Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2020, 00:04   #226
BHPian

re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by midazolam View Post
Hello guys, had a query, hopefully members can help me out.

Since now Kia has launched the 1.0 turbo petrol and 1.5 Diesel manual at more or less same price point, going for which engine makes sense for someone who has more or less limited running like 10k per annum?

What would be the difference in long term maintenance and service costs of these two engines? Since Diesel engine gives better mileage than the 1.0 turbo along with slightly lesser fuel cost, long term maintenance, service and spares are the only thing we need to consider now to make a decision.
Your location shows Delhi. Logic states that with a low running and Delhi as location, petrol should be the obvious choice. Some of the folks have burnt hands with NGT orders and you never know when they again amend the timeline. NGT doesn't like diesel. Safer choice is petrol.
Having said that, take a TD of both cars and let your heart choose the steed. Nothing beats a test drive irrespective of the logics applied while selecting your car.
headbanger is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 00:59   #227
BHPian

Test drive a imt today and surely not able to understand if I want one as the tech is very new. Honestly right now the only car I would consider is an automatic. Anything but jerky amt's also I am not sure with the current pricing strategy if we will ever get a decent DCT or CVT around 10L price band.

Sure sonet has a great set of features, presence and also pretty good engine.

Driving iMT was good wasn't as complicated and was almost natural with a little itch in the left leg.

However, should I cough up 12L (otr BLR) FOR HTX or should I consider some other car? 12L would be me absolutely highest that I'm willing to spend right now.
Old 20th September 2020, 01:36   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
Your location shows Delhi. Logic states that with a low running and Delhi as location, petrol should be the obvious choice. Some of the folks have burnt hands with NGT orders and you never know when they again amend the timeline. NGT doesn't like diesel. Safer choice is petrol.
Thanks for the reply, currently NCR based, would anyways get the car registered in my hometown, so not worried about 10 year diesel rule. Turbo petrol manual was the obvious choice for me but for some stupid reason Kia decided to skip manual option and I'm definitely not going for iMT. Thus the confusion.
Old 20th September 2020, 02:24   #229
BHPian

I had booked a Sonet in Kolkata, with the top-spec Diesel automatic on my mind. I'm not sure now.

The segment leader in terms of build and driving dynamics, comparable in terms of safety, Ford Ecosport sport Diesel was available for 12.75L on the road. And I was hoping to get the Sonet automatic for 13.5L on the road, at max. Compared to the Ecosport S, this doesn't offer anything substantial to command a 1.7L premium.
For a sub 4m car, built on a platform that may not be safer, 14.5L on the road is a little too much for my liking. I'm disappointed with the pricing to be honest.
Once the initial euphoria dies, I expect discounts on the top models.
I'll probably cancel the booking.
7000plusrpm is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 02:40   #230
BHPian

How is a 1.2L Petrol MT car seating 5 and producing 89bhp priced at 10L OTR a ‘killer pricing’ or ‘Value for money’? I understand all the accessories and comfort features make a difference though from other less priced cars but I feel those still seem not account for the advertised price for it to be called those for me.

I understand the prices are all relative based on each one’s affordability and what they prefer in a car as well but words being thrown around doesn’t make sense to me anymore.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 20th September 2020 at 02:43.
Yieldway17 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 03:52   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
How is a 1.2L Petrol MT car seating 5 and producing 89bhp priced at 10L OTR a ‘killer pricing’ or ‘Value for money’?
Add to it : platform of Santro(K1) with an unstable body shell in GNCAP crash tests
greyhound82 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 07:34   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
Add to it : platform of Santro(K1) with an unstable body shell in GNCAP crash tests
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-rating-415315

While this might not be the exact same model/set of features as the Indian one, it is relevant to note that this is obviously on the same K1 platform. So it may not be very fair to make a sweeping judgment on the platform.
Old 20th September 2020, 08:20   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midazolam View Post

Since now Kia has launched the 1.0 turbo petrol and 1.5 Diesel manual at more or less same price point, going for which engine makes sense for someone who has more or less limited running like 10k per annum?.
They have made the decision quite tough for those contemplating a manual/IMT. The HTX iMT and HTX Diesel manual both retail for 9.99 ex-showroom. The Diesel would have been an obvious choice had they both been manuals, as the engine offers good punch and far superior fuel economy, however, the Turbopetrol comes with an iMT transmission. The convenience factor stemming from iMT is very high for those who go spend time in city commutes. The iMT is 75% as good as an automatic, since the major pain point in commuting is the clutch pedeal modulation and constant work for the left leg and this is now gone! The engine on offer with the iMT is also the quite capable and proven 1.0 Turbo. It will return poor fuel economy in the city but out on the highway, its fuel efficiency may be OK at moderate speeds up to 100 kph. The Diesel on the other hand, will have stellar fuel economy in both conditions, which will also be less sensitive to driving style. Reviewers are reporting a full tank range exceeding 1000 km on the Diesels!

So all in all, it is quite a conondrum! On the balance, I would say unless you drive a lot, the convenience of the iMT wins and I would pick the HTX Petrol iMT over the HTX Diesel manual.

But how I wish they had launched the HTK+ Diesel AT at the same price point! Would have been the right choice among the whole host of the mid-range variants for 90% of the people. But by pricing that king of variants over 10 lakhs, Kia has ensured the HTX iMT and HTX Diesel manual have a life!

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 20th September 2020 at 08:24.
84.monsoon is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 08:52   #234
Senior - BHPian

Kia Sonet deliveries begin

Kia Sonet : Official Review-smartselect_20200920084749_chrome.jpg

Quote:
The most bookings has been received for GTX+ automatic petrol and diesel variants. But Kia has not revealed prices of these two variants. As per dealer sources, these two variants are expected to be priced at Rs 12.99 lakhs, ex-sh. This will effectively take the on road price of Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT Petrol and GTX+ 6AT Diesel over Rs 15 lakhs in almost all cities of India.
https://www.rushlane.com/kia-sonet-f...-12376247.html
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 09:53   #235
Senior - BHPian

Have you guys noticed the doors feel lighter in the Test Drive cars? I think it was the pre-production model, but the doors felt really heavy on the display unit. Now, when I took the Test Drive it didn't feel that solid (Not flimsy, but can be compared to Nexon)
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 11:43   #236
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post

While this might not be the exact same model/set of features as the Indian one, it is relevant to note that this is obviously on the same K1 platform.
The Venue and Sonet are built on the i20 (GB) platform and not the K1 platform!

Last edited by RSR : 20th September 2020 at 11:50.
RSR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 11:59   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
. So it may not be very fair to make a sweeping judgment on the platform.
Unfortunately, all we can do is make a conclusion either positively or negatively based on just assumptions since Hyundai-Kia seem to have stopped going to GNCAP and we will never know the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Hyundai's Venue and Kia's Sonet are built on the i20 (GB) platform and not the K1 platform!
The global Venue and Sonet are based on the GB Platform but not in India.
I doubt if India has seen any cars based on the GB Platform. The older i20 and Verna in India were based on the older PB Platform while the GB Platform is its successor globally.

Hyundai themselves have made it clear that all their mass market vehicles sold in India will be based on just two platforms: K1 and K2 (similar to Heartect Platform usage by Maruti)
  • All Sub-4M vehicles from Hyundai-Kia in India will based on the same K1 Platform
  • It is correct that Xcent, Grand i10, Santro, Venue and Sonet are all based on the K1 platform. The K1 Platform in fact a modified version of the Hyundai Eon's platform which was also known as the SA Platform.
  • The 2017 and beyond Verna, 2020 Creta and Seltos are based on the Superior K2 platform which is a modified Elantra platform.

References:
Exclusive: Hyundai To Launch Two New Models Based On The New Santro's K1 Platform In 2019 : Link 1
Hyundai to bring new models in 2019 based on the new Santro's K1 platform - Link 2

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 20th September 2020 at 12:09.
vsrivatsa is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 11:59   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
The Venue and Sonet are built on the i20 (GB) platform and not the K1 platform!
I’ve seen this K1 criticism earlier too so I took it as the same platform. However, the point I was trying to make is that the Sonet need not be crucified on the Santro NCAP rating.

And I’m surprised that Kia will use 2 separate platforms for the Sonet considering that India will be the manufacturing hub.

Last edited by wilful : 20th September 2020 at 12:06.
Old 20th September 2020, 12:06   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I’ve seen this K1 criticism earlier too so I took it as the same platform. However, the point I was trying to make is that the Sonet need not be crucified on the Santro NCAP rating.

And I’m surprised that Kia will use 2 separate platforms for the Sonet considering that India will the manufacturing hub.
Our postings have criss-crossed - check my post above - your understanding about Sonet being based on K1 is correct
vsrivatsa is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 12:08   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Our postings have criss-crossed - check my post above - your understanding about Sonet being based on K1 is correct
So they will manufacture the Sonet on 2 platforms in India- one for the domestic market and the other for export?
Surprisingly that Autocar link I posted expects a 4 star rating at least on the Indian Venue.

Last edited by wilful : 20th September 2020 at 12:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks