Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2022, 23:50   #901
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
I probably am asking a silly question, but is there a way to know what lighting system a car from Nexa is coming up with while it is arriving from the factory to dealership stockyard ? Or better still, during PDI, if we find that the car comes with Lumax lighting system, should we reject the car, and can we demand we want IJL . Won't the delaership say that even we do not have a way of knowing it.
Just asking because of your vast and thorough knowledge regarding all this.

Thanks and a belated congrats on your lovely car, as I stumbled upon your thread just today evening
Some models have multiple vendors while some have a single one. From what I know, XL6 had Lumax and IJL as vendors initially, IJL being the majority one, but somewhere around 2021, they have made just IJL as the sole vendor for HL for XL6 once updated part number rolled out. S Cross had a similar case, it had both IJL and Lumax as vendor. M800 back in its prime time had as many as 5 Vendors within MSIL(Lumax, IJL, Lucas TVS, Uno Minda, and Alpha Toyo) .

I just came to know that you're getting an Ignis Alpha, I believe IJL is the only vendor for your Headlights. For some models like Swift, Ciaz F/L etc, Lumax is the sole vendor now.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 20th January 2022 at 23:51.
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 23:59   #902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

I just came to know that you're getting an Ignis Alpha, I believe IJL is the only vendor for your Headlights. For some models like Swift, Ciaz F/L etc, Lumax is the sole vendor now.

Regards,
Shashi
You are really phenomenal Shashi
And really good deduction, Ignis Alpha MT it is in Pearl Arctic White

I thank you once again wholeheartedly and sincerely hope that the car comes with IJL lighting , like you said
ultimatechamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 16:11   #903
BHPian

Shashi sir or others, I have few questions:
Attached is picture of the D pillar vertical tail light for XL6.

1. does anyone know what is the part number of the white cap, wire and socket?
2. what is the bulb or lighting element which is used in this unit? Can it be purchased separately? What is it's part number?
3. where does the other end of this connector get connected?

I want to light up this part in my Ertiga, which is currently just a passive reflector. I could see there is provision but the hole has been blocked. Instead of buying the whole unit, I want to explore option if only the missing parts are bought and fixed.
Attached Thumbnails
My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-xl6-tail-light.png  

Old 22nd January 2022, 22:56   #904
BHPian

Hi Shashi and others, bought the Valeo fog lamp assembly from Boodmo a few days ago and managed to get it fixed by a reliable guy at a workshop that I frequently go to.

The before and after pics are attached (I still don’t know how to quote from an existing post or add photos in between the text, so pics are at the end).

The light throw from the Valeo fogs are definitely much better than the stock ones but light is low in brightness and yellow (though ideally “fog” lamps should be yellow to live up to its name).

I did read about the Osram Nightbreaker H11, can one of you post a link of that lamp on Amazon or Boodmo?

This is what I found: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07RCM5B39/...BJPT49P7?psc=1

What confuses me is the mention of dangling controller in your post, but these lamps are without any controller. Can I just replace the existing lamps on the Valeo fogs with these? Please throw some light (no pun intended).
Attached Thumbnails
My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-d8f4b732b20946588e67e89f35613398.jpeg  

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-6b0e161d80c141a3b836753a041bac5f.jpeg  

B-Taurus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 14:28   #905
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
Shashi sir or others, I have few questions:
Attached is picture of the D pillar vertical tail light for XL6.
Ertiga's TL unit doesn't get LED lighting element which XL6 gets, thus it's significantly cheaper. However I just checked the pin diagrams briefly, the connector for both are same. Try ordering a set from Boodmo, Main unit plus the pillar section for XL6(35701M72S00 and 35650M72S00 for RH side) and see if it illuminates. I'm optimistic that they will.

If it doesn't, initiate a return and your money will be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Taurus View Post
What confuses me is the mention of dangling controller in your post, but these lamps are without any controller. Can I just replace the existing lamps on the Valeo fogs with these? Please throw some light (no pun intended).
Please go through the post again, I had tried as many as 7 bulbs in the Valeo fog lamp. The mention of "dangling controller" is WRT Osram LED H11 and not the Nightbreaker. Amazon Link(prices are high now, buy it when it retails around 3000).

Yellow bulbs surely look soothing to the eyes in dense fogs, but on normal drives, I'll prefer the lights to be of single color, white. Visibility with LED or Halogen fogs is similar, this is my conclusion, just the white feels a bit harsh on the eyes and has more tendency to reflect back strongly in case of super dense fogs. In those conditions it's best to turn off the HL or turn it to Low, and rely only on fogs. White LEDs placed lower down is as good or bad as Yellow halogens IMHO.

Recently my city had very low visibility situation with some fog mixed with drizzle. Not that bad, but the visibility surely challenged the illumination. Happy to report that the setup worked brilliantly and I had no issue in driving peacefully. The camera is somehow not doing justice to the intensity of fog we had, looks way clear in pics.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20220123_181118.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20220123_181435.jpg

Regards,
Shashi

PS: I took a calculated risk of taking this pic since the roads had only slow moving truck traffic which were way behind me, so I could safely take this pic within seconds and move on.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 26th January 2022 at 14:37.
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 16:08   #906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Not that bad, but the visibility surely challenged the illumination.

- The camera is somehow not doing justice to the intensity of fog we had, looks way clear in pics.
- Thanks, this alleviates my concern of LED H/L and F/L in fog. As always, your pics are quite helpful

- Ditto, I took some pics of the fog on Saturday morning and Sunday night and the pics came out at least twice as clear as what I was experiencing.
In case it helps :

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20220126_160135collage.jpg
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 16:22   #907
Distinguished - BHPian

Off topic post regarding fog and camera. The depth perception of camera in foggy conditions is way more than our eyes. Twice I've used phone camera to get my way through dense fog, camera had better clarity. Slow driving with very less traffic and using my phone to look ahead.
BoneCollector is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 17:03   #908
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Off topic post regarding fog and camera. The depth perception of camera in foggy conditions is way more than our eyes. Twice I've used phone camera to get my way through dense fog, camera had better clarity. Slow driving with very less traffic and using my phone to look ahead.
This is the reason why videos from Dashcam when driving in foggy conditions do not depict the real picture. You may want to show how foggy the roads were but the video will make it look like everything was clear and there was hardly any fog .
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 01:55   #909
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Steps for updating Smartplay Studio Infotainment system to MD-0820:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
As the interface is almost the same, Can this update be attempted on the Glanza?
Just realised, the software versions of Toyota's headunit is coded as TD, while that of Maruti starts with MD.

A Pic from UC's Headunit:

Name:  image 10.jpeg
Views: 1628
Size:  60.4 KB

PS: Sorry for quoting such an old post.
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 17:40   #910

Dear all,

I have a 2013 Ertiga ZXI petrol with 66k on odo. The car hasn't had any major issues and I just love the practicality and convenience. The only problem I have now is that on highway rides there is a lot of noise - both engine and ambient - plus the ride isn't smooth. I feel the road - the car transfers every bit of undulation into the cabin, and consequently, I feel tired at the end of a long drive even if it's a good road. I realize that NVH and ride comfort aren't Ertiga's strengths, but wondering if there is way to fix this.

Re. ride quality, I got advice on another thread to have the suspension checked at the ASC, which I will do shortly. I had replaced OEM tyres (after 8 years) with XM2+ in Aug 2021.

Re. NVH, there's a lot of great info in this thread, but I am not an enthusiast or a DIY'er to be able to follow the guidance here. From asking around, I learned that 3M has a damping solution but mainly to make the music sound better. Does the 3M damping make any difference to reduce engine/road noise? For a novice like me, if I can find a mechanic who can do damping work, should I "tell" them to do damping on doors, bonnet and boot? Will they know what to do? And what would be the budget?

If I can fix the above issues, I'd love to keep the Ertiga for another 2-3 years. If not, I'd likely replace it this year. There's really no alternative to Ertiga when it comes to VFM so it's been a bit of a dilemma whether to get another Ertiga or increase the budget and go for Safari/XUV700/Innova, etc. Will wait for Karens pricing and Ertiga facelift to come out before deciding.

I definitely want an automatic, and was concerned about the 4-speed AT but the discussion in this thread has put those concerns to rest. I wasn't considering XL6 at all because I didn't think it's worth the premium (plus the 6 seating), but again, this thread has actually made me start liking the XL6 Thank you Shashi and others for the wonderful posts and thread.

However, my biggest worry about getting another Ertiga/XL6 remains the noise issue. If getting a mechanic to do damping is a simple and straight-forward solution, it pretty much settles the deal for me. Even if I were to upgrade my car this year, I don't mind spending 25-30K on damping my current Ertiga and drive it for a couple of months so I have that first-hand experience. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you!
Paddy
Paddy19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 20:09   #911
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy19 View Post
Dear all,

I have a 2013 Ertiga ZXI petrol with 66k on odo. The car hasn't had any major issues and I just love the practicality and convenience. The only problem I have now is that on highway rides there is a lot of noise - both engine and ambient - plus the ride isn't smooth. I feel the road - the car transfers every bit of undulation into the cabin, and consequently, I feel tired at the end of a long drive even if it's a good road. I realize that NVH and ride comfort aren't Ertiga's strengths, but wondering if there is way to fix this.

Re. ride quality, I got advice on another thread to have the suspension checked at the ASC, which I will do shortly. I had replaced OEM tyres (after 8 years) with XM2+ in Aug 2021.

Re. NVH, there's a lot of great info in this thread, but I am not an enthusiast or a DIY'er to be able to follow the guidance here. From asking around, I learned that 3M has a damping solution but mainly to make the music sound better. Does the 3M damping make any difference to reduce engine/road noise? For a novice like me, if I can find a mechanic who can do damping work, should I "tell" them to do damping on doors, bonnet and boot? Will they know what to do? And what would be the budget?

If I can fix the above issues, I'd love to keep the Ertiga for another 2-3 years. If not, I'd likely replace it this year. There's really no alternative to Ertiga when it comes to VFM so it's been a bit of a dilemma whether to get another Ertiga or increase the budget and go for Safari/XUV700/Innova, etc. Will wait for Karens pricing and Ertiga facelift to come out before deciding.

I definitely want an automatic, and was concerned about the 4-speed AT but the discussion in this thread has put those concerns to rest. I wasn't considering XL6 at all because I didn't think it's worth the premium (plus the 6 seating), but again, this thread has actually made me start liking the XL6 Thank you Shashi and others for the wonderful posts and thread.

However, my biggest worry about getting another Ertiga/XL6 remains the noise issue. If getting a mechanic to do damping is a simple and straight-forward solution, it pretty much settles the deal for me. Even if I were to upgrade my car this year, I don't mind spending 25-30K on damping my current Ertiga and drive it for a couple of months so I have that first-hand experience. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you!
Paddy
Upgrading from your Ertiga and getting another Ertiga/XL6 doesn't make much sense. Instead invest some money and get your current car all spruced up, with new suspension and damping.

3M's solution is a waste of money, avoid. All you need to find is a reliable mechanic who knows how to open interior trims safely. Rest, it's no rocket science. Get floor and doors properly insulated. Roof panel is quite tricky so I wouldn't recommend that unless your mechanic is confident of fitting back everything well. Feel free to post your queries here once you have found a mechanic, show him my posts and he will understand. Damping sheets, cutter, roller and new clips(highly recommend that) is all he will need. If you have good parking space at your place, convince him to do it there if possible. At shops, there are a lot of things which may go bad.

I think your shocks have lived their life, so start with that. Even if you change all the suspension front and back, and get proper sound insulation done, you won't spend more than 60k in all!
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 20:19   #912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy19 View Post
Dear all,

A brand new Ertiga will not be like this and these are issues that can be fixed without spending much money as well - unless you are looking for a new car altogether.

The following things need to be looked into - works the same way for any old car.

1. Door rubber seals.
2. window weather seals as well as tightening them glass down.
3. Door alignment.
4. Engine & GB mounts.
5. Suspension must be worn out.
6. Tyres to be replaced if they are worn out.

Considering it is a Maruti, you wont need to pay a lot of money to get all this done.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 21:04   #913

Quote:
Upgrading from your Ertiga and getting another Ertiga/XL6 doesn't make much sense. Instead invest some money and get your current car all spruced up, with new suspension and damping.

3M's solution is a waste of money, avoid. All you need to find is a reliable mechanic who knows how to open interior trims safely. Rest, it's no rocket science. Get floor and doors properly insulated. Roof panel is quite tricky so I wouldn't recommend that unless your mechanic is confident of fitting back everything well. Feel free to post your queries here once you have found a mechanic, show him my posts and he will understand. Damping sheets, cutter, roller and new clips(highly recommend that) is all he will need. If you have good parking space at your place, convince him to do it there if possible. At shops, there are a lot of things which may go bad.

I think your shocks have lived their life, so start with that. Even if you change all the suspension front and back, and get proper sound insulation done, you won't spend more than 60k in all!
Thank you for the quick response. I will start with getting suspension checked/replaced and if that improves ride quality, that itself will be a major boost. Noted your advice on damping too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
A brand new Ertiga will not be like this and these are issues that can be fixed without spending much money as well - unless you are looking for a new car altogether.
Thanks for the response. What did you mean by "A brand new Ertiga will not be like this..."? As in the new car won't have these NVH issues? I thought, at some level, it's inherent to the Ertiga based on the build quality.

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd February 2022 at 21:21. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts. Thank you!
Old 4th February 2022, 07:32   #914
BHPian

Hello Sashi and other XL6/Ertiga users, My rear camera display guide lines are missing all of a sudden. Can one of you suggest how to get it back? Where can I find the settings for this?

Also my SmartPlayStudio version is showing as MD-1220. Is there a SW update pending for me? Can I just take it to a MASS and ask them to check if an update is possible?

—B
Old 4th February 2022, 16:42   #915
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Taurus View Post
Hello Sashi and other XL6/Ertiga users, My rear camera display guide lines are missing all of a sudden. Can one of you suggest how to get it back? Where can I find the settings for this?

Also my SmartPlayStudio version is showing as MD-1220. Is there a SW update pending for me? Can I just take it to a MASS and ask them to check if an update is possible?

—B
Engage reverse gear and while the rear cam display is on, hit the settings button. There you get option for enabling guide lines.

Regarding Software version, MD-0421 is the latest version and it's available with service centers. I got mine updated few weeks back.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20211227_150808.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks