Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2021, 00:05   #631
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spals View Post
The 195/60 R16 has an OD increase of close to 3% don't you think this will have too much issue with ABS/ESP? This is given in XL7 but they may have recalibrated the ABS & ECU for this.
No not going to be a problem with this unless you decide to use a staggered setup with different tyre sizes. The ABS module won't even know you have changed the tyres when all four tyres are of the same size.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 00:21   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
No not going to be a problem with this unless you decide to use a staggered setup with different tyre sizes. The ABS module won't even know you have changed the tyres when all four tyres are of the same size.
I beg to differ audioholic, I think it is likely to be a problem at least for ABS. One of the parameter for ABS to kick in is rate at which wheel speed reduces (angular velocity / angular deceleration) and this changes with the diameter of the wheel. The ABS typically is programmed to handle up to certain percentage of change in radius assuming similar grip for tires, this is generally 1~2% in motorcycles, I am not sure how much this value is in cars and therefore my previous question on using 195/65 R16 on XL6.

It is not that ABS wont work beyond this value, its performance will be compromised.
Old 27th August 2021, 01:54   #633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One of the parameter for ABS to kick in is rate at which wheel speed reduces (angular velocity / angular deceleration) and this changes with the diameter of the wheel.
Change in wheel diameter will change angular velocity of the wheel indeed. In the eyes of the ABS, it would just assume that the car is travelling at X% lesser speed at any given point of time. But speaking of acceleration/decel, that is mathematically the derivative of velocity itself. When you take the derivative of two sets of initial and final velocity differing by a fixed percentage, won't it be the same? You might argue that there would be a mathematical difference due to the percentage effect but that would be significantly lesser than the percentage change of the difference in tyre size. I think what really matters to ABS or ESP is wheel ticks from the sensor and from my experience in the best of cars it is around 140 ticks per revolution. As long as the wheels don't send different tick rates due to different sizes, I think upsize of 3% shouldn't really change ABS character. If at all the wheel velocity is predicted to zero using decel values, then the meager difference is not something that would affect ABS from not detecting an impending wheel lock, and the reaction time for ABS to kick in also would change by an even smaller amount.

For two wheelers I think it is definitely more sensitive since we have two lesser wheel speeds to compare and detect a wheel lock and once we have a lock in one wheel, there is no second reference for the other wheel and hence deceleration of the wheel is the only reliable way to determine if both wheels are locked. Here it could be a problem but for a four wheeler, I think these systems have enough intelligence and more data to work with a slight change in tyre specs, maybe not 25% increase
audioholic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 09:16   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

Some 16x6J wheels are available, which fit without issue on the XL6, assuming 195/60R16s or 205/55R16s mounted on them. I've personally checked that they don't foul anywhere:

3. Even New S Cross/Brezza alloys fit well without issue, however I'm not too sure about fitting in stepney carrier, since these are 6.5J:

If I go with this upgrade in future, my pick will be SX4 multispoke alloys, painted in black. Will look most sober. Or Brezza's Alloy provided it fits the spare wheel cradle.
Dear Shashi,

Since you are concerned about the spare wheel fitting the spare wheel well area, maybe you can check the OEM spare wheel rim of Vitara Brezza. In the diesel Brezza, the tyre set up and spare tyre and rim size is as follows:

Variants with rims (LDI, VDI)
Rims: 16x6J steel rim
Tyres: 205/60R16
Spare rim: 16x6J steel rim
Spare tyre: 205/60R16

Variants with alloys (ZDI, ZDI+)
Rims: 16x6.5J alloy
Tyres: 215/60R16
Spare rim: 16x6J steel rim
Spare tyre: 215/60R16

So, while the spare tyre has the same size as the other 4 tyres, its size (width) is same as lower variants’ spare tyre, i.e. 16x6J. Spares a lot of space in the Brezza compared to S-Cross that comes with a 16x6.5J spare steel rim with 215/60R16 tyre.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 27th August 2021 at 09:16. Reason: Typo
PaddleShifter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 19:23   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Change in wheel diameter will change angular velocity of the wheel indeed. In the eyes of the ABS, it would just assume that the car is travelling at X% lesser speed at any given point of time.
The ABS needs to work when all 4 wheels lockup at the same time too, therefore has a logic of relying purely on a given value of wheel speed and wheel deceleration to kick-in. Changing wheel size therefore can effect ABS performance as I said. However I agree that the probability of locking up all wheels in motorcycles is very high as you have independent rear and front brake control and the rider can jam both. In cars its less as the rear is likely to lock-up before the front.

In the mean while I have got confirmation today that my car has been allotted and is in transit. 10 days is expected time for reaching showroom!!

Last edited by Spals : 27th August 2021 at 19:24.
Spals is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 21:18   #636
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In the mean while I have got confirmation today that my car has been allotted and is in transit. 10 days is expected time for reaching showroom!!
Congratulations, that's a great news.

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's poor quality of windshield or the roads or my wretched luck, the windshield gets chipped very easily. In a year of ownership, I've accumulated 3 chips on it, without even tailgating any car closely. Out of nowhere I hear something sharp making contact and there is a small dot on the glass.
Since the chips were extremely small(smaller than the chips recommended to be repaired by the kits), I cleaned the chipped area properly, and poured a drop of resin directly over the hole and then covered with curing strips. Make sure you do this during day time and when it's sunny outside. I ended up doing it at night and then had to do all sort of circus, from dismantling an old water purifier to eventually finding a proper UV lamp with a neighbour. The resin dries only when exposed to UV light.

Nevertheless I allowed the curing strips to dry properly in sun the next day, and it filled the holes completely. I wouldn't say it's 100% perfect, as you can still find a hazy micro-dot, if one was aware of the original location of the chip. But it's far better from the earlier chips, right in my line of vision. I'll happily live with it.

For any larger chips I'll recommend going through the entire process, but since mine was too small, I risked by going this way and it paid.

This is the product I had used:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-capture.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210819_220634.jpg

In some other news, Did Ranchi-Bokaro-Maithon-Ranchi via Katras, and the roads are much improved compared to last year. Specially the route via Katras used to be so bad that doing 35km once took me 2 hours(in 2019). Now it's an easy affair and one can fly through the entire stretch in no time.

While I wasn't eyeing efficiency and looked to enjoy the drive, the XL6 still surprised by covering the 421 kms in less than half a tank of gasoline. Accelerating hard to desired speeds and then feathering the throttle to cruise was my mantra and it paid. The car had 3 occupants till Maithon and 4 on the return journey along with some minor luggage.

En route to Bokaro:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210823_070850.jpg

At Bokaro:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210823_162516.jpg

At Maithon:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210823_184532.jpg

The trip details:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210825_175534.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 04:49   #637
Distinguished - BHPian

Jumping Boot Floor lids fixed: It's a known sound in the Ertiga/XL6. Cross any hump at anything more than crawling speed and a thud sound comes from the rear, when the removable 2 piece boot floor jumps and settles on its mounts. It did reduce considerably when I bought 3D boot mats, but still made it's presence felt sometimes. Many owners have fixed it using rubber strips, well here is what I did. Thanks a lot to BHPian Madtiger for recommending it.

I purchased Furniture foot pads from Amazon: Link to product

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210827_125501.jpg

1. First located the protrusions which are closer to the skirt trim. We need to apply the pads directly against them. There were three on each lid, two on the rear face and one on the side face.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210830_205327.jpg

2. I wiped the area with IPA, and applied some 3M adhesion promoter. This is now easily available in MGA, part number: 990J0M999H7-010. Highly recommend this before any kind of double tape/adhesive tape based application, makes the bond super strong. Allow it to dry for a minute.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210827_161743.jpg

3. Apply the pads carefully and try to fit the boot floor lid now. It should fit a lot snugly now. A video of how snug it is now:

Have driven over some humps at good pace deliberately, and there was zero sound from the rear!

In some other news, tanked up the XL6 after the recent trip, and here is the distance covered and fuel taken for first autocut:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210828_191718.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210828_191159.jpg

Tankful to tankful always gives a better idea of the efficiency.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 08:55   #638
BHPian

Are you getting this mileage when car is fully loaded ( 5 people + luggage ) ?
My Jazz CVT mileage with normal riding style and fully loaded will be hovering around 17-18 , but the manual variant even after 90k kms provides 20 plus on many occasions ( not applicable on hilly roads )
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 09:02   #639

Hi Shashi,

Got my First service done at 700 kms/9 days as the next travel would cross the 1.5k mark. Service centre just did top ups and thorough inspection.

No oil change/filter change. Is it a standard across all car brands (non Maruti)? I was told that second service too at 5k kms will not have any oil change. Wouldn't it impact as the adjustments of brand new engine with micro bits of metal (minor wear and tear) particles?

Also, I liked the overall service experience at Nexa service centre w.r.t multiple 'let down' treatment to my swift at Maruti Service centres.

Is it ok to get Arena cars serviced at Nexa? Any specific observations around mechanical expertise and pricing impacts ?

Nexa service rep was more than happy to do it, while the sales rep was in opposite opinion questioning expertise between arena and Nexa mechanics (in general across service centres)

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img3593.jpg
ermks279 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 22:16   #640
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Are you getting this mileage when car is fully loaded ( 5 people + luggage ) ?
I wouldn't call it fully loaded. The car had 3 people during onward journey and 4 people plus minor ~30kg luggage during the return trip. Onward journey was during the day time with decent traffic on the highways, return trip was during night with largely empty roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermks279 View Post
No oil change/filter change. Is it a standard across all car brands (non Maruti)? I was told that second service too at 5k kms will not have any oil change. Wouldn't it impact as the adjustments of brand new engine with micro bits of metal (minor wear and tear) particles?
Yes, no oil change till 10k mark is the norm now with most Marutis. But I personally changed the oil at 5k km myself. Link: 5k oil Change (My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review).

I was planning to stick to 5k oil change intervals, but at the 14.3k mark the oil is visually not that deteriorated(largely because of highway travels). Hence this time I'll perhaps stretch to 10k mark for the first time.

Quote:
Is it ok to get Arena cars serviced at Nexa? Any specific observations around mechanical expertise and pricing impacts ?

Nexa service rep was more than happy to do it, while the sales rep was in opposite opinion questioning expertise between arena and Nexa mechanics (in general across service centres)
The Arena cars can visit any Maruti service center but NEXA cars can visit only the dealer owned workshops(Arena and NEXA) and MSM. No MASS for us.

Also the NEXA branded service centers will have higher labour charges(by around 15-20%) than Arena outlets.

For more info, go through this detailed thread: Link to thread (An insight into Maruti's After-sales network: Different types of workshops)

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 16:01   #641
BHPian

Hello LeoShashi!

I had a small query, would be grateful if you could help. 1 week old Ertiga is showing a blue warning light on the instrument cluster. It seems to be the coolant level low warning light. This is the Bi-fuel model. Is this light normal or do I have a cause for concern?

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-5dac1ee1594544798fbcf85dde31f9cd.jpeg

Thanks
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 17:14   #642
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Hello LeoShashi!

I had a small query, would be grateful if you could help. 1 week old Ertiga is showing a blue warning light on the instrument cluster. It seems to be the coolant level low warning light. This is the Bi-fuel model. Is this light normal or do I have a cause for concern?

Attachment 2202282

Thanks
This would be happening when car is cold, perfectly normal. The blue light will go away once the engine is warmed up sufficiently. I see even the RPM is high.

That light when turns red is dangerous. Also since you are doubtful, visually check the coolant level in the expansion tank.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: This is why I love the good old analog dials for temperature.
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 20:22   #643
BHPian

Horns are a great addition to XL6. I was trying to get this done as well however the grill "B" was a little too hard to pull out. Could you please advise if there's any other locks in place that needs to be removed prior to pulling out the XL6 grill.
Sunny_7937 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 00:48   #644
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny_7937 View Post
Horns are a great addition to XL6. I was trying to get this done as well however the grill "B" was a little too hard to pull out. Could you please advise if there's any other locks in place that needs to be removed prior to pulling out the XL6 grill.
Yes the "B" clips are too tight, you may try to pry from outside below the chrome part using appropriate trim tool, or you may also access the area from behind the grill and push the clips.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 10:33   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Yes the "B" clips are too tight, you may try to pry from outside below the chrome part using appropriate trim tool, or you may also access the area from behind the grill and push the clips.

Regards,
Shashi
Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestion. Managed to remove the "B" clips and installed new horns. Attached herewith the "B" clips for further reference. Next DIY will be installing foot well lamps and cabin damping. Appreciate if you could post any links for materials used for cabin damping. I wouldn't say exterior noise is seeping into the cabin. But it's always good to have some extra damping.

Cheers
Sunny
Attached Thumbnails
My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_20210907_090940__01.jpg  

Sunny_7937 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed