Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2020, 21:34   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Review: Mercedes-Benz G 350 Diesel

Likes;

- Engine & Gearbox Combo.
- Looks & Exclusivity (There's nothing like this on the road)
- Long Fuel Range/Cruising Ability of the Diesel & Fuel Economy.
- Ride Quality & Handling of this gen G-Class is much better than previous gen.

Dislikes;

- Price is still far from affordable.
- The Base Car needed more standard features.
- This OM 656 Diesel is available in a higher state of tune (i.e. 400d) wonder why that was not provided as its available in the cheaper GLE & GLS.

Video Review;

Engine & Gearbox Performance;

Review: Mercedes-Benz G 350 Diesel-screen-shot-20200726-9.47.39-pm.png

- The G 350 Diesel is the new OM 656 2.9L Turbo Diesel & this OM 656 has brought back the straight 6 cylinder arrangement.
- The specifications of the G350d are 286 HP & 600 NM
-This engine has ample torque available at all the time & the torque is most felt between 1200 - 3600 rpm.
- Gearbox is a 9 Speed (9 G Tronic) Torque Converter.
- The Gears Feel Wide Ratioed.
- Those who have driven the G63 AMG version all know that how scary that motor feels in the G Wagen. Whereas this G350d feels a lot more suitable & ideally ample for its aerodynamics as well as the weight of this SUV in a way making it much more controllable.

Review: Mercedes-Benz G 350 Diesel-screen-shot-20200726-9.44.15-pm.png

Suspension/RideQuality/Handling;

- The G-Class in this new generation has an independent suspension at the front and rigid beam axles at the rear.
- The arrangement at the front has transformed the handling character for the G.
- This has also led to better road mannerisms and is confidence inspiring at high speeds.
- BUT We have to remember the G is a traditional Body on Frame SUV hence you need to respect that fact while attempting any adventurism on highways or the twisties.
- Ride Quality is very good & the SUV remains unbothered by road undulations.
- Off road capability is handled by 3 Locking Differentials. Unfortunately Mumbai is still under lockdown & the car was equipped with Road tyres (Pirelli Scorpion Zeroes) so venturing out OFF ROAD was not possible.
- Ground Clearance is 241 mm.

Other Miscellaneous Observations;

Review: Mercedes-Benz G 350 Diesel-screen-shot-20200726-9.51.11-pm.png

- Transfer Case is Flange Mounted directly to the Gearbox to send drive 40% Front & 60% Rear.
- Exhaust tips are nowhere to be seen on the Diesel variant nor at the side & nor at rear. But upon further inspection found them hidden at the side. The side exit exhaust/tips mod is something the G350d owners can/should undertake
- The components of the front suspension are directly mounted to the ladder-frame without a subframe.
- Gets Active Engine Mounts which get stiffer at high speeds & soft at low speeds.
- Top Speed is locked @ 200 km/h.
- The torsional vibrations are very much controlled for a ladder frame SUV.

5 Reasons I'd pick the G350 Diesel variant over the G63 AMG;

1) Diesel Power;

Most old school SUV enthusiasts prefer their SUV's powered by a DIESEL. Similarly, the Diesel engine in the G-Class felt at home for me. Not only that if you compare the G63 v/s this G350d the G63 AMG has cylinder deactivation technology & hence the G63 becomes a 4cyl while cruising, whereas there's no such tech on the Diesel variant & all the 6 cylinders in your Diesel are in your control & command All the time.

2) Ride Quality;

The G63 AMG's suspension has got the treatment suitable for handling that amount of power & not tuned for ride comfort.
In addition to that the AMG variant has 22" Rims with low profile tyres (295/40 R22) i whereas this Diesel comes standard with 18" rims to enhance Off Roadability and Ride Quality. Even though my test car had the optional 20" AMG Line Rims with 275/50 R20 tyres the ride comfort was top notch with great amount of grip levels too.

3) Range & Fuel Economy;

The added advantage of the Diesel Engine is the Long Distance Cruising Range thanks to an very efficient motor & if you'd be in a G63 the amount of fuel stops in a long distance road trip would be significantly more, plus the added stress of finding High Octane fuel on Indian National Highways is monumental, where as in the 350 Diesel those would be the least of your concerns.

4) Looks similarly Intimidating;

This non AMG variant is similarly intimidating like its AMG sibling as the dimensions still remain the same & so does the driving position. If you pick the AMG Line body kit (which includes the option AMG Line rims too) then the Exterior is almost as Special.

5) Price;

The G 350d is INR 70L Cheaper than the G63 AMG. For any person who is rich, fairly rich or not so rich that is a big amount of money.
Those 70L is equivalent to an E Class thrown in the equation. Let me explain you this difference of amount in another way the G350d costs 30% LESS thank the G63 AMG. & Hence In My Opinion the G350d does a great job in bridging that affordability gap by some margin & also keeping that desirability quotient intact.

Verdict;

Mercedes understands the G-Wagen's position as a status symbol & hence the brand thinks the best way to maintain that image is to keep the product positioning very high & hence even though this is a much cheaper alternative to the G63 AMG it still is not affordable here in India.I know that these are only made in Austria & imported from there, but i still hope that one day Mercedes India's factory is so capable that they can get the CKD kits here and assemble one of these here.

Last edited by karan561 : 26th July 2020 at 21:59.
karan561 is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 10:35   #2
BHPian

Re: Review: Mercedes-Benz G 350 Diesel

Brilliant review Karan sir, as always. In the Team-BHP application form, I had stated that the G-Class is my favourite car, and it still is. The presence it evokes, is second to none. I do hope that Mercedes decides to assemble this locally using CKD kits, as it's still quite pricey for what it offers.

Interestingly, it should be noted that the infotainment system of the G-Class is not the latest system of Mercedes. Considering that an A-Class (abroad) gets the MBUX system, Mercedes should've atleast updated it for the 2020 model year. Other than that, this car is amazing. It looks good, is very competent off-road and is far more practical & better to drive than the previous generation. Those who get their hands on this beauty are fortunate.
BZ25 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 12:31   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review as always Karan! However, I have to beg to differ on the point you made about the cylinder deactivation tech not giving you all the cylinders you pay for. Cylinder deactivation is a very clever system and it only shuts the extra cylinders down when they are genuinely not needed, the second you put your leg on the throttle, all 8 cylinders are at your disposal. Infact, the G350d not having this tech is a downside.

While the G350d offers great value compared to the G63AMG, I'd rather pick up a preowned 2 year old G63AMG for the same price as a brand new G350d.

Can't believe I am actually saying this literally, as with the previous gen G55 AMG, I wondered why on earth would anyone buy this. However, the new gen G63 has really grown on me.
Sahil is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 14:32   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ25 View Post
Brilliant review Karan sir, as always.
Thanks for your appreciation
Quote:
In the Team-BHP application form, I had stated that the G-Class is my favourite car, and it still is. The presence it evokes, is second to none. I do hope that Mercedes decides to assemble this locally using CKD kits, as it's still quite pricey for what it offers.
Good to know.
Quote:
Interestingly, it should be noted that the infotainment system of the G-Class is not the latest system of Mercedes. Considering that an A-Class (abroad) gets the MBUX system, Mercedes should've atleast updated it for the 2020 model year.
Great point, that new MBUX system was missed.
Quote:
Other than that, this car is amazing. It looks good, is very competent off-road and is far more practical & better to drive than the previous generation. Those who get their hands on this beauty are fortunate.
True That !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Great review as always Karan!
Thanks Sahil
Quote:
However, I have to beg to differ on the point you made about the cylinder deactivation tech not giving you all the cylinders you pay for. Cylinder deactivation is a very clever system and it only shuts the extra cylinders down when they are genuinely not needed, the second you put your leg on the throttle, all 8 cylinders are at your disposal. Infact, the G350d not having this tech is a downside.
Yes, I've experienced it & I agree that the transition is seamless. BUT this Cylinder Deactivation technology, 4 cyls etc. Is something what hardcore enthusiasts like us make fun of & hence i mentioned the same in the video that in the Diesel you fire all the 6 cylinders what you paid for all the time.
Quote:
Can't believe I am actually saying this literally, as with the previous gen G55 AMG, I wondered why on earth would anyone buy this. However, the new gen G63 has really grown on me.
This gen is truly liveable v/s the outgoing version.
All the best !

Last edited by Aditya : 27th July 2020 at 23:27. Reason: ive to I've
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 20:10   #5
BHPian

Nice review!

You're the third person to put up a review with this particular G350d. Aggressive marketing by MB India or Autohangar Bombay?
AbelAFC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 22:51   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
Nice review!
Thanks

Quote:
Aggressive marketing by MB India or Autohangar Bombay?
This was a Mercedes-India Press car.

Usually its at the Chakan plant but due to the Pandemic its been parked at the AutoHangar, Mumbai

Last edited by karan561 : 27th July 2020 at 22:53.
Old 27th July 2020, 23:14   #7

It was a short and crisp review sir!
For someone aspiring to own a “G” irrespective of the power figures , 70 lakhs does make a lot of difference like you said.
Hope the prices reduce further if the localization happens in the near future,making it easier for the G-wagon fans(including me) to bring their dreams to life.
KP56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 19:00   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

The G 350d is INR 70L Cheaper than the G63 AMG. For any person who is rich, fairly rich or not so rich that is a big amount of money.... can get the CKD kits here and assemble one of these here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP56 View Post
For someone aspiring to own a “G” irrespective of the power figures , 70 lakhs does make a lot of difference like you said.

Actually, the difference is 78 Lac. 1,5 Cr vs 2,28 Cr But still, as per info from my Knowns, G63 is sold in much higher numbers, as large as 10 to 1 for Diesel in India. Some states have a preference for Diesel like in South and Punjab but tastes are changing fast.

If we factor the standard options that we get on the AMG vs Paid Options on the Diesel, the difference will be more like 65 or so. Any Diesel car which will be reasonably loaded will cost around 1,70 Cr Plus and the same way, AMG will be around 2,45 Cr. There are many options like Quilted seats and upholstery that are not available as an option on the Diesel.

Recently, I was checking G wagon for a friend and got a chance to see both together. I don't know why, but the diesel did appear to be a poor cousin of the AMG. Here's the picture of both.

Review: Mercedes-Benz G 350 Diesel-whatsapp-image-20200728-6.54.58-pm3.jpeg

Review: Mercedes-Benz G 350 Diesel-whatsapp-image-20200728-11.29.31-am.jpeg

Review: Mercedes-Benz G 350 Diesel-whatsapp-image-20200728-6.54.58-pm2.jpeg

Review: Mercedes-Benz G 350 Diesel-whatsapp-image-20200728-11.28.43-am.jpeg

Review: Mercedes-Benz G 350 Diesel-whatsapp-image-20200728-6.54.58-pm4.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
While the G350d offers great value compared to the G63AMG, I'd rather pick up a preowned 2 year old G63AMG for the same price as a brand new G350d.
. I don't think you will go the preowned route or need to go. There are some nice examples with MB/ Dealerships that you can pick right now instead of waiting 2 Years. If the previous generation is any reference, these retain their values unlike any other Luxury Car/ SUV.

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th July 2020 at 19:02.
Turbanator is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 20:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Recently, I was checking G wagon for a friend and got a chance to see both together. I don't know why, but the diesel did appear to be a poor cousin of the AMG. Here's the picture of both.

You definitely have to look like the richer cousin when you’re paying so much more.
There’s no doubt that the AMG is better and has the mafia looks,thanks to those beautiful AMG rims,the vertically slated grill and all the black treatment.
If one has that much money they can obviously go for the AMG just for the scream of that V8 and of course for all the bells and whistles it offers compared to the diesel.
The diesel is for people who’ve lost the battle on convincing their families on why they should spend so much more on the same car that gives lesser mileage
KP56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 11:55   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP56 View Post
It was a short and crisp review sir!
Thanks KP for your comments.
Quote:
YES ! Also it opens up cheaper & more practical options to own a G via the pre-owned market in the coming years.
Quote:
Hope the prices reduce further if the localization happens in the near future,making it easier for the G-wagon fans(including me) to bring their dreams to life.
Lets hope for the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Actually, the difference is 78 Lac. 1,5 Cr vs 2,28 Cr But still, as per info from my Knowns, G63 is sold in much higher numbers, as large as 10 to 1 for Diesel in India. Some states have a preference for Diesel like in South and Punjab but tastes are changing fast
Interesting info, thanks for sharing Saab !
Quote:
Here's the picture of both.
Thanks for sharing the pictures. Just loved the High Gloss Olive/Military Green colour of that AMG, seems superbly specced. Congratulations to the owner
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed