Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2020, 16:27   #16
BHPian

Re: One year with my pre-worshipped VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Congrats on your pick tanaysn and welcome to the GT club.

I have been pondering a remap on my 1.5 GT TDI and would love to feel the difference. Considering you are from Bangalore, we can catch up sometime for a good discussion on this, photos and just for the GT badge.

Wish you a very happy, long and fuss free motoring.

Thanks Vik0728 sure I will be more than glad to catch up!
I will drop you a message in you inbox with my contact details.

Regarding the remap, yes we can discuss when we meet and infact it will be a good comparison too over the stock tune (keeping the quoted mubers aside) and in the end another #family moment click for our GTs.

Quote:
Probably it all comes down to weight, but there is no denying the fact that the 1.5 TDCI from Ford is a stonker of an engine.
Even I was heartbroken to see this Autocar's drag video on their channel and always considered the GT TDi to be the fastest hatch on a drag strip (under 12lakhs)
But probably the rev limiter doesn't help extract the maximum of out the engine to save the tyres and clutch. Or it is just a looser's consolation that I am making here..
tanaysn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 19:26   #17
BHPian

Welcome to the TDi club @tanaysn. Lucky to own one of the last fast diesel hatchback from VW.

Having one since last 5 years, the 1.5 TDi is really a gem. Your decision of getting it remapped is a great one. The car becomes more driveable and the need to frequently change gears reduces a lot. 3rd gear is the best after remap imo, can feel the torque grunt that this TDi motor has on tap.

Nice to know a fellow GT’r from Bengaluru, may be we can plan a mini GT meet once the Covid situation dies down.

Attaching a pic of my pocket rocket. Haven’t yet put up a ownership thread, will do one soon.
Attached Thumbnails
One year with my pre-worshipped VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-d259712c73e048c6b7cd7bc652b0a10a.jpeg  

Last edited by speedfreak : 5th August 2020 at 19:52.
speedfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 09:40   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on your pick tanaysn and welcome to the GT club.

I have been pondering a remap on my 1.5 GT TDI and would love to feel the difference. Considering you are from Bangalore, we can catch up sometime for a good discussion on this, photos and just for the GT badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
Welcome to the TDi club @tanaysn. Lucky to own one of the last fast diesel hatchback from VW.

Nice to know a fellow GT’r from Bengaluru, may be we can plan a mini GT meet once the Covid situation dies down.

Hey Vik0728 and speedfreak we can surely plan to catch up someday. I was wondering if there are any WhatsApp groups for GT TDI owners. I know a group of GT TSI owners which a friend of mine is part of it.

It would be good to start one if there aren't any. (Atleast for the Bangalore GT TDI owners)
What say?
Old 6th August 2020, 13:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaysn View Post
Hey Vik0728 we can surely plan to catch up someday. I was wondering if there are any WhatsApp groups for GT TDI owners.
Hey buddy, from what I know there is no GT TDI club around. Heck, 1.6 GT was the most exclusive Polo in India and I don't know if the owners had a club back then either

I am not on Whatsapp and until you have at least 25 posts, none of us can PM you either. So please send me a PM when you guys plan a meetup.

For the larger audience however, you can always plan a meetup in this section:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-bhp-meet-section/
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 14:53   #20
BHPian

Quote:
GT TDI may be quick by hatchback standards, but Figo S still seems to have its number as tested by Autocar.
=====
Probably it all comes down to weight, but there is no denying the fact that the 1.5 TDCI from Ford is a stonker of an engine.
I think the 1.5L Figo TDCI and the polo GT TDI weighs the same around 1080 kgs so that may not be the case here. Correct me if I'm Wrong.
Old 6th August 2020, 15:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpk View Post
I think the 1.5L Figo TDCI and the polo GT TDI weighs the same around 1080 kgs so that may not be the case here. Correct me if I'm Wrong.
Not really dude!

As per the TBHP official review and the Ford Figo brochure from Ford India:

Figo TDCI (Kerb weight) - 1067 kg

As per the comparison table in the TBHP Ford Figo official review, the 1.0 NA Petrol Polo kerb weight is 1126 kg. So the now extinct:

Polo GT TDI (Kerb weight) - 1156-1163 kg

Also as tanaysn has mentioned, the above factor coupled with the rev limiter that prevents an aggressive launch on the GT costs this German oil burner atleast a second and a half (if not more) to the ton.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 6th August 2020 at 15:16.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 19:24   #22
BHPian

Quote:
2.Post GT phase: Good & Bad bits about the car

The headlamp and wiper switches were a bit getting used to for me initially but now they feel "correctly placed"
Attachment 2035377
Attachment 2037321
The cruise control switch is thoughtfully placed in the indicator switch. Again a display of "smart German engineering"
Attachment 2037318

Congratulations on the ride. She sure is a pleasure to drive.

I have a polo 2015 1.2 mpi and couldnt help but notice the headlamp switch in the tdi vs mine.

How is it that the older model gets a brushed aluminium one and the newer ones get the plastic one. Did VW just cost cut or is it model specific.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they cost cut as they chucked the leather wrapped hand brake on mine as compared to the older models
Attached Thumbnails
One year with my pre-worshipped VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI-8d6e1356193e43308865bcb612f44ac7.jpeg  

seedyk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 21:46   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Not really dude!

As per the TBHP official review and the Ford Figo brochure from Ford India:

Figo TDCI (Kerb weight) - 1067 kg

As per the comparison table in the TBHP Ford Figo official review, the 1.0 NA Petrol Polo kerb weight is 1126 kg. So the now extinct:

Polo GT TDI (Kerb weight) - 1156-1163 kg

Also as tanaysn has mentioned, the above factor coupled with the rev limiter that prevents an aggressive launch on the GT costs this German oil burner atleast a second and a half (if not more) to the ton.
Well, thanx for updating me with the information.
Still, I would say that both cars weigh way more than the cars in competition, quite a few cars cross the 1000 kg mark in this segment. The Altroz also weighs more than a ton. This doesn't convey the safety part but still shows how well built these cars are to an extent.
Anyways thanks again for correcting me.
Cheers!
Old 10th September 2020, 22:26   #24

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the club. I'm driving the 2013 1.6 GT TDI. It is one crazy "puts an evil grin on your face" machine. I also successfully avoided the post-dieselgate tune. I'm planning to get a remap but the lack of tuning houses in my city is keeping me from moving ahead in that direction. I've been continuously reading and weighing in the pros and cons but can't seem to finalizing anything. Every time I read something as arun_m5 sir wrote in this thread it scares me even more and tells me to steer away from it.

Quote:
2. Upgrade air intake guide/channel to the euro spec (not sure about how to source it though in the current situation)
I sourced it via BOODMO in March. The part no: 1T0805971 is listed as "TRIM" for ~Rs. 1100 and deliveries has resumed as well. It's a really inexpensive mod so I simply went ahead and got it. Didn't feel anything noticeable personally but since you've got a remap I'm pretty sure it will benefit you.

Quote:
Hey buddy, from what I know there is no GT TDI club around. Heck, 1.6 GT was the most exclusive Polo in India and I don't know if the owners had a club back then either
Sir here in Bhopal the dealer changed after I got mine and both of them failed to give away any significant information. I've spotted another MP-regd one but heard way too many bad things about it. Apparently it has spent way too much time in garages.
I also want to thank you and Gannu_1 sir for providing an absolute holy grail in the form of ownership log. Due to lack of adequate support through the ASC in my city they have been THE go-to guide for me.
debashishsen26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 23:10   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debashishsen26 View Post

I sourced it via BOODMO in March. The part no: 1T0805971 is listed as "TRIM" for ~Rs. 1100 and deliveries has resumed as well. It's a really inexpensive mod so I simply went ahead and got it. Didn't feel anything noticeable personally but since you've got a remap I'm pretty sure it will benefit you.
Thanks debashishsen26. You are amongst the lucky ones to own the 1.6!! Vik0728 drove my remapped GT last week and mentioned the engine feel post remap is like a 1.6 TDI.

In fact, I just ordered the same on Bodmo before reading your comment.
I am planning to log my IATs before and after the air guide channel swap (hoping the nature is kind with fluctuating Bangalore weather during this time of the year) at similar AATs (time of the day)

Will keep you posted here on my findings.

Last edited by tanaysn : 10th September 2020 at 23:29.
tanaysn is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks