Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2023, 19:31   #1336
BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
TPMS: After a narrow escape on my 800, I immediately started looking for a similar solution for my XL6.
Tyremate branded TPMS with very high ratings. Seller was Manatec. They are a big name in Garage equipments. Installation etc are all very easy. But the sensors are heavy and well built. Build quality is top notch, even of the main unit. Downside is, during balancing your wheels take a lot of weight.
Regards,
Shashi
@LeoShashi: I am intrested in installing TPMS in my facelift XL6. Actually a situation happened recently when I felt some disbalance during local driving, on getting pressure checked it was 21 in one rear tyre, but since car was not used from a week, I just got air filled. Ater a week, felt same again and roadside puntcure man found a small screw in same rear tyre, he fixed puncture instantly being tubeless and said being new car, you will not feel low air pressure easily upto 20. But thought of installing TPMS to avoid major issue in future.

Can you please suggest a good TMPS?

One you installed (Manatec Tyremate : https://www.amazon.in/dp/B09L8D6B99/) is out of stock on amazon and contact no is switch off. Should I wait for same to become available or any other brand in your radar?

Though I got wireless AndroidAuto upgrade but dont want app based TPMS which always require AA connected to phone.

Internal sensor is better or external? I belive internal is better as do not require sensor to be taken out everytime I fill air.

Surprisingly saw 2 models of Blaupunkt on amazon: solar powered and USB, do you think any of these worth? Price is on higher side but a global brand.
Blaupunkt TPMS - SOLAR POWERED:
Amazon price ~7k
Amazon link: https://www.amazon.in/Blaupunkt-Sola...dp/B0B9L1C56N/
Brand link: https://blaupunktcar.in/buy/Car-Acce...R-POWERED/332/
Brand manual: https://blaupunktcar.in/downloadpdf....3198332pdf.pdf
It has Internal sensors and comes with 1 year brand warranty.
It is solar powered with 27 day no charge life which seems ok. It also has optional micro usb input

Blaupunkt TPMS IN-DASH USB 4.2 Universal For All Android Stereo:
Amazon price ~6k
Amazon link: https://www.amazon.in/Blaupunkt-DASH...dp/B0B9L27YBQ/
Brand link: https://blaupunktcar.in/buy/Car-Acce...-/USB-4.2/317/
Brand manual: https://blaupunktcar.in/downloadpdf....7612317pdf.pdf
It has Internal sensors and comes with 1 year brand warranty.
This USB model comes with a USB dongle, which is plugged into car usb. I am not able to understand if phone always needs to be connected to car head unit android auto for TPMS to work or app is only for first time setup, then this dongle will do the rest. Please see if you can make out something!!

Also found SensAiry bluetooth TPMS (~7k), but you earlier clarified that Android Auto connection is must, so will not go with it: https://www.amazon.in/SensAiry-Bluet...dp/B01MZA5808/

Amazon has many TPMS with internal sensor in ~3k range, but with mixed reviews and looks local or chinese. One is DHUNIKART Internal TPMS D260 Solar Tyre Pressure Monitoring System with HD Digital LCD Display: https://www.amazon.in/DHUNIKART%C2%A...dp/B09DYYQPM1/

And while I look for TPMS, I have another query on the stepney/spare tyre. Facelift XL comes with 16" alloys, but I believe spare tyre is not alloy. If I plan to do tyre rotation and keep using the 5th tyre as well, I think I should convert spare one to alloy? Please advise on this as well and what are the options and approx cost involved? I googled and found set of 4 alloys of 16" costs total 32k (8k each). 8k is huge amount, but I also feel if 5th tyre is not used regularly, then after few years, it will become useless/spoiled and may get cracks. Also some TPMS sensors fit only on alloy.

Last edited by India2022 : 12th March 2023 at 19:41. Reason: minor edit
Old 12th March 2023, 23:49   #1337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by India2022 View Post
But thought of installing TPMS to avoid major issue in future.
Regarding Manatec, this is the quote we got recently for Manatec TPMS, hope it helps:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img20230201wa0016.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img20230201wa0017.jpg

Primary criteria for me while shopping for such products is serviceability if say a sensor goes bad or if I need some support. Thus it was Manatec for me as they happen to be a reputed brand.

I'd strongly recommend getting an alloy for your spare wheel and practice regular rotation, that way all 5 tyres will get used equally. You can buy a single alloy from Boodmo, Link: XL6 alloy
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 09:41   #1338
BHPian

Thanks a lot @LeoShashi. You are just awesome, have answer to everything on car.
Old 14th March 2023, 14:20   #1339
BHPian

Any suggestion on Tyre Inflator please!!

Howz Bergmann and Stanley (Stanley in manual)
Old 14th March 2023, 14:28   #1340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestion on Tyre Inflator please!!

Howz Bergmann and Stanley (Stanley in manual)
I have been using MGA ones for past 7 years. They are strictly average when it comes to build and function, but the reason I am sticking to them is because of the 120W restriction Maruti has. Most aftermarket inflators are 150W or more. They tend to blow up the fuse sooner or later. So instead of knowingly loading the system, I'm playing it safe.

This is the model I'm using since many years: Link. It's power consumption is around 96W if I'm not wrong. Another benefit is that I sometimes use AC-DC adapter to power it from wall outlet. The adapter has 100W restriction, thus the MGA one fits the bill perfectly there too. Link: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post5139694 (Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump)

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 14th March 2023 at 14:29.
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 22:46   #1341
BHPian

Quote:
I have been using MGA ones for past 7 years
Thanks a lot @LeoShashi, I will buy from them soon. BTW any idea on this one: MGA 2-In-1 Car Vacuum Cleaner & Air Inflator instead of the one you suggested? Will it solve the purpose of tyre inflator and also a vaccum cleaner I require?
I know I am getting too much greedy here, but your MGA showed this suggestion, and a vaccum cleaner is in my wish list :-)

Last edited by India2022 : 14th March 2023 at 23:10. Reason: minor edit
Old 16th March 2023, 09:46   #1342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot @LeoShashi, I will buy from them soon. BTW any idea on this one: MGA 2-In-1 Car Vacuum Cleaner & Air Inflator instead of the one you suggested? Will it solve the purpose of tyre inflator and also a vaccum cleaner I require?
I know I am getting too much greedy here, but your MGA showed this suggestion, and a vaccum cleaner is in my wish list :-)
These 12V based cleaners barely work. There is another model with digital readouts, but they can never be a replacement for conventional vacuum cleaners.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 11:59   #1343
BHPian

Quote:
I'd first request him to take a TD of new XL6, ensuring correct tyre pressures. If it's ride is acceptable to him, he should surely go ahead with the upgrade.

I can assure the ride is far better, but whether it's acceptable to him, that is something only he can confirm. It's a medical case so I'm being even more cautious here.

Regards,
Shashi
Dear Shashi,

Thank you for your suggestions on my friend Kumar's XL6 suspension upgrade. I'm glad to hear that the upgrade has improved his driving experience and provided more comfort on bumpy roads.

I am quoting his feedback after the upgrade, His message as below,

Hello everyone - just an update to everyone that I have upgraded to XL6 suspension in my Ertiga (just the entire suspension setup only). After the upgrade, I see a lot of comfort while driving. My confidence levels are increased while driving on bad roads. I had my mother who regularly sits in 3rd row during travel and is very happy that she did not feel potholes, famous Bangalore speed breakers, flyover joints and undulations( she is 73 and comfortable at 3 rd row). Though some we felt nothing like as significant as a regular ertiga suspension setup feeling. I thank teambhp leoshashi for it. Probably mine is first ertiga had a suspension change with xl6 suspension.

And, coming to the wheel size, I have not changed the R15 wheel but still extremely comfortable with the new suspension setup. However I will change the wheel sooner for my interest to go with xl6 wheels. Ground clearance increases slightly but you don't find huge gaps in wheel arches. In fact I did a measurement and found that not even 1 inch would increase the gap in wheel arches.

My suspension warranty is being cancelled which I am not worried about for now. The total cost is around 20k including fitment from the Maruti service center. I went only with maruti for all records to be clear.

The XL6 suspension is known for providing better stability, ride quality, and handling compared to the stock suspension of the ERTIGA. It is designed to offer improved driving comfort and reduce body roll, which is particularly beneficial when driving on uneven or bumpy roads. Overall, it seems like a worthwhile upgrade for anyone looking to improve their ERTIGA's performance and driving experience.

I can assist anyone who is looking for suspension setup change.

Unquote
RavyaLe is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 20:53   #1344
Distinguished - BHPian

Deep cleaned the XL6 over the weekend: The car surely got regular washes at service centers, but nothing like a comprehensive DIY.

Engine bay deep cleaned and detailed:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20230305_182151.jpg

Meguiar's Super Degreaser and Carpro PERL to the rescue:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20230305_182607.jpg

Removed the wheels, deep cleaned the fender lining and also the rear side of the wheels:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20230306_155348.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20230306_163907.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20230306_164226.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 18:46   #1345
Senior - BHPian

@Shashi : Guess what ? After completing the 5 year mark 2 more things have started crumbling. Most of the plastic on the antenna has crumbled and exposed the internal metal spring like structure of the antenna.
Also just like my Beat, the gear knob has started cracking and is becoming sticky.
Old 1st April 2023, 18:58   #1346
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
@Shashi : Guess what ? After completing the 5 year mark 2 more things have started crumbling. Most of the plastic on the antenna has crumbled and exposed the internal metal spring like structure of the antenna.
Also just like my Beat, the gear knob has started cracking and is becoming sticky.
Is your car parked under the sun too often?
Old 1st April 2023, 19:49   #1347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is your car parked under the sun too often?
Yup it's all open parking in my building other than closed garages. But still the Dzire in particular gets crazy hot compared to other cars
Old 1st April 2023, 20:56   #1348
BHPian

Quote:
After completing the 5 year mark 2 more things have started crumbling. Most of the plastic on the antenna has crumbled and exposed the internal metal spring like structure of the antenna.
Sun’s rays affect the structural integrity of the plastic over time, leaving them dried and brittle, and in turn, causes them to crack. Leaving your car out in the sun for too long can cause its gear knob and other plastic trims in the cabin to melt, which makes them sticky to touch. Replace the knob and use a sunshade next time when you leave the car in direct exposure to sun.

Last edited by Shreyfiesta : 1st April 2023 at 20:58.
Shreyfiesta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 22:44   #1349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyfiesta View Post
Sun’s rays affect the structural integrity of the plastic over time, leaving them dried and brittle, and in turn, causes them to crack. Leaving your car out in the sun for too long can cause its gear knob and other plastic trims in the cabin to melt, which makes them sticky to touch. Replace the knob and use a sunshade next time when you leave the car in direct exposure to sun.
Although I agree that obviously sun exposure does cause deterioration.
There's sunfilm on all glasses and a shade on the windscreen and the car is in direct sun for only 3 hours a day. We have had cars for several decades. The RATE at which the car is deteriorating is due to the poor quality of materials used not due simple sun exposure which has remained constant over decades as has the location of our parking spot.
Just like with Leoshashi, the IRVM is corroding from the edges and there is also corrosion on body parts that are undamaged and have been given rust protection treatment twice in the cars lifespan.
Old 2nd April 2023, 19:35   #1350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Although I agree that obviously sun exposure does cause deterioration.
There's sunfilm on all glasses and a shade on the windscreen and the car is in direct sun for only 3 hours a day. We have had cars for several decades. The RATE at which the car is deteriorating is due to the poor quality of materials used not due simple sun exposure which has remained constant over decades as has the location of our parking spot.
Just like with Leoshashi, the IRVM is corroding from the edges and there is also corrosion on body parts that are undamaged and have been given rust protection treatment twice in the cars lifespan.
While there is no doubt that the quality has nose-dived in some areas, there is another factor to be considered. Most manufacturers are moving towards slightly richer feeling plastic, which means more use of Vinyl and soft touch plastics. It's these materials which often degrade rather than the harder variety. Again this is my observation and may be wrong. Case in point, compare the interiors of WagonR first gen and current gen, the plastics feel more posh today compared to the utilitarian feel of the first gen. But then the way First Gen WagonR would endure the abuse, the current gen won't.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks