Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2020, 12:38   #46
BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Congratulations Shashi, this is the best review I can find on the internet for MS XL6. You have touched each and every point in detail.

I especially resonate with what you mentioned about the thin glass panels of Maruti. What are your reviews on the engine sound and overall sound insulation while on highway?

Apart from lovely snaps of your car, you have captured some good views of the immense greenery of Jharkhand!
mbilung is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 14:17   #47
BHPian

Congratulations on your first car! The points you considered and the way you wanted the things on your car looks like you have pretty good experience with cars. You seem to be well informed

I drive a 2013 Ertiga, it was my first car. It is still my daily driver for the last 7 years. According to me, the XL6 won't disappoint you in the long run. It will come in very handy, when you need a car to do additional duties.

Enjoy your miles, with the new car!!
.HEM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 14:24   #48
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on this one, Shashi! I still am in awe of how much you care for your own cars! First Golden Goose & now this. Golden Goose has been doing well for a long time and here's to many more years with this one too.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 14:25   #49
BHPian

Congratulations on a great buy. The car looks fantastic and very flexible too. It is a VFM product for sure with multiple uses and a brand to support

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 14:51   #50
BHPian

Congratulations on your first car! Your review of it has made this the first Maruti product that I actually like.
Moontan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 16:15   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Thanks a lot, Gentlemen.
Also, don't get repelled by "4 speed automatic". It's in fact quite competent for city and regular highway use. If you are a fast driver, avoid it. If you like relaxed laid back driving, you will like the auto box.
That's right, took a TD of the XL6 Auto, the TC wasn't too different from our Elantra 2.0 Auto. Even the Indonesian and Philippine XL7 gets the same 4 speed box. The Elantra when pushed hard also has its short comings i.e. too many revs and then the sudden gear change.

Coming from the Polo GT TSI Petrol and that fab DSG box I am changing my driving style especially now since we have a toddler on board, Pre-Covid we used to do long distance tours with the child and at some point we realised that the Polo is good for two not beyond that. Another reason why it warranted a change in car from a hot hatch to a more sedate family MPV.

I should add that I was considering the Creta as the upgrade, but then in all honesty I saw Shashi's post on the XL6 review thread and started considering it seriously. I like my cars simpler and rarely use gizmos. On the tech side all I wanted was navigation/carplay and auto ac. Rest of the stuff can be upgraded. And am waiting for Shashi to guide us on things like damping, acoustic film, auto ORVM etc.

Last edited by lionell : 27th August 2020 at 16:18.
lionell is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 16:39   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
Congratulations LeoShashi for getting your "first car"
Happy to see Golden Goose sharing garage space with your new car ( time to name it ?? ) and what lucky this XL6 would be as it found your home.

I am sure this is going to be the best beater car ever found on road
You have definitely raised the bar for people planning to buy new car to tick the right boxes before taking delivery.
Looking forward for more such updates, detailing and DIY jobs and wishing you and your family miles of safe drives in your new car
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
This XL6 is probably the luckiest car on Team BHP. You take worshiping your cars to the next level. From now on, whenever someone calls me too obsessed with my cars, I'll simply point to your thread and say "Really"?

Hope you enjoy the next few decades with your XL6! Congrats!
Thanks a lot Guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTO View Post
Thank you for the beautiful review of the XL6. It is not a car you want but, all the car you need in India.
You have perfectly summed up what XL6 means to me.

Quote:
One thing that surprised me is that, my Vento TDi back in 2014, was 9.99 ex showroom and came to 11.72 on road. Your car is 10.xx exshowroom and still costs 11.96 on road. May I know why is it so? Has there been a reduction in tax or something?
Jharkhand has very low tax rates, despite the recent increase. Also I ensured I keep this car in the lowest possible bracket, as they have different rates(6% and 9%) for 2nd car. Also I squeezed the dealership a lot on Insurance and Registration costs. I paid them only what was genuine. And that was done cleanly without any hassle. Also since I didn't take any loan, registration charges were around 3k lesser. Every penny counts, that's how I kept the cost in check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv.yzr View Post
Congratulations for your new acquisition!
Excellent review and photographs.

I believe this review will serve as a base for the fellow members and others out there who fortifies their resolution to purchase XL6.

Wishing you good luck.
Take care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Excellent ownership review. I cannot even imagine the nano level that you've gone from selecting the car from yard to delivery. You're a monk for sure to get things done from a typical Indian dealer. Coming to this product XL6, I think all the loyal MS customers who wanted a Ciaz, S Cross, Vitara Brezza in diesel budget will look towards Ertiga/XL6 petrol as their next car. Who doesn't want extra seats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
Congratulations on the XL6, the first car bought with one's own money is always special. Wishing you many happy miles with the car. Wonderfully compiled review, will help prospective XL6 customers. The XL6 as a product seems competent, with its USP being space & comfort. Being a Maruti, it should be reliable & cheap to maintain.

I hope you will continue to take care of GG like before & also keep driving her regularly (even if not as much as before) .
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
Congratulations!!! The review is so well written and it almost seems as if with the XL6 your dream came true and the wait was worth it.
Thanks Guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbilung View Post
Congratulations Shashi, this is the best review I can find on the internet for MS XL6. You have touched each and every point in detail.

I especially resonate with what you mentioned about the thin glass panels of Maruti. What are your reviews on the engine sound and overall sound insulation while on highway?

Apart from lovely snaps of your car, you have captured some good views of the immense greenery of Jharkhand!
The noise insulation is average at best. First the tyres have helped a lot in completely eliminating the tyre noise. Additionally, I intend to do a killer damping, something which has never been documented in India at least. Engine is refined as long as its relaxed and below 3k RPM. Beyond that, it makes a throaty note. I find it sporty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .HEM View Post
Congratulations on your first car! The points you considered and the way you wanted the things on your car looks like you have pretty good experience with cars. You seem to be well informed

I drive a 2013 Ertiga, it was my first car. It is still my daily driver for the last 7 years. According to me, the XL6 won't disappoint you in the long run. It will come in very handy, when you need a car to do additional duties.

Enjoy your miles, with the new car!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Congratulations on this one, Shashi! I still am in awe of how much you care for your own cars! First Golden Goose & now this. Golden Goose has been doing well for a long time and here's to many more years with this one too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Congratulations on a great buy. The car looks fantastic and very flexible too. It is a VFM product for sure with multiple uses and a brand to support

Swami
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontan View Post
Congratulations on your first car! Your review of it has made this the first Maruti product that I actually like.
Thanks guys, glad you liked the review. The car surely has its USPs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
And am waiting for Shashi to guide us on things like damping, acoustic film, auto ORVM etc.
Rest assured, a lot of meaningful upgrades are on the way. Damping will be one of the most comprehensive anyone in India has ever attempted. Stay tuned. Congrats again on your new car.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 17:16   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Miscellaneous:

17. Starter motor is by Lucas TVS:

WOW! Rated a well deserved 5 Stars! Cant wait to get my hands on mine, expected to be delivered next week.

By the way I was under the impression that the cranking is taken care by ISG unit, but a Starter motor?

One lucky XL6 to get an amazing owner like you, wish you a great association and happy miles ahead!
MadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 20:03   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTiger View Post
WOW! Rated a well deserved 5 Stars! Cant wait to get my hands on mine, expected to be delivered next week.

By the way I was under the impression that the cranking is taken care by ISG unit, but a Starter motor?

One lucky XL6 to get an amazing owner like you, wish you a great association and happy miles ahead!
It has two types of starting. Normal start with push button results in normal cranking sound and that is done by the conventional starter motor. During start stop function, the engine starts very silently with no sound or vibration. That is taken care of by the belt driven ISG.

The ISG is internally called as MGU in MSIL. Motor Generator Unit. Also, the direction of rotation is same during torque assist function(Motor function) or starting function after auto stop.

I believe the nerds among us will love this info:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200827_200143.jpg

The illustrated engine is of diesel, the K15 is much simpler. But ISG function remains same.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 27th August 2020 at 20:09.
Leoshashi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 20:45   #55
BHPian

You sir, out of nowhere have suddenly made the XL6 one of the most desirable cars for me I used to pass it off as just a "well decorated Ertiga" but realized now there is a lot more to the XL6.

Great to see some of the things that were earlier mere gimmicks/less effective such as the hybrid system are now so well evolved!

Looks like this is one petrol that can actually compete with the diesels on low end and mileage???
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 21:03   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Bharadwaj View Post
You sir, out of nowhere have suddenly made the XL6 one of the most desirable cars for me I used to pass it off as just a "well decorated Ertiga" but realized now there is a lot more to the XL6.

Great to see some of the things that were earlier mere gimmicks/less effective such as the hybrid system are now so well evolved!

Looks like this is one petrol that can actually compete with the diesels on low end and mileage???
Thanks, glad you liked the review.

Low end is absolutely fantastic. Mileage, not so sure. You can get 20+ mileage easily if you drive with patience and caution.

I got 20.3 kmpl over 140 kms (2 people on board, cruise control at 79kmph, AC set at 24 degrees, Barhi To Ranchi). Its mostly a 4 lane expressway.

If I drive it as I normally do, with occasional bursts to the revv limiter, it shows 16.xxkmpl. So yes, by petrol car standards, its decent. Fuel efficiency is going up slowly.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 21:12   #57
BHPian

Quote:
It has two types of starting. Normal start with push button results in normal cranking sound and that is done by the conventional starter motor. During start stop function, the engine starts very silently with no sound or vibration. That is taken care of by the belt driven ISG.

Regards,
Shashi
This is some serious tech, no matter how mild it might be but its functional and it works! Thank you! I have a follow up question.

I have heard in one of the car reviews that when the engine auto start / stop kicks in while stopped at a stop light for prolonged time the ISG runs the AC compressor without starting the engine when cabin temperature increases? Is that true?
MadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 22:07   #58
BHPian

Congratulations on the XL6, Leoshashi! An absolutely brilliant companion for the Golden Goose to share the garage and kilometres with! Am sure the XL6 will serve you as well as GG has. Needless to say, your XL6 has already been spruced up to better than factory condition . Eagerly waiting for the future updates and modifications!

Regards,
Swamy
swamyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 22:44   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTiger View Post
This is some serious tech, no matter how mild it might be but its functional and it works! Thank you! I have a follow up question.

I have heard in one of the car reviews that when the engine auto start / stop kicks in while stopped at a stop light for prolonged time the ISG runs the AC compressor without starting the engine when cabin temperature increases? Is that true?
The picture is self explanatory. ISG belt doesn't directly drive the compressor. So it cannot turn on the AC without turning on the engine.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-capture.jpg

I have experienced this. When the system turns off, blower remains on and tries to maintain the temperature. If the system detects increase in temperature, the ISG turns on the engine silently and then the compressor kicks in.

I'll make a detailed post on the functioning of Smart Hybrid soon. A lot of wrong info has been circulated in the media by these self proclaimed experts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamyzen View Post
Congratulations on the XL6, Leoshashi! An absolutely brilliant companion for the Golden Goose to share the garage and kilometres with! Am sure the XL6 will serve you as well as GG has. Needless to say, your XL6 has already been spruced up to better than factory condition . Eagerly waiting for the future updates and modifications!

Regards,
Swamy
Thanks Swamy Sir.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 23:05   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Leoshashi, that was one of the more interesting ownership reviews of a car that I have read on the forum. Not too much content and not too many pictures, it was just the right balance and it felt like a friend was narrating his experience to me.

I was most intrigued by your decision to shortlist a car with the lighting unit from India Japan Lighting being one of the criteria. I certainly would never have thought that such a component could make or break a PDI but now that you have shared it, I can fully understand why you did it. Such little gems of knowledge can only be found on this wonderful forum.

If I hear any of my friend's planning to buy a XL6, I certainly will ask them to look out for the IJL unit during the PDI, if they even plan to do a PDI that is!
neil.jericho is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks