Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2020, 19:23   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200817_165406.jpg

Prelude: Ever since the day I passed out of high school, one burning desire remained in my heart to own a comfortable car someday, something in which I could tour with my parents, post their retirement. In high school, that crush was the Grand Vitara 2.4L MT. However MSIL discontinued it by the time I reached 4th Year of my engineering. Slowly the crush kept changing from Grand Vitara, and cars like Hexa, Innova Crysta and Seltos too featured in that list.

Even after completing my graduation, I kept postponing the first car purchase due to multiple reasons. Sometimes it was the lack of parking in some other city, sometimes it was the easy availability of official rides. Off late, I had also started deriving pleasure looking at my savings, and somehow avoided purchase of all such depreciating assets.

However everything changed post COVID. It changed the course of the world, so what was my stature! On the evening of 9th July, I found myself in a situation where I had to procure a car, ASAP! No more relying on public/official transport. GG was ruled out since this is the kind of roads I travel on, and I didn't want to inflict such torture on her!

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-capture.jpg

Initial Requirements: I’m a 6’1” guy, a bit on the heavier side. I was sure that I wanted a car with high seating and good GC this time. These two were non negotiable for me. I want all of you to experience this journey, hence this post will be largely in form of a timeline.

9th July, 6:00PM: Since I had no intention of buying a new car, I first looked on OLX and Maruti True Value sites. Soon it was clear that I’m not touching any unknown car. Most cars I saw were abused, and there was not a single one which gave a good first impression.

9:00PM: BHPian sumitsinha0280 had recently purchased a Ciaz S, and I knew he had retained his old Ritz ZXi as he didn’t get a good value for it. His car has around 95k on the odo, but due to a crash, his engine was replaced. The intensity of crash was such that even the ORVM escaped unscathed. Also it got a new paint job. This crash was the reason, his car was labeled as accidental in records, but I knew that it’s as good as new. It had brand new engine, completely overhauled gearbox, new suspension, driveshaft etc.

The immaculate Ritz ZXi:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img20200731wa0058.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img20200731wa0064.jpg

I offered him whatever he wanted, close to his IDV of Rs. 2L. He made it clear that I’ll need to replace the tyres and the car will need some minor repair jobs which will eventually cost me close to 50k, over the 2L I was ready for. However his dad was in no mood to get rid of the car, despite all the parking hassles they had, and I honored his will.

10th July, 10:00AM: I realized that there was no point trying to hunt for pre owned cars, and I should better get a new car. The cheapest car satisfying the two mentioned criteria was the S-Presso. I informed my trusted SAs, and visited all 3 showrooms of Ranchi.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-s-presso-.jpg

•Hilltop Motors: They had a White VXi+ in transit, expected to reach in 2 days.

•Premsons Motors: They had a huge yard, with equally large collection. They had enough stock in each color. However, most cars were from Feb 2020 stock. Ranchi had a hailstorm around April, and many cars were damaged. I did spot some clean examples, but informed them that I’m in no mood to block one of them. They said that a new piece can be procured in 7-15 days, although MSIL is allotting cars only if the dealers don’t have that spec in stock. I took a quote and left.

•Sudha Motors: For some reason they were reluctant to do a sale. I left the showroom without even asking for a quote.

At Premsons' Yard to check the available S Pressos:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-yard.jpg

The quote I was given for S Presso VXi+ in white:
Ex Showroom: 4,55,947
Insurance(3+3): 38,125(With Zero Dep, RTI and EP)
Ext Warranty(5yrs): 7,103
Consumer offer: (-)20,000
Corporate offer: (-) 5,000
Total: Rs. 5,00,493

The S Presso makes immense value and sense for someone looking for a city runabout. There was barely a 20k difference between S Presso and the top model Alto 800 VXi+. I took a TD at Hilltop Motors and since it was a small drive, I liked the engine and felt everything was okay. However another detailed drive from Premsons Motor completely changed my perspective. The handling was seriously compromised, and the car felt very uneasy with crosswinds. It was best in its role as a city car. But since I was also looking at some intercity trips, S-Presso was out of contention. By the end of Day 2, I was back at square one!

11th July 10:00AM: One thing I realized very soon, if you step into MSIL showroom without a fixed budget, you will soon reach the top of the ladder. Every car is priced within 50k of each other. WagonR was given a pass due to its low GC, didn’t want another Ignis since mom’s daily drive is a Zeta AMT and I'm well acquainted with the positives and negatives of the car. I would have gone for Swift if it had the Dualjet engine, would have compromised on my needs for fulfilling a teenage crush-A Red Swift ZXi+. Never liked the Baleno(except the RS). Soon I was looking at the Brezza. I was closely following the developments on Brezza before the lockdown, and knew everything about the car. I called a TD car to go to the yard. However the moment I sat inside, I was appalled at the lack of perceived quality inside the cabin. The door handle creaked like a cheap Chinese toy when held. The upper glovebox had uneven panel gaps staring right at me. Any plastic I held, creaked and moaned. The car was a new one, but there were too many rattles. No way it felt like a car whose on road price was almost Eleven Lac rupees. Thankfully they had brought an automatic car, I had lost all interest in it. I asked them to drop me back to showroom, cancelling the TD midway. I did check some other cars, almost all of them had this door handle creaking issue.

The TD Brezza:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-brezza.jpg

The only cars in MSIL Lineup I hadn’t seen were Ertiga/XL6 and the Ciaz. No offence to the Ciaz owners, but the car simply felt too outdated and boring in 2020, more so against the New 5th Gen City and the Rapid TSi. So it was never on my radar.

As soon as it was decided that I’ll have to cross the 10L rupees mark, I decided to get THAT car which I always dreamt of, in which I could easily tour with my parents. All comfy options were below 25L, with Innova Crysta being on top. Apart from the previously decided criteria, I added in ease of spares procurement too as an important factor. I don’t mind bad aftersales support, as long as the parts are easily available in market. Hence I was absolutely fine with Tatas and Mahindras, despite the horror stories we often hear.

Revised Requirements:

•Good GC and high seating position with seats on the stiffer side
•Good ingress/egress. Mom suffers from lower back issue and a stiff left leg.
•Easy availability of spares

Cars I shortlisted for TD: Ecosport, Nexon, Ertiga, XL6, Seltos, Harrier, Innova Crysta

Cars which didn’t feature in my list:

XUV 300: Boot is a joke.

XUV 500: Product is at the end of its life cycle. Plus too many niggles.

Creta: No Manual option in the 1.4GDI trim. Also looks bad to me, the front grill reminds me of a stretched V shape underwear. The sides and rear are equally horrendous. In an attempt to stand out, Hyundai is trying out too loud designs. Even after so many days, I haven't come to terms with the design. It does look decent in some darker shades though, like Black.

Venue: Horribly cramped.

Hector: Never liked it. More so because of the atrocious handling and lifeless steering. Body roll is immense. Also I don't see any future for MG in India.

The first car to arrive was the XL6. Mom loved the ease of getting in and out. I have seen her struggle in almost every car, including the Crysta which happens to be dad’s official ride(an erstwhile 2.8Z). She hated the step up exercise she had to do in the Innova. No such issue in the XL6. In fact I was sold at the very moment I saw her getting in. Still took a long TD, and mom reconfirmed her choice. Just for comparison, I took her to a nearby Arena showroom and showed her the Ertiga, and she preferred the all Black interiors of the XL6. She also liked the more supportive middle rows of the XL6, compared to the flat seats of the Ertiga.

1:00 PM: I decided to first get all cars approved by mom. It would have been pointless to first drive the car and then show it to mom. She approved only the Harrier which was equally good in terms of seating comfort, while the ambiance was way superior. Every other car was either a step down(like Seltos) or step up(Innova). The moment she approved the Harrier, I started salivating at the prospects of owning a Black Edition Harrier. However my excitement was rather short lived. I asked a friend who owns a V1 Harrier to join me for a TD. Due to some recent illegal construction near my house, his Harrier was struggling to get through the turn. Lockdown ensured there was absolutely no hope of getting it fixed, and there went my hopes of owning a Harrier down the drain. I was not ready to park it two blocks away, unattended, for God knows how many days.

So by evening it was decided that the XL6 will be coming home.

3:00PM: I called my RM, Mr. Yash Raj to bring the TD car once again. This time I wanted dad to have a good look, and I also intended to do a PDI of my own, before finalizing it. We went to the yard where they had XL6s in almost every shade. My first choice was Arctic White, but the two cars they had didn’t pass my PDI. One was a Feb 2020 manufactured car, while the other one was probably driven from a showroom which was around 100 km away. Now the choice was between Magma Grey and Premium Silver. Dad had a good look between the two and preferred Magma Grey. I had looked at two Magma Grey cars, and finally selected the one which felt the best to me. The rejected one had no assembly line marks on the body. Either it was washed down or polished. I was in no mood to take chances since there were lots of options available.

PDI Pics:

Choice between Premium Silver and Magma Grey:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-silver-xl6.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-silver-xl6-vs-grey.jpg

Finally Magma Grey was blocked

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-1.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-2.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-3.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-4.jpg

The chosen heart:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-5.jpg

Things I looked while doing my PDI

-Decoded the month of Manufacture using our VIN tool

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200710_113146.jpg

-Looked at the entire body closely, one panel at a time. The factory marks helped to ensure that there was no panel repainted. I had some doubt near the LH Front door. For that I had my cheap paint depth gauge ready.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-meter.jpg

-Checked the engine bay in Detail for any rat bites/evidence of rodents. Everything was clean

-I asked the RM to give me their dispatch and unload history. He confirmed that Maruti dispatched this car on 4th July, and they unloaded it on 9th. So the car was very fresh. The same was confirmed on their sale invoice. Meanwhile I had also asked my contact at the Plant to give me exact date of production. He confirmed that it rolled out of the assembly line on 29th June.

-I had a quick look at the interiors, everything was fresh. The ODO reading was 6 km.

After finalizing the chassis number, I met the PDI incharge and informed him that I’ll be present when they do their PDI. Also requested him not to remove any plastics, or erase any PDI mark. They use compounds like petrol/thinner etc, and I forbade them to even wash the car. Everything was to be done in front of me. Given the volumes Maruti showrooms do, it's not possible to take care to avoid minor swirls.

After coming back, I gave the RM a cheque of Rs. 11,000 and we discussed about the final quotes.

After some comparisons, this is the final I paid:

Ex-Showroom: 10,41,131
TCS: 7,808
3 Year Insurance: 66,032
Registration(without finance): 44,445
5 Year Warranty: 17,700

Total: Rs. 11,77,116
Accessories of my choice: 15,000
Total Paid to dealership: Rs. 11,92,116

13th July, 10:00AM: I paid them the balance amount and they began the registration formalities. Due to slight miscommunication from my end, they registered the car on 13th, whereas my parents wanted it to happen on Tuesday, 14th July. Completely my fault here.

2:00PM: I got a call that they will proceed with the PDI formalities. A close friend who is a Doctor at AIIMS wanted to come along, and we went to the yard together. After waiting for a bit, the car arrived at the inspection bay.

First Look:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-.jpg

On the ramp for PDI:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-c.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-d.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-e.jpg

The guys started doing their own PDI. I must say, MSIL has made it very comprehensive. They have to upload numerous pics. Wheel center cap, antenna, tools, manual, first aid kit etc came packed, and a chap installed them all. I must say, everyone was super cautious with the cars. In fact we were requested to be careful with other cars.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-f.jpg

Meanwhile I went under the body and had a good look. Spotted date of manufacture on many components. Sticker on Suspension sub-frame:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-h.jpg

Sticker on engine block:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-g.jpg

After the entire process was over, we left for our respective homes. Our RM assured that the car will be transported to the showroom later in the evening when roads are relatively empty. True to his words, he sent me pics of the car once it reached their showroom's basement parking. It was parked carefully with no cars nearby:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200730_193511.jpg

I was confused what to do with the stock tires. Initially I was planning to go with GoodYear Assurance TripleMax2, since I was getting supposedly better tires at no cost. However, the doctor friend who was accompanying me is a big Michelin fan, and he introduced me to the owner of Michelin Store. They then gave me excellent buyback for Bridgestones. But the Michelins were 2018 make. A quick chat with DBHPian NikhilB convinced me to go for the tyres. Also there was an assurance(pun intended) by the store owner that any kind of defect will be covered by him. A long day came to an end.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th December 2020 at 20:36. Reason: Typo
Leoshashi is offline   (124) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 00:15   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

The D-Day: 14th July 2020

9:30AM: Unfortunately dad had to leave for an official trip at the last moment. So I had to call a Uber. Midway, I purchased a gift for the RM and some chocolates for the employees.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200731_234305.jpg

10:00AM: My RM accompanied me to the basement and we brought the car to the washing area. I bought 3 microfibers as I didn't want my car to get swirls on the first day itself. The cleaners were more than happy to use the new clothes.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200801_001624.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200801_001634.jpg

-I asked them to dump all chosen accessories in the boot, as I had planned to install them myself. Accessories I bought:

1. Carpet Floor Mat:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200731_235540.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200731_235553.jpg

2. Interior Styling Kit:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200731_235419.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200731_235429.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200731_235445.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200731_235455.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200731_235524.jpg

Haven't installed them yet as doorpads need to be removed for it. I have planned some upgrades, these too will be added then.

3. Non Illuminated Sill Guards:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200731_235608.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200731_235630.jpg

4. Number Plate Frame:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200801_001219.jpg

5. While I haven't purchased it yet, I had a good look at the MGA beverage cooler and may consider in future(the model with heat function):

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200731_235642.jpg

Meanwhile, they did other paperwork like generating final invoices, taking signatures etc. The plates arrived around 1PM. I requested the RM and the workers to finish their lunch first and then work if they feel like. Due to COVID there was no cake cutting ceremony. I too avoided any kind of contact.

I requested them not to polish anything. They requested to do the tyres, and I agreed since it was anyways going to be replaced.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200729_104121.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200729_104129.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200729_104138.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200729_104149.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200731_234800.jpg

They brought the car to the display area and clicked pics. After taking around 2L fuel, I took their leave and drove straight to the nearest Reliance pump. The XL6 gulped in almost 43L fuel. It took me a lot of effort to convince the pump attendant that this is indeed a petrol vehicle.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200729_104106.jpg

The first full tank:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200731_234904.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200731_234920.jpg

3:00PM: I called the Tyre store in advance and they requested me to reach around 4PM, since the technicians were yet to take their lunch. I drove straight to my house and this window allowed me to plan the tyre change. I kept torque wrench(pre torqued to 100Nm), dilute IPA and some rags in the boot and reached the store at 4PM sharp.

4:00PM: Tyre swap to Michelin XM2, 195/65R15:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200729_104016.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200729_104027.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200801_004210.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200801_004225.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200801_004237.jpg

The difference was like day and night. While the OEM bridgestones were competent, there was significant difference in road noise and shock absorption. My Bridgestones also had 50PSI+, but I have experienced them with recommended pressure on my friend's XL6 and there was simply no comparison. One of the best decisions I took! Special thanks to GTO and BHPians NikhilB2008, Torque18 and Bonecollector who kept on pushing me when I was planning to live with the mediocre Brigestones.

Initially I was keeping 32PSI, finally have settled down with 30PSI all across for my need(mostly single occupancy). It's very comfortable now. Regarding pressure, I also approached Michelin Technical team, and they recommended keeping 29PSI(Same as what Maruti recommends). I have also planned to get rid of the steel rim and install an alloy there along with Michelin. I'm a firm believer of old school 5 tyre rotation.

After reaching home, we did a small puja, along with crushing of Lemon which was my favorite bit. After the ceremony, I did move the car a bit towards the left and poured water on floor where lemon was crushed, as I didn't want the tyres to lie in a puddle of acid, even if its mild.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_213158.jpg

Last edited by Leoshashi : 25th August 2020 at 03:36.
Leoshashi is offline   (91) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 22:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

15th July: I had requested the dealership not to undercoat the car, as I had planned to get it done properly at the place I trust. The next day I collected all my supplies like IPA, anti-rust, spare rags etc and visited my old trusted MASS. Since the under body was spotlessly clean, I believe this was the best time to get it the first coat, since it would bond to the body perfectly.

My mechanic Arjun and everyone were ecstatic to see a new car, and they immediately hoisted the car on lift. I requested them to follow the process I wished, and they obliged. The process they followed:

1. Remove all trims like full wheel liners, partial engine covers, Wheels, stepney etc.

2. We then wiped down the entire underbody with IPA. It ensured spotlessly clean underbody, free from any oil or dirt. I also got all caps sealed by windshield rubber, since it prevents any kind of water ingress even when body is submerged, and is also easy to cut and remove if I ever need to open the cap.

3. Spray 2 coats of antirust. We used 2 bottles of MGA antirust, made by Liqui Moly.

4. I also got the silencer sprayed. Since the XL6 has a long exhaust, one can of silencer coating wasn't enough. So I asked them to coat the resonators using silver paint, while the straight pipes were done in black, making a nice design. Anyways I prioritized protection more than looks, so it hardly mattered.

5. We used new clips for all trims. This is the difference between a rattling car, and factory finish. I am a strong believer that clips fit tightly for the first time only, and they should never be reused.

6. They also torqued my wheels again to 100Nm. Let's see when it gets torqued the normal Indian way.

Some pics:

In the air!

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_215020.jpg

Arjun applying windshield rubber sealant around drain holes

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_215052.jpg

2 cans of Antirust for the long car:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_215107.jpg

All wheel well trims were removed:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_215116.jpg

Spotlessly clean after IPA wipe:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_215127.jpg

Result:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_215203.jpg

Meanwhile, the senior denter made an interesting observation. Only XL6 and New Ertiga have a 2nd member pair below the main crash member. This connects the front cross-member to the suspension sub-frame. As per him, absence of this member causes quick collapse of the front lower body even in case of minor shunts, which other Marutis are infamous for. Hope I never get to verify his claim.

The pair of members, connecting the front cross-member to suspension sub-frame:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_215031.jpg

We had an Old Ertiga on nearby lift for quick comparo:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_215143.jpg

Absence of any kind of such member in the old car:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_221551.jpg

Last edited by Leoshashi : 26th August 2020 at 00:34.
Leoshashi is offline   (103) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 22:44   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quick Likes and Dislikes: After owning the car for a month and driving it for around 1200 kms, here is my list of likes and dislikes, starting with dislikes first:

Dislikes:

-Thin window panels like all Marutis today, they let in a lot of noise inside.

-Weird features distribution: A 12L rupees car doesn't get Auto Dimming IRVM, UV Cut glasses, Puddle lamp, Footwell lamp, Telescopic steering, etc, which the cheaper Baleno gets.

-Lack of safety aids: Even in 2020, MSIL is happily giving us 2 Airbags, which means they have made no improvement over the 2004 WagonR which first came with dual airbags option. This lack of intent, despite being synonymous with "Unsafe Tinny Cars". For a car focusing on rear seat comfort, lack of safety for rear is appalling. Another glaring omission is the lack of rear fog lamps on any new Marutis today.

-Horrible design for alloy wheels: they are an absolute pain to clean.

-The infamous touchscreen housing creaking issue. However I think I have found the culprit and will post the fix soon.

-Should have got a Diesel engine. I would have probably gone for the fab 1.5L E15 Diesel if Maruti had it on sale today.

-Even in petrol, I feel it deserves a 6th gear.

-Exposed engine and gearbox from below. Forget riding over a boulder, even a flying debris can wreak havoc.

-The annoying speed alerts.

-Space under center armrest is useless. Even my wallet is a tight fit there.

-Under-tired stock wheel size: They give 195/60R16s with much nicer looking wheels on XL7 which is mechanically identical to the XL6. I have upgraded to 195/65R15 which is essentially the same wheel dia as the XL7. While my heart will always long for the sweet 16 inchers of the XL7, head says I now have the best possible alloy-tire combo. The increased sidewall surely helps in improving the ride.

The Indonesia spec XL7 in Magma Grey shade:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-117120202_3120016184701560_3674449859282113896_n.jpg

-Space and Comfort. This does 90% of what the Innova can, at 50% of the price. Absolute VFM. Nice and comfortable leather seats with good under-thigh support.

-Engine: Explained later

-Not the tinny build most Marutis have today. It's not a tank either, but the panels aren't as hollow feeling as say the Baleno. The hood is heavy. I intend to go for a full fledged damping soon. Stay tuned!

-Suspension and Ride quality: Explained later

-Butter smooth gearshifts along with super light hydraulic clutch.

-Performance of LED Lamps: They look fab, and perform adequately well at night.

-AC is excellent

-Loving the Cruise control. Also helps in getting good mileage over long distances

-Its a Maruti Suzuki. Enough said! Parts availability is a breeze. Service station options are aplenty.

-Well weighted steering. The only Maruti today which has a good feel from the steering.

-HU: Harman supported system looks and sounds nice. I'm not an audiophile so the stock speakers are good enough for me for the time being.

-Keyless entry is a big convenience, specially when you are in a hurry.

-Despite being so spacious, it feels nothing more than a large hatchback to drive. Very convenient in the city.

-Adequate Ground Clearance: Haven't scraped anywhere.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 26th August 2020 at 00:50.
Leoshashi is offline   (85) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 23:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Strengthening the bond, Making the car mine: I somehow didn't feel any connect with the car after it came home. I believe it develops slowly with days of DIYs, long trouble-free trips, personalisation, improvements, care etc.

That began the very next day, with the anti-rust as described earlier. I also kept spending time whenever I could, trying to understand the vehicle better and altering it to my taste. Some minor activities I indulged in:

1. The first wash and wax:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_231744.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_231803.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_231817.jpg

Spoiled for choice?! You bet! Eventually applied Collinite 915 as base, and topped it up with a sacrificing layer of Meguiars Ultimate Paste Wax

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_231903.jpg

Love how the metallics showed up:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_231928.jpg

An evening well spent:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_231826.jpg

2. Stuffing grease on strut top: While Maruti has given a strut cap in the XL6, stuffing grease on top has been my mantra ever since my GG days. It helps by repelling water. If it isn't applied and water somehow gets on top, it eventually reaches the strut bearing, and then the strut becomes noisy. This is one tip which has helped me keep my car's front strut bearings in top shape for the last 20 years. Installed the strut cap back after this.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_233225.jpg

3. Swapping Number plate lamp's halogens for Osram LEDs:

Before:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_232116.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_232226.jpg

After:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_232253.jpg

4. Interior Care with CarPro PERL: I like natural finish on trims, and CarPro PERL gives just that. With optimum dilution ratio, it can be used almost everywhere: Plastics, Engine, Rubber, Leather

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200815_001151.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200729_104316.jpg

Accidentally, I found this superb arrangement which will be immensely comfortable during long journeys. Reminds me of the first gen WagonR which also had this flat bed arrangement:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200815_001117.jpg

5. Installed the Sill Guard myself: All MGA accessories come with detailed instructions, and it's very easy to follow.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_235736.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_235746.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_235817.jpg

6. PPF on Vulnerable areas: Did the sills myself. Waiting for TPU PPF to arrive, after that I'll cover the bumpers, ORVM etc.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200808_182124.jpg

7. Did some stupidity on the bland engine bay, applied a SUZUKI emblem on the air filter box. Also the fenders got VVT badges. I somehow feel the car looks better with this.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200719_164810.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200729_103737.jpg

8. Added 70MAI Dashcam Pro: Must have in these times. I have planned for a major damping later, will properly hide the wires then.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200724_160702.jpg

Last edited by Leoshashi : 26th August 2020 at 00:53.
Leoshashi is offline   (80) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 21:51   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Exterior: While the XL6 is based on the Ertiga, it has a completely different persona. Like or dislike surely depends on personal tastes, but the additions definitely take its shape away from the typical breadbox MPV form.

The Headlamps are positioned at the extremes, giving a wide stance on the top. Wish the fogs too were placed a bit outside, as the bottom part of the car feels narrow.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200817_212354.jpg

The 4 Chamber LED Headlights. They don't feature projector units like other Marutis, and hence the light scatters more compared to the focused beams of the Projectors. The Headlight is a sealed unit except the halogen bulb for the indicator which is replaceable. The unit costs ₹17,980 on the day of compilation of this review.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200817_214506.jpg

On normal days, I found the illumination adequate. It won't wow you, but you won't be disappointed either(like say the 4th Gen City FL). Some pics and video of the HL throw.

On a straight empty stretch, Fogs only:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_185804.jpg

High Plus Fogs:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_185809.jpg

Low Plus fogs:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_185812.jpg

Another location, fogs only:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_185929.jpg

High plus fogs:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_185936.jpg

Low Plus fogs:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_185940.jpg

Behind a truck on a dusty road, during dusk:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200715_185137.jpg

A video recorded on dashcam, entirely to show the lights under different conditions:

The Headlights are made by IJL(India Japan Lighting). Killer quality compared to something like Lumax. This was also one of the reasons why I rejected one XL6 during PDI. Coincidentally, my 800 too had IJLs from factory and they are as good as new after 20 years:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200726_185323.jpg

For low beam, only the outer two chambers light up. For High, all chambers are lit. DRL is an integral part of the headlight. Low beam:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200817_215237.jpg

Fogs are made by Nitto Denko , a Japanese firm. The fogs are also sealed units, and cost ₹2,550 on the day of compilation. These can be installed on most of the Marutis. They are housed deep inside a sturdy cover:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4614.jpg

The indicators too are integral part of the headlights, and use normal replaceable Halogen bulbs of WY21W type:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4616.jpg

The rear is same as the Ertiga, except black portion on the hatch, and a different bumper.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200729_103903.jpg

The black part is a separate trim, hence repainting wouldn't require masking etc:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200805_114146.jpg

The taillight is a 3 piece unit. The light guides and brake light are LEDs, while the indicator(PY21W) and reversing lights(W16W) are halogens. The light guides are present only in the XL6, they are dummy on the Ertiga:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_163604.jpg

Vertically stacked reflectors help in giving a wide stance to the rear. Also the car gets 4 body coloured rear parking sensors.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4695.jpg

Cheap looking HMSL. Also visible is Rear defogger, along with Wash and wipe.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4697.jpg

No rear Fog light. I'll surely explore the options for a clean install later. The lower part of the bumper is extremely sturdy and well made. Also rear mounted spare wheel, towing hook and end can are visible. I found the ground clearance to be adequate.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4621.jpg

Black ORVM mounted Side turn indicators:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4632.jpg

The much hated cladding. While they appear out of proportion, they are immensely useful in avoiding minor dings and scratches. I believe Maruti took inspiration from one of the Tata Trucks which gets such huge plastic cladding:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200810_084322.jpg

Tow hook is on the left side of the front bumper. Also notice the design of the bumper edge which flows into the lower grill:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200810_082436.jpg

Hood is raised compared to the Ertiga

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4611.jpg

Ribbed roof for extra rigidity. The roof rails are an addition over the Ertiga and they can carry upto 50kg of load safely. I find them immensely useful during car wash sessions. No shark fin here, XL6 gets old school antenna:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4689.jpg

A closer look at the grill. The chrome bar flows into the Headlights as DRLs:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4675.jpg

Side Profile: The once hated dexter cow look is slowly growing on me. Also the larger wheels help a bit

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200729_103840.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4618.jpg

Rear 3 quarter look:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200729_103830.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4622.jpg

Front 3 Quarters:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200817_023144.jpg

Last edited by Leoshashi : 26th August 2020 at 01:00.
Leoshashi is offline   (76) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 22:49   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Exterior Continued:

Alloys: I have upgraded to 195/65R15 Michelin XM2s. Keeping them clean is a pain. You better have some good brushes. Also note the integrated tiny mudflaps in the cladding

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4629.jpg

Chrome door handles all around, with request sensors present on both front doors.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4633.jpg

Look with Hood open. Hood gets an insulation layer beneath, and is decently heavy.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4662.jpg

The ORVMs fold the other way:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4713.jpg

Fuel Flap: You get a spill protector and a place to park the cap when refueling. Even if you leave it dangling, there is no fear of damage to the paint due to the thick cladding. I have pasted a sticker I saw on Boodmo, so that it reads anything except diesel. Life has become much easier that way, since I had to literally fight with the fuel attendant once to fill petrol inside. Will get this decal from the S Cross Petrol soon.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200822_155819.jpg

Front wheels get partial cladding:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4682.jpg

Rear wheel well gets full cladding:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4681.jpg

Aero flaps are present in front of all wheels:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4686.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4687.jpg

Rear Camera: Its of good quality

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200822_155627.jpg

Request sensor present on the boot door as well:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200822_155634.jpg

Floating roof design at the rear:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200817_170246.jpg

Triple Jet nozzles for front washer:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200817_165958.jpg

Last edited by Leoshashi : 25th August 2020 at 12:31.
Leoshashi is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 23:11   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Interiors: These is one of the most comfortable and practical place to be in, this side of Innova Crysta. People often don't understand the value proposition of the XL6 till they spend some time inside. I know at least two colleagues who were looking at cars like WRV, and changed their mind to XL6 while we were on our way to the showrooms.

Full view of the dash:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4641.jpg

Driver Side view:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4639.jpg

Passenger Side view:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4665.jpg
Central Console:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4704.jpg

The doors open wide, ingress and egress is easy, Front:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4637.jpg

Middle row with Captain seats:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4642.jpg

BHPian Sumitsinha0280 volunteered to be the model for the photoshoot. He is 6 feet tall. Driver seat:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4655.jpg

Middle row:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4651.jpg

Under-thigh support for a 6ft tall:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4652.jpg

Maximum legroom for last row:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4647.jpg

Minimum legroom for last row:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4646.jpg

Roof mounted 2nd AC:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4705.jpg

It is a fully functional AC unit, and not simply a blower unit:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-aaaa.jpg

The front driver side door pad:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4634.jpg

The simple rear door, I plan to jazz this up in future:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200822_154818.jpg

The useful seat back pockets. Also visible is the adjustable center armrest:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200822_154921.jpg

There is a tiny space under the driver armrest:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200821_230618.jpg

Maximum and minimum travel for 2nd row:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200822_155009.jpg

Clear pic of the WagonR like arrangement I was talking about:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200822_155157.jpg

Armrest with cup holder for the last row. I have also installed Interior styling kit here:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200822_155420.jpg

ISOFIX for rear seats:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200822_155530.jpg

The interior lights:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200822_155938.jpg

Neatly done tools compartment:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200822_160019.jpg

Boot door, no wires exposed anywhere:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200822_160108.jpg

Nifty handle to close the boot:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200822_160114.jpg

Space provided for dead pedal, sorely miss the rubber attachment here:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4702.jpg

Manual Day/Night mirror in a car which costs more than a million:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4703.jpg

Boot Space with different arrangements possible, this is one flexible car:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4710.jpg

Cooled cup holders. Also the flat space ahead could have been used for wireless charger:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4661.jpg

Area around Start-stop button. Love that handy cubicle below:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4656.jpg

Last edited by Leoshashi : 26th August 2020 at 01:10.
Leoshashi is offline   (74) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 23:13   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Engine: The XL6 is powered by Suzuki's K15B petrol engine, which is rated at 77kW@6000 rpm(103.26BHP). The petrol motor is assisted by an ISG unit which is rated at 1.768kW@2400 rpm(2.37HP). Refinement is top notch below 3000 rpm, after which the note becomes very throaty. It will be loved by enthusiasts, whereas aam junta may find it intrusive. Near 6000 rpm, it sounds very sporty. Initially I used to feel that the engine isn't revv friendly like the Suzuki K12 or Honda's i-Vtec. However as the engine is opening up, all those vibrations and reluctance has disappeared. Happy to report that the Japanese character of revv happiness is very much there.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200817_165829.jpg

High Res video about the engine and mechanism of Smart Hybrid:

Engine characteristics: Low end torque is exemplary. Simply put, its next to impossible to stall this engine. Excellent in traffic. The only comparable engine I remember is the Etios' 1.5L Petrol engine. I'd rate the K15 better than Etios. There is good torque available below 3000 rpm. Between 3000-4000 rpm, the power delivery is absolutely flat. Post 4000, the engine gets another push, and progress is quicḳ.

Compared to the i-Vtec on the BRV, the K15 is miles ahead. While I agree that Honda's engine is too much fun when revved hard, its bottom end is horrendous to say the least. And for a people mover, and a car meant to be used in daily traffic, I'd prefer bottom end grunt to top end performance, any day!

Smart Hybrid: It performs 3 functions: Auto Start stop, Brake energy recuperation and Torque assist. I have kept the start stop on Economy mode, where it kicks in early and remains shut for longer duration. Since its rainy season, it has never become uncomfortable. I believe I will have to change the setting to "Comfort" in summers.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_4678.jpg

When the car decelerates, the SHVS system stores the energy in Lithium Ion battery. During acceleration, torque assist function kicks in and you can feel the additional push if the battery has enough juice. In all, the system is good to have and is no longer a gimmick, like Maruti's first gen SHVS with single battery setup.

Valeo supplied Made in France ISG Unit, costs around 41k at the time of compiling this review:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200822_230058.jpg

Primary Battery-Exide Conservo ISS N55, costs around 6.5k:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200822_160208.jpg

Warnings under the hood:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200822_160222.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200822_160225.jpg

Location of 2nd Battery, visible when front seat is pushed all the way forward:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200822_155243.jpg

Closeup, Made in Japan, costs 55.5k today:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200822_155250.jpg

Gearbox: My XL6 is the manual variant, and hence comes with the 5 Speed gearbox. As its the norm with all new gen Maruti gearboxes, the shifts are smooth with well defined gates. Absolutely no rough feeling anywhere. However MSIL should introduce 6 speed gearboxes now. They have flogged their 5 speeder for too long.

Ride and Handling: Respect it's tall height and the handling is pretty good for something labelled as a people mover. I am not a fast driver and my comfortable speed is between 90-110 kmph. Ride is very matured. There is an underlying firmness, but it never feels harsh. After upgrade to Michelins, the ride has improved a lot. I'm maintaining 29-30PSI all around for my kind of use. Suspension vendor is Monroe:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200822_234434.jpg

Steering: Steering wheel is well weighted and unlike the ultra light units on the Baleno, Ignis etc where they fail to center properly, the steering on the XL6 is one of the better ones have experienced in a Maruti. Thicker and better rubber has also helped.

Brakes: Brakes are very sharp and confidence inspiring. I wasn't so impressed with the brakes on the TD car. I will have to ensure similar effectiveness when they flush the brake fluid as a part of the PMS.

Fuel Tank: 45L.

Mileage: I'm currently getting around 16kmpl as per MID. Mileage figures are slowly increasing as the engine is opening up. Have achieved 20.3kmpl in between Hazaribagh-Ranchi, when most of the distance was covered with Cruise control.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th November 2020 at 23:04. Reason: As requested
Leoshashi is offline   (72) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 23:30   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Differences compared to Ertiga:

1. Driver side PW on XL6 gets Auto up and Auto down feature, whereas Ertiga gets Auto down only.

2. All black interiors on the XL6, Beige on the Ertiga

3. Passenger side sunvisor on XL6 gets Vanity mirror and Lamp with flap. Ertiga gets a simple vanity mirror

Ertiga:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200819_165850.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200819_165857.jpg

XL6:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200820_091058.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200820_091116.jpg

4. Ertiga gets Projector halogen headlamps with halogen fog lamps. XL6 gets all LED units.

5. Front spring on the XL6 is different than the Ertiga. Rest everything on suspension front remains same.

6. XL6 gets a small overhead bin for keeping sunglasses.

Ertiga:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200819_165848.jpg

XL6:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200820_091104.jpg

7. 2nd row on Ertiga is bench type, while XL6 gets Captain seats

8. Ertiga gets fabric upholstery, while XL6 gets Leather type.

9. With Ertiga you can completely flat fold the 2nd and 3rd row, but 2nd row on the XL6 doesn't fold completely flat.

10. XL6 gets an ugly yet very useful thick cladding on the outside.

11. Doors on the XL6 flex lesser than Ertiga.

12. XL6 has higher hood; those who like SUV-like visible hood from the seat, will be pleased.

13. XL6 gets functional roof rails over the Ertiga. Also there are some reinforcements around the roof rail mounts in the XL6.

14. Roofliner is of different material and feels premium compared to Ertiga

15. Cruise control is present only in XL6

16. Rear Tailights on XL6 are different as they have volvo like Light guides

17. XL6 gets Piano Black keys, while the Ertiga gets them in Blue.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 23rd August 2020 at 01:37.
Leoshashi is offline   (70) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 01:21   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Miscellaneous:

1. Ever wondered how much tax we pay for a 12 Lac rupees odd car? A breakup of the Ex Showroom price of Rs. 10,41,131:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img20200713wa0072.jpg

2. Form 22 for my car:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-camscanner-07192020-16.05.22_1.jpg

3. Dealerships have insurance quotes from many vendors, and they can easily switch to one with cheaper premium if you haggle too hard. I asked for a chart like this and opted for the cheapest one. Hardly matters as long as its under Maruti Insurance:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img20200711wa0024.jpg

4. These clips come with MGA floor mats:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img20200713wa0021.jpeg

5. Foam on the hood rod to avoid contact with hot metal:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200817_165823.jpg

6. Keys-The piano black/glass like finish is a scratch magnet:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200818_210651.jpg

7. First service experience detailed here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4863522 (Maruti launches 'Service on Wheels' doorstep car service) Total cost of service was Rs. 57.

8. Tyre placard. Even with the upgraded wheels, I'm still following this pressure as per Michelin's recommendation:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200822_160312.jpg

9. 220cc Compressor by Calsonic Kansei Corp:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200726_185331.jpg

10. View at night:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200714_211154.jpg

11. Love this steering wheel:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200715_170627.jpg

12. Will always stick to 0W16 Shell Fully Synthetic:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200730_115055.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200730_115106.jpg

13. Part number if anyone is interested in this snacks table. I didn't purchase it since I didn't see any use for it.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200720_134807.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200720_134843.jpg

14. Another pic of the ground clearance on offer:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200810_084335.jpg

15. Engine mount:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200817_165843.jpg

16. Security alarm siren:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200817_165858.jpg

17. Starter motor is by Lucas TVS:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img20200713wa0081.jpg

18. Like the XL6 but doubtful about captain seats? Well the aftermarket has solution for that as well:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img20200711wa0047.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img20200711wa0048.jpg

For Crysta:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img20200711wa0046.jpg

19. If you are a happy "MASS" customer, like all NEXA cars, you cannot get your XL6 serviced there. For more clarity on the type of Maruti workshops, visit this thread: Link (An insight into Maruti's After-sales network: Different types of workshops) Only dealer owned workshops and MSM/MSZ for NEXA vehicles. Weird strategy since the regular ARENA cars can go to ANY Maruti workshop. As if the NEXA strategy wasn't already confused!

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200814_164311.jpg

20: Honest answer to-What if the S Cross Petrol was available back then: The day I paid the booking amount, S Cross' sales training was going on. I did get confused for a while. Things which went against the S Cross for me:
-Rear seats aren't as special as the XL6, be it space or comfort.
-Old, about to be discontinued model. Feels too outdated today. Also it never sold exceedingly well, so spares may become an issue 10 years from now.
-Many missing features. Even before launch I knew that it will not get any features addition, except the updated HU.
-Pricing was the final nail in the coffin. Almost a lac pricier than the XL6 MT.
-While the ride and handling truly feel Euro Spec, the build isn't that much better over the XL6 to get it a special consideration. May be the product makes sense for someone looking at the CSUV options, but definitely not for my needs.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200806_143648.jpg

21. Product Brochure, Accessories Brochure, Owners manual and Audio Manual PDFs for XL6:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf XL6-Manual-compressed.pdf (13.52 MB, 823 views)
File Type: pdf NEXA XL6 Brochure Mobile_2.pdf (3.10 MB, 547 views)
File Type: pdf audio-manual-SMARTPLAY STUDIO.pdf (11.63 MB, 4124 views)
File Type: pdf XL6-accessories-brochure.pdf (2.73 MB, 5607 views)

Last edited by Aditya : 30th August 2020 at 23:15. Reason: As requested
Leoshashi is offline   (71) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 22:59   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Some randomly captured shots:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200715_172835.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200729_102912.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200729_103029.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200729_103134.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200729_103236.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200729_103247.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200729_103257.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200729_103539.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200729_103600.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200810_084250.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200817_023213.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200823_021114.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200810_084311.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200817_171209.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200817_171502.jpg

Last edited by Leoshashi : 26th August 2020 at 02:29.
Leoshashi is offline   (77) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 23:16   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Acknowledgement

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-79161739.jpg

Special Thanks to:
  • My Parents: Without their blessings, this wouldn't have been possible.
  • GTO: For providing a platform for introverts like me to express myself.
  • To CEO of Premsons Motors, his Team and specially my RM Mr. Yash Raj: You guys rock! I was delighted and surprised at the same time, experiencing the quality control you have.
  • To BHPians Bonecollector, Torque18, Paragsachania, Dr. Naren, Audioholic, BlowHornOk, R2D2, NikhilB2008, Saket77, Sidindica, Gannu1, ChiranjitP and others who helped me at every stage, be it compiling this review or clearing any car related doubt.
  • BHPian and good friend SumitSinha0280 for being there whenever I needed him. Be it photoshoot or anything else.
  • Everyone going through this review, BHPians or Guests

Last edited by Leoshashi : 26th August 2020 at 01:21.
Leoshashi is offline   (217) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 04:48   #14
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 04:56   #15
BHPian

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT

Apart from the exceptional review and the photography, the best part I liked was your acknowledgement section. Yes. Team bhp is a platform where people like us can voice our concerns and get them addressed. True that even Gto is a very approachable guy and helpful too and then everyone here is helpful.
Happy miles on your ride brother. Loved it.
knrn is offline   (20) Thanks

Most Viewed