Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2022, 10:15   #1156
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by debugged View Post
the Nexa service had filled 5w30 castrol and after 5k run, the engine sounds very harsh. I was thinking of changing to 0w16 at a local FNG. There is only one option on Boodmo [https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-9999...shl-50726096/] . Has anyone ordered/found it to be genuine?
Yes it's genuine, you can also find this easily at MGP stores nearby.

Quote:
Also, what is the part number for the crush gaskel/seal for the oil sump. I see only one option https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-gask...0x1_5-6790387/ or https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-11519m60m00-31601623/
The first one.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 12:49   #1157
BHPian

Hi Shashi,

I am seeing this member is getting corroded due to battery water as it is just below the battery tray, wondering if you are seeing any similar issue in your car
Attached Thumbnails
My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-image.jpeg  

HornNotOkPlease is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 14:33   #1158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornNotOkPlease View Post
Hi Shashi,

I am seeing this member is getting corroded due to battery water as it is just below the battery tray, wondering if you are seeing any similar issue in your car
This is a common issue whenever battery water is overfilled, it leaks and corrodes anything underneath.

I don't allow anyone to touch battery water level now, it's monitored and maintained by me. They did mess up the level once, and I promptly fixed it.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210818_195639.jpg

Escalate and get it changed under warranty since it happened due to error of workshop. It can be easily replaced as it's only on bolts.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 18:03   #1159
BHPian

Hi @Leoshashi,

Just had a quick query on swapping the alloys and other parts from the new XL6. Is it a straight fit with the Ertiga model as well? I mean the one which was sold along just before the current update. Or does it fit only with the previous XL6 model.

Was curious since I believe they share the same platform.

Thanks
chinmaypillay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 21:59   #1160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Congratulations, this shade of silver looks quite premium.
If you are into DIYs, wax it once every 3 months.
Same case with anti rust coatings, more than the product, it's the way of application and applicator which matters
Thanks Shashi, yes new silver looks premium and gives different color shades based on outside light reflection.

I have never done any DIY. Just taken prev car for scheduled services and daily local car cleaner do his stuff, thats it
First I want to know if anti rust needed or not?

Also now since 2022 facelift is also there, please plan to create a list from all the updates/mods you have done so far and specify which are applicable to facelift and which are not. That will really help, because you know most of XL users (prev & facelift) refer this thread.

Pls also confirm if underbody engine cover part nos applicable to facelift XL also or not?

Will order few things soon like boot sound sticker, open door reflector sticker, PM2.5 filter, etc.

Can you confirm only 1 PM2.5 filter reqd at front AC or 1 more needed for rear ac?

Got 1st service done. Android auto connected using a new cable. Milage now improved to 12+ while odo is at just 700km.

Also got gear lock installed from outside, will post pics soon.
Old 2nd September 2022, 22:10   #1161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaypillay View Post
Hi @Leoshashi,

Just had a quick query on swapping the alloys and other parts from the new XL6. Is it a straight fit with the Ertiga model as well? I mean the one which was sold along just before the current update. Or does it fit only with the previous XL6 model.

Was curious since I believe they share the same platform.

Thanks
Yes everything can be done on Ertiga as well.
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 16:31   #1162
BHPian

Quote:
Jumping Boot Floor lids fixed
Hi Shashi,
Thanks for solution to thud sound. Can you confirm exact position to apply the pad? Pls see boot floor lid pic, it already has some pad and assuming new pad is to be applied over same factory pad?

Which IPA you are using, do give part no/details please!!
Attached Thumbnails
My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_20220903_1154382.jpg  

India2022 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 20:13   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, did a mod about which I am super happy and proud at the same time. The best part: No one in his/her senses would endorse this idea. But I had a theory and a belief, took a bit of risk and it all paid well. I'm feeling great because a company like MSIL with crores of resources, which is famous for sharing parts, didn't implement this. Well, MSIL can keep sharing the PW console, I'll think of something more useful!
During my regular browsing, I found out that the New Dzire with Dualjet engine comes with a plastic engine guard.
Hi @LeoShashi, gone through your mod for engine guard protective cover and I am serious in doing this earliest. I am not clear if only Engine guard (part no 72410M54T00, MRP 1620) is to be ordered or 2 floor covers also? Also in another post (My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review), you mentioned that earlier it was screwed to plastic part, now its not. Anything to be ordered from this second post or that was for your damage repair? Also thanks for giving even nuts part no, will order them as well.

Found something intresting during google search (you can review if this is of any use, I am planning to stick to actual part no from maruti workshop):

Same part no 72410M54T00 engine gurad:-
MGA website - not listed
Boodmo - not in stock
GoMechanic - Available

Slighly different part no 72410M54T01 engine guard:-
MGA - different part no - available
Boodmo - different part no - available
GoMechanic - not listed
Old 5th September 2022, 09:51   #1164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by India2022 View Post
Hi Shashi,
Thanks for solution to thud sound. Can you confirm exact position to apply the pad? Pls see boot floor lid pic, it already has some pad and assuming new pad is to be applied over same factory pad?
India2022,
I did it for my car too. So taking the liberty to answer on Leo's behalf.

The pads are NOT stuck on the lid.
These are stuck to the car body (skirt trim) where the the 'studs' on the lid touch the trim. There are 3 studs on each lids. As labelled below on the original photo taken by Leo.

The pads in effect 'tighten' the lids in the skirt preventing movement on vehicle jumps.

It is a brilliant mod by LeoShashi which Suzuki should have pre-installed. I am sure they must have heard the 'thud' during prototype TD.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210830_205327.jpg

I am also keen on the engine guard.
I am searching for a good workshop with lift who are amenable to the instructions supplied by LeoShashi.
Specially the part concerning drilling and threading holes in a 'tough' cross member.
I am not in that class of DIYer myself!

Admin,
I am not able to upload profile pic in-spite of it being 640x480 and <150K.
Is it a restriction on Newbies?
Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 7th September 2022 at 09:19. Reason: Fixing quote
drsarao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 16:41   #1165
BHPian

Quote:

Slighly different part no 72410M54T01 engine guard:-
MGA - different part no - available
Boodmo - different part no - available
GoMechanic - not listed
I had placed order for the part no 1 and received part no 2 from the service center.

And to my surprise, the part is NOT made of plastic. It is made of card board type material which is used to cover CNG tank in the boot of Ertiga. I think it will fall off itself, if gets wet while washing the inside the hood.

Installation is not done properly by Arena service center. Front side they have managed to fit only two button type locks. I will get it fitted properly during 2nd free service.
Attached Thumbnails
My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20220904_123417.jpg  

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20220904_132603.jpg  

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20220904_132728.jpg  

yoscenario2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 18:07   #1166
BHPian

Correct part no provided by LeoShashi is 72410M54T00. You have got worng part
Old 6th September 2022, 19:02   #1167
BHPian

Quote:
Correct part no provided by LeoShashi is 72410M54T00. You have got worng part
The above mentioned part number is no more available as per Maruti service center. And may have been upgraded to the newer one with serial number 01.

Last edited by yoscenario2000 : 6th September 2022 at 19:04.
yoscenario2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 22:04   #1168
BHPian

Leoshashi, Any pointers when the XL6 may get 6 airbags and/or with strong hybrid powertrain. Thanks.
Old 15th September 2022, 21:39   #1169
BHPian

Quote:
Increasing the Visibility: Part 3-Fog Lamps ...the Valeo fogs had awesome quality and the reflector design was also quite rich.
..I tried Philips Ultinon Pro9000 H11.. decided to stick to Philips Ultinon Pro9000 LEDs. Bought it offline from a Philips distributor at a decent discount. Thus my entire setup costs Rs. 11k.
Philips is 5800K and matches the Headlamp color exactly.
-The feeling of helplessness one felt earlier in well lit conditions, or when opposite vehicle came with high beams on, is now gone. The immediate surroundings and road edges are so well illuminated that one can easily carry speeds confidently. Headlamp beams still disappear but the fogs now feel substantial..

-This setup will not help in long range visibility or throw like projectors do, for that, stock headlamps are decent. This setup illuminates immediate surroundings beautifully, and that's it's USP. Scattered light lower on the road helped better than focused output projector fogs give in foggy conditions.

Any question is most welcome.

Regards,
Shashi
Hi Leoshashi,

I had gone through this post a while back, planned then that this should be my next upgrade. I was constantly checking online and hunting for the Ultinons but to no avail. The only online stores that had the bulbs in stock were Myxtur, but I have no experience doing business with them and no one I knew had even heard of it. Tried contacting them but no replies whatsoever. Amazon too had them but it was a non Prime seller and so I passed.
The Valeos were almost always in stock on Boodmo.

Then today evening while browsing through Amazon I spotted a Prime seller with the Ultinons and on a discounted price of ₹8749/-. I placed an order immediately for the Philips Ultinon 9000 Pro 5800k LEDs and also ordered the Valeos on Boodmo.

Going through your post made me realize that this was the exact upgrade I too need for the lights. Was also more inclined towards this same setup as it won't blind motorists coming opposite at night and will serve my purpose well.

Then what you said about the stock setup is 100% true, We had gone on a family trip to the neighbouring state last week. On our way back in the evening, the fog was at its worst and the only thing that helped me manage somehow was that I was very familiar with the ghat sections. The stock fogs are a joke and the headlights even though I've aligned using your inputs a while back, couldn't cut more than 7-8 feet ahead on lows, High was obviously and absolutely of no use in the conditions.
If this was a non familiar route, I would have no choice but to park and wait but the fog doesn't go away that easy on routes like these. There are many spots where there are no guardrails or even vegetation to prevent one from driving off the edge into the deep valley below.

Then I tested the new upgraded suspension, 16 inch wheels and tyres thoroughly on the trip. They are absolutely fantastic. Makes one very confident and sure footed. Tyre noise is almost non existent and the grip those UC6s offer in the wet, dry and especially on fast corners is absolutely amazing.

I would second you and advice anyone who's going for a wheel swap on the pre-facelift car to spend a little more and swap the suspension too. The difference in ride and handling is that brilliant from before.

Will share feedback about the upgrade after work is done and tested.

Here's a pic from the trip.
Attached Thumbnails
My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img_20220912_120413.jpg  

Last edited by jalex77 : 15th September 2022 at 21:52.
jalex77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 09:08   #1170
BHPian

Switching from Manual to Automatic 101

I switched from Manual Innova to XL6 Automatic about 2 months ago.

It took a while to remember to fix my left foot firmly on the given platform and keep my left hand away from the 'gear shift' after moving it to "D"!

After that it was pretty smooth sailing with an added bonus of auto stop at signals and traffic jams.

However, I still faced a couple of annoyances:
  1. When changing from Park, I had to look at the lever carefully to be sure that it stopped at "D" and not overshoot to "M".
  2. Similarly, when changing from "D" to "R", I had to be careful to not overshoot to Park.
These were so annoying and probably faced by all Newbies that I figured, there must be a solution. Sure enough, the manual provided it.

My mistake was moving the gearshift ALWAYS with the lock knob (near the top) pushed in. That's a strict a no-no.

The lock knob should be pushed-in only in following conditions:
  1. Moving-out of Park or moving-in to Park.
  2. Moving-in to Manual.
  3. Moving-in to Reverse.
This achieves the following (when not pressing the lock knob):
  1. Blindly move all the way from Park to "D". (No peeking required)
  2. Blindly move from "D" to "N".
  3. Press lock button and move from anywhere to Park.
I am sure for the veterans here, it must be second nature.

But for some of the Newbies like me who do not read the manual (or even after reading the manual) take some time to understand the 'right' way.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-pic.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Leoshashi, Any pointers when the XL6 may get 6 airbags and/or with strong hybrid powertrain. Thanks.
6 airbags probably never! Which will be sad to say the least. Or they may 'offer' it in the top models.

The MV rule supposed to be implemented from 1 Oct states:
"government will make it mandatory for the carmakers to provide a minimum of six airbags in motor vehicles that can carry up to eight passengers"

Strong Hybrid power-train is already implemented in the current flagship Grand Vitara/Hyryder. So probably XL6 will be 'ignored'.

In fact, with the great festival launch of the "Grand Vitara", Maruti has stopped pushing XL6 altogether.

Leoshashi, your views?

Name:  6 airbags.JPG
Views: 872
Size:  93.2 KB

Last edited by vb-saan : 16th September 2022 at 13:11. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another.
drsarao is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed