Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2020, 12:55   #136
BHPian

re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

While everyone feels Kia has launched Sonet with a killer price, I believe they have priced it a bit on the higher side especially if compared with Venue.

Venue SXO 1.0 manual retails close to 10.8L ex showroom with 6 airbags and other safety features while Sonet HTX Plus is at 11.5L ex showroom with 2 airbags and ventilated seats, Bose system and larger touchscreen as an extra while GTX Plus with 6 airbags is 11.99L.

Similarly top end Brezza retails at 9.8L ex showroom which when compared to HTX of Sonet has more features for the price like Alloys and LED lights. Although Sonet definitely has a better build quality than Brezza, Brezza still has a safety rating of 4 star and Sonet is yet to be tested.

Last edited by midazolam : 18th September 2020 at 12:58.
midazolam is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 12:59   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
Looks like there is no fully loaded variant like a GTX+ DCT? Or is there anything thats priced more than 11.99ex? Thats a bummer as I had actually asked a few friends to wait to Sonet DCT top end rather than going for Venue SX+ DCT just for the sake of 6 airbags, ventilated seats etc.
They will get it later. The reason is simple. They didn't want to give people sticker shock at 13L almost so they capped the price at 12L and launched whatever variants they could under 12L cap.

A month or 2 later you should see GTX+ DCT and 6AT Diesel.

The same strategy was followed with the Seltos where you never had GTX+ 7DCT and 6AT till later. The 7DCT was launched silently a month later and the 6AT diesel a few months after that.
Vid6639 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 13:04   #138
Senior - BHPian

Sonet GTX+ 1.5 diesel automatic and 1.0 turbo petrol DCT prices to be revealed in coming days.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-smartselect_20200918130133_twitter.jpg

https://twitter.com/autocarindiamag/...130622464?s=19
Venkatesh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 13:04   #139

Kia Sonet Ex-Showroom Pricing.
This was sent to me by Joshi Kia Chandigarh's Staff. The diesel auto and petrol DCT pricing was about to be revealed but I guess he click the photo a bit too early. The difference between HTK+ petrol DCT and Diesel auto isn't much and the DCT is a tad bit expensive than diesel auto.
EDIT : The pricing of the GTX+ automatic transmissions wasn't announced and will be announced in a few days according to autocar. Judging by the pricing GTX+ manual variants, the autos could be 12.9 ex showroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-4a1877d6454741b7b82213648a61eab7.jpg  

Last edited by SunjamSingh : 18th September 2020 at 13:23.
SunjamSingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 13:04   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
Looks like there is no fully loaded variant like a GTX+ DCT? Or is there anything thats priced more than 11.99ex?

Edit: No GTX+ Variant in Diesel AT and DCT.
From what I understand, these variants are available but it's just that the pricing for these have not been revealed for now- maybe to avoid "sticker shock" as mentioned by some fellow BHPians earlier on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midazolam View Post
Venue SXO 1.0 manual retails close to 10.8L ex showroom with 6 airbags and other safety features while Sonet HTX Plus is at 11.5L ex showroom with 2 airbags and ventilated seats, Bose system and larger touchscreen as an extra while GTX Plus with 6 airbags is 11.99L.
You seem to be comparing manual variant of Venue with iMT variants of Sonet.

I too feel this is SMART pricing by Kia- variants are mostly such that they complement the ones offered by Hyundai (in the form of Venue) and inline with the pulse of the target consumers. Therefore, cannibalization of Venue might not be severe.

Intangible aspects like crashworthiness etc. are not considered by the average Joe (unfortunate according to me), so Nexon etc. do not have much of an advantage over Sonet. Would be interesting to see the sales chart in the next few months!

Last edited by vivek_lm : 18th September 2020 at 13:27. Reason: Added more details.
Old 18th September 2020, 13:04   #141
BHPian

Looks like there is no Sunroof + AT combination right now. I think Tata made a good move by bringing up Nexon XMA(S) ahead.
skarthiksr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 13:07   #142
Senior - BHPian

Good pricing, but not really aggressive.

Comparing with the Ecosport (which IMO is still segment best), the Diesel Ecosport S is priced at 11.7 L. A 30K price difference. The gap widens when you compare the Petrol models with Ecosport coming in at 11.21L

So what does the additional 30K (Diesel) and 80K(Petrol) get you in Sonnet?

1) Front parking sensors
2) Ventilated seats
3) Full LED headlights ( Ecosport gets a HID in low beam, conventional reflector high beam)
4) Air Purifier (Is this really useful or just a gimmick?)
5) Wireless Charger (More than the cars offering this feature, the mass market phones need to have wireless compatibility )
6) Bigger bootspace at 392 L to 352 of Ecosport
7) Drive modes with terrain modes

Ecosport balances it out by-

1) Keyless entry/exit at both front doors.
2) Auto Wipers
3) Standard size alloy spare wheel
4) Better rear seat comfort for 2, Sonet's rear seat is placed a bit too low.
5) Puddle lamps

Some bits like Bigger glovebox(but not cooled) compartment with a light, vanity mirrors with light, all backlit switches, make the Ecosport tad bit better. Kia should not have cut corners atleast in the backlit switches department.

Apart from that I don't think Sonet will come anywhere close to the Ecosport's point and shoot ride and handling balance!

IMO, Sonet, unlike the Seltos is a slightly overhyped prospect, considering the competition.

Last edited by 07CR : 18th September 2020 at 13:09.
07CR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 13:08   #143
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quick comparison between the Sonet vs Venue (source - Capital Kia Chennai)
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-sonet-vs-venue.jpg  

Striker is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 13:12   #144
BHPian

Another reason might be they might have large number of bookings for the top variants but not enough stock to cater to the demand. By postponing the price reveal they have more time to produce enough stock.

Also, the sticker price shock as fellow members have mentioned might have led to large number of booking cancellations so they are waiting once the customers perceive it to be good product they will be ready to pay the premium the company is demanding.

Just like in the case of Seltos people were ready to pay the premium for the top variants once they had experienced that the premium is worth it.

Last edited by sv97 : 18th September 2020 at 13:14.
sv97 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 13:20   #145
BHPian

The Kia Sonet gets a killer pricing and I am sure that we will surely be seeing a number of them on the roads everyday soon.
Here is a detailed comparison of the Sonet pricing with its rivals.
(Source: 91Wheels)
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-img20200918wa0022.jpg  

MrBeast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 13:29   #146
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandatrooper View Post
Sonet's sister concern Hyundai Venue gets a price tag of 11.63 Lakhs ex-showroom for the top of the line DCT model. Sonet gets a price tag of whopping 11.99 Lakhs ex-showroom for the top end iMT transmission while DCT is not even listed. Am I missing something here ?
The Venue DCT is not available in the true top end variant. It is available in the SX+ trim and not the SX(O).
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 13:33   #147
BHPian

Kia has played it very safe with the variant pricing and everyone is going to go for the Trim which is higher in the respective price bands.

Trims which make absolutely no pricing sense is the htk+ imt. All of them will easily pick the htx and then the htx has a long list of features.

2 big misses are alloy wheels and the rear wiper. (Most of the consumers will overlook these missing pieces) and many will be happy to swap their steel wheels with alloys. (The tire sizes are same across 215/60-16)

They have played the volume game here and when htx is priced at 9.99, I'm sure this variant gives all the csuv's in this segment run for their money.

HTX iMT is a great and sensibly priced variant if you ok to live with the iMT. If they had a MT at the same price, what a win win situation would that be! I would not mind paying same amount for a MT. I'm sure those days are not far away where we will have to cough up more for a MT.
Old 18th September 2020, 13:36   #148
Senior - BHPian

Base version will be 8+ Lacs on road and looks like it won't have all 4 power windows (only front), not even basic music system and no wheel covers as well, interesting. Not sure if this is good move by Kia. So it's basically just to attract customers, nothing else.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 13:51   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

HTK+ diesel AT is 10K cheaper than the DCT turbo petrol HTK+, could a similar thing be seen in the GTX+ variants of both the engines is the point to be seen! Also I don’t see this as killer pricing just because the base variant is priced low! Base variants are just for low entry point in the pricing and will witness the least sales.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 14:00   #150
BHPian

The lower spec 1.2ltr petrol with 89bhp losses out to the Nexons 120bhp. It looks overpriced in that range for the performance. 120bhp 1ltr turbo starts close to 10lakhs.
rascalangel is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks