Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2021, 22:07   #571
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

What happens if SHVS equipped car gets flooded and its auxiliary battery conks off:

This case came to a MASS and the owner chose not to replace the battery. When disconnected, car worked like a normal car, without the SHVS functions. So no sweat when anything bad happens. Just bottom end torque feels a lot weaker.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img20210726wa0036.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 13:48   #572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
[
This case came to a MASS and the owner chose not to replace the battery. When disconnected, car worked like a normal car, without the SHVS functions. So no sweat when anything bad happens. Just bottom end torque feels a lot weaker.
I think most owners will end up doing this when something happens to the Lithium battery since its difficult to convince anyone of a 50k rupee battery that hardly would make a difference to the average owner when it comes to the mileage or performance. And it would also be better for the owner to also remove the battery from the car if it has just been disconnected since that is a fire hazard after being flooded and left unused.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 14:43   #573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I think most owners will end up doing this when something happens to the Lithium battery since its difficult to convince anyone of a 50k rupee battery that hardly would make a difference to the average owner when it comes to the mileage or performance.
True

Quote:
And it would also be better for the owner to also remove the battery from the car if it has just been disconnected since that is a fire hazard after being flooded and left unused.
Yes it has been removed and the terminals have been insulated.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 10:00   #574
BHPian

Quote:
had planned to ensure the opening faces downwards, but the Hellas were a tight fit. Hence opening is facing sideward. But since the location is well sealed from all directions, possibility of water ingress is low.
If you inter-change the left & right ones, maybe you could position the openings downwards or facing each other.
crdi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 10:15   #575
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
If you inter-change the left & right ones, maybe you could position the openings downwards or facing each other.
I've chosen the location as per the original installation of High and low pitch horns. Sound is awesome as of now.

I've planned something, have asked my mechanic to get me few OEM mounts of Maruti horns of a decided length. Have something in mind. That should hopefully fix the issue.

Regards,
Shashi
Old 28th July 2021, 11:15   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Hellas:
Replaced:
Hi Shahsi!

Please show how you fixed the stock wires to the horn. As far as I know, the Hella horns don't come with couplers, while the stock wire for horns has couplers. How did you deal with this problem?

Thanks.
Big Smoke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 12:06   #577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
Hi Shahsi!

Please show how you fixed the stock wires to the horn. As far as I know, the Hella horns don't come with couplers, while the stock wire for horns has couplers. How did you deal with this problem?

Thanks.
Hella horns get the same spade type connector which stock horn had, so there was absolutely no need of any modification in between. It was plug and play.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-images-11-5.jpeg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 13:51   #578
BHPian

Quote:
The Glaco coating is working great, here is a video when car is stationary
Hi Shashi, this looks an absolute must to me, I feel this helps guys like me who do not prefer driving in rains. This should also help in less wiper noise as the wiper motor has to work less here.

Can this be applied to the ORVM's?
Is there any issue we might face from the cops?
viren83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 14:37   #579
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viren83 View Post
Hi Shashi, this looks an absolute must to me, I feel this helps guys like me who do not prefer driving in rains. This should also help in less wiper noise as the wiper motor has to work less here.

Can this be applied to the ORVM's?
Is there any issue we might face from the cops?
Some points regarding Glaco:

1. Can be applied on any glass surface. I have it on all my windows and I get crystal clear view all around.

2. Application is a bit tricky since its easy to go wrong. In simple words application is: Apply completely and uniformly on glass, let it dry for 10 minutes, meanwhile keep a clean damp cloth ready, wipe it clean to remove the residue and simultaneously clean with a dry cloth to reveal clear vision. Any kind of haziness will result in issues later. I'm mentioning this since I have come across few people who attempted it and failed, and then had wiper jumping/noise/streaking issues. That can be cured only with multiple wipes of IPA. Anyways nothing to be scared of, and if the instructions are followed religiously, good result is guaranteed. I have it on all my cars and have never faced issue which some face.

3. No issue with Cops as it's entirely transparent coating.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 15:17   #580
Distinguished - BHPian

The horn is much needed upgrade on all Maruti cars!

Quote:
PS: The Glaco coating is working great, here is a video when car is stationary:
Nice job done by the coating. I get a similar hydrophobic effect with the Turtle Hybrid ceramic spray. Check out this small clip recorded few days ago.

It is easy to apply - spray, wipe and then buff. Stays for couple of months though reapplying after a month is better.
ashis89 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 19:05   #581
BHPian

Quote:

I first tried Crysta's horn set since it's too irritating and gets the attention immediately. However DBHPian Parag convinced me that Hella Chrome trumpets should do the job even better and that I should try it. Placed an order on Amazon yesterday and was delivered today.
Hi Shashi,

I have been looking for a good pair of horns to change out our 2016 Honda City's horns. They're stupid meek. I had noticed that most hella kits come with a relay, is this because stock wiring cannot handle the power requirements of the aftermarket horns??

What are the things I should consider before choosing something?
Could you please help me with this.
Old 28th July 2021, 19:24   #582
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Hi Shashi,

I have been looking for a good pair of horns to change out our 2016 Honda City's horns. They're stupid meek. I had noticed that most hella kits come with a relay, is this because stock wiring cannot handle the power requirements of the aftermarket horns??

What are the things I should consider before choosing something?
Could you please help me with this.
BHPian SwapnilAlto has 2019 City and he has these same horns without any relay. Your car should take it too without any issue.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 21:42   #583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Upgraded stock horns:
As it’s not OE, check the ampere rating of the new horn and the old one. The new horn’s ampere rating should be equal to or less than the old / OE horn.

IIRC, Maruti’s horns have a 3 amp rating for each horn so you can fix upto 3 amps or less.

If your new horn’s amp rating is more than 3 amps you would need a relay so that the horns do not draw more current than the OE horns as it could otherwise effect / damage other electrical / electronic components / sensors of your car.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 21:48   #584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
As it’s not OE, check the ampere rating of the new horn and the old one. The new horn’s ampere rating should be equal to or less than the old / OE horn.

IIRC, Maruti’s horns have a 3 amp rating for each horn so you can fix upto 3 amps or less.
I thought car horns were rated at 5-6A and 3A horns were two wheeler horns. At least thats how it has been in my cars. There is a relay for the horn which is rated at 15A in my Celerio and 20A in the SX4 to suffice the total current of 12A. Hence that should be covered. Not sure if the 3A horn is a recent development.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 23:10   #585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had planned to ensure the opening faces downwards, but the Hellas were a tight fit. Hence opening is facing sideward. But since the location is well sealed from all directions, possibility of water ingress is low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
Quote:
I've planned something, have asked my mechanic to get me few OEM mounts of Maruti horns of a decided length. Have something in mind. That should hopefully fix the issue.
Horns perfected!: Revisited the horn and had a close look at the mounts. Issues I had:

1. The mount strips provided by Hella is downright crappy and flimsy. Also no rubber insert like OEM horn, so was susceptible to vibrations.

2. Wanted to make the opening face downwards, very important with these horns. Also didn't want to cut any plastic.

I took a close look at the mount strip of stock horn. It uses a rubber insert to arrest vibes. But unfortunately that end won't fit Hella's since the screw length is too small. So mounted in a way that the rubber part goes downwards and touches body.

Since mount of OE Horn was longer, it also raised the horn a bit, allowing it to face downwards. Also interchanged the position of horns, so they sat even more comfortably.

Hella trumpets with OE mounts, notice the rubber insulator at the other end:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210728_210908.jpg

This is how the mount sat:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210728_211232.jpg

Since the rubber insert made the mount strip thicker, the stock bolt became a bit short. So raided my collection of nuts and bolts and out came a slightly longer 12mm bolt with corresponding nut, which also had integrated washer.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210728_212031.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210728_212414.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210728_212735.jpg

Now the horn sat firmly, with enough clearance, facing downwards and I had fixed every shortcoming.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210728_213110.jpg

The outgoing OE horns with flimsy Hella mounts:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210728_215234.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I thought car horns were rated at 5-6A and 3A horns were two wheeler horns. At least thats how it has been in my cars. There is a relay for the horn which is rated at 15A in my Celerio and 20A in the SX4 to suffice the total current of 12A. Hence that should be covered. Not sure if the 3A horn is a recent development.
+1. The fuse rating is 15Amps for horn IIRC, so I should be safe since the Hellas are rated at 5Amps each.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks