Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2021, 13:26   #616
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I have been eyeing a similar product like what you have applied on your interior carpets. Its called Gardx. I did not apply it to my carpets as I was not sure of its effectiveness. I've not understood how it really works or can be effective. As this is the inside of the car, does the water just dry up on the mats? How is it at handling wet mud, dust or grime? I assume some amount of vacuuming is still necessary?
Water doesn't get absorbed inside the carpet, since the coating is hydrophobic, water remains on top. The coating doesn't claim anything about loose dirt, but I've been noticing that even a pat on the mat is enough to get rid of loose dirt. Earlier it would need comprehensive vacuuming.

Where it truly shines is during rainy season, no more scare of someone bringing in wet footwear/mud. All crap stays on top and can be easily cleaned later. Even the floor carpet doesn't absorb water anymore and you can easily dry it with a Microfiber towel.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 21:50   #617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Installed: Maruti's Cockpit Headrest. Basically these are adjustable side supports and neck rest for increased comfort.
An update on the neck rest: I had forgotten to update about this. Since I was the one who used it first, it's my responsibility to update how the product is/was. While the concept was fair, implementation was bad. The assembly started vibrating after few days and minor squeaks/rattles became unbearable. I was almost certain that my money(8.5k for both) was gone for good. I also didn't find it worthy of escalating and fighting with MSIL since I had used the product for a good 2 months, before the issues crept in. I couldn't endure the rattles and hence had removed it after some time.

During one of the conversations with the Aceessories Manager of the showroom, he asked me where the assemblies were, and I pointed out that the product was absolutely flawed and told him about the issues I had. All he said was, "Let me see what I can do, I will not leave a customer like you high and dry". I honestly didn't think much about it and didn't have much expectations. He mailed to his seniors at Maruti and made a case from his end.

I got a call from Maruti and they listened to the entire thing patiently. They immediately roped in the vendor of the product. Vendor again called me and tried to understand all issues I had. A gentleman from Gurgaon requested me to visit the dealership once, and instructed the installers there to assemble it properly. They made detailed videos of assembly and installation. The installer did it all properly and we came to a conclusion that the design of the product is faulty and vibrations will happen no matter what.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210415_155713.jpg

I was given two options: To try another piece and the vendor will send his representatives over to ensure installation as per SOP. Or money refund. I clearly told them that I purchased the product since I found it's concept great, but if the vibrations continued then there was no point in continuing with it. The vendor sent some more videos to the Accessories Manager of the product in use in one of their cars, and we could see the side extensions vibrating there as well.

I informed the vendor that I'd like to proceed with refund. He asked me for my bank details and also to return the packages with everything packed cleanly to the dealer along with the bill, and once it was done, I got the refund even before I had left the dealer premises!

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210420_162627.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img20210421wa0012.jpg

Hats off to the dealer representative, vendor and MSIL for being so customer centric. No wonder people talk about Toyota and Maruti having full control over their representatives, and I got to experience it first hand. No fighting with anyone, genuine questions were asked, genuine answers given and there was an honest intent to set things right for me. Now compare this experience to the RD Case (RD DVR 90 Rear View Mirror Review | Poor quality & pathetic service | EDIT: Resolved to satisfaction) I had and you can instantly see why Maruti is known for good customer support. RD listened to me only after the case was highlighted on TeamBHP, whereas Maruti came to my rescue without me complaining about it! Maruti ensured that even the dealer wasn't penalized and made the vendor refund my money.

There are a million posts about bad experiences with OEMs, but IMHO these positive experiences should be highlighted with equal enthusiasm.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 23:22   #618
Distinguished - BHPian

Indulged in some quick battery maintenance: Checked level of electrolyte in all cells. Two of them needed some adjustment/top-up. Used Exide Distillo since I don't trust the bottled DW available in my city.

Also charged the battery for sometime using Bosch C7. Weirdly, the C7 showed battery as partially discharged, despite me driving it on a daily basis. It charged for ~30 minutes before reaching the trickle charging mode.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210811_135842.jpg

Signing off with a pic of the XL6 alongside a very dear friend's Vento 1.2:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210805_084538.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 12:34   #619
BANNED

Is there some way to permanently disable the Auto Start Stop functionality in XL6?

Also an update on the rattles in my Xl6. There were some minor rattles when I took delivery of the car. I complained about it during my first free service. The service advisor promised to tighten the various nuts and bolts and fittings across the car. I thought he was bluffing. But when I got the car after service, most of the rattles were gone. An occasional rattle could be heard on bad roads - so I again complained about it during the second free service. Again the service advisor promised to tighten the nuts and bolts across the car. Post second service, there is barely any rattles, except when driving on really bad roads. I guess I am lucky to be serviced by a good service center. My perception of free services has been that they would do the bare minimum possible, as it's a 'free' service. So I was surprised that they attended to my complaints about rattles.

Last edited by PYSO : 15th August 2021 at 12:42.
PYSO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 13:24   #620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
Also an update on the rattles in my Xl6. There were some minor rattles when I took delivery of the car. I complained about it during my first free service. The service advisor promised to tighten the various nuts and bolts and fittings across the car. I thought he was bluffing. But when I got the car after service, most of the rattles were gone. An occasional rattle could be heard on bad roads - so I again complained about it during the second free service. Again the service advisor promised to tighten the nuts and bolts across the car. Post second service, there is barely any rattles, except when driving on really bad roads. I guess I am lucky to be serviced by a good service center. My perception of free services has been that they would do the bare minimum possible, as it's a 'free' service. So I was surprised that they attended to my complaints about rattles.
Nuts and bolts are all torqued from factory and they rarely go loose unless opened.

The SA usually tells the denter or someone from bodyshop to take a drive, note the rattles, apply foamy bits to the rattling areas, and that is what must be resolving the rattles for you.

Still its commendable that they care about these minor things. In my case, MASS was ready to solve the rattles for me but I didn't let them do it, since the way they opened the various trims was scary. A flathead screwdriver is all they needed to open most trims, and based on my experience it always leaves nasty marks on plastics. Hence I went the DIY way.

Either way, it's great that the rattles have decreased for you.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: Haven't really explored the possibility of permanently disabling the Start Stop mechanism since it has rarely troubled me. A couple of instances when I wanted the car to idle, I've manually turned it off using the switch provided. You may try removing the 5A fuse designated for Auto Stop in the fusebox and see what happens to the overall functioning.
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 16:50   #621
BANNED

Quote:

Still its commendable that they care about these minor things. In my case, MASS was ready to solve the rattles for me but I didn't let them do it, since the way they opened the various trims was scary.

You may try removing the 5A fuse designated for Auto Stop in the fusebox and see what happens to the overall functioning.
Yes, I was very pleasantly surprised that MASS cared to fix the rattles, that too in a free service. I didn't throw in any paid work during both first and second free service - and so it was truly zero bill services. No idea what they did - buy I certainly hope they handled the car gently while fixing the rattles. I am quite clumsy with my hands - so if I went the DIY route, I am quite certain that I would have broken more things than I fixed

Will try removing the fuse one of these days and see how it goes. The first thing I do after turning on the ignition is to disable Auto Start Stop. So I guess it's better to permanently disable it.
PYSO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 01:15   #622
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
An update on the neck rest:
After this return, I was eyeing a pair of neckrest for rear seats, along similar lines as the New Creta. They are extremely comfortable.

Thankfully got something in MGA range, part number: 990J0M999L2-070

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210802_175618.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210802_175614.jpg

Also the odo is inching towards the 14k mark:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210814_211812.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 00:20   #623
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm not sure if it's poor quality of windshield or the roads or my wretched luck, the windshield gets chipped very easily. In a year of ownership, I've accumulated 3 chips on it, without even tailgating any car closely. Out of nowhere I hear something sharp making contact and there is a small dot on the glass.

Should be fairly easy for those windshield repair kits, but this repetitive damage is saddening. Accumulated another dot today.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210819_215936.jpg

Signing out with a recently clicked pic of the XL6, along with a close friend's 2001 5 Speed 800.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210819_181249.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 14:13   #624
BHPian

Quote:

These are the steps to take out the HU:

4. Pull out the HU carefully. Make sure the rear metal part of the HU doesn't touch anything as its edges are very sharp and can easily damage your fingers or your dashboard. Disconnect the couplers.

What I did to arrest the creak from HU:

1. Put Foam tapes here such that those red clips don't directly touch the plastic and are held more snugly:

These fixed the HU creak completely. However, the central garnish(which maruti calls stone finish) has now started to creak on bad roads.
Seems another round of surgery will have to be planned.
So after following Shashi's guidance I was able to fix the HU creek momentarily but within few days creek reappeared. I knew I have to get ready for another surgery.

Quote:
Guys, I'm very happy to report that I have managed to fix all squeaks and rattles from my XL6's dashboard, even the minor ones.

7. Once the decorative panel was out, you will see white clips. If you hit them, they make the exact same kind of creak which we are so used to hear.

Post installation, I took a long TD over all kind of horrible roads, reflectors where there used to be a creak/rattle. Happy to report that the issue is now completely fixed.
After reading this post I was like 'No' way I am pulling everything apart as I was sure I will end up breaking something! So the pandemic and my laziness made me a sloth bear.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-animals_hero_slothbear.jpg
source:animals.sandiegozoo.org

So after many months of procrastination and lockdown I thought I need to put this to an end (atleast try)

The infamous creek - video for representation to ears

Since I was not able to source the Butyl material (though people here in forum suggested to use blue tac) thought of trying something minimalist. So after my recent DYI Link (My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review) I had some left over rubber like material which had self adhesive, got an idea to apply these on the area where the clips meet the body panel. This is how the material looked.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-tape.jpg

Trimmed the material into small pieces to apply on all the mount areas. Followed all the steps already mentioned in this post for removal of the entire trim piece. Couple of images for reference.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-pads.jpg

Notice the yellow marks how I have applied the patches at the mount points. The red circled screws need to be removed prior pulling out the entire trim piece.

Pay attention while removing the HU as Shashi mentioned in his post as the edges are very sharp. Also be very careful while pulling out the trim piece near the driver side AC vent area, thin clips are present which fastens the trim to the dashboard.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-trim_rem.jpg

Before pulling the trim away completely, be sure to drop the steering by releasing the lock and put both the stalk controls down for ease of separation. It also important to note that the trim piece can be separated from the MID console area, however be careful as they have interlocking mechanism which is not meant to be removed.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-separate.jpg

After applying the patches to all the clip mount points it was time to put everything back. The entire job require patience and precision. If you are in a hurry please do not attempt this DIY. So finally I was able to put back everything in place and it was time for a long TD to find out the results. With lot of apprehensions I set out and oh boy! I was pleasantly surprised that all the creeks were gone. Saturday well spent!

Note: However I would like to point out that on very bad road there is still some creeks left, I guess that would require a larger operation that I am not ready for and I can live with the current state as long as this does not increase over a period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post

Also an update on the rattles in my Xl6. There were some minor rattles when I took delivery of the car. Post second service, there is barely any rattles, except when driving on really bad roads. I guess I am lucky to be serviced by a good service center.
This is actually good to hear that MASS actually took care of the issue and addressed to your satisfaction. I simply did not want to take this route because my lack of faith in them and further messing things up.

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's poor quality of windshield or the roads or my wretched luck, the windshield gets chipped very easily. In a year of ownership, I've accumulated 3 chips on it, without even tailgating any car closely. Out of nowhere I hear something sharp making contact and there is a small dot on the glass.
If this makes it any better, I got our XL6 windscreen itched on our very first long drive to Kolkata. Here is the image. I have left it unattended but I will find time and fix it.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-scratch.jpg

Thanks again Shashi for this wonderful thread full of information to all XL6 owners and future to be.

Last edited by MadTiger : 21st August 2021 at 14:18.
MadTiger is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 10:59   #625
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning to purchase XL6 zeta variant (manual). If possible, please do help in clarifying below queries:

1. I am planning to shift to a higher alloy size. Will that have an effect on warranty. Will it have any effect on the speedometer readings

2. What is the best way to change alloys, at the dealer itself or aftermarket

3. Is there a recommendation on reducing the outside noise in the car (door damping etc.)

Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 00:51   #626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
Hi,

I am planning to purchase XL6 zeta variant (manual). If possible, please do help in clarifying below queries:

1. I am planning to shift to a higher alloy size. Will that have an effect on warranty. Will it have any effect on the speedometer readings

2. What is the best way to change alloys, at the dealer itself or aftermarket

3. Is there a recommendation on reducing the outside noise in the car (door damping etc.)

Thanks
1. Yes Maruti will have full rights to deny any kind of change over the stock rim and size. Any issue regarding steering and suspension may not be covered under warranty. This includes the slight upsize we have done, 195/65R15

2. Downside of larger rim: XL6 is an MPV and larger profile tyres surely help in getting a good ride quality. Still if you are interested in getting one, get 16x6J rims with offset same as what XL7 uses in other markets. That will ensure your wheel doesn't foul with wheel archs.

While the XL6 looks awesome with aftermarket wheels and protruding alloys, do note that it's still has wheel arch space of Ertiga. And it will inevitably foul and create issues. Hence strictly not recommended from my side.

3. Yes damping and sound insulation is recommended. Stock insulation is very inadequate.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 23:04   #627
BHPian

Hi,

I have finally booked my XL6 Zeta AT - Auburn Red. This thread and your advice has been immensely helpful in making my decision.

The wait for delivery is now on. The dealer says it will take up to 6 weeks to deliver.

Regards,
Praveen

Quote:
1. Yes Maruti will have full rights to deny any kind of change over the stock rim and size. Any issue regarding steering and suspension may not be covered under warranty. This includes the slight upsize we have done, 195/65R15

2. Downside of larger rim: XL6 is an MPV and larger profile tyres surely help in getting a good ride quality. Still if you are interested in getting one, get 16x6J rims with offset same as what XL7 uses in other markets. That will ensure your wheel doesn't foul with wheel archs.

While the XL6 looks awesome with aftermarket wheels and protruding alloys, do note that it's still has wheel arch space of Ertiga. And it will inevitably foul and create issues. Hence strictly not recommended from my side.

3. Yes damping and sound insulation is recommended. Stock insulation is very inadequate.

Regards,
Shashi
Finding a 16inch wheel with the right offset is a big job. I am on that quest and almost on the verge of giving up. The following are my findings. Request fellow bhpians to correct me if any of the info is wrong.

1. The XL6 is a 40mm offset. XL7 is 45mm offset.
2. Most 16inches in market are 20mm offset which make the tires protrude out and have the risk of fouling with the body on outside when going over bad roads.
3. The MGP wheels of SCross is 50mm offset which is likely to foul inside especially after aging a bit as the tire tends to expand in service.

I found one model in Neo - Pulse 16X7J which is 35mm offset which is closest.

Last edited by SDP : 25th August 2021 at 00:45. Reason: Please use Edit or Multi-Quote instead of creating back to back posts. Please go through the forum rules again
Spals is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 00:32   #628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spals View Post
1. The XL6 is a 40mm offset
Isn't it 45mm?

Quote:
Finding a 16inch wheel with the right offset is a big job. I am on that quest and almost on the verge of giving up. The following are my findings. Request fellow bhpians to correct me if any of the info is wrong.

1. The XL6 is a 40mm offset. XL7 is 45mm offset.
2. Most 16inches in market are 20mm offset which make the tires protrude out and have the risk of fouling with the body on outside when going over bad roads.
3. The MGP wheels of SCross is 50mm offset which is likely to foul inside especially after aging a bit as the tire tends to expand in service.

I found one model in Neo - Pulse 16X7J which is 35mm offset which is closest.
Some 16x6J wheels are available, which fit without issue on the XL6, assuming 195/60R16s or 205/55R16s mounted on them. I've personally checked that they don't foul anywhere:

1. Ones from SX4, Prefacelift S Cross, Brezza MGA:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img20210722wa0002.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-images-81.jpeg

2. Crysta's Tried this swap at home but tyres mounted were same as Crysta's(205/65R16), hence clearance is low. However these cost a bomb, almost 19k a piece:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210727_135511.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210727_135522.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210727_135531.jpg

3. Even New S Cross/Brezza alloys fit well without issue, however I'm not too sure about fitting in stepney carrier, since these are 6.5J:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-121664781_10158101743303621_7756349917260986379_n.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img20210114wa0019.jpg

If I go with this upgrade in future, my pick will be SX4 multispoke alloys, painted in black. Will look most sober. Or Brezza's Alloy provided it fits the spare wheel cradle. But also an MPV is meant to ride well, and I've the best setup right now, on 195/65R15s.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: Congratulations on your booking, glad my thread was helpful.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 25th August 2021 at 00:34. Reason: Adding PS
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 23:38   #629
BHPian

Quote:
If I go with this upgrade in future, my pick will be SX4 multispoke alloys, painted in black. Will look most sober. Or Brezza's Alloy provided it fits the spare wheel cradle. But also an MPV is meant to ride well, and I've the best setup right now, on 195/65R15s.
My source of info is the following website as per which XL6 has 40mm offset.
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/suzuki/xl6/2021/

The info posted is very useful, so a 16inch (40-50 mm offset) with 205/55 tire or 195/60 tire would fit without fouling.

The 195/60 R16 has an OD increase of close to 3% don't you think this will have too much issue with ABS/ESP? This is given in XL7 but they may have recalibrated the ABS & ECU for this.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th August 2021 at 01:09. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please do not quote large posts entirely.
Spals is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 23:55   #630
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spals View Post
My source of info is the following website as per which XL6 has 40mm offset.
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/suzuki/xl6/2021/
I realised your source of info, hence replied with an image which puts all doubts to rest.

Quote:
The info posted is very useful, so a 16inch (40-50 mm offset) with 205/55 tire or 195/60 tire would fit without fouling.

The 195/60 R16 has an OD increase of close to 3% don't you think this will have too much issue with ABS/ESP? This is given in XL7 but they may have recalibrated the ABS & ECU for this.
Even some suspension components are revised for the XL7, confirmed this internally with a reliable source.

That is why I said, 195/65R15s are the best upgrade is we consider all things. For example 205/55R16 is an upsize with 1.6% increase in diameter, but then we aren't sure about if it will fit in the spare wheel cradle, and secondly, sidewall decreases over the stock 185/65R15 by 6.4%.

This is the sole reason why my car is still running on stock rims and slightly oversized tyres.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks