Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2022, 14:21   #976
BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
[b]Bhubaneswar-Puri trip, ]
Nice travelogue and well documented with scenic photographs.
Any visit to our native and school always brings excitement and carries good memories. Long drive of 10 + hours is hectic for parents. Good that your XL6 drive is much appreciated by your MOM. Getting 19.5 Mileage with mix of City, single lane and highway is impressive. Leoshashi. I won't miss you post's on TBHP. I learnt so much from your posts and travelogues to upkeep my Ertiga - VDI. Many times I posted your photos and ideas on Ertiga owners whatsup group. Your inputs helped other members of the group.
RavyaLe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 17:11   #977
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_Shikhar View Post
Nice and crisp details of the trip. The roads seems to be excellent to drive; also there is lesser on coming traffic? (Cause two photos show you on right side of the road)
Yes the roads were fairly empty. Me driving on middle of road is mostly my defense mechanism to escape going off the road or hitting divider/nearby trees while taking pic from behind the wheel. I ensure roads are empty, my car speed is around low 20kmph, and I'm on center of road before I take such 1 sec distraction pics.

Quote:
Also can you please comment on under thigh support of the captain seats? It seems a bit lesser ( looking at one of the photos).
It's enough for medium size adults, but surely a bit lacking for taller 6 footers like me. It's similar to what other MPVs have though. For example, compared to our Crysta, the seats on XL6 have similar under thigh support, but the width of seats on Crysta is more.

Quote:
20k km from 2020 that to facing covid restrictions is a good mark
That's what my average running is, I was expecting 10k km per year. It's been 20 months of ownership and it has done 20k, thus a bit more than anticipated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Shashi, would you by any chance have access to this ZIP file? My service center guy was clueless. Our S-Presso is running version MD-1221.
I didn't post the ZIP file on any social media this time, because many owners ended up bricking their Headunits last time due to wrong process, and obviously MSIL didn't entertain any warranty claims.

Kindly speak to WM or senior most chap or your workshop, they surely will help you in getting the file.

I should also mention that this MD-0421 is the best firmware version yet, I did entire Puri trip and the HU didn't hang even once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornNotOkPlease View Post
We just missed a photo shoot opportunity with two XL6 on the beach, i had also travelled to Puri from Kolkata as well on the 25-27th weekend
That's sad, would have loved to meet you. Do let me know if you ever plan a trip for Ranchi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_Monk View Post
Amazing Travelogue. I really enjoyed reading your travelogue but one thing that stole my heart was that white gypsy. Though it was not properly taken care of but gypsys always attract me.
Thanks for this great travelogue Leoshashi.
Thanks! Seeing the Gypsy in that state was truly sad, specially when it has been a part of my childhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavyaLe View Post
Nice travelogue and well documented with scenic photographs.
Any visit to our native and school always brings excitement and carries good memories. Long drive of 10 + hours is hectic for parents. Good that your XL6 drive is much appreciated by your MOM. Getting 19.5 Mileage with mix of City, single lane and highway is impressive. Leoshashi. I won't miss you post's on TBHP. I learnt so much from your posts and travelogues to upkeep my Ertiga - VDI. Many times I posted your photos and ideas on Ertiga owners whatsup group. Your inputs helped other members of the group.
Thanks Sir. Glad my posts are helpful to the community.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 22:21   #978
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
-Have two active complains lodged with MSIL, first about peeling chrome finish on grill and second being a minor play in front seats(which I thought was normal) until that automatic XL6 came in our family. Maruti officials have filed a report and changed a few stuff but it made no difference to the play(made it worse on one of the seats). Their technical team is working on it and a resolution is expected soon. Will post in detail about it once they fix it. Regarding peeling chrome finish on, they have already ordered the part and it should be changed under warranty this week.
Update: The black painted part on grill is perhaps done directly over chrome, and thus the black paint started peeling off at many places. This was more pronounced on the RH part of the grill. After confirming that it was indeed a manufacturing defect and not due to external impact or other reasons, the replacement part was ordered. Had it been outside warranty, I would have wrapped/painted the part, but since the car is in primary warranty and MSIL was more than willing to fix it, I opted to get it changed.

Condition of grill on 12th Feb, when the issue was first spotted. Later the finish got peeled at many places.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20220212_135747.jpg

Replaced under warranty:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20220402_165638.jpg

Bill:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20220402_201454.jpg

Current Odo reading:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20220402_200427.jpg

Regards,
Shashi

PS: Hope they solve the seat related issue soon.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 2nd April 2022 at 22:24.
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 23:11   #979
BHPian

Quote:
Utilized the weekend to carry out these jobs:

0W16 Shell:

Whats your feedback on this engine oil?

Till date I have got my 2020 Ertiga serviced from ASC which used to charge around 3.5k for 3.2 ltrs Mobil 0W20, this time I decided to get it serviced from outside, in local market this F9000 was the only engine oil I could find in 0W20. I was shocked to know it's price, it just cost 1100, MRP was 1500 something. I believe this engine oil is not as good as the Mobil 1 for which ASC was charging 3.5k.

Last edited by mathur2012 : 2nd April 2022 at 23:13.
mathur2012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 23:46   #980
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathur2012 View Post
Whats your feedback on this engine oil?

Till date I have got my 2020 Ertiga serviced from ASC which used to charge around 3.5k for 3.2 ltrs Mobil 0W20, this time I decided to get it serviced from outside, in local market this F9000 was the only engine oil I could find in 0W20. I was shocked to know it's price, it just cost 1100, MRP was 1500 something. I believe this engine oil is not as good as the Mobil 1 for which ASC was charging 3.5k.
I'm a firm believer of not messing with the 2nd number of an oil grade. In case of K15B engine, 0W16 is recommended, and thus for it's entire life, I will stick to this grade. Secondly, I have been told that these engines get prefilled with Shell oil at factory, and thus I ensure Shell is poured at each service. There are other vendors like Idemitsu, Castrol etc, but I always prefer Shell.

Having said that, in my opinion, the oil/viscosity feels mediocre at best. It degrades a lot after 7,000 km, turning extremely black and the engine feeling a bit coarse. Since the oil is cheap @ Rs. 1575 for 3.5L, I change it every 5k km. Fresh oil never hurts. As of now, there is no good option in this grade from manufacturers like Amsoil etc, thus I have no option but to stick to 0W16 MGO.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 08:35   #981
BHPian

Quote:
I'm a firm believer of not messing with the 2nd number of an oil grade.
I agree on sticking to recommended oil grading but I was saying that I believe this F9000 oil is too cheap to be good, as I told till date I have used only Mobil1 Fully synthetic which cost around 3.5k for 3.2 ltrs. 6-7 years back in my bike also I used fully synthetic Mobil which cost around 750 litres for 1 litres. This F9000 which is advertised as fully synthetic for mere 1100 rs doesn't feel like quality oil to me.
mathur2012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 11:00   #982
BHPian

So I got the underbody cover fitted on the Glanza yesterday and it was as expected to see it be a direct fit. Huge thanks to Leoshashi for the post. I used Screws with washers all round and the number plate style clips which Shashi mentioned in his OP. Fixed new fender lining and new side flank cover on the left side. the right side flank cover was missing a part so temporarily used a cable tie to secure the underbody cover till the new part arrives.

Attaching some pictures of the same.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_20220402_174505.jpg
My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img20220402wa0026.jpg
My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img20220402wa0027.jpg

Have a look at how much of the side flank cover had the dogs eaten. Gosh!

Old Vs New

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_20220402_164401.jpg

Regards
Ashton Castelino

Last edited by Ashtoncastelino : 3rd April 2022 at 11:01.
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 11:00   #983
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I agree on sticking to recommended oil grading but I was saying that I believe this F9000 oil is too cheap to be good, as I told till date I have used only Mobil1 Fully synthetic which cost around 3.5k for 3.2 ltrs. 6-7 years back in my bike also I used fully synthetic Mobil which cost around 750 litres for 1 litres. This F9000 which is advertised as fully synthetic for mere 1100 rs doesn't feel like quality oil to me.
This surely is synthetic as one BHPian who works with a leading Lubricant brand confirmed this to me. Grades like 0w16 cannot be formulated on a mineral base. In synthetic, it may be of a cheaper variety, that's very much possible. It's like someone scoring 40 marks is as much pass as someone scoring 90!

Also, wider the viscosity range, more expensive the oil will be, everything else remaining constant. For example, 0w40 will be more expensive to manufacture than 0w16.

Hope this clears your doubt.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 10:46   #984
BHPian

Quote:
This surely is synthetic as one BHPian who works with a leading Lubricant brand confirmed this to me. Grades like 0w16 cannot be formulated on a mineral base. In synthetic, it may be of a cheaper variety, that's very much possible. It's like someone scoring 40 marks is as much pass as someone scoring 90!

Also, wider the viscosity range, more expensive the oil will be, everything else remaining constant. For example, 0w40 will be more expensive to manufacture than 0w16.

Hope this clears your doubt.

Regards,
Shashi

I checked online, for 0w20 there are a few better options available but for 0w16 I found only one option, this ecstar only. Looks like I too will have to stick to this one only.
Old 4th April 2022, 10:50   #985
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I checked online, for 0w20 there are a few better options available but for 0w16 I found only one option, this ecstar only. Looks like I too will have to stick to this one only.
Yes, there is no other option in 0W16 yet. AFAIK, there are 3 vendors till now, Shell, Idemitsu and Castrol, and that's my order of preference.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 21:51   #986
BHPian

Quote:
There's this one brand that sells 0W16 oil, but at 1233/ltr I think it's pretty expensive. You can have a look here:-

https://www.euroliquids.co.in/produc...e-0w-16-hybrid

This comes with API SN and ILSAC GF-5.
Old 11th April 2022, 16:02   #987
BHPian

My Swift rear shockers were due for replacement as the right rear shocker was leaking.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-photo-ashton-castelino.jpg

Taking advantage of the recent boodmo sale, I immediately ordered rear shockers while keeping Shashi in loop.
The new shocks were of Gabriel make. January 2022 manufactured.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-new-shockers.jpeg

I planned to do the replacement as DIY at home with the help of my dad as we have all the required tools or so we thought ( more on that later).

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-tools.jpg

So yesterday we lifted the car at home, unscrewed the bottom nut of the shocker and proceeded to remove the upper one and BOOM, here comes the surprise.
Left shocker Upper Bolt

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-left-shocker.jpeg

Right shocker Upper bolt

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-right-shocker.jpeg

These are definitely the stock rear shockers which came with the car 15 years ago (2006). The nuts are basically seized, we hammered and did whatever we could but the nut would not even budge. Sprayed WD40 and left it to soak but still no luck. Yes it was that bad. At this point , we thought the only thing left is to remove it with heat. I did not want to follow this method as it would lead to further rusting around the surrounding area in the future.

Dad being the expert he is , told me to find a angle grinder to cut the bolt off. We did not have an angle grinder and It being a sunday, no workshops were open. Luckily for us , our neighbour is a carpenter , he had an angle grinder with him and we were so relieved when he gave us a confirmation.

So I started covering all the surrounding areas with wet rags and dad started to cut off the nut.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-grinding.jpg

Comparison of old and new Shocker.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-old-vs-new-comparison.jpg

Both rear shockers removed. They were of Delphi make.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-old-shocks.jpg

Thankfully all went well and the ride is so much better. Applied a bucket of grease on the mountings and nuts .Now after the replacement the rear doesn't bounce a lot like earlier.

Lesson Learnt !
Always apply grease on all strut mountings and bolts as Shashi has done. He has mentioned it on page 1, else its pretty obvious you'll end up in the same situation I was in.

Quote:

2. Stuffing grease on strut top: While Maruti has given a strut cap in the XL6, stuffing grease on top has been my mantra ever since my GG days. It helps by repelling water. If it isn't applied and water somehow gets on top, it eventually reaches the strut bearing, and then the strut becomes noisy.
Regards
Ashton Castelino

Last edited by Ashtoncastelino : 11th April 2022 at 16:05.
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 20:52   #988
BHPian

Hey Leoshashi, firstly belated happy birthday to GG. She only looks finer as time passes.

My Duster would be reaching it's 10th year mark and we'll be sending it to Goa and an immediate need for a 6/7 seater Petrol AT will come up.

Took the XL-6 AT for a spin and I really liked the performance on 2nd Ratio which feels more like a 3rd gear. I can use it all day in city traffic on that ratio.

But the suspension is not to my liking. A friend was sitting on the back seat and he complained of a very bouncy experience over bad roads. He totally advised me against the XL-6 but I really find it much better looking than that Carens.

Since I'll be making a lounge inside and will use a Bi-Fuel kit I'm afraid that even Rogerabs might not suffice.

Are there any good aftermarket shocks available which are stiffer and provide a flat ride with that extra ~200 kilos? My main concern is that despite the stiffness, it shouldn't have a bone jarring ride quality.

Also, you've any idea on the K15C? I have been hearing that the DualJets have a weaker mid-range performance and I believe a 6/7 seater should have a good low end and mid range punch.
I'm afraid K15C might be lamer in day to day drive with 6 on board. What is your take on that?

Thanks in advance.
Old 17th April 2022, 21:37   #989
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.aviansh View Post
Hey Leoshashi, firstly belated happy birthday to GG. She only looks finer as time passes.
Thanks

Quote:
Took the XL-6 AT for a spin and I really liked the performance on 2nd Ratio which feels more like a 3rd gear. I can use it all day in city traffic on that ratio.

Since I'll be making a lounge inside and will use a Bi-Fuel kit I'm afraid that even Rogerabs might not suffice.

Also, you've any idea on the K15C? I have been hearing that the DualJets have a weaker mid-range performance and I believe a 6/7 seater should have a good low end and mid range punch.
I'm afraid K15C might be lamer in day to day drive with 6 on board. What is your take on that?
I honestly didn't like the K10 and K12 Dualjet application in some cars. Celerio Dualjet was a bit of downer for me, Swift and Dzire dualjets too seem to have lost some pep of older K12, but it was the Baleno drive which disappointed me.

K15C in Ertiga is already down on claimed power compared to older K15B engine, however I'm yet to try that engine. Honestly, on paper figures mean nothing to me.

The 6 speed AT is expected to be a real upgrade over the competent but old 4 speed AT earlier.

Quote:
But the suspension is not to my liking. A friend was sitting on the back seat and he complained of a very bouncy experience over bad roads. He totally advised me against the XL-6 but I really find it much better looking than that Carens.
Hope your TD car had properly inflated tyres. Nevertheless, since you will be loading your car up, good news is that the ride quality flattens out significantly as the car is loaded. And the facelift is expected to come with 16 inch wheels and retuned suspension, so not sure how the ride will be. But in my car, the ride improves and flattens if it's fully loaded. But it will not be anything closer to Duster's ride quality, do keep that in mind.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 09:45   #990
BHPian

Quote:

Hope your TD car had properly inflated tyres. Nevertheless, since you will be loading your car up, good news is that the ride quality flattens out significantly as the car is loaded. And the facelift is expected to come with 16 inch wheels and retuned suspension, so not sure how the ride will be. But in my car, the ride improves and flattens if it's fully loaded. But it will not be anything closer to Duster's ride quality, do keep that in mind.

Regards,
Shashi
About tyre pressure, my XL6 was delivered to me with over inflated tyres. It was when I checked it cold the next morning, that I found out it was 45psi on all four.

I keep adjusting the tyre pressure with the variation in payload. Still, I never keep it at the factory adviced 29psi for light one or two passenger trips but at 31psi fearing sidewall damage while negotiating bad roads.
jalex77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks