Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2021, 23:51   #451
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossLife View Post
Hi Shashi, what about wheel alignment and balancing?
Both services are entirely need based for me. Both can be easily felt/checked whenever they go wrong. Wheels were balanced around 5k km back when TPMS sensors were installed, and alignment is perfect as of now, so not getting it fiddled unnecessarily.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 23:50   #452
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
While I agree it needs a spoiler, I didn't install it because of the holes they drill. I have seen this causing rust, leaks etc in the long run since most of them install it wrong, without following the SOP.

I witnessed many XL6s and Ertigas getting spoilers, but could never gather courage to do that with my car.
An incident which further cemented my belief of not going with spoiler installation. While I was at the bodyshop to get the denting done, I spotted this new Swift which had come in for some repairs along with water leak and rusting issue. The culprit was:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210407_160739.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210407_160728.jpg

Leoshashi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 03:51   #453
BHPian

Hello Leoshashi,
Sorry to read about the accident. However, such mishaps are a part of life and cannot be avoided. It's good that you braked in time and saved the life of that person, no matter how stupid he was. I hope the XL6 has been repaired back to perfection. Looking froward to seeing the results!
Old 10th April 2021, 08:54   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Update: Got the 3rd Free/10k service done on 2nd April. Booked home service via MS Rewards app and also requested Workshop GM of Hilltop Motors Ranchi, Mr. Rajiv Chakraborty to source 0W16 Shell oil for me.
Maybe i am an old fogey, but I am worried by this recent trend to go for very thin oils. My Santro oil change was done with 0W20 semi synth.

I feel a 10W30 or 10W40 oil would be more appropriate for the temperatures prevailing in Pune and most of the Deccan plateau. Your views please!
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 10:18   #455
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunalsingh View Post
Hello Leoshashi,
Sorry to read about the accident. However, such mishaps are a part of life and cannot be avoided. It's good that you braked in time and saved the life of that person, no matter how stupid he was. I hope the XL6 has been repaired back to perfection. Looking froward to seeing the results!
Yes bro, these things are unavoidable on our roads. I'm actually happy that it's the XL6 which took the brunt and not my 800, that would have been really painful and disastrous.

Due to paucity of time, I wasn't able to get it sorted at one go. Got it dented one day, primered some other day and was painted couple of days later. What I can assure you, paintjob has come out very nice, the best I have seen till now in aftermarket paintjobs, before polish! Stay tuned and the entire bodyshop saga will be a treat to read. Some work remains, like polishing and repasting the Emblems, let's see when I'm able to complete them.

Leaving you guys with some teaser pics:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210407_164404.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210410_101344.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Maybe i am an old fogey, but I am worried by this recent trend to go for very thin oils. My Santro oil change was done with 0W20 semi synth.

I feel a 10W30 or 10W40 oil would be more appropriate for the temperatures prevailing in Pune and most of the Deccan plateau. Your views please!
How old is that Santro? If 0W20 is recommended by Hyundai then it's fine. If not, it's a disaster and get it replaced ASAP.

I'm fine with low viscosity oils being used these days, as long as it is the one recommended by the manufacturer. Engines these days are built to extremely tighter tolerances and to reduce the parasitic drag and engine warm up time, manufacturers are pushing for lower viscosity oils. Engines and oils are designed as a package to push for more efficiency. Also I'd rather trust manufacturer's recommendation than going with how I "feel" about an oil.

Another thing worth sharing is the compatibility of 0W16 oils. Quoting a famous website, "In the U.S., 0W16 oils were going to be part of the ILSAC GF-6 rollout as GF-6B oil. What is significant about GF-6B oils is that the specification will not be backward compatible because of the new viscosity grades. GF-6A lubricants being backward compatible means that GF-6A engine oils of the appropriate conventional viscosity grade are acceptable for use in cars whose owner’s manuals recommended previous GF categories (GF-1 through GF-5). GF-6B engine oils should only be used when recommended by the OEM (follow the owner’s manual). 0W8 is another planned viscosity that will be in the GF-6B category."

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 19:07   #456
BHPian

Quote:
An incident which further cemented my belief of not going with spoiler installation. While I was at the bodyshop to get the denting done, I spotted this new Swift which had come in for some repairs along with water leak and rusting issue. The culprit was:

So bumper protection caused the water leak and rusting?
Old 10th April 2021, 19:16   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
So bumper protection caused the water leak and rusting?
That's the roof spoiler.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 01:00   #458
BHPian

Shashi and other fellow XL6 owners here, How do you find the AC’s effectiveness? I am not sure if it is specific to our car but the AC is a bit of a hit or a miss from the very first day

Also another strange thing is that as the winters were retreating in Delhi and we didn’t need to use the AC, the cabin would at times get uncomfortably warm and stuffy requiring us to switch on the AC. This wasn’t the case with any other cars being used at the same time

What could be the issue?
Old 11th April 2021, 06:36   #459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post
Shashi and other fellow XL6 owners here, How do you find the AC’s effectiveness? I am not sure if it is specific to our car but the AC is a bit of a hit or a miss from the very first day

Also another strange thing is that as the winters were retreating in Delhi and we didn’t need to use the AC, the cabin would at times get uncomfortably warm and stuffy requiring us to switch on the AC. This wasn’t the case with any other cars being used at the same time

What could be the issue?
I did notice this issue in TD car when XL6 was launched and had posted about it on forum somewhere that the AC didn't seem adequate, at first I couldn't spot the source of the issue and didn't bother much either, but during our car purchase last year, I noticed that the TD car's external temperature display was getting stuck at times and that's when the AC was acting funny. It was around 20 degrees outside but the external temperature display was showing 8 degrees, and thus there was no cooling from the AC. ACC compares the external, internal and desired temperature and automatically cranks up or down the cooling/blower speed etc. Do observe if this is an issue with your car too.

Also till now my desired temperature range was set at 24 degrees, but since the summers have started, I have set the temperature to 22 degrees and its decent. I have to put it at low only when car has been baking in the sun for sometime or if I need immediate cooling. Obviously the AC has to work a bit hard due to the huge glass area and all that heat coming inside. But it never gets uncomfortable or inadequate. If there are passengers in rear, do make sure to turn on the roof AC too.

Regarding your 2nd issue, do check the ventilation vent flaps once behind your rear bumper.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 09:54   #460
BHPian

Quote:

How old is that Santro? If 0W20 is recommended by Hyundai then it's fine. If not, it's a disaster and get it replaced ASAP.
Shashi
It is a 2008 model with almost 70k kms on the odometer. Current running is 200-300 kms maximum per month, mostly for taking parents to medical care and back.
I will change the oil asap. Thanks.
Old 11th April 2021, 10:24   #461

I bought my XL6 3 months ago. I noticed that it would take a good 5 minutes to cool the entire cabin on a sunny day while the car has been parked under the monstrous sun. I had a verna before and it felt quicker, but the room size was smaller too. I always turn on the blowers in backside even while I travel alone and when I don’t turn it on, the cabin just doesn’t feel comfortable. Overall I do not have anything to complain about the AC; touchwood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post

What could be the issue?
nextgearthiru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 16:11   #462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
It is a 2008 model with almost 70k kms on the odometer. Current running is 200-300 kms maximum per month, mostly for taking parents to medical care and back.
I will change the oil asap. Thanks.
Change to recommended grade, refer to your owner's manual, should be a W30 or W40 oil. Change ASAP and never allow this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextgearthiru View Post
I bought my XL6 3 months ago. I noticed that it would take a good 5 minutes to cool the entire cabin on a sunny day while the car has been parked under the monstrous sun. I had a verna before and it felt quicker, but the room size was smaller too. I always turn on the blowers in backside even while I travel alone and when I don’t turn it on, the cabin just doesn’t feel comfortable. Overall I do not have anything to complain about the AC; touchwood!
You can also try opening all windows briefly for a moment, with ventilation set to Fresh air intake and AC on full blast. This helps to cool the car much quicker if it has been parked under sun for quite long. After a minute or two, roll up the windows and switch to recirculation mode for AC to work efficiently. Till now I haven't felt the need of turning on rear AC when I'm alone in the car, fingers crossed for future.

Another practice I have been following since many years now, whenever I wash my cars, I point the pressure washer to condenser from a 6 ft distance, this helps a lot in keeping the condenser clean and hence performing optimally.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 23:29   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Update: Footwell lamp added! The XL6 is as well equipped as a cave, specially when compared to Brezza or Baleno. One of the many things I missed in this car was a warm welcome the footwell lamp provides. At the same time, I wasn't ready for those insanely bright setups by LED strips, needed something more "OEM" looking. Well, in MGA, there are some options. Celerio got footwell lamp option as MGA in Orange color, while old WagonR got it in dark blue. Opted for more subtle Celerio's setup.
Every time I come back to your thread there is definitely some news or surprise. I so longed to get this done. Ordered the part right away. Will keep you posted once I get the part and work on it. Looks pretty straight forward and as always your detailed instructions helps a lot. Thank you!

Quote:
Bad day for the XL6, and first dent: This chap was carrying a load on his shoulder, and was carelessly crossing the road and suddenly came in my way. I did manage to brake in time, but there was a WagonR which was tailgating me too closely and ended up crashing into me. The cladding did take a lot of brunt but the hood of WagonR touched my hatch and dented it.

This broke my heart. But I am glad everyone was safe and the damage was limited. Saw the post repairs pictures and definitely its has been restored to original.

Quote:
I did notice this issue in TD car when XL6 was launched and had posted about it on forum somewhere that the AC didn't seem adequate, at first I couldn't spot the source of the issue and didn't bother much either, but during our car purchase last year, I noticed that the TD car's external temperature display was getting stuck at times and that's when the AC was acting funny. It was around 20 degrees outside but the external temperature display was showing 8 degrees, and thus there was no cooling from the AC. ACC compares the external, internal and desired temperature and automatically cranks up or down the cooling/blower speed etc. Do observe if this is an issue with your car too.
I have noticed this issue with my car too. (well still don't know if this is as an issue) My car is always parked in basement 2 in my apartment. It is generally colder than outside temperature. So for example when I start my car in the morning the outside temperature shows 24. After I begin to drive it takes a good 10 to 15 mins or even more to calibrate the actual outside temperature. The other day I was driving around noon. Outside temperature was 34 degrees but the car was showing 28 degrees. So far it has not caused me major issues since I just lower the AC temperature and it cools quickly.

Stay safe, wear a mask always and drive safe.

Cheers,
Aniruddha
MadTiger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 15:27   #464
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the car looks better without any logos/emblems on the hatch door.

What do you think, Shashi?
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 18:44   #465
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTiger View Post
I have noticed this issue with my car too. (well still don't know if this is as an issue) My car is always parked in basement 2 in my apartment. It is generally colder than outside temperature. So for example when I start my car in the morning the outside temperature shows 24. After I begin to drive it takes a good 10 to 15 mins or even more to calibrate the actual outside temperature. The other day I was driving around noon. Outside temperature was 34 degrees but the car was showing 28 degrees. So far it has not caused me major issues since I just lower the AC temperature and it cools quickly.
The sensor is located behind the front left fog lamp housing, you may access it from behind the grill. I haven't tried it yet. In my car the sensor is pretty responsive and haven't caused any issue yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I think the car looks better without any logos/emblems on the hatch door.

What do you think, Shashi?
While I'm not a big fan of debadged look, I'm forced to sport this appearance as the XL6 emblem isn't in stock anywhere in my state. Placing an order will need 5-7 days for part to arrive, so opted to get it shipped. DBHPian BoneCollector has shipped it today, and I hope to receive it in a day or two. Need to finish the polishing work by then.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: Managed to click a pic of the XL6 yesterday besides a freshly delivered S Presso, which incidentally was the model I had decided to purchase in the first place.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210412_183324.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks