Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2022, 17:52   #1081
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysaj View Post
@leoshashi
Curious to know what was the odo reading before the suspension swap. You mentioned about deterioration in ride. Wondering in what mileage/odo this started and any thoughts on longevity of normal XL6 suspension. Thank you
The swap was done at 20655 km. The ride deteriorated post 16 inch upgrade due to decrease in sidewall and increase in weight of the wheel. Before the wheel swap, the ride quality was as normal as it was on day 1.

Hence I recommended upgrading the suspension too.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 18:41   #1082
BHPian

Hi there leoshashi.
Hope you are doing well. Reading the last few pages, I feel you are doing quite well. Hahaha. I always found your thread very interesting for the personal effort and time you spend on your car. Also the knowledge that you spread and put to good use are a delight for many of us. I have already mentioned your indirectly direct contribution to my purchase of vehicle. Anyways getting on with the matter, the wheel and tyre upgrade is a wonderful read. I am amazed how you manage to get hold of such spares. Your car reminds me of the need for speed franchise, where one goes to the garage and upgrades the parts.

My questions and I may sound a noob but then I can ask- since you went ahead with the the tyre and wheel upgrade to 16 inches, why didn’t you go in for wider rubber like 215/65 setup which is there on the scross or brezza or even say 205/65,205/60 or other possible combinations in 200 plus category?
And two if you had gone in for the wider and taller tyre size that I mentioned, would you have required a suspension upgrade in this scenario?

Thanks in advance and as always a pleasure going through your thread. It’s like Wikipedia on the XL6.

Last edited by knrn : 30th June 2022 at 18:47.
knrn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 18:52   #1083
Distinguished - BHPian

Bravo! Fortune favours the smart and brave; from this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
- new XL6 alloys priced at Rs. 9990
- Rs. 9500 for Continental UC6s in 195/60R16 size.
- 3k per "wheel(tyre plus alloy) for the Michelins and stock alloys
to this

Quote:
- new alloys in stock on Boodmo,placed and order during their 12% discount weekend, used Credit card for extra cashback. Thus the alloys cost me Rs. 43,920 for set of 5.
- During the Amazon sale, I placed orders for 5 Continental UC6s using 5 different credit cards. Because of this, the Continental cost me Rs. 6500 per tyre
- 40k for old Michelins in excellent shape, plus 5 scratch less alloys
and this
Quote:
Rs. 15390 for suspension minus Rs. 8000 for old suspension
qualifies for a case study in marketing and milking offers . Your car will go down in automotive history as the first car where the car could not run because the wheels had been sold and new wheels weren't in place. I agree with you on the "only wheel" upgrade - a mistake that many commit only to realise that it can't be reversed. That is why I never ever tried this on any of my cars and was content with stock size.

Last edited by vigsom : 30th June 2022 at 19:00.
vigsom is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 19:47   #1084

MOD NOTE: Post edited, avoid quoting entire large post for a short reply! and avoid typing like this.... instead use proper punctuations please. Thanks.

Quote:
Definitely, I was busy with a few things, thus the update got delayed. Thanks for reminding me. So here goes the entire saga:
===
Hey Bro thats a awesome upgrade you have done. So will this same suspension upgrade be useful for folks riding on 195/65 r15 tyres?

Also as you know i have upgraded to 16 inches Minda alloys when I took delivery of car and added Car stablizer pro for suspension springs since tyre was touching the wheel arch at back due to 7J alloys. Will this suspension upgrade will be effective for me and tyre doesnt touch the arch?

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th June 2022 at 19:53.
balajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 20:38   #1085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajo View Post

Hey Bro thats a awesome upgrade you have done. So will this same suspension upgrade be useful for folks riding on 195/65 r15 tyres?
I'm not sure how it will react on that setup. Shocks are developed considering a lot of factors like wheel weight, sidewall etc.

Quote:
Also as you know i have upgraded to 16 inches Minda alloys when I took delivery of car and added Car stablizer pro for suspension springs since tyre was touching the wheel arch at back due to 7J alloys. Will this suspension upgrade will be effective for me and tyre doesnt touch the arch?

Sorry but I don't recall which alloys you have put, apologies for that. Kindly post a pic of your car.

16x7J means the width of the rim will surely trouble you and touch the archs if the suspension gets compressed to the maximum. Somehow I'm not in favour of using jugaad solutions like spring buffers which eventually reduce the travel and ruin the overall damping characteristics.

The new suspension is ~1 inch higher than older setup, and should help your case. But I'm not sure if it will entirely eradicate the issue in all load scenarios.

Regards,
Shashi
Old 30th June 2022, 20:45   #1086
BHPian

Got a chance to drive Shashi's updated XL 6 (well everytime I see it, several things are updated from the previous time and it's fun to check them out) over a short distance.

1. The car looks better than ones standing in the showroom. Thanks to the care he showers over his cars.

2. Ride has become more mature and settled. Bumps are dismissed in a smooth manner.

3. Did not get the chance to drive enthusiastically due to city traffic so can't comment on body roll and steering feedback, but everything seemed alright.

4. The new Alloys look beautiful and has changed the the stance completely. Other XL 6 's were looking polio struck after looking at this.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 21:34   #1087
BHPian

Quote:
Yes the suspension swap did wonders to the comfort and high speed stability. Gone is the high speed up-down motion and it now rides flat. There is a bit of firmness to the overall demeanor but the improvement is immense. ....
Awesome you took the pains to research and get the entire suspensions changed.

I have a couple of queries (reply whenever free)

1. Whats the normal charge level observed on your Battery indicator ?
Mine is mostly between 2 and 3 bars. Never got more than 3 bars.
I am referring to the Smart Hybrid aid battery, whose status displays on the odometer console unit. Though I have not done much driving.

2. You said you changed the engine oil yourself, did you go with semi-synthetic or fully synthetic oil ?
I think stock comes with semi-synthetic.
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 12:02   #1088
BHPian

Quote:
RH engine mount in few cars were defective and were under service circular: Link (My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review)

Please check if it's the case.
Hi Shashi, can we contact someone in Maruti to support this claim. I have a feeling that the service centre might try some trick. This either has to be covered under 5 year warranty which i purchased or this service circular. I want to ensure this happens. Thanks in advance.
rich_heart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 14:20   #1089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrn View Post
My questions and I may sound a noob but then I can ask- since you went ahead with the the tyre and wheel upgrade to 16 inches, why didn’t you go in for wider rubber like 215/65 setup which is there on the scross or brezza or even say 205/65,205/60 or other possible combinations in 200 plus category?
And two if you had gone in for the wider and taller tyre size that I mentioned, would you have required a suspension upgrade in this scenario?
It all began with a TD of the new XL6. I was amazed by the improvement in suspension setup it had compared to pre facelift. Thus suspension change was inevitable. I had to copy the setup completely. This explains the choice of tyre size as well.

Secondly, for the kind of vehicle XL6 is and the kind of output it has, 195 is adequate for its purpose. 205 or 215 was needed for Diesel S Cross 1.6, but for the petrol motor, I find it overkill.

Thirdly, for XL6/Ertiga, I also have to consider spare wheel area restrictions. 195 itself is a tight fit in the cradle, 205 or 215 will surely won't fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Awesome you took the pains to research and get the entire suspensions changed.

I have a couple of queries (reply whenever free)

1. Whats the normal charge level observed on your Battery indicator ?
Mine is mostly between 2 and 3 bars. Never got more than 3 bars.
I am referring to the Smart Hybrid aid battery, whose status displays on the odometer console unit. Though I have not done much driving.
Before ISG change/recall, max I used to see was 4 bars, and 2/3 bar was the most common sight. Post ISG change and firmware update, it easily goes above 4 bars.

Quote:
2. You said you changed the engine oil yourself, did you go with semi-synthetic or fully synthetic oil ?
I think stock comes with semi-synthetic.
I always opt for prescribed 0W16 grade(shell make), as of now Ecstar brand is the only decent option. I'm not changing the grade but if any better oil like Amsoil comes, I'll surely opt for it.

0W16 is a fully synth grade and can't be formulated in semi-synth or mineral versions. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
Hi Shashi, can we contact someone in Maruti to support this claim. I have a feeling that the service centre might try some trick. This either has to be covered under 5 year warranty which i purchased or this service circular. I want to ensure this happens. Thanks in advance.
Speak to your WM or TSM about this, they should be aware. It wasn't a recall as such, but just a service circular.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 08:00   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
Before ISG change/recall, max I used to see was 4 bars, and 2/3 bar was the most common sight. Post ISG change and firmware update, it easily goes above 4 bars.
In my case even after a 90 km drive it did not cross 3 bars.
I checked my Chassis number on this Recall checker site for the ISG recall.
https://www.nexaexperience.com/impor...n-for-customer

It said , No your vehicle does not need an inspection.
Mine is the new 2022 XL6.

Another thing, this firmware update that you mentioned, is it something done at the service centre or were you talking about the display console unit firmware ?

Did you try downloading this firmware and updating it yourself via USB ?
i.e. the Display unit console firmware.
Old 2nd July 2022, 10:32   #1091
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
It said , No your vehicle does not need an inspection.
Mine is the new 2022 XL6.
The recall was valid for cars manufactured upto 27th October 2020.

Quote:
In my case even after a 90 km drive it did not cross 3 bars.
It charges mainly when you coast. Try coasting down a long slope in 4th gear and see if the charge goes up. Also since the new XL6 has larger capacity Li Ion battery than the K15B version, it will need a longer time to charge.

Quote:
Another thing, this firmware update that you mentioned, is it something done at the service centre or were you talking about the display console unit firmware ?
It's done via SDT of workshop, was done post ISG hardware change. The entire process was listed here:Link (My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review)
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 14:14   #1092
BHPian

Your exploits with the torque wrench finally prodded me to get one for my Grand Vitara. Currently I am using it to tighten the wheel lug nuts. Hopefully I will get round to tightening all the vehicle mounting bolts at the correct torque.

Thanks a million!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 4th July 2022 at 15:26. Reason: ur -> your
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 23:46   #1093
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Your exploits with the torque wrench finally prodded me to get one for my Grand Vitara. Currently I am using it to tighten the wheel lug nuts. Hopefully I will get round to tightening all the vehicle mounting bolts at the correct torque.

Thanks a million!
Congratulations. Which brand did you get? I recently purchased this Toptul adapter and find it much more usable than conventional torque wrenches. Link: Link (Tools for a DIYer)

Regards,
Shashi
Old 6th July 2022, 09:11   #1094
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations. Which brand did you get? I recently purchased this Toptul adapter and find it much more usable than conventional torque wrenches. Link: Link (Tools for a DIYer)

Regards,
Shashi
I bought an Amazon Basics brand.
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I find that the build quality is very good. I will get it calibrated at a local lab one of these days.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 07:09   #1095
Distinguished - BHPian

Update: Got the HU version updated to MD-0921(Sept 21 release).

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20220629_193410.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks