Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2020, 08:38   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam.dino View Post
I am sorry to report that I have been defeated again. Need Help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
As I can see, you've removed the covering. Now you've to pull out the bulb. There is no need to rotate the bulb, it needs to be pulled out. Once out, you have to push the LED bulb into its slot.
+1. Make sure bulb is pulled straight out and not at an angle. After pushing LED back in, check once if it is glowing with parking light ON. With LEDs you have to take polarity into account. Put back lens only after confirming.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 16:59   #152
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new car and the mod. Hoping to see many more mods/improvements to the car.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 20:19   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTiger View Post
Hate Maruti's lousyness! The brand new car squeaks!

Sashi could you please share how you fixed it, I was able to remove the facia cover but not able to take the head unit out. Appreciate your assistance.

Regards,
AM
Apologies for the delay in replying.

These are the steps to take out the HU:

1. Pry out the bezel of HU(shiny black part), preferably with your finger nails. It's held together using 4 red clips

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200824_155719.jpg

2. Now focus your attention to the ACC console. At the bottom part, you can feel two small notches. Insert a prying tool and carefully pry the panel out. It comes out easily and disconnect the coupler.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-1-2.jpg

3. When seen from the bottom, you will see two screws holding the HU in place. You will have to insert the screw driver from the access you just created from the ACC console.

4. Pull out the HU carefully. Make sure the rear metal part of the HU doesn't touch anything as its edges are very sharp and can easily damage your fingers or your dashboard. Disconnect the couplers.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-3.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-5.jpg

What I did to arrest the creak from HU:

1. Put Foam tapes here such that those red clips don't directly touch the plastic and are held more snugly:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200824_155719-2.jpg

2. The HU bracket has two rubber feet. I wrapped cloth electrical tape and then put back the rubber such that it becomes fatter and sits tightly

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-2-2.jpg

3. I also noticed that the tube for middle vent is very close to the top part of the dash. So inserted a piece of foam in between. Used the part they have for number plate cushion.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-6.jpg

These fixed the HU creak completely. However, the central garnish(which maruti calls stone finish) has now started to creak on bad roads. Seems another round of surgery will have to be planned. If anyone asks me today about the single biggest demerit of this car, I'll nominate the dashboard for sure. I drive without music, I believe this is why even such minor squeaks trouble me.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 21:31   #154
BHPian

Thanks Sashi, your guide to open the head unit on your previous post helped me to do similar jugad but I missed the cloth taping on the rubber mounts which made the unit creak again after the 1950km drive.

We completed our first "lo-ongish" drive with family from Bangalore to Kolkata. I will prepare to write an initial ownership review based on my observation and experience.

We completed in 2.5 days, initially we planned to do it in 2, but considering family and kids along wanted to take it a bit easy.

Couple of straight likes -

1) Awesome suspension setup, little on the softer side, which makes it a bit bouncy - soaks up almost most bad patches.

This observation is with two kids in the middle row, front two adults and full family luggage, 550 lts boot utilized to its full potential.

2) Decent engine pull considering the load we had. Formerly driven the trusted Fiat MJD, missed the mid range, but downshifts helps to overcome it.

3) Comfortable seats, kids were happy in the middle row except getting bored no complains of being uncomfortable, home minister witnessed her first long drive and she had no complains either. I have issues with my back which has aggravated in recent times and being the only pilot had apprehensions about elevated pain during the journey but made it through without much discomfort.

Negatives -

1) Outright most overrated headlights. It's just horrible, in rains the light just disappears and in dry conditions it's below average. I wish I could install the Ertiga lights.

2) Fuel economy is just average. But I understand this is a people mover and has a bigger engine, but just for the sake of comparison, the 1.8 ltr honda civic in our fmaily averages almost 17kmpl on highway. I made an average of 16kmpl with speeds around100 to 110 kmph during this travel.

Thank you,
Aniruddha
MadTiger is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 22:34   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

We completed our first "lo-ongish" drive with family from Bangalore to Kolkata. I will prepare to write an initial ownership review based on my observation and experience.

We completed in 2.5 days, initially we planned to do it in 2, but considering family and kids along wanted to take it a bit easy.

Couple of straight likes -

1) Awesome suspension setup, little on the softer side, which makes it a bit bouncy - soaks up almost most bad patches.

This observation is with two kids in the middle row, front two adults and full family luggage, 550 lts boot utilized to its full potential.

2) Decent engine pull considering the load we had. Formerly driven the trusted Fiat MJD, missed the mid range, but downshifts helps to overcome it.

3) Comfortable seats, kids were happy in the middle row except getting bored no complains of being uncomfortable, home minister witnessed her first long drive and she had no complains either. I have issues with my back which has aggravated in recent times and being the only pilot had apprehensions about elevated pain during the journey but made it through without much discomfort.

Negatives -

1) Outright most overrated headlights. It's just horrible, in rains the light just disappears and in dry conditions it's below average. I wish I could install the Ertiga lights.

2) Fuel economy is just average. But I understand this is a people mover and has a bigger engine, but just for the sake of comparison, the 1.8 ltr honda civic in our fmaily averages almost 17kmpl on highway. I made an average of 16kmpl with speeds around100 to 110 kmph during this travel.

Thank you,
Aniruddha
Congratulations on your first long drive with the XL6. Consider this your own thread and post pics, till the time your own thread comes up.

Headlights are indeed average, what you can do is source some nice IPH projector fogs. Issue with these headlights is that they scatter a lot and sometimes give feel that beams have disappeared. I drove a lot at night during my 1000 km drive recently, and while I completely agree with you on the "beams disappearing" part which can make you nervous, the lights won't let you miss anything-Potholes or any kind of obstruction was visible well in advance. Never gave me any surprises and I was able to maintain my cruise even at night where I prefer to slow down.

Regarding mileage, don't worry yet. I am about to touch 3k kms and with generous use of cruise control, I'm easily breaching 20kmpl mark(with solo driving) even after maintaining good speeds. I never keep the screen which gives out fuel efficiency readouts.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 00:13   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
+1. Make sure bulb is pulled straight out and not at an angle. After pushing LED back in, check once if it is glowing with parking light ON. With LEDs you have to take polarity into account. Put back lens only after confirming.
With my fingers devoid of skin, I WIN!

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-number-plate-light-led.jpg
arindam.dino is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 13:10   #157
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2057838

These fixed the HU creak completely. However, the central garnish(which maruti calls stone finish) has now started to creak on bad roads.
Regards,
Shashi

Just drove 965km from Jodhpur (RJ) to Bombay (MH) in one day. I am a Mumbaikar now :-). The 'van' is super comfortable, there was no fatigue by the end of the 17 hour journey. Like MadTiger has mentioned in his post its a +1 to all his points including the headlamps. The suspension is great as well with the upgraded 195 section Yoko Blu Earth tyres doing a good job of soaking the bumps and giving decent grip levels in wet and dry as well.

What I am thoroughly disappointed in is with just 1400km on the ODO the dashboard sounds like it's falling apart internally. There seems to be a strong judder from various parts on the inside while going over even some very basic rumblers or bad roads. Its prominent while tackling sudden rumble strips encountered near highway crossings.

I am going to do some basic juggad as suggested by LeoShashi as well as experiment with some on my own.

In a fabulous package the dashboard and fittings are a chink in the armour, taking out the entire premium NEXA Experience.

Last edited by lionell : 22nd September 2020 at 13:13. Reason: text deletion
lionell is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 13:49   #158
BHPian

Another bummer and I was thoroughly disappointed with the android auto experience. Though this is not directly related to Maruti experience as other android users is facing similar issues.

What happens - when you connect your phone in AA mode everything works, the moment you get an incoming call and end the call, the audio immediately starts playing in full volume on the phone.

The only way to fix this is unplug and re-plug the phone cable to the head unit. . And it become very frustrating while driving.

Did a lot of googling but did not arrive at any conclusive solution.
MadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 14:18   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Apologies for the delay in replying.

These fixed the HU creak completely. However, the central garnish(which maruti calls stone finish) has now started to creak on bad roads. Seems another round of surgery will have to be planned. If anyone asks me today about the single biggest demerit of this car, I'll nominate the dashboard for sure. I drive without music, I believe this is why even such minor squeaks trouble me.

Regards,
Shashi
Thanks for the awesome guidance on this rattle fix, for me however the noise seems to be only coming from the bezel of HU and its more of a crackling sound and if i press on to the bezel it disappears so putting some foam tape on the joint would help to resolve my case i guess.

On a different note how is the engine under body protection holding up? I am concerned whether the front screws would be able to hold it while driving through waterlogged areas as my locality is prone to water logging during heavy rains.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 22nd September 2020 at 14:45. Reason: trimmed the quoted text.
HornNotOkPlease is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 14:41   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Another bummer and I was thoroughly disappointed with the android auto experience. Though this is not directly related to Maruti experience as other android users is facing similar issues.

What happens - when you connect your phone in AA mode everything works, the moment you get an incoming call and end the call, the audio immediately starts playing in full volume on the phone.

The only way to fix this is unplug and re-plug the phone cable to the head unit. . And it become very frustrating while driving.

Did a lot of googling but did not arrive at any conclusive solution.
+1 to that as well. My CarPlay kept disconnecting the set destination. I had to search and redo the process multiple times. Not sure if it was the HU that disconnected or an issue with CarPlay. Hasn't happened with our Elantra or Polo HUs.
lionell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 19:21   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, I'm very happy to report that I have managed to fix all squeaks and rattles from my XL6's dashboard, even the minor ones.

Source: The Central decorative panel, HeadUnit Bezel

What I used: Fabric tape and a weird substance which appears like chewing gum.

What's that weird thing?: Back in 2018, I was desperately looking for Butyl. On Indiamart, I contacted a seller. It wasn't butyl but it was something like a roll of dense chewing gum type material. It isn't sticky as such, but is sufficiently dense and flexible. Something which when applied over a loose clip, will disintegrate on its own and fill the crevices, which otherwise rattle. Unfortunately I have lost seller's number or bank account details. I have some unused rolls lying somewhere and will try to get contact details from there. Worst case- I'll help all needy BHPians with the stuff. So relax.

Steps:

1. Remove the HU bezel.

2. Pry open the ACC console.

3. Remove the HU and fix what all I have described in my previous post.

4. The outer HU bezel(matte plastic) is held by three visible screws, remove them.

5. Take a deep long breath and pull the central outer bezel from left side. You will see the left side vent and panel flexing with it. Pull the bezel hard. Everything comes out, including the central decorative panel. I was pissed off so did it very brutally. It may be difficult if you do it gently. However there is nothing to break if you have unscrewed those three screws.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200922_184658.jpg

6. The entire decorative panel across the dash, including all vents and the speedo console bezel comes out together. You will need to lower the steering console to pull it out. Disconnect the coupler of hazard switch.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200922_184619.jpg

7. Once the decorative panel was out, you will see white clips. If you hit them, they make the exact same kind of creak which we are so used to hear.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200922_144335.jpg

8. I applied the "so called butyl" over all such clips. Also gently check all visible screws. You can notice how the screw appears loose here and it was!

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20200922_144339.jpg

9.Fixing back will need a bit more effort than normal and it will not do any click sound while fixing. However just monitor the panel gaps. Also I applied some tape over the surface below which clips are there so that I don't miss pressing any clip.

10. Installation is exactly reverse of dismantling, so don't forget any couplers or screws.

Post installation, I took a long TD over all kind of horrible roads, reflectors where there used to be a creak/rattle. Happy to report that the issue is now completely fixed.

It's now time to fall in love again(Sorry Esteem!!) with the XL6.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: Feel free to ask any doubt. The issue is fixable completely, so there is nothing to worry.
Leoshashi is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 19:33   #162
BHPian

This is not a work for faint hearted. Amazed to see such a long bezel in single piece. Manufacturers should consider a different type of locks for areas like dashboard so that the chances of rattle is less.

Apart from rattling dashboard, one thing that irritates me are the creaking door beading noises some cars make.

Happy to see that you have fixed this issue once for all.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 19:38   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
This is not a work for faint hearted.
Definitely. However I was determined for a do or die(read ruined dashboard) today. Glad it didn't go the other way.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 20:07   #164
Senior - BHPian

Driving without music? Not the best thing to do.

You need some SQL setup. We discussed on it, don't go for cheap nonsense stuff available in the name of MGA. It needs a better setup. Lets discuss on this.
sidindica is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 20:16   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Driving without music? Not the best thing to do.
Yep, I sometimes prefer cruising peacefully, without any music. That's when this rattle killed all the fun during a recent trip.

I'm sure there is nothing left now to rattle.

Regarding speakers, I'll surely consult you before finalising anything. I'm a noob when it comes to ICE.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks