Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2022, 09:10   #1186
BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Hello Shashi, all,
I own Ertiga 2019 ZXi AT. It comes with stock non-touch media unit only. I have opted for 5yrs extended warranty. They didn't release ZXi+ in AT variant. I reside in Bangalore south.

I need advice on installing music/entertainment unit with display unit and reverse camera. I also read about 360degree camera available in new XL6 and probably Facelift Ertiga.

Please share your advice and recommendations on the unit and camera. I don't have connects with reliable mechanics for fitting after -market units. Any reliable leads, please do share.

I have an upcoming road trip during coming week, I would love to get this installed if I get a chance ��

Thank in advance!
Old 27th September 2022, 00:40   #1187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
I need advice on installing music/entertainment unit with display unit and reverse camera. I also read about 360degree camera available in new XL6 and probably Facelift Ertiga.
Thank in advance!
Since you have a non touch unit, i would advice to go for a good Android aftermarket setup. There are plenty available with good quality in 12k range. It would also save you from limitations of Android auto.

For 360 camera, again go for aftermarket setup with your choice.
nomadabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 06:40   #1188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadabhi View Post
There are plenty available with good quality in 12k range. It would also save you from limitations of Android auto.
Could you please share what all limitations of Android Auto , these aftermarket HU's overcome ?
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 13:41   #1189
BHPian

Hi Shashi and others, need your advice.

Since my XL6 is a Zeta version it does not have the auto folding ORVM (I need to manually press a button for it to fold).

Not that I miss that feature a lot, but there are times I wish I had that feature because now I need to fold the mirror before I step out of the car and so I can't see the vehicles coming from behind before I open the door.

I came across this product online: https://wavehertz.com/shop/automotiv...-car-model=xl6

(Sorry I do not know how to paste a link)

What is your opinion about this? I'm wondering if it ill it need cutting the existing wires etc or is it plug and play...

Rgds,
B
B-Taurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 16:44   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Taurus View Post

What is your opinion about this? I'm wondering if it ill it need cutting the existing wires etc or is it plug and play...

Rgds,
B
I've been quoted 2100INR by aftermarket accessories shop for the same device with fitment. Not sure, if I will really go for this.

And yes as per the shop, it is plug & play device fitted inside the doors (socket to socket connections, no wire cuts).

Hope this helps!
yoscenario2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 20:46   #1191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadabhi View Post
Since you have a non touch unit, i would advice to go for a good Android aftermarket setup. There are plenty available with good quality in 12k range. It would also save you from limitations of Android auto.
Any specific brand and model would you suggest? What are limitations of Android auto?

I guess most Android HU are non branded. Except Blaupunkt. Please share reviews and pros and cons.
Old 29th September 2022, 21:26   #1192
BHPian

I guess most Android HU are non branded. Except Blaupunkt. Please share reviews and pros and cons.[/quote]

Initially i thought of changing my existing company fitted smart play with Tesla Android system.
(The reason was to eliminate need of always connecting phone via data cable for AA full functionality).
However, i dropped idea coz
1. Aftermarket looked cheap
2. I am always driving so no use of YouTube
3. I got NFC tags so with different profile for car.
So all i need to do is insert phone to cable.
4. My major use is maps, Spotify, calls.
Check this too:

In your case, since you don't have smart play you have choice to go for Android. Most of devices range from 8k to 12k.
nomadabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 22:55   #1193
BHPian

Quote:
Please share your advice and recommendations on the unit and camera.
I drive 2021 4AT XL6. I have the touch based system. See if you can get the exact same one from Maruti, it should be plug n play. This way all the compatibility features will work (steering volume etc). But the speakers arent great in mine. If you haven’t upgraded speakers yet then perhaps its a good time to do so.

If you dont like Maruti’s option try and get a Pioneer unit with screen and buttons (including Apple carplay and android auto).

The one that I have in my car requires me to get my eyes off the road which i hate to do. With buttons you know where to press. Dont worry about screen size. Anyways we are not going to play videos in the run. If you need to do that then get individual headrest mounted screens. Yes, compatibility with steering buttons may be hit or miss.

Off topic-whats the range you get in a full rank (city, highway) on your ertiga AT?
TorqMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 16:04   #1194
BHPian

XL6 accessories review:

Bought XL6 alpha+ AT on July 2022, as it is top varient, i opted for limited set of accessories only.

3D mat - took photos after a trip to show the effectiveness.
Front row ones are very good, as it was shown in one of the previous posts.
2nd row is also okish, as side wall of mat isn't as tall as front row. And the thing which helps mat to stick to floor came off already on 2nd row.
3rd row isn't as good as other 2 rows - the side wall is very low, not long enough to cover gap between captain seats etc. Either way, it contained the small milk spill that happened, so not bad either.

I'd recommend checking outside for more options before going for MGA 3d mat, as even it doesnt cover the gap between captain seats properly & 3rd row side walls doesnt cover properly.

Sillguard - the one i bought has already lost the paint easily, didn't expect this given it's just 2 months old. So go for after market ones or ones without paint in it. Sill guard of my old Alto-K10 is of much better quality & it's longer too.

Door side protector - don't remember actual name for it, I'm talking about the small protection given to door when we open it against a wall or something. This has already saved me more than once as my kiddo opens door carelessly.

360 cam - very useful, though I am already used to driving without it.

Factory tinted glass - very useful while driving on a sunny day. I guess the front glass is also blocking heat well, coz car didn't heatup much (compared to my older cars) even when it was parked under sun light. Probably a worthy upgrade for pre 2022 XL6 owners.

Mileage - best - 20.5 kmpl in highways, though i didn't drive for mileage. Worst - 7 kmpl in Bangalore City traffic; on avg, i get 7-11 in Bangalore City.
Other reviews about performance & details on mileage are added in XL6 facelift review thread, so not adding here again.
Attached Thumbnails
My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_20221001_153325.jpg  

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_20220928_122622.jpg  

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_20220928_122605.jpg  

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_20220928_122718.jpg  

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_20220928_122701.jpg  

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_20220928_122910.jpg  

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_20220928_122841.jpg  

vnm008 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 12:58   #1195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoscenario2000 View Post
And to my surprise, the part is NOT made of plastic. It is made of card board type material which is used to cover CNG tank in the boot of Ertiga. I think it will fall off itself, if gets wet while washing the inside the hood.
Nope, it's made of plastic, and lined in a carpet like stuff. Mine is still intact after such a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoscenario2000 View Post
The above mentioned part number is no more available as per Maruti service center. And may have been upgraded to the newer one with serial number 01.
Yes, 54T01 is the part which is available today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Leoshashi, Any pointers when the XL6 may get 6 airbags and/or with strong hybrid powertrain. Thanks.
Not in this generation for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex77 View Post
Going through your post made me realize that this was the exact upgrade I too need for the lights. Was also more inclined towards this same setup as it won't blind motorists coming opposite at night and will serve my purpose well.

Then what you said about the stock setup is 100% true, We had gone on a family trip to the neighbouring state last week. On our way back in the evening, the fog was at its worst and the only thing that helped me manage somehow was that I was very familiar with the ghat sections. The stock fogs are a joke and the headlights even though I've aligned using your inputs a while back, couldn't cut more than 7-8 feet ahead on lows, High was obviously and absolutely of no use in the conditions.
If this was a non familiar route, I would have no choice but to park and wait but the fog doesn't go away that easy on routes like these. There are many spots where there are no guardrails or even vegetation to prevent one from driving off the edge into the deep valley below.

Then I tested the new upgraded suspension, 16 inch wheels and tyres thoroughly on the trip. They are absolutely fantastic. Makes one very confident and sure footed. Tyre noise is almost non existent and the grip those UC6s offer in the wet, dry and especially on fast corners is absolutely amazing.

I would second you and advice anyone who's going for a wheel swap on the pre-facelift car to spend a little more and swap the suspension too. The difference in ride and handling is that brilliant from before.
Glad to know that you found the upgrades worthy.

Quote:
Please suggest mat for the driver side which is of good quality, is easy to maintain and has lower wear due to heel position.
I've been using MGA carpet mats on every seat, except driver side, which has normal PVC mat. This is after my original carpet made had a hole at heel position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by India2022 View Post
I suggest to look for 7D floor mats or called dual layered mats available in local market for around 4500 for XL6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsarao View Post
Our dealer advised against 7D. Apparently it reduces space for pedal travel.
Guys, beware while putting 7D mats in these cars, unless you personally check that it's not fouling with pedal travel. My friend's new Baleno developed clutch issue and I found his accelerator pedal too tight, and the reason was those generic 7D mats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
Do you think there are any solutions in LED or reflector for the part in red?
Can be done via DIY, although I have chrome strip there from new XL6 Alpha+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Taurus View Post
Hi Shashi and others, need your advice.

Since my XL6 is a Zeta version it does not have the auto folding ORVM (I need to manually press a button for it to fold).

Not that I miss that feature a lot, but there are times I wish I had that feature because now I need to fold the mirror before I step out of the car and so I can't see the vehicles coming from behind before I open the door.

I came across this product online: https://wavehertz.com/shop/automotiv...-car-model=xl6

(Sorry I do not know how to paste a link)

Rgds,
B
I'd strongly recommend against such accessories, reason being, most of them are not properly plug and play and need some tapping. Secondly, have seen cases where they have damaged the ORVM somehow, and Maruti denied warranty. If it's 100% plug and play(yes such products exist for some cars), and from a reliable brand, you may take the risk.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: A teaser :

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20221002_113313.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 14:50   #1196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

Glad to know that you found the upgrades worthy.

I'd strongly recommend against such accessories, reason being, most of them are not properly plug and play and need some tapping. Secondly, have seen cases where they have damaged the ORVM somehow, and Maruti denied warranty...

Regards,
Shashi

PS: A teaser :

Hi Leoshashi,
The upgrades were absolutely brilliant, functional and money well spent. Thank you again and I wouldn't have done it on my own without your help.

I too was looking for an automatic ORVM control module for my car as it's a Zeta. I never felt it was a necessary feature till recent. But last time while I was at the MASS for the wheels and suspension upgrade, one of the mechanics who took the car to the work bay from the parking lot manually unfolded the right side ORVM and to my sheer shock. He didn't know that the car had power mirrors. Luckily nothing broke. And so now I feel maybe it's safer that I get an auto fold module and these kind of things don't repeat.

Then after running around two dealership service centres, I managed to get an update for the Smart play infotainment system. At first both the dealer service guys told me that there are no such updates and will let me know if there is one. Then I showed them your posts in this forum about this. One of them after checking again gave an excuse that they did have an update but it got deleted when they formatted their computers. So later when they called me for feedback, I gave them an average score and also gave them the reason and details for my response. In a week one of the dealers called me for the update and the job was done in say 15 minutes. The system is on an MD 0921 version software now. I had the map freeze and music coming out of the phone speakers post an incoming call on Android Auto, now that's sorted out after the update.

Eagerly waiting for your window glass upgrades to come through.
Attached Thumbnails
My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_20221003_130912.jpg  

Last edited by jalex77 : 3rd October 2022 at 15:04.
jalex77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 17:35   #1197
BHPian

Dear Leoshashi, My link to new car upgrade thread is below

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...-xl6-zeta.html (Family city car & highway tourer (AT) | Maruti Ertiga ZXI+ vs XL6 Zeta)

Bringing to your notice the following queries:

Can you kindly reply to the DIY technical query for three point seat belt and head rest installation in middle row in Ertiga. What are the part number for these parts, since Ertiga is offered with these features in middle east markets.

Does 2022 Ertiga and XL6 have same suspension system?

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th October 2022, 20:05   #1198
Distinguished - BHPian

Update: MID threw warning for the first time about Fob battery being low after 2 Years and 3 months of usage. Replaced battery for both fobs for peace of mind.

Was pretty easy to open the fob:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20221008_184434.jpg

Panasonic battery came from factory:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20221008_184553.jpg

Both done:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20221008_185108.jpg

Regards,
Shashi

PS: Teaser with UV cut glasses:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20221004_134446.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 19:27   #1199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGirl_Dad View Post
Can you kindly reply to the DIY technical query for three point seat belt and head rest installation in middle row in Ertiga. What are the part number for these parts, since Ertiga is offered with these features in middle east markets.

Does 2022 Ertiga and XL6 have same suspension system?

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

Will go through your thread. Regarding 3 point seat belt, kindly share a link for the same. Headrests can be implemented easily.

2022 XL6 and Ertiga don't share the same suspension tuning, unlike pre facelift models where majority of the suspension was shared between the siblings.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 00:44   #1200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Hi,

Regarding 3 point seat belt, kindly share a link for the same. Headrests can be implemented easily.

2022 XL6 and Ertiga don't share the same suspension tuning, unlike pre facelift models where majority of the suspension was shared between the siblings.

I've attached the image from brochure (Image courtesy: Teyseer Suzuki, Middle East). Kindly find the three point seat belts. The brochure PDf is in the following link https://zala-production.s3-accelerat...b25c95883416b1

Will have to change the suspension and alloys if we select Ertiga then.
Attached Images

SuperGirl_Dad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed