Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2020, 18:10   #241
BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
As promised, here are the dimensions of the filters. First let me define what I mean by the terms I'll be using later:
Thanks for sharing this Shashi. I think this is much needed in Bangalore as well and I am considering one for my Ritz. Although I drive with recirculation mode most of the time, sometimes when I try to intake fresh air I can feel the bad quality of air on the roads when it is sucked into the car. If this can help in such situation, nothing like it.

Need to check the dimensions if it will fit Ritz.

Have you got a chance to see does this make any perceivable difference in the feel of air quality inside the cabin ? I know even if we don't feel any difference the quality is supposed to be better. But I am wondering will it be more like black charcoal filters which are supposed to help but I personally never felt any difference after putting those in my car. May be my car didn't have any odour to begin with .
viscosity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 12:04   #242
BHPian

Quote:

Secondly, also take notice if the air tubes inside the dash can touch on bad roads or not. If anything has lesser clearance, better stuff something foam like in between.
Thanks for your suggestions Leoshashi. I didn't understand this part of your explanation (sorry for my limited knowledge).

Also when I was putting some foam behind the glove box (after removing it), I came across a very hot piece of engine part, I am not sure what it is, but it literally burnt my hand. Posting the pic for your reference (this was after a 30min ride on my Brezza ZDI+ AGS), it is behind the touch screen music system.

Is it normal ? anything to be reported to the service centre.

Please pardon me for lack of technical knowledge.

Regards.
Attached Thumbnails
My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-phonto.jpg  

smileline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 12:46   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Upgraded to PM 2.5 Cabin AC Filter:
My car had water ingress in July and carpet had got wet. Since then, there was a smell in cabin. I thought of changing the cabin filter and came across this post. Ordered from Boodmo and changed the filter to 2.5ppm one. But I'm surprised to see the quality of filter used in your XL6. I'll put up snaps for your reference.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_20201029_125042.jpg
The upper one is old one, MANN filter manufactured in Germany. Lower one is the new one, 2.5ppm filter.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_20201029_125051.jpg
This is the old filter. Notice the number of grooves.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_20201029_125101.jpg
Left side is old one, right is the new one. I did not find much of a difference between them. I didn't measure their weight as I don't have a weighing machine with such high calibration.
BoneCollector is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 12:54   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileline View Post
I am not sure what it is, but it literally burnt my hand. Posting the pic for your reference (this was after a 30min ride on my Brezza ZDI+ AGS), it is behind the touch screen music system.

Is it normal ? anything to be reported to the service centre.

Please pardon me for lack of technical knowledge.

Regards.
What I believe you have touched is the HVAC unit coolant re-circulation pipe. Our cars don't come with heating element, instead the engine coolant is circulated via a heat exchanger. During winter when we increase the cabin temperature, the air from the blower flows through the heat exchanger which warms up the cabin.

A 30 mins drive makes the engine reach its optimum operating temperature and the engine coolant temperature reaches almost 90 degrees, so you can easily get burned, so be very careful.

Cheers!
MadTiger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 13:08   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also when I was putting some foam behind the glove box (after removing it), I came across a very hot piece of engine part, I am not sure what it is, but it literally burnt my hand. Posting the pic for your reference (this was after a 30min ride on my Brezza ZDI+ AGS), it is behind the touch screen music system.

Regards.
That is called as 'heater core' or 'heater coil'. It will be hot because, coolant flows through it. The heat from the coolant circulating through the heater core is used to warm the cabin when the temperature selection from the HVAC panel is increased above the ambient temperature

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 29th October 2020 at 13:09.
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 13:19   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTiger View Post
What I believe you have touched is the HVAC unit coolant re-circulation pipe. Our cars don't come with heating element, instead the engine coolant is circulated via a heat exchanger. During winter when we increase the cabin temperature, the air from the blower flows through the heat exchanger which warms up the cabin.

A 30 mins drive makes the engine reach its optimum operating temperature and the engine coolant temperature reaches almost 90 degrees, so you can easily get burned, so be very careful.

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
That is called as 'heater core' or 'heater coil'. It will be hot because, coolant flows through it. The heat from the coolant circulating through the heater core is used to warm the cabin when the temperature selection from the HVAC panel is increased above the ambient temperature

Thanks, for allaying my apprehensions. Great to get help regarding all the technical queries on the Team-BHP. It relieves so much stress and teaches a non-technical person like me the finer details of how our cars are built.
smileline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 20:24   #247

Hi Shashi, I want to know if your TPMS is accurate. Also thanks for the info on the license plate LEDs previously.
universal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 21:17   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscosity View Post
Thanks for sharing this Shashi. I think this is much needed in Bangalore as well and I am considering one for my Ritz. Although I drive with recirculation mode most of the time, sometimes when I try to intake fresh air I can feel the bad quality of air on the roads when it is sucked into the car. If this can help in such situation, nothing like it.

Need to check the dimensions if it will fit Ritz.

Have you got a chance to see does this make any perceivable difference in the feel of air quality inside the cabin ? I know even if we don't feel any difference the quality is supposed to be better. But I am wondering will it be more like black charcoal filters which are supposed to help but I personally never felt any difference after putting those in my car. May be my car didn't have any odour to begin with .
One major difference I could feel is that it blocks smell of diesel fume very effectively. I recently crossed a coal mine, where smell of burnt coal was everywhere. And to my surprise, there was no smell inside car.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-n.jpg

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions Leoshashi. I didn't understand this part of your explanation (sorry for my limited knowledge).

As others have mentioned, its plumbing for Heater core. Make sure you don't do any rattle control around that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
But I'm surprised to see the quality of filter used in your XL6. I'll put up snaps for your reference.
Yes, 3rd gen Swift, Dzire, 2nd gen Ertiga and XL6 use same pathetic filter. Brezza, Ciaz, Old Swift etc use better filter with more surface area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by universal View Post
Hi Shashi, I want to know if your TPMS is accurate. Also thanks for the info on the license plate LEDs previously.
Yes the TPMS is very accurate, no complain yet.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 22:20   #249
BHPian

I am not sure if my driving patern is bad, but mine is returning consistently poor mileage. I was shocked recently on mixed highway city run which returned 12kmpl.

On another occasion mixed highway but single roads with 5 adult and 2 kids it returned 13.8 kmpl.

Couple of self analysis -
a) always drive with AC, never driven without.
b) use clutch only for shifting gears, so no resting or half clutch drives here.
c) shift up pretty quickly within 2k rpm. Don't usually lug the engine.
d) While taking caution if the speed drops as low as 40kmpl I pull it to cruising speed in the 5th gear itself unless overtake maneuver is required.
e) Sedate cruise control use.
f) 29 psi all round on stock ecopia's

On most occasion we are just 2 adults and 2 kids. Even on my blr - kol run I could not breach further than 16kmpl, once it was 17kmpl. I envy your 20+ kmpl numbers.

So wanted to understand if I am doing something wrong.

I haven't checked the air filter yet. But that's something I will get checked.

Other than that can't really fathom what else might go wrong.
MadTiger is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 23:07   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure if my driving patern is bad, but mine is returning consistently poor mileage. I was shocked recently on mixed highway city run which returned 12kmpl.

On another occasion mixed highway but single roads with 5 adult and 2 kids it returned 13.8 kmpl.

Couple of self analysis -
a) always drive with AC, never driven without.
b) use clutch only for shifting gears, so no resting or half clutch drives here.
c) shift up pretty quickly within 2k rpm. Don't usually lug the engine.
d) While taking caution if the speed drops as low as 40kmpl I pull it to cruising speed in the 5th gear itself unless overtake maneuver is required.

e) Sedate cruise control use.
f) 29 psi all round on stock ecopia's

On most occasion we are just 2 adults and 2 kids. Even on my blr - kol run I could not breach further than 16kmpl, once it was 17kmpl. I envy your 20+ kmpl numbers.

So wanted to understand if I am doing something wrong.

I haven't checked the air filter yet. But that's something I will get checked.

Other than that can't really fathom what else might go wrong.
Check the bold part, this is where you are going wrong!

Your driving style is more in line with what the system suggests on the speedo console. Avoid that. I pull hard and quickly in each gear. I don't know how to explain, but if you need to slow down to 50 and reach again to cruising speed of say 90kmph, downshift to 3rd, pull hard, reach 90 and then maintain by feathering throttle.

By being in lower gears, you will be able to attain speeds with lesser throttle opening, thus lesser fuel input. Reset your fuel efficiency readout, drive this way(and have fun) and then report what mileage figures you see. I'm sure you will see better efficiency. Even I was doing same mistake earlier of shifting early and then building speeds, but that kills efficiency and I too was getting 12kmpl.

Do note that this is a Petrol vehicle with very less torque. So 5th/6th gear style overtakes/speed build @ 1700rpm doesn't work here!

To be brutally honest, 20kmpl is hard to achieve, depends a lot on traffic too. But 17-18kmpl can be easily attained.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 23:44   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

...While taking caution if the speed drops as low as 40kmpl I pull it to cruising speed in the 5th gear itself unless overtake maneuver is required.
Don't worry at all - 13.8 kmpl with 5 adults and 2 children is good FE as petrol engines are sensitive to weight and loading. Just ensure your air pressures (check when tires are cold) are as per your loading - 7 & 8 seaters have different rated tire pressures based on # of occupants.

For highway cruising, I'd advice not to drive in 5th at 40 km/h. Play around with your engine and keep it between 1500-2500 rpm for the happy compromise between FE + performance.

Maintain a steady speed and enjoy your drive.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 29th October 2020 at 23:46.
landcruiser123 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 09:53   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Check the bold part, this is where you are going wrong!

Your driving style is more in line with what the system suggests on the speedo console. Avoid that. I pull hard and quickly in each gear. I don't know how to explain, but if you need to slow down to 50 and reach again to cruising speed of say 90kmph, downshift to 3rd, pull hard, reach 90 and then maintain by feathering throttle.

Regards,
Shashi
Thanks Sashi, will report the updated figures as per your recommendation, the TPMS is on the way so post installation will provide the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Don't worry at all - 13.8 kmpl with 5 adults and 2 children is good FE as petrol engines are sensitive to weight and loading.

Maintain a steady speed and enjoy your drive.
Thank you for the advise, just noticed that I did a typo with the FE figure it was 12.8 and not 13.8
Anyhow with all the recommendation I will update the new figures.
MadTiger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 23:27   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sashi, will report the updated figures as per your recommendation, the TPMS is on the way so post installation will provide the update.
Brilliant decision. Which one did you go with?

BTW Which tyres are you running on?
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 07:36   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Brilliant decision. Which one did you go with?

BTW Which tyres are you running on?
I have become an avid follower of yours Ordered the MANATEC TPMS along with an extra sensor.

I am running the stock ecopia's, with stepney changed to alloy while taking delivery.
MadTiger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 14:59   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the advise, just noticed that I did a typo with the FE figure it was 12.8 and not 13.8
Anyhow with all the recommendation I will update the new figures.
On my last long drive from Jodhpur to Mumbai (900+ kms) FE with my automatic was 15.8

Did a recent Goa-Mumbai-Goa with the expressway and ghats on the way the FE dropped to 14. Both these trips were with the 3 people on board along with luggage and a roof box. The Roof box creates drag and the FE drops for sure. My car has done just about 4000kms on the odo.
Attached Thumbnails
My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-whatsapp-image-20201030-4.07.23-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by lionell : 2nd November 2020 at 15:01.
lionell is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks