Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2020, 22:44   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Nicely detailed review with some educational bits ! Congratulations on the new car !

The one thing I too like about the 1.5L in Ertiga is the low end torque ! The way she pulls from standstill or very low speeds is something I never experienced in the 1.2L Honda or the 1.3L Fiat diesel that we had in our family.

I have one question which you might have an answer to, considering the mechanicals of XL-6 and Ertiga are same, I wonder why Ertiga's brakes are not that great, the brake pedal travel is high and one has to really stomp on the brakes in case of panic braking. Is there something different with the XL-6 that I can replace in the Ertiga just to improve the braking ?
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 23:03   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Now that you have a family car, I can guess what the next big event in your life will be. Only this time, let your parents do the choosing and the PDI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I'd like to bet a small amount of money against that prediction!

You checked the make of your lamps during the PDI - I think that's clue enough of how much care the XL6 will receive over its lifetime. Sure it may get to see some rough stuff, but will be cared equally once back home too.

Congrats once again Shashi. Nice detailed report which will become a lovely future report like the GG thread, I'm sure.

Thanks a lot guys for your unique wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I have also planned to get rid of the steel rim and install an alloy there along with Michelin. I'm a firm believer of old school 5 tyre rotation.
Plan executed!

Had ordered the alloy soon after the delivery. They got the part within a week. However I couldn't go to collect it due to time constraints. Finally that happened last week, and I installed the spare tyre today.

Pics:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-1.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-2.jpg

Part Number and price:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-3.jpg

Closeup Pics: Can anyone tell me the manufacturer for this alloy?

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-4.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-5.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-6.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-7.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-8.jpg

Weight of only alloy:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-9.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-11.jpg

Weight of the stock spare wheel, steel rim plus Bridgestone Ecopias

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-12.jpg

Weight of the spare wheel with Alloy and upsized Michelins:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-13.jpg

Weight of only the steel rim, weirdly, weighs same as the alloy:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-15.jpg

Despite the upsize, the spare tyre fits nicely in the carrier. However any wider size will create issue.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-16.jpg

The steel rim, a local FNG mechanic has promised to get me a buyer for this:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-17.jpg

Manufacturer of steel rim:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-18.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 00:36   #78
BHPian

Great ownership review with excellent details , I'm seeing more XL6 than Ertiga in mid-Kerala these days !
Wonder what's the standard warranty for those secondary li-ion batteries ? And any issue if it's not functional?
TorqueIndia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 08:59   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Nicely detailed review with some educational bits ! Congratulations on the new car !

The one thing I too like about the 1.5L in Ertiga is the low end torque ! The way she pulls from standstill or very low speeds is something I never experienced in the 1.2L Honda or the 1.3L Fiat diesel that we had in our family.

I have one question which you might have an answer to, considering the mechanicals of XL-6 and Ertiga are same, I wonder why Ertiga's brakes are not that great, the brake pedal travel is high and one has to really stomp on the brakes in case of panic braking. Is there something different with the XL-6 that I can replace in the Ertiga just to improve the braking ?
Thanks a lot for your appreciation.

Regarding brakes, I think bleeding will solve the issue. Braking hardware is exactly same on the XL6 AFAIK. Refer to my take on the brakes, I didn't like the brakes on the TD car, they had the exact same sponginess and felt too mushy. Thankfully it's excellent in my car, and I'll make sure I get this effectiveness back when they bleed the brakes during 20k service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Great ownership review with excellent details , I'm seeing more XL6 than Ertiga in mid-Kerala these days !
Wonder what's the standard warranty for those secondary li-ion batteries ? And any issue if it's not functional?
The Smart Hybrid components, like the ISG and Li Ion battery, carry a standard warranty of 5 years. If the Li-Ion battery isn't functional, the car will continue to function as a normal car, without the SHVS related functions like Torque Assist, Brake energy recuperation, Auto Start-Stop etc.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 14:48   #80
BHPian

Congratulations again Shashi

Like I stated on the official review thread, I was delighted as I saw your purchase of the XL6 because I knew that an ocean of information will now become available to prospective buyers and users

Your passion and attention to detail is just phenomenal and I have already learnt more about the car than I did in 6 months of ownership

For eg. Unlike other cars in the House, the tail gate opening lever on the XL6 doesn't have an integrated sensor and given that the car is regularly used for house hold errands it's a feature we sorely missed. Only post reading you review did we realise that the sensor is right next to the lever

Thank You again for continuing to educate a lot of members and non members alike

Last edited by amit_2025 : 29th August 2020 at 14:50.
amit_2025 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 15:38   #81
BHPian

Quote:

-Under-tired stock wheel size: They give 195/60R16s with much nicer looking wheels on XL7 which is mechanically identical to the XL6. I have upgraded to 195/65R15 which is essentially the same wheel dia as the XL7. While my heart will always long for the sweet 16 inchers of the XL7, head says I now have the best possible alloy-tire combo. The increased sidewall surely helps in improving the ride..
Congratulations Leoshashi and a great ownership thread.

I too own an XL6 AT Alpha White.

Any specific reason why you haven't upsized to 16 inch wheels and matching tyres.

Also specific reason for 195/60R15. How much is the variation when compared to stock tyres.

I too thought of changing my tyres when the vehicle is new.. Unable to decide whether to up size or be in the same size but with a better tyre, I neglected it and now completed around 8.2K kms.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 29th August 2020 at 15:39.
vvrchandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 15:45   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post
Congratulations again Shashi

Like I stated on the official review thread, I was delighted as I saw your purchase of the XL6 because I knew that an ocean of information will now become available to prospective buyers and users

Your passion and attention to detail is just phenomenal and I have already learnt more about the car than I did in 6 months of ownership

For eg. Unlike other cars in the House, the tail gate opening lever on the XL6 doesn't have an integrated sensor and given that the car is regularly used for house hold errands it's a feature we sorely missed. Only post reading you review did we realise that the sensor is right next to the lever

Thank You again for continuing to educate a lot of members and non members alike
Haha, thanks. A lot of exciting upgrades are coming soon. Stay tuned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Congratulations Leoshashi and a great ownership thread.

I too own an XL6 AT Alpha White.

Any specific reason why you haven't upsized to 16 inch wheels and matching tyres.

Also specific reason for 195/60R15. How much is the variation when compared to stock tyres.

I too thought of changing my tyres when the vehicle is new.. Unable to decide whether to up size or be in the same size but with a better tyre, I neglected it and now completed around 8.2K kms.
As you must have realized, I didn't get any time to plan this purchase. So couldn't get time to source 16 inch alloys.

I didn't opt for 195/60R15 since they were a bit smaller than the already tiny stock ones. The export spec XL7 gets 195/60R16, and the 195/65R15s I have are very similar in dia. Additional benefit-I get extra sidewall for comfort which is important in an MPV.

Variation compared to stock tyres is around 2% which is acceptable.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 21:13   #83
BHPian

Quote:
.. I didn't opt for 195/60R15 since they were a bit smaller than the already tiny stock ones. The export spec XL7 gets 195/60R16, and the 195/65R15s I have are very similar in dia. Additional benefit-I get extra sidewall for comfort which is important in an MPV.

Variation compared to stock tyres is around 2% which is acceptable.

Regards,
Shashi
It was a typo to mention 195/60R15 in my post.

On 195/65R15, don't you think any mechanical impact will be there on the suspension setup or any other impact due to a change in any other mechanical parameters like rubbing when fully loaded or any such other scenarios. Also, hope there will not be any issue from the service guys.

Do you think the XL7 is exactly identical in all other parameters with XL6 including suspension setup and both are different in just tyre and wheel size.

Based on that I'll also be able to take a decision.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 29th August 2020 at 21:18.
vvrchandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 21:18   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
It was a typo to mention 195/60R15 in my post.

On 195/65R15, don't you think any mechanical impact will be there on the suspension setup or any other impact due to a change in any other mechanical parameters like rubbing when fully loaded or any such other scenarios. Also, there will not be any issue from the service guys. Based on that I'll also be able to take a decision. Thanks in advance.
No issue related to rubbing on full load. There is half a kilo weight difference between stock setup and new setup, per wheel. Only issue is, if any suspension or steering issue crops up, and you need warranty claim, the service guys may or may not create an issue. They have to fill a form with tyre size, make, pressure etc for report.

That much risk I am willing to take. No issue apart from the above warranty related issue.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 00:00   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, did a mod about which I am super happy and proud at the same time. The best part: No one in his/her senses would endorse this idea. But I had a theory and a belief, took a bit of risk and it all paid well. I'm feeling great because a company like MSIL with crores of resources, which is famous for sharing parts, didn't implement this. Well, MSIL can keep sharing the PW console, I'll think of something more useful!

Introduction: In all Maruti Official Reviews today, there is one statement which is common by our forum's reviewers.

Swift and Dzire's Review:

Quote:
Shockingly, no underbody protection at all! Not even a plastic cover below the engine. Couple that with the unladen ground clearance of just 163 mm, and it does get concerning
My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-2017marutidzire16.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-2017marutiswift17.jpg

Baleno's Review:

Quote:
Shockingly, no underbody protection at all! Not even a plastic cover below the engine. This is unacceptable for Indian road conditions - Maruti should know better:
My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-marutibaleno13.jpg

Ignis' Review:

Quote:
Shockingly, no underbody protection at all! Not even a plastic cover below the engine. This is unacceptable for Indian road conditions - Maruti should know better:
My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-2017marutiignis17.jpg

It was a common feature in WagonR's and S Presso's review as well. Ertiga and XL6 based on Heartect Platform, were no different.

Ertiga:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-2018marutiertiga13.jpg

Problem: The gaping space in the engine bay was an eyesore, and a potential hazard as well. One stone kicked from tyres and the filter and other aluminium components were at grave risk! My brain had started to work on it when my XL6 wasn't even manufactured! I had posted about this in the Dzire review.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-2019marutixl603.jpg

The Silver lining: During my regular browsing, I found out that the New Dzire with Dualjet engine comes with a plastic engine guard, and two small covers below front footwell. Pics I took during my XL6's PDI:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img20200729wa0022.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img20200729wa0023.jpg

A Screengrab from one of the Youtube Videos(notice how the heatshield lines up with the Dzire's Catcon and exhaust line):

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-capture.jpg

My theory: The platform is same. So the parts will vary in dimensions at the most. Still some holes will match at some point. I was anyways ready to make holes in the new engine guard if needed.

I ordered the parts via my old MASS. The owner said that if it doesn't fit, they can still be used in the New Dzire. So that was some assurance. I gave them the part numbers and they gladly placed an order. The parts arrived in about a week.

Engine Guard:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-1.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-4.jpg

Floor Covers:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-2.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-3.jpg

XL6 is looking majestic:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-5.jpg

Before, Notice how exposed the parts are:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-6.jpg

Trial fit using Screws and nuts:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-8.jpg

Remember the "Number style" nuts which are there on our Bumpers? Well I used a smaller version of it. Part Number: 39461M73M00

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-7.jpg

The surprise: All Holes matched with the XL6's stock holes. That further boosted my confidence. However one shortcoming happened, and I had to resort to a minor Jugaad for the same. In Dzire, I think the front part of the engine guard goes under some other trim. In my car, there was a minor 2 cm gap even after the front clips were installed. Any kind of wind/water blast can cause the clips and screws to fail. They are all held together by plastics. To solve that, I used 4 screws with oversized washers, so that when screws go all the way in, the washers hold the plate from front and makes it snug from front. Apart from this jugaad, it was entirely plug and play.

Before I forget, another issue happened in my car. The left front apron cover had a minor tear right at the point where clip/screw had to go. So only at near point I had to drill another new hole in the plastic cover. This issue won't happen in your cars if the covers aren't torn.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-9.jpg

Red Circles: Matching with stock holes on suspension subframe, used fender lining clips.

Green Circles: Used nut, washer and screw here on matching holes. Here you can use fender lining clips too.

Yellow Circles: Jugaad with washers holding down the front.

Violet Circle: Where I had to drill the only hole, due to torn stock hole in my existing part.

How the engine bay looks now(note, even here the stock heatshield has neatly matched):

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-10.jpg

View from Below(here you can understand what will happen if those four front washers don't hold the cover)

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-11.jpg

Doubts people may have:

1. Engine cooling: Enough gaps are still there for circulation.

2. Which material is this: This plastic lined with felt, and heatshield at some places.

3. Will I need to remove the cover for each oil change? No! The cover has a shiny openable cover if you see.

4. Which cars will it fit?
Direct fit: Swift, Dzire, May be the Baleno also.
Similar fit as mine: Ertiga XL6.
S Presso, WagonR and Ignis won't be able to fit this, probably, since they miss the side flank covers(notice the pics)

5. Will it make our cars invincible? No! A large boulder will still cause damage. It's only protection against small flying debris. Trust me, I have seen enough cases where gearbox/oil filters have been punctured by projectiles.

6. How much have I tested: Have driven for more than 1000 kms at high speeds and in heavy showers with large puddle formations on road. Happy to report that the cover is absolutely stable and hasn't moved even a millimeter.

7. What happened to the floor covers: They won't fit the underbody of the XL6/Ertiga. It will fit Swift and Dzire, while Baleno and other owners may check.

Hope you guys liked this!

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 30th August 2020 at 00:28.
Leoshashi is offline   (150) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 00:16   #86
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new ride and here's wishing you a very enjoyable ownership. with that out of the way..

Awesome review. Excellent photographs and a wealth of detail from accessories, various forms, XL6 sub frame members, anti rust coating, fog lamp part numbers, various exterior and interior elements it was simply fantastic. i noticed this a couple of days back and literally spent a good 20 minutes reading through the entire post/s.

Coincidentally I've been seeing quite a few XL6s on the road here this week and they genuinely look nice. Just a bit undertyred but then I saw a few examples with slightly wider tires which gave the vehicle a whole different stance. The extra few inches you gained by going for a higher profile, fills out the wheel wells better.

The value proposition is excellent as your reference to the Crysta points out.

I can't wait to see what else will turn up given your deep knowledge of the Maruti parts bin. Heck you have already solved the underbody/engine protection issue!!

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 00:17   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the XL6 buddy , loved reading the review and I am sure we will continue to see lot of interesting updates like the one mentioned above.

You are right that most of the Maruti cars skip under body protection for engine and gearbox. I will check if the same cover would fit my Baleno
Dr.Naren is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 00:19   #88
BHPian

As I mentioned earlier, I was sure that this thread would become a gold mine for useful diy's on xl6. I am sure this mod will be done by hundreds of owners who will read this thread. Not only it safeguards the vulnerable portions of the engine, it makes the car look tidy and complete.

One suggestion, you can use a plastic strip with matching holes so that it will hold the cover and also slide above the front portion of the car, which is otherwise few millimetres ahead. Big washers will hold the cover but won't cover the gap.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 30th August 2020 at 00:31.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 00:30   #89
BHPian

Quote:

Hope you guys liked this!

Regards,
Shashi

As is the usual norm. The DIY have started and boy, are they useful as hell. Glad that you do research and ensure everything matches your requirement and the situations like a glove. This underbody shield will be super useful from small flying debris. Continue with these DIY's. We all learn from your experiences, be it good or Bad. And the alloy spare is just the best small upgrade your XL6 has gotten. Keep enjoying buddy.

Regards,
Subhra

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th August 2020 at 10:21. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Please avoid quoting a large post as it inconveniences small screen users. Thanks!
tacho9000 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 00:39   #90
BHPian

Congratulations on the new aquisition Shashi! The colour looks brilliant in photos and in person as well.

The HU creaking sound is present in our Ertiga as well, seems like a stressed out plastic lock or a tolerance issue in the fitting, do post a fix once you are done with it.

This thread is already 6 pages long, it won't be long till it catches up with the Golden Goose!

Last edited by francis_vaz : 30th August 2020 at 00:41.
francis_vaz is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed