Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2020, 21:06   #31
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV300 AMT Automatic W8 : Ownership Review

Thought of continuing the ownership experience and keep this thread alive.

Took her for second service today. It is 10k km or 10 months after 1st service, whichever is earlier. Thanks to Covid, my odo still stands at 4.6k.

I am still in Trivandrum and hence opted a MASS centre here just 5km from my place.

Oil change - M&M Maxmile FEO 6.1 litres. Oil filter, washer seal, AC filter replaced. Also chose optional fumigation (M&M Maxicare interior sanitiser). The total consumable and labour charges came to Rs. 4.2k

Since my last post, 2 more AC vent clips came out by itself. Now all 4 have gone. The glue marking were clearly visible in all four, I am still believing this was done by the Automotive MASS (Langar House, Hyd), where I had given for AC deep cleaning during the first service (to get rid of new car plastic smell ).

Service Advisor says they would need to replace the entire AC vent and would cost around 4k per vent. I chose not to do it now, need to find alternatives.

Also got the brakes checked, looks like they have done some changes (or just cleaned the calipers and discs). I have a 260km trip coming midweek, will update post that.

I reported the cruise control related anomaly (when turned ON at a lower gear in Auto mode), SA apparently has reported it to Mahindra and will wait for the response.
Vijin is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 00:29   #32
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car. That's a great thread, very well written and informative. I really like the design of the XUV3OO (especially the headlamps), I thought it would do at least close to as well as the 5OO and was surprised when it didn't. It looks great, is loaded to the hilt with features, safety is best in class, after sales is good and the car offers the best VFM. You've made a great choice and I wish you many happy years of trouble free ownership.
BMvW.Rajat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 13:51   #33
BHPian

Updates:
Drove around 600 km post second service, no visible difference. Fuel average stands at 17.63 km/l with mixed highway and city usage.

Took some reading, with the help of OBD2 scanner and Torque Pro app, to see how much I generally demand from the engine while doing city drives. Probably amateur for Tbhp standards , however thought of sharing it here. I also plan to do same on a highway drive.

All data collected in AMT auto mode.

Drive 1:Office hour drive with decent amount of traffic

Mahindra XUV300 AMT Automatic W8 : Ownership Review-speedvsrpm_trip1.png
With avg speed around 20 Km/h

Mahindra XUV300 AMT Automatic W8 : Ownership Review-torquevsrpm_trip1.png
Averaging around 25 Nm

Mahindra XUV300 AMT Automatic W8 : Ownership Review-turbovsrpm_trip1.png
Averaging around 5 PSI

Mahindra XUV300 AMT Automatic W8 : Ownership Review-hpvsrpm_trip1.png
Horsepower average around 6-7 hp?

Drive 2: Similar city road, less traffic

Mahindra XUV300 AMT Automatic W8 : Ownership Review-speedvsrpm_trip2.png
With avg around 50kmph

Mahindra XUV300 AMT Automatic W8 : Ownership Review-torquevsrpm_trip2.png
Averaged around 80-90 Nm

Mahindra XUV300 AMT Automatic W8 : Ownership Review-turbovsrpm_trip2.png
Averaged around 10 Psi

Mahindra XUV300 AMT Automatic W8 : Ownership Review-hpvsrpm_trip2.png
Average Horsepower around 17-18 hp

Points noted:
  • Idling @ 842 rpm
  • Turbo boost > 1 psi @ ~870 rpm
  • On an average AMT first upshifts @ ~2200rpm, next @ 2100 rpm, 1900 rpm, 1800 rpm and so forth.
  • Highest rpm which AMT allowed to hold the gear- 2343.5 rpm
  • Point where I demanded most from my engine:
    • Engine Load(%) 93.72549438
    • Engine RPM(rpm) 1699.25
    • Horsepower 51.03277588
    • Speed (OBD)(km/h) 55
    • Torque(Nm) 213.8542938
    • Turbo Boost 22.48085022
Vijin is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 09:56   #34
BHPian

Can you please elaborate on the ease of maintenance of the aquamarine color? The black color is generally prone to easy scratches which are quite visible. Is it same for the aquamarine?
Old 22nd November 2020, 07:22   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansGT View Post
Can you please elaborate on the ease of maintenance of the aquamarine color? The black color is generally prone to easy scratches which are quite visible. Is it same for the aquamarine?
I too have few minor scratches, especially on the bonnet. The glossy nature of the paint makes them quite visible.
Vijin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 11:35   #36
BHPian

Updating thread:

Last 3 months, my usage has been restricted to around 600-700 kms per month, but getting nearly 18 kmpl average with 10% city drive and 90% on 2 lane state highways of Kerala.

Mahindra XUV300 AMT Automatic W8 : Ownership Review-1606884834722.jpg
Not bad, I guess.

Continuing my effort on create a dyno chart, I have made few more charts for my analysis.

From some recent short state highway runs:
Point I demanded max. from engine:
  • Torque :211.61 Nm at 1977 rpm (59 Hp)
  • Intake manifold pressure : 36.98 psi (14.5 psi atmospheric + 22.48 psi Turbo boost)
  • Engine load -90%

Run1:
Mahindra XUV300 AMT Automatic W8 : Ownership Review-picture1.pngMahindra XUV300 AMT Automatic W8 : Ownership Review-picture2.png

Run2:
Mahindra XUV300 AMT Automatic W8 : Ownership Review-picture3.png
Mahindra XUV300 AMT Automatic W8 : Ownership Review-picture4.png
Vijin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 23:25   #37

Hi, Just wanted some input and advice on XUV300 AMT purchase... as you have already owning an AMT.. you know how best it performs on daily use.

I have a regular Geared car - Suzuki SCross DDiS. Looking for switching SCross to XUV300 AMT because

a. Driving long distance 50 KMS daily in city traffic condition so Automatic is best choice

b. There no other car within my budget with Automatic Diesel (Nexon not considered here).

Some of my questions

a. Hows the Gear box performing? For me AMT is not a time tested technology. I saw somewhere that there are some niggling issues with AMT where it engages to neutral beyond a certain speeds. Have you been having a smooth and a flawless drive so far in different driving conditions?

b. Have you experienced hill or Ghat section driving in AMT? Hows the engine response under Steep climb circumstances and how does AMT respond to it? Do you change to Manual override or drive uphill in Automatic itself

c. What is the TCO (Total cost of ownership) you are incurring - like Service Cost PLUS Insurance renewal cost (1st Year).

d. In general, would you honestly recommend to invest in this AMT tech.

Thanks.
Old 10th December 2020, 19:29   #38
BHPian

Hi Hemu,
First of all, welcome to team bhp and thank you for reaching out to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemu-24-07 View Post
a. Hows the Gear box performing?
I had no surprises till date, touchwood. It works as expected, little jerky on hard pedal, pretty smooth on light foot drive. I haven't come across any scenario where gear shifts to N by itself.

Quote:
b. Have you experienced hill or Ghat section driving in AMT?
Again, if in AMT auto mode and going uphill, you will be ok as long as you are light-footed, otherwise, AMT gets confused and keeps shifting up and down, the manual mode is the better option in that case. On the other hand, car detects downhill immediately and holds the gear even if you press hard.

Quote:
c. What is the TCO (Total cost of ownership) you are incurring - like Service Cost PLUS Insurance renewal cost (1st Year).
First service, ofcourse, was free, the second one cost me Rs. 3,400 plus some sanitisation charges of 750.
I am about to renew insurance (Own damage insurance only, TP is good for another 2 years) and I am getting quotation around 12k (with Rs. 9.5 L IDV).
Fuel log app says I spent Rs. 5.60 per km.

Quote:
d. In general, would you honestly recommend to invest in this AMT tech.
I would definitely recommend this car as a whole to anyone who asks me. However, since your ask is specific to AMT, I would request you to take as much test drives as possible. It is a Marelli AMT, variants of which are plonked into most of the other AMT cars in India. The trick is to understand the shift pattern and engine behaviour. For eg. I wouldn't recommend you AMT if you are looking spirited drives. This is good for normal city drives and sedate highway drives.

Hope this helps, happy hunting!
Vijin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 16:12   #39

Thanks a lot for your feedback.
Old 21st January 2021, 23:02   #40

Hi Vijin,

Hats off on a very well penned review !! I am looking at the XUV300 diesel as well.

When I took a test drive, I asked the sales person if any additive was needed to keep up with the BS6 norms. Had read that you need to add an additive for ensure BS6 compliance for a diesel engine.

However, the sales person told me that this additive is not needed on the XUV300 as the engine is already compliant to BS6.

Would you know if this is true/correct please?

Thanks, Sandeep
Old 21st January 2021, 23:05   #41

Hats off to a very well penned review !!

One question though - Would you know please if we need to add an additive to ensure the diesel engine remains BS6 compliant.

I was told by the sales person that the XUV300 does not need any such additive since the diesel engine is already BS6 compliant.
Old 22nd January 2021, 17:15   #42
BHPian

Hi Vijin
Congratulations and all best wishes for a memorable ownership experience.
One question. How does the hill hold behave on inclines? Since its AMT wanted to know this characteristic.
Old 23rd January 2021, 08:23   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydrive View Post
Hi Vijin
Congratulations and all best wishes for a memorable ownership experience.
One question. How does the hill hold behave on inclines? Since its AMT wanted to know this characteristic.
I can testify to this. I recently test drove the XUV300 on our basement. The basement has a nearly 30-40 degree incline. The hill hold works beautifully. I parked up on the slope at its steepest part (Came to a full stop) and took my foot off the brake. The car holds itself for about 3-4 seconds and then slowly starts to inch forward (upward) due to the creep function.

On the downward slope the car will hold itself in the same gear and not shift up, effectively working as engine braking.

Test drove a number of other cars as well such as the Jazz, Ecosport, Duster Turbo, Sonet - Its only the XUV300 that comes with hill descent as well.
sandeep.devapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 15:19   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydrive View Post
How does the hill hold behave on inclines? Since its AMT wanted to know this characteristic.
Thanks for the wish busydrive
I had received similar queries multiple times in my inbox, hence let me paste the response I had given, here too.

I have no major concerns, till date, related to hill hold. They work like a charm on our regular inclines.
In normal sedate drive uphill, if you apply brake midway and bring car to dead stop, you will immediately feel the hill assist holding the car steady as you release brake.

Nevertheless, there are few things which we need to adjust untill we understand the vehicle capabilities.

Firstly, it is the crawl feature which doubles up as hill hold (along with tilt sensor for detection), hence if you are starting a parked vehicle in really steep climbs, it takes a second or two before it stops rolling back. So, in such scenario I still use handbrake.

Secondly, in uphill stop and go scenario, like bumper to bumper traffic in a climb, hill hold gets confused sometimes after multiple braking and similar to above takes another second before it stops rolling back.

Furthermore, if you are in AMT auto mode and going steep uphill, make sure you are light-footed. Otherwise, AMT gets confused and keep shifting up and down. The manual mode is the better option if you like spirited climbing.

Regarding downhill control, I have not faced any issues. Car detects immediately and holds the gear even if you press hard.

Hope this helps
Vijin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 15:34   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep.devapur View Post
Hi Vijin,

Had read that you need to add an additive for ensure BS6 compliance for a diesel engine.

However, the sales person told me that this additive is not needed on the XUV300 as the engine is already compliant to BS6.
Hi Sandeep,
Thanks

Mine is BS4, but I had heard similar to what your sales person told you. Most of the sub 4m Diesel cars (have <1.5 L engine) are getting DPF+ LNT instead of SCR. Hence no adblue is needed. The XUV500s and Harriers on the other hand (have >= 2L engine), got the DPF +SCR.
I will request SansGT to confirm as I read he got XUV300 BS6 variant recently. Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansGT View Post
Can you please

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks