burst from inside. I have no clue how to verify this but took a pic of the tear and shared to SA at Trident Hyundai who told me not to make any changes and he will get it replaced under warranty. Unfortunately by the time we talked about this to the SA, repair guy had already worked his way into the tire :(
Yes, eventually he found 25 punctures in total. 10-12 punctures he told me at the same spot (it was just a big hole in my opinion and he was trying to milk some cash) and since we drove almost 1km with a flat (from top of flyover to service lane), an additional 12-13 spots spread across the side profile. I am not very hopeful of the warranty replacement happening.

Anyway, now I am keen to see if i can get other 3 tires also traded for something like a michelin/continental
1. Can somebody point me to a decent dealer in bangalore who can buy 700kms old tires and give discount on the new tire cost ?
2. If anybody has a good suggestion of brand that would be great!

Now i am fighting with
Attached Thumbnails
Phoenix: Rising back from the ashes | Our 2020 Hyundai Creta SX IVT Review | EDIT: Sold-first-pic.jpg  

S.Shyam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 06:23   #133
Senior - BHPian

I am expecting my Creta in the next couple of weeks. Assuming that it will also be shod with JK tyres, would it make sense for an immediate upgrade uppn delivery to another brand?
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 07:30   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I am expecting my Creta in the next couple of weeks. Assuming that it will also be shod with JK tyres, would it make sense for an immediate upgrade uppn delivery to another brand?
Yes please. I don't know why but tyres like JK tyres, Goodyears somehow seem to have issues and the grip is below average.
Would recommend Michelin or Yokohama.
Sreesh1009 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 12:40   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
Yes please. I don't know why but tyres like JK tyres, Goodyears somehow seem to have issues and the grip is below average.
Would recommend Michelin or Yokohama.
How should one take precautions to avoid any issues with the TPMS sensors during the tyre change ?

Most Viewed