Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2021, 11:22   #811
BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Attention all XL6 owners, in addition to New Ertiga, New Swift, Ignis, Dzire and Ciaz: There is a selective recall for our cars. Not all car owners need to be worried. Those who face issues with abnormal engine vibrations, need to get their cars inspected and RH engine mounts replaced FoC.

I repeat, not everyone needs to get this done. Only if you face anything abnormal.

Models: New Ertiga, XL6, New Swift, Dzire, Ciaz, Ignis

Cut Off VIN:

Ignis: MA3NFG81SMG319333
Thanks for the update. Noob question - What do you mean by cut off VIN?
Dhillon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 22:17   #812
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbhp_turbo View Post
While this is really "next level" damping, more of "naive" question, every-time i think of car damping, i always get worried whether they will be able to assemble stuff back with same factory quality finish.
Is it unfounded fear ?
Definitely not! Even I would think twice, had I not known a brilliant mechanic like Arjun. Idea may be mine but full credit to him for the flawless implementation. Also since I didn't cut corners in terms of new clips or using torque wrenches etc, the finish is as good and tight as factory finish.

Getting this done in aftermarket is a strict no no for me. They don't care for your car at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillon View Post
Thanks for the update. Noob question - What do you mean by cut off VIN?
Perhaps, all VINs before that may be problematic. Please contact your nearest workshop's Manager regarding this. I haven't got time to speak to mine yet.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 23:32   #813
BHPian

Sir, Good to know that the investment on Ceramic coating has paid off.
My 2 queries:
1. Cost incurred for XL6/ Ertiga for Ceramic Coating? Reputed Brands recommended?
2. You seem to use a portable Bosch Car Washer. Can you please elaborate regarding your usage experience?

Last edited by Aditya : 27th November 2021 at 19:31. Reason: Maximum 2 smileys per post please
Old 27th November 2021, 00:58   #814
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooghlyBoy View Post
Sir, Good to know that the investment on Ceramic coating has paid off.
My 2 queries:
1. Cost incurred for XL6/ Ertiga for Ceramic Coating? Reputed Brands recommended?
Since I did Ceramic coat DIY, cost incurred was obviously way lesser. I've done both my MPVs, and roughly cost was 15-20k per car. Process was same for both, comprehensive washing, claying/surface decontamination, polish to get a swirl/scratch free finish(because you will be locking the finish with Ceramic), IPA Wipedown to remove polishing oils and prepare the paint for bonding, two coats of Ceramic coating(50mL can was enough for 2 coats on each car) followed by a layer of sealant. Took me almost a week for this process since I used to work during leisure hours only. Also, it's very important to have a closed dirt free parking all this while. After application, I ensured the cars remain parked safely for 48 hours, for coatings to cure fully.

Some pics of the work on XL6:

Thorough Foam wash

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200825_151237.jpg

Clayed:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200825_152520.jpg

You need to have a good stock of microfibers, most of them go waste and hard after the coating dries:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200826_135312.jpg

This pic was perhaps taken after the first coat:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200827_201213.jpg

First drive after the coating process:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200906_194432.jpg

Some pics of the work on Crysta:

Got the behemoth washed at nearby washing center:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210724_102902.jpg

Polishing in progress:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210724_123818.jpg

Hood after polishing is done:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210724_123943.jpg

Crysta had lots of vandalism marks all around, so extra work had to be done to remove all these. Thankfully all these went after a bit of wet sanding>compounding>polishing:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210724_171325.jpg

After the coat:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210726_185000.jpg

Fell in love with Garnet Red shade after this:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210726_185231.jpg

My take on Ceramic: It makes maintenance easier, but when maintenance is done, care has to be taken to preserve the coat. Has decent paint protection abilities, since my car has seen multiple knocks on the ORVM and quarter panel with blunt objects(like bike's handle, other ORVMs), which left mark but soon disappeared after buffing since it was all on the coating. It won't endure a severe scratch which a PPF may. PPF is much more resilient in terms of paint protection.

Good brands are CarPro, Gyeon, Gtechniq etc. More than brands, process and competence of your service provider matters more. I've seen cars which had 70k worth of coatings done but still looking drab after a few months. Equally important is your upkeep.

Quote:
2. You seem to use a portable Bosch Car Washer. Can you please elaborate regarding your usage experience?
Yes I have Bosch AQT 130, bought in 2018. Except Gun failure which happened last year, there hasn't been any issue till now. Spares are easily available. My usage frequency is once a month.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by vb-saan : 27th November 2021 at 07:48. Reason: Quoted post edited
Leoshashi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 06:01   #815
BHPian

Quote:
For me WA and WB is entirely need based and I don't like to disturb it unnecessarily..
Couldn't agree more to this line. To share with you my story, I have done WB/WA of my 2014 Swift only once during all these years of ownership. That too while changing the tyres at 5 years/45k kms mark from the stock Bridgestones to Yokohama Blue Earth. The stock tyres had perfectly even tread left on them and were changed only because they had hardened and I faced few frequent punctures plus I had an itch to upgrade to wider 185 mm tyres.

The second set is too doing well with the current odo at 72k kms and no uneven wear observed and neither any alignment or balancing issues so far. *touches wood*
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 00:18   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Ceramic Coat pays off: While I was away, my XL6 was parked at my office parking for 2 weeks. Generally it is a safe parking, but this time they did some kind of white wash/paint on walls and the XL6 got lots of overspray on the left side.
Where do you get the ceramic coat? I got it done for my Ertiga from the dealer itself. There has been a thin layer of probably cement dust mixing with mist and sticking to all prone areas. I went to 3M to examine. They said I need to get special treatment to get it removed.
rich_heart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 18:50   #817

Hello Leoshashi,

What a brilliant thread and the level of research and exploration is something I must learn. Also, I like the way you write, it is thorough and upto the point.

I am a new member here and have booked my Maruti Suzuki XL6 Zeta MT ( Colour: White) model few days ago. I am expecting the delivery by end of February, as I wanted 2022 model. I could have it booked later too, however I was at Kattupakkam Nexa (Chennai) last week, to take the delivery of my friend's Baleno and just booked it.

A big thanks for posting the engine guard's availability and installation process. Two of my friends are getting them soon and I am getting it for my XL6 too.

Quick question: Did you try the after market middle seat, the one that goes between middle row captain seats? I called up Mr. Tanveer (YouTube fame Vig Auto Accessories), he advised me against it, as the customers who had bought it have given bad feedback about it. This is not a deal breaker but an occasional 7 seater for short trips is always welcome.

Also, I am going to be disturbing you occasionally by asking my doubts in this thread to educate myself about the car. Please do not mind
prasaad95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 22:44   #818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
Where do you get the ceramic coat?
There are umpteen sources. Professional grade coatings are restricted for certified detailers only. Thankfully I know someone, thus sourcing a kit isn't difficult. Alternatives are getting them from US or UK where they are easily available. Or you may use Consumer grade coatings available which are cheap and easy to use. Obviously their durability isn't as long as professional grade coatings.

Even simple spray on coatings are available today from vendors like Meguiar's, Turtle Wax etc which are more DIY friendly.

Quote:
I got it done for my Ertiga from the dealer itself.
I don't think a Maruti dealer has competence or knowhow of doing a proper ceramic coat. Unfortunately, just like Teflon coat of last decade, everyone seems to be doing it today, using spurious coatings/material. Better do it yourself or visit a professional certified detailer.

Quote:
There has been a thin layer of probably cement dust mixing with mist and sticking to all prone areas. I went to 3M to examine. They said I need to get special treatment to get it removed.
Do share pics if possible, I may be able to guide you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasaad95 View Post
Hello Leoshashi,

What a brilliant thread and the level of research and exploration is something I must learn. Also, I like the way you write, it is thorough and upto the point.

I am a new member here and have booked my Maruti Suzuki XL6 Zeta MT ( Colour: White) model few days ago. I am expecting the delivery by end of February, as I wanted 2022 model. I could have it booked later too, however I was at Kattupakkam Nexa (Chennai) last week, to take the delivery of my friend's Baleno and just booked it.

A big thanks for posting the engine guard's availability and installation process. Two of my friends are getting them soon and I am getting it for my XL6 too.

Quick question: Did you try the after market middle seat, the one that goes between middle row captain seats? I called up Mr. Tanveer (YouTube fame Vig Auto Accessories), he advised me against it, as the customers who had bought it have given bad feedback about it. This is not a deal breaker but an occasional 7 seater for short trips is always welcome.

Also, I am going to be disturbing you occasionally by asking my doubts in this thread to educate myself about the car. Please do not mind
Congratulations on your car and glad my thread helped you.

No I've never tried middle seats, nor will ever allow this in my car. We personally have a 7 seater Crysta at home, if need arises. For me, I was sure of using this as a spacious 4 seater, thus never considered the middle row jugaad. It's also a safety hazard since the passengers don't have belts for themselves, and the jugaad itself may become a projectile if sudden braking or accident happens.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 17:41   #819
BHPian

Quote:
The recall and subsequent update regarding the Auxiliary Power module(Li Ion) has a great effect on the overall performance. Did a ~100km drive and noticed the following improvements:

1. Battery is now easily maintaining 4 or 5 bars when on highway with same kind of driving.

2. Boost/Assist time has increased.

3. Huge impact on FE. Since the battery was disconnected, MID got reset and it's showing 18.4 kmpl over the last 100km.

4. Auto stop time has significantly increased.

In all super happy with the update.

Regards,
Shashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTiger View Post
I got my MGU / ISG replaced. Exact same process carried out as per your post. But software update was differed. After calling TSM found out that it's put on hold. I am starting my journey for Kolkata on Friday and was really looking forward for the update. But anyways will have to go without it for now.
So finally got the Auxiliary power module firmware update today.

As Shashi mentioned, in point 1) The battery indeed holds charge more, for me it used to easily go down to 2 bars, but now it stays at 3 and rarely goes down to 2. I remember couple of times, were the lithium-ion SOC falling to 1 bar, this happened only in terrible bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore.

Point 2) Yes, I do see the boost kicking in even earlier in the rev range, also providing boost in economy mode driving. This was not the case earlier.

Point 3) I am yet to witness that, cannot comment now! Specially cannot compete with "rigged" XL 6

Point 4) Same here too, need to witness this in heavy traffic area, currently driving around in significantly lighter traffic.

Another significant issue identified, my car rear wheels were wearing out unevenly, I noticed this earlier but was not absolutely sure about this. I did read about Shashi's post here (My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review). But after my recent 2000km drive to home town, it was eminent that indeed there is an issue. Reported the same today while the Firmware update was carried out, they took cognizance of the issue and will get back after consultation with TSM. Hoping to get this done before my onward journey back to Bangalore.

My phone got bricked so could not share pictures.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th November 2021 at 19:02. Reason: Typo
MadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 00:27   #820
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTiger View Post
So finally got the Auxiliary power module firmware update today.
Glad you got the firmware updated, it makes the real difference. Just ISG change doesn't do much.

Quote:
Another significant issue identified, my car rear wheels were wearing out unevenly, I noticed this earlier but was not absolutely sure about this.
Perhaps, even my car has that issue. Remember I had posted this:

Quote:
PS: I was shocked yesterday due to a very slightly tilted steering towards left on some familiar roads. But it got rectified on it's own after a few kilometers, guess one of the tyres from rear was developing conicity.
Name:  CP1.JPG
Views: 1295
Size:  135.2 KB

If you notice, the tyre going from RR to FL was the culprit. The right side rear has some issue I guess. Will get it checked soon. MASS has said they'll take alignment readings of rear first, and then replace the part. Since I carry out rotation religiously every 5k km, the issue hasn't bothered me that much and all tyres have equal wear.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: In some other news, odo is at 17k and the XL6 will barely see any running for the next 2 months. Mom has graciously volunteered for it's upkeep in my absence. When at home, I'll be driving my 800 more often during winters, because she too needs some running.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20211129_175742.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 11:07   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Weight added per door is roughly 3kgs, according to the number of sheets used.
Great work Shashi! I don't think anybody else apart from you could have thought of this and pulled it off so cleanly

Do you think this added dead load on the doors could lead to them sagging in the longer run. And given that you hold on to your vehicles pretty long, any thoughts on how you wish to handle it if it ever happens.
puneetakhouri is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 11:29   #822
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetakhouri View Post
Do you think this added dead load on the doors could lead to them sagging in the longer run. And given that you hold on to your vehicles pretty long, any thoughts on how you wish to handle it if it ever happens.
Had this doubt, but hinges are built pretty tough. If VW hinges can endure this, then we can expect Maruti hinges to endure 3kg extra weight atleast.

On serious note, door hinges are designed to take extra load on a regular basis, for example extra water bottles. The doors of my XL6 close just as softly as it did on day 1, which means there is no sagging in over a year. And worse case if play develops, which happens in old cars like my 800, standard process is replacing the door hinges and stoppers which is an expense of ~Rs. 2000 per side including painting(Yes I paint the hinges before putting them in, just the way it came from factory).

My 800's hinges lasted 22 years before they developed some play. I'm postponing the replacement just because I've to get them painted before putting in.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: While I like to keep my cars for long, I'm not expecting these newer cars to last as comfortably like my 800 did. 10 years is maximum I'm expecting.
Leoshashi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 00:11   #823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
10 years is maximum I'm expecting.
Done. I'll come to take her from you after 10 years.
samaspire is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 00:36   #824

Hi !
I have installed the middle seat in my XL6. I find it very useful while travelling with kids. I bought it from Pabla Enterprises, Pune.
Old 11th December 2021, 21:27   #825
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeBdrivE View Post
Hi !
I have installed the middle seat in my XL6. I find it very useful while travelling with kids. I bought it from Pabla Enterprises, Pune.
Nice, do share pics, and how it's fastened to the existing seats. Does it come with separate seat belts too for 7th occupant?

Regards,
Shashi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks