Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2022, 22:27   #916
BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Hey Shashi,

Thanks for the quick reply. That was quite straightforward, but somehow, I couldn’t think of it. Managed to get the grid lines back. Thanks a ton.

Regarding the software upgrade, can I just walk in to any MASS and request for it?

Can I also get the ISG software upgraded though I don’t qualify for the hardware update?

—B

Last edited by Aditya : 5th February 2022 at 06:46. Reason: Typo, SMS language
B-Taurus is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th February 2022, 13:52   #917
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Taurus View Post
Hey Shashi,

Thanks for the quick reply. That was quite straightforward, but somehow, I couldn’t think of it. Managed to get the grid lines back. Thanks a ton.

Regarding the software upgrade, can I just walk in to any MASS and request for it?

Can I also get the ISG software upgraded though I don’t qualify for the hardware update?

—B
Yes you can get it done at any MASS. They should have the update file for HU. Regarding ISG software update, I wouldn't comment on whether it should be done for newer cars or if it's doable.

Update: The Car is being used only within city, thus the odometer is climbing up very slowly. Managed to cross 18k on the odo yesterday.

-Had to go off the road to escape from an overtaking bus, hit a small hump at good speeds and the steering wheel got tilted a bit towards left. Got it fixed at MASS.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20220206_103923.jpg

-The boot struts/Balancers have finally become weak enough for MASS to accept the flaw and order a replacement under warranty. Hope the parts arrive soon.

Apart from this, the XL6 keeps doing it's duty flawlessly.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 21:20   #918
Distinguished - BHPian

First warranty claim of my XL6: The boot struts right from day 1, never felt sufficient or enthusiastic enough to lift the boot door. It did it's job, never fell on my head. But it was painfully slow, to an extent that I often ended up lifting the door with my hands.

A pic from the early days of ownership, This was the maximum it raised on it's own, that too slowly:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-1.jpg

The weird part was that, I was never able to reproduce the issue at MASS. Whenever the car was under shade or parked overnight, the struts lost their strength. It worked flawlessly when parked out in sun, perhaps due to heat and pressure. Thankfully, when I was at the MASS last Sunday for Alignment, the issue happened in front of WM and he was quick to take a video of the struts in action. I wouldn't blame Maruti or MASS for this delay, they were prompt in changing it once they saw the issue in person.

Parts arrived yesterday, and I got it installed today. The lift action is much improved now and hope it stays this way. Also noticed the closing action of the boot to be far smoother with very less resistance than what it was earlier.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20220212_175220.jpg

Also, after the ISG change plus software update, the efficiency has gone up by 1-1.5kmpl under similar driving conditions. Was pleasantly surprised to spot the MID reading yesterday, after driving purely within the city(I usually keep the MID screen on Battery-Motor display).

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20220211_145236.jpg

Signing off with a recent click of the XL6:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20220211_143228.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 12:14   #919
BHPian

Thanks for the post. My boot shocks are also having issue. When I enquired my SA said this is not covered under warranty. Will check with him again.
blorebuddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 14:59   #920
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
Thanks for the post. My boot shocks are also having issue. When I enquired my SA said this is not covered under warranty. Will check with him again.
Most SA's are ignorant and will give you any nonsense they feel like. Speak to someone senior like Workshop Manager and they'll give you the true picture.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 21:04   #921
BHPian

Quote:
I had the same issue, and it was replaced under warranty. They did a thorough inspection and replaced only the one which failed. For my car the right strut failed while the left was 'OK'. It is recommended to replace both but I did not bother much as the car was fairly new. However this failure is very much covered under warranty. If your dealer denies, you have a list of Escalation matrix available in every dealership, please escalate to Maruti TSM, and this should be taken care.
MadTiger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 13:46   #922
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTiger View Post
I had the same issue, and it was replaced under warranty. They did a thorough inspection and replaced only the one which failed. For my car the right strut failed while the left was 'OK'. It is recommended to replace both but I did not bother much as the car was fairly new.
+1. What comes as pair should always be replaced as a pair. I was mentally prepared to pay for the second strut incase they replace only a single unit. Thankfully, when checked, both the struts were found weak, left one more so. They first replaced only the LH one and still the boot wasn't going up on it's own. Thus they replaced both. This delay happened because of the struts working fine when car had been under the sun for sometime.

Maruti also pleasantly surprised us last week. The XL6 AT which was featured few posts ago, recently suffered a flat after going through a nasty pothole, but the tear was not visible. We simply called the RM and asked if he could get the wheel checked, if there was any alloy damage. Alloy was fine but the tyre had an internal cut which goes under the alloy lip. Bridgestone rightfully rejected the claim with pics of the cut which was visible once the tyre was removed. But the Customer care manager(CCM) of the showroom, from her own capacity, spoke to Maruti and they agreed to cover the loss partially(60%) on goodwill basis. All this without me having any hope or requesting anyone.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img20220205wa0008.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-screenshot_20220215132431_whatsapp.jpg

Offtopic, but the spare wheel removal mechanism of XL6/Ertiga during crisis is a royal pain! Innova's mechanism is far easier.

Quote:
If your dealer denies, you have a list of Escalation matrix available in every dealership, please escalate to Maruti TSM, and this should be taken care.
I'd recommend speaking to the Workshop Manager(WM) first, even in my case the SAs were giving excuses and almost passed this off as normal. But the WM agreed that it is covered under warranty, but he will need to see the failure himself and record a video of the same within his premises.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 16:20   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I'd recommend speaking to the Workshop Manager(WM) first, even in my case the SAs were giving excuses and almost passed this off as normal. But the WM agreed that it is covered under warranty, but he will need to see the failure himself and record a video of the same within his premises.

Regards,
Shashi
Thanks. After your post I have insisted my SA to check on this. He has asked me for the same ritual. Video has to be recorded! He was also giving some gyan like it's more than 2 years for my vehicle etc. I am determined to escalate and get this from Maruti. I have extended warranty for 5 years.
blorebuddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 20:12   #924
Senior - BHPian

Dear LeoShashi, the increased work load as a result of third COVID-19 wave has put me out of touch of this thread. Can you please reply to these two queries,

1. Is ISG software update being done now for recalled cars? I remember it had been put on hold in the past. My S-Cross is visiting Chandigarh for MGU replacement next week. They are just calling me too many times daily and are not able to understand that I do not have the liberty to take leaves right now.

2. Do you have any idea of the power supplied by the in-built amp in the stock head unit? I intend to replace the stock speakers without changing head unit or adding any amplifier. My previous car was able to do nominal justice to the JBL GTO608c 2 ohm components and JVC 4 ohm co-axials that I installed. But the Delphi Head Unit in Fiats is said to have a 30x4 watts amplifier built in. Not sure if Maruti has put in something lighter. If you have certain specific speaker recommendation, that would be welcome.
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 22:17   #925
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He was also giving some gyan like it's more than 2 years for my vehicle etc
Agreed your car is older than 2 years, but the EW Terms and Conditions document doesn't mention Gas struts anywhere in its excluded items list. Thus you have full rights IMO to get it changed.

Name:  Screenshot 20220216 220714.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  201.4 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
1. Is ISG software update being done now for recalled cars? I remember it had been put on hold in the past. My S-Cross is visiting Chandigarh for MGU replacement next week. They are just calling me too many times daily and are not able to understand that I do not have the liberty to take leaves right now.
I did contact my MASS and they have already finished their target of ISG replacements way ago, so they aren't aware of any latest development. Still, if you insist, you can get the software update post hardware change. BHPian Madtiger got his ISG changed in Bangalore and got his software update in Kolkata after requesting his MASS. It was after the software change, his mileage and performance increased.

MASS have a target to follow and thus they are contacting you so many times. In case of my MASS, they have completed their target and have covered more than 90% of the customers linked to them. Only those cars are left which are scrapped/total loss or address phone number etc have changed.

Quote:
2. Do you have any idea of the power supplied by the in-built amp in the stock head unit? I intend to replace the stock speakers without changing head unit or adding any amplifier. My previous car was able to do nominal justice to the JBL GTO608c 2 ohm components and JVC 4 ohm co-axials that I installed. But the Delphi Head Unit in Fiats is said to have a 30x4 watts amplifier built in. Not sure if Maruti has put in something lighter. If you have certain specific speaker recommendation, that would be welcome.
No idea about this, and I should be the last person to recommend anyone about audio. I'm myself badly confused, ask 100 people and a 100 different suggestions come in.

Also music is a very personal choice, thus one cannot take suggestions blindly. This is exactly why I'm not sure when I'll get an audio upgrade.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 23:15   #926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post

If my knowledge serves me right, the stock unit is HK and the rated output is 50x4. I have upgraded my stock speakers to components in front and coaxial at rear. Compared to stock speakers which were meager 25watts my new setup is still able to produce good volume at 8. I can go upto 14 or even a little more but with stock you could barely cross 12 it used to get very loud and distorted after that, Hope it helps.

PS: I went with Avatar Buran Series.

Last edited by MadTiger : 16th February 2022 at 23:17.
MadTiger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 00:01   #927
Distinguished - BHPian

Minor Update: The XL6 got hit by protruding metal bar of an E Rick, which was going on wrong side/lane. Since I was stationary, there was nothing I could do, rather than seeing the damage on ORVM.

The rear left cladding got ripped out near lower bumper. Thankfully, no other damage to the car. Now these claddings were the same ones which took the brunt when I had brushed against a pillar in November 2020.

I had purchased the cladding back then, but refrained from putting on because the clips were too tight. This time, E Rick had made my job easier. The cladding on door came out cleanly, but the one on Quarter panel was a pain and most of the clips got stuck.

The impact point on old cladding:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20220217_172741.jpg

Decided to fix the part on rear door too. The new cladding comes with new Clips, part number and price:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20220217_165931.jpg

The underside of cladding was too dirty:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20220217_170105.jpg

Cleaned quickly:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20220217_170205.jpg

Door part replaced:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20220217_170402.jpg

Cladding removed from Quarter panel:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20220217_171124.jpg

It also came with it's clips pre installed:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20220217_170759.jpg

These trims are quite cheap, reminds me of M800 days!:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20220217_173535.jpg

Replaced, removing those stuck clips was the only tiring part:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20220217_202645.jpg

Found this Assembly line sticker under the cladding:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20220217_171020.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 00:51   #928
BHPian

Great. The claddings will generally bear the brunt and are cheap to replace. Its a great advantage over the Ertiga.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 17:03   #929
BHPian

Late post!
Dated 29-Jan

Hi all,
Happy to share that after a long time I got an opportunity to get works done on my Ertiga AT ZXI

1. Day started by getting thorough underbody wash, in anticipation of fitting the engine guard.

2. I had already bought Engine guard (of new Dzire) and required clamps few days back. Thanks to B-Taurus and ProcRJ for sharing the MGA outlet and service centre to get it fixed. It is located around 13kms away but went there irrespective, since they have done the same job for many other vehicles. The job itself took around 20mins

3. I had faced issue of rats chewing on wires and rubber bellow for air intake. This was found last time when getting it serviced. Till now I had asked them to tape it up until the parts get a available. This was available at Bimal service center. The replacement part was supposed to be available in the evening. I also installed the improved air filter, as suggested by LeoShashi

4. It was spontaneous decision to install spoiler. I found the correct part number. It comes already coloured and costs 5k + 500 for installation. This was available today only with Mandovi, Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore. After fitment I saw that there is a gap between the top left and right corners and the body. I plan to fill this gap with silicon (used in aquariums) to ensure no water seeps into the hole. There is already a rubberised 3M adhesive tape but I want to be doubly sure.

5. I also installed the magnet based door open flasher indicator at the edge of all 4 doors. As of now, it is going good.
rich_heart is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 15:35   #930
BHPian

It’s been a while since I have updated this thread. Quite a few turn of events has happened. I will divide the post in two sections: a) upgrades b) warranty claims

Upgrades: Let there be light!

One of the major drawbacks of XL6 are the headlights! I miss halogen, yes! I am old school. Nothing beats it period. I was even ready for a swap with Ertiga if they were direct fit, unfortunately they were not. I have been following Shashi and was waiting for him to come up with a worthy upgrade that would be worth it.

Today I am so excited like a small child getting candy. This upgrade was so satisfying that the outcome just blew my mind. The only downside is the temptation to keep them on all the time during night drives. But these days I try to restrict myself and use the OE headlamps alone and use them on need basis.

So I went with Valeo fog lamp housing and Osram LED’s and the combination beats OE fogs black and blue. The spread is almost 180 degrees and gives immense confidence to drive triple digits at night when needed. Extremely happy with this setup OE headlamps and upgraded fogs has eliminated lack of visibility and has increased tremendous confidence.

The clear lens looks spectacular.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-lights.jpeg

Horns: Can we get a bit louder?

The OE horns were just Ok. Definitely lacked the respect on road, often XL6 was let go as bike. Even though I wasn’t too keen on fiddling with the front grill, but leos persistent push on the upgrade was enough to get this done. Had to struggle with the mounts but finally was able to get it done. Definitely Snow White stands out in traffic, a tap on horns are enough to get attention. The pair of Hella does a decent job.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-horns.jpeg

Android Auto? It was a pain in the hind part with AA failing every time. Freezing maps, audio playing thru phone, non-responsive HU and the list goes on.

But finally, the new update for the HU has put most worries to bay. The first thing I had tested was to check if music resumes in HU instead of phone while finishing a call, and oh boy yes it plays on the HU, it was such a relief that Maruti addressed this after almost a year of owning the car, now I can take calls and continue listing to music after finishing the call.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_20220101_172824_.jpg

Warranty claim: Major tire wear on the rear wheels.

I do religious rotation of tires every 5k kms. However I been noticing that the tires are wearing on the outer shoulders more. It took time for me to realize that this is happening more on the rear wheels than on front. Shashi did update this thread with a possible issue with rear axle that will be replaced under warranty if found defective.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-old-axle.jpeg

So I got my vehicle checked in Kolkata MASS, initially they had no clue what I was talking about but later on after explaining they acknowledged the issue, Thorough inspection and measurements were taken. Report was sent to Maruti for initial approval for part replacement, Maruti did approve replacement of axle under warranty. All tire tread was measured for unusual wear. Detailed report was sent to Maruti for final approval of part replacement.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-new-axle.jpeg

Also approached the WM and explained about my car tires prematurely wearing out and if warranty will be provided on them. Initially they said they cannot do anything about the tire wear or any warranty claim can be approved. So I reached out to TSM and explained the situation, he took some time and got back to me with a good news, two tires were approved to be replaced under goodwill warranty, they were replaced on pro rata basis.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-tire.jpeg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-tire_fit.jpeg

Also the suspension was thoroughly checked and the report came normal for all parameters.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-susp.jpeg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-monitor.jpeg

ODO almost reaching 18k kms, after getting the software update for lithium ion charging the mileage has shot up substantially, easily breaching 18kmpl. Was pleasantly surprised with the results that a firmware update can do.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-fe.jpeg

Since the OE jack is good for emergency use, got a portable bottle hydraulic jack that does the job well. Some reference pictures.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-ajck.jpeg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-jack_ref.jpeg

Has two tone rated load capacity!

Overall happy with our Snow White!
MadTiger is offline   (23) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks