Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2020, 21:02   #31
BHPian

re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Congrats LeoShashi on the car and the beautiful and detailed review. Anyone looking to buy XL6 can go through your review to make an informed decision, since the Pros and Cons are laid out very well.

My observations during the test drive correlates to most of the points you have mentioned. Your inputs on the free revving K15B engine was also a revelation.

My only worry is if i will be able to use the manual version as a daily driver in Bangalore traffic (once it returns to normal).

The CSUVs that am also checking out do not offer any space on the inside at all, over my hatchback and its only for convenience that one has to to buy them. Doesn't feel like an upgrade. So it's quite tempting to go for a car like XL6 at the same price point as a CSUV!
NFS2024 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 21:23   #32
BHPian

Congrats on the new car Leoshashi sir.
A very good review of an equally good vehicle.
Good choice.

We all are aware how well you maintain your 800.
And with your expertise and knowledge, it's sure that XL6 will also get the similar care and maintainance.
With regular updates to this thread from you in future, surely, this thread along with Parag sir's Ertiga thread are going to be a point of reference for many of the Ertiga and XL6 owners.

Wishing you a trouble free ownership and lots of miles and smiles with your XL6.

We too own a Ertiga ZDI in our garage.
(My father's daily workhorse)
Its a practical vehicle which can cater to different needs.
It has good drivability, adequate features, boot space(with third row folded), Good seating, occasional 7 seater, easy maintenance etc.

If at all XL6 was launched at the time we bought Ertiga(2013), It was a no brainier that we too would have finalized on XL6.

The black Interiors and that beautiful steering makes the cabin feel far more premium than Ertiga's beige interiors.
(The only thing I hate about Ertiga)

Thanks to your thread,
Suppose if the need arises to change our Ertiga in future, the next replacement will be a XL6 automatic for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Miscellaneous:

18. Like the XL6 but doubtful about captain seats? Well the aftermarket has solution for that as well:

For Crysta:
Can you please throw some more light on these seats?
Are they available online?
Might be helpful for our crysta and also one of my friends was in search of something similar.
Hence the interest.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Chandan
DLC5005 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 21:56   #33
BHPian

Congratulations once again Shashi. Your review is fabulously penned. Will be getting delivery of my XL6 Automatic on Saturday. I loved the VVT decal you have on the wheel well and have ordered the same from Boodmo. Thank you so much once again for the advice on the tyres as well.

Will try penning a initial ownership review, though it may not be as detailed as your.
lionell is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 23:20   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrn View Post
Apart from the exceptional review and the photography, the best part I liked was your acknowledgement section. Yes. Team bhp is a platform where people like us can voice our concerns and get them addressed. True that even Gto is a very approachable guy and helpful too and then everyone here is helpful.
Happy miles on your ride brother. Loved it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Excellent review! Congrats on the car. I am sure it will be pampered and will have the distinction of being the best maintained XL6 in the country just like that sweet 800 of yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_narender View Post
Congratulations Leoshashi on your new car.
And Thank you for a meticulous initial ownership review. Enjoyed every bit. Can’t wait for the future mods & the related posts.
+1 on the acknowledgement post.

Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kottayamkaran View Post
Now that's an excellent review and very detailed capturing the minute details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Excellent review!
Congrats on your acquisition of the XL6, Maruti Suzuki has done a great job in getting this car in their portfolio and is now reaping success of it.

Wishing you a blissful ownership and am sure you will keeping updating this thread as you reach milestones ahead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Here's wishing you countless kilometers of happy, pleasurable and memorable motoring behind the wheels of your XL6. I am also sure that we will get to learn from you a lot about the XL6 as a product itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Excellent review Shashi.
So once again congratulations on the first car and wishing you and the passengers many happy and safe miles. God bless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
First things first! A big congratulation on getting your ‘own’ first car. It is always going to be special.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Excellent review Shashi. Congrats on your first car.
Wishing you miles and miles of fuss free ownership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
You bought the car, but the level of discussions we had, it seemed like I was buying the car . I know for sure that stars must have aligned in right places when this car was rolled out, that it landed in your garage. That, it would get the best possible international upgrades and care from you.

Stay safe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Congratulations on a truly remarkable car as your first own car!

Wishing you miles and miles of happy driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Congrats LeoShashi on an amazing purchase. Wish you Lakhs of KMs of happiness with your new ride. Nice write up and amazing pictures.
Enjoy your new ride!
Thanks a lot, Gentlemen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Ertiga had a weak point in the ride quality for the last row passengers. How is it in the XL6?
Can you elaborate on the weakness a bit? The last row is low on space, but it's as good or bad as any MPV's 3rd row, except the Marazzo and the Carnival IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Edit: Now that you have a bigger and more spacious car kindly find ahem someone to fill up the empty seats .
That's been the talk in my family circle, a bachelor buying a 6 seater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejithkk View Post
Congrats LeoShashi for this excellent review on one of the best VFM car. Just a question though - Have you ever considered the addition of the MGA rear spoiler as an accessory?
I feel it might further enhance the look of this car.

I do own the Magma grey Ertiga ZXi+ and when I bought I felt the rear look was incomplete till I added the rear spoiler, which costed Rs 4999 in 2019. I very well like the black interior of XL6 as cleaning the beige interior of my car is a real pain, and black interior and the wood trim along with the silver border further enhance the interior look compared to that of Ertiga.
While I agree it needs a spoiler, I didn't install it because of the holes they drill. I have seen this causing rust, leaks etc in the long run since most of them install it wrong, without following the SOP.

This thread further discouraged me: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ti-dealer.html (Lousy installation of MGA roof spoiler by Popular Killipalam (Maruti dealer))

I witnessed many XL6s and Ertigas getting spoilers, but could never gather courage to do that with my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post

Have a White XL6 bought in November 2019, and am quite happy with it. Primary reason was ease of entry for Mom. When I got the car in November, the Maruti Connect option for the head unit wasn't available. Since the pandemic, haven't checked back with the dealer. Was wondering if you considered it and your thoughts on it. Seems like a good thing to have when Mom goes with drivers to keep track. No trips since the pandemic, but was thinking about getting it for the future.
A slight peeve with the car, the light grey trims in the bottom of the car seems very vulnerable to scratch even with shrubs. Thinking of wrapping just that part in white.
Avoid it boss. I recently had this discussion with my RM, he said they have to dismantle a lot of dashboard parts to install it. Secondly, the device being network based, is known to malfunction frequently. So I don't see any use of that device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post

My only worry is if i will be able to use the manual version as a daily driver in Bangalore traffic (once it returns to normal).

The CSUVs that am also checking out do not offer any space on the inside at all, over my hatchback and its only for convenience that one has to to buy them. Doesn't feel like an upgrade. So it's quite tempting to go for a car like XL6 at the same price point as a CSUV!
Yes the engine is a gem. Do take a long TD of both Manual and Automatic XL6 once.

All options in CUV segment are a compromise in some way or the other. For a mid size hatch owner, it makes no sense unless you need that high seating and GC.

You may take a TD of the S Cross once if you don't need those 6 seats. For me, I loved the comfort of the middle row seats. Hence XL6 for me is more like a spacious 4 seater with a large boot. That's how it will be used for majority of its life.

Also, don't get repelled by "4 speed automatic". It's in fact quite competent for city and regular highway use. If you are a fast driver, avoid it. If you like relaxed laid back driving, you will like the auto box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLC5005 View Post
Can you please throw some more light on these seats?
Are they available online?
Might be helpful for our crysta and also one of my friends was in search of something similar.
Hence the interest.
I'll post the vendor details here as soon as I get it. Give me a couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post

Will try penning a initial ownership review, though it may not be as detailed as your.
Congratulations boss, do post pics of your XL6 once it comes home. Which color and variant is it?

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 00:13   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Slight OCD moved aside for full blown OCD reading the first part of the report.

Used to read your 800 thread and sigh, never going to be the compulsive DIYer you are.
But your car buying experience has given new standards to emulate.

Narrowing down on the freshest of the lot, confirming and reconfirming even from the factory.
Checking paint depth, looking for assembly line marks (stickers and markers,right?)

Doing your PDI and also being present at the dealer's PDI.
Fresh microfibre cloths for the cleaners to wipe down the car, requesting them not to polish the car. Pre-torqued torque wrench ready for tyre change. Even worried about the lemons' effect on the tyres.
A comprehensive underbody coating and new clips for trims to avoid rattles.
And all part number, Made in details with the prices.

The car detail worshipping enthusiast's wet dream, alas most just skip these for convenience or trust or dealers know what they r doing attitude.

Glad to know the new Ertiga/XL6 gets underbody reinforcements and also the Maruti pet peeve of sticky non returning action steering is rectified here.

About the XL6 door panels having less flex than Ertiga, maybe the door patches you have mentioned in another thread is the reason?

Also the placement of the second battery underneath the front seats. Feels kinda vulnerable. Monsoons..wet footwear...also the fact that the area under the seat always get dirty and dusty.
Sure they may have sealed it and has a protection rating, still.

Wish you many more happy kilometres, and going by your 800's history, more DIY and improvements are yet to come, surpassing even the best factory spec that Maruti or Suzuki can offer.

btw. The excuse for not buying the Harrier is kinda justifiable, yet silly at the same time!!.
DicKy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 00:15   #36
BHPian

Congratulations Mr. Master Restorer and Mr. Attention to Detail for the fantastic and wonderful purchase. I know why GG had to be retired this early and remember the discussions we had regarding the purchase. To see your mom climb onto the vehicle that easy was well and truly what sealed the deal in favour of the XL6 else you would've been seen driving around an S-Presso :P

Do post regular updates on the vehicles and all the DIY done to the vehicle. I'm sure noobs like myself will be very encouraged and entertained seeing your DIY's and try whichever seems feasible onto our vehicles.

Once again, Congratulations. I'll take the treat when I come down to Ranchi.

Regards,
Subhra
tacho9000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 00:58   #37
BHPian

Brilliant stuff there! Learnt so many new things about this car which sets it's apart from Ertiga. Yes, i used to be one of those who would think why did MSIL even launch this when Ertiga is still around. But obviously, I did not have a keen eye to really appreciate this premium MPV.

Truly a value proposition and i think you got it at a stellar price too, the insurance package especially.

I am sure XL6 will pick up further from here on as many sitting on the fence would have taken a leap with Leoshashi reposing faith in the car

And yes the answer to the question regarding S-Cross was indeed needed.
I did wonder what tilted the decision in favour of XL6 and i think your reasoning makes sense. This is a more practical and flexible of the two and more of a family car, a criteria you had set out for yourself.

Congratulations once again and i am sure you are going to cherish this journey!

Congratulations to existing owners and prospective buyers also, for their ownership experience is sorted now with this guy laying his hands on this exclusive car

Last edited by torque18 : 27th August 2020 at 01:03.
torque18 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 01:33   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
..... looking for assembly line marks (stickers and markers,right?)
Zoom on any pic from PDI or delivery, and you will see white marks across panels. They'll look somewhat like scratches. They are temporary marks given during QC checks for panel gaps, parts installed, etc.

I paid special attention to those.

Quote:
Doing your PDI and also being present at the dealer's PDI.
Fresh microfibre cloths for the cleaners to wipe down the car, requesting them not to polish the car. Pre-torqued torque wrench ready for tyre change. Even worried about the lemons' effect on the tyres.
A comprehensive underbody coating and new clips for trims to avoid rattles.
I'd like to recite one of the famous quotes by Late Behram Dhabar Sir: "There is only one way to do any job and that is the correct way. Either you do a perfect job or you do not do it at all. There is no other way. "

Quote:

About the XL6 door panels having less flex than Ertiga, maybe the door patches you have mentioned in another thread is the reason?
Not sure. An interesting DIY is coming up soon where I'll need to open the doorpads. Will be in a better position to answer you then.

Quote:
Also the placement of the second battery underneath the front seats. Feels kinda vulnerable. Monsoons..wet footwear...also the fact that the area under the seat always get dirty and dusty.
Sure they may have sealed it and has a protection rating, still.
Yes, it's vulnerable for sure. I'm more worried about cases where the cars get submerged. Still, this is the standard placement I believe for such cars. Even the Hector gets at the same place IIRC.

By wet footwear, it cannot get damaged as it's placed too ahead. I had to push the front seats all the way forward to take that shot.

Quote:

btw. The excuse for not buying the Harrier is kinda justifiable, yet silly at the same time!!.

Indeed. Harrier vs XL6 was a classic case of Head vs Heart. Head said XL6 is enough, heart wanted the Harrier.

However I don't have the guts to buy a new car and keep it unattended on public roads or in office parking. And just to give you an idea, even the XL6 is a squeeze at the turn they have erected an illegal pillar. I barely have 3 inches gap between the pillar and the rear wheel arch during a turn. Harrier was simply impossible to maneuver there on a daily basis due to the width and enormous turning radius.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 10:36   #39
BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Congratulations LeoShashi for getting your "first car"
Happy to see Golden Goose sharing garage space with your new car ( time to name it ?? ) and what lucky this XL6 would be as it found your home.

I am sure this is going to be the best beater car ever found on road
You have definitely raised the bar for people planning to buy new car to tick the right boxes before taking delivery.
Looking forward for more such updates, detailing and DIY jobs and wishing you and your family miles of safe drives in your new car
Cooltronics is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 10:45   #40
BHPian

This XL6 is probably the luckiest car on Team BHP. You take worshiping your cars to the next level. From now on, whenever someone calls me too obsessed with my cars, I'll simply point to your thread and say "Really"?

Hope you enjoy the next few decades with your XL6! Congrats!
d3mon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 11:17   #41
NTO
BHPian

Thank you for the beautiful review of the XL6. It is not a car you want but, all the car you need in India. Maruti simply nails it when it comes to market sentiments. They know the market better than the market knows itself! Though the 1.5 petrol is not very enthusiastic, it is adequate and does its job well. Also, in a family car, when you are travelling with family, you will not be essentially driving very enthusiastically. I was also surprised to see how useful the third row is!

Your steps taken from the time of booking till delivery are 100% what Team BHP recommends and it was beautiful to travel along with your beautiful writing style.

One thing that surprised me is that, my Vento TDi back in 2014, was 9.99 ex showroom and came to 11.72 on road. Your car is 10.xx exshowroom and still costs 11.96 on road. May I know why is it so? Has there been a reduction in tax or something?

The color is phenomenal and would be my pick as well if I were to buy a XL6. My recommended list of upgrades to the car would be a complete damping, doors, floors etc along with an audio upgrade, I experienced the audio and it was just satisfactory.

Wishing you many happy miles on your first car and I am sure Maruti will not take you by surprise at all!

Last edited by NTO : 27th August 2020 at 11:21.
NTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 11:41   #42
BHPian

Congratulations for your new acquisition!
Excellent review and photographs.

I believe this review will serve as a base for the fellow members and others out there who fortifies their resolution to purchase XL6.

Wishing you good luck.
Take care.
adv.yzr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 11:48   #43
KPR
BANNED

Excellent ownership review. I cannot even imagine the nano level that you've gone from selecting the car from yard to delivery. You're a monk for sure to get things done from a typical Indian dealer. Coming to this product XL6, I think all the loyal MS customers who wanted a Ciaz, S Cross, Vitara Brezza in diesel budget will look towards Ertiga/XL6 petrol as their next car. Who doesn't want extra seats!
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 11:50   #44
BHPian

Congratulations on the XL6, the first car bought with one's own money is always special. Wishing you many happy miles with the car. Wonderfully compiled review, will help prospective XL6 customers. The XL6 as a product seems competent, with its USP being space & comfort. Being a Maruti, it should be reliable & cheap to maintain.

I hope you will continue to take care of GG like before & also keep driving her regularly (even if not as much as before) .

Last edited by chiranjitp : 27th August 2020 at 11:52.
chiranjitp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 11:57   #45
BHPian

Congratulations!!! The review is so well written and it almost seems as if with the XL6 your dream came true and the wait was worth it.
sv97 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks